BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 20
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 12:10:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ronnoc] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:

@Ronnoc curious why you did thermal before NV? I am in the process of saving up to own the night and unsure which to go with. thermal has a clear shooting advantage, but also being electronic it will continue to drop in price/increase quality (moore's law?). a PVS 14 is analog and can be used for a bunch more than shooting. I don't hunt but still conflicted
View Quote

@steviesterno16

I went that way after lots of reading in the forums and talking to people.  It's definitely not top end but works well enough to around 150 for man-sized images, even 200.  I live rurally and for me it's a matter of monitoring my surroundings at night.  It's not ideal for walking around with, would need better quality, but looking for and identifying threats is helpful.  

I am in a small town and the area is not overgrown.  Also since realistically I am at my bug out location, hopefully it will be better for that.  The one I got has an ADM mount QD so I can use it on a rifle or pull off for scanning.  I had planned on a higher quality one meaning more money but this suited.  NODs are also something I want but felt that thermal was a priority.  My thought is also that residual heat would be easier to spot and with no movement from whatever I am observing.  Some heat can also bleed through light cover of plants.

I also deer hunt, so could be helpful in finding downed deer in the woods or in heavy brush.  Also using it for looking for hot spots in the house or escaping heat.  I do have a Gen 1 handheld monocular that is adequate for my yard for scanning.  

I wanted a Bering, but at around $2300-2500 vs $1k, I went with this.  I reviewed a lot of info from various pics and videos and felt it met my needs.  Also, no IR needed for advertising your presence.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 11:53:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chris_in_TX] [#2]
Wife and I were poking around at Tractor Supply.  Picked up some canning jars.  Found a Presto 16qt pressure canner that was mismarked on the shelf for $99.  The computer rang it up for $149 but they gave it to me for the shelf price.  I'm sure that shelf tag was quickly replaced. The same model is also $149 om Amazon.  I think we got a great deal.

Also picked up a bunch of canned fish and some Augason #10 cans. Black Bean burger and hash browns.  My wife has been getting serious about food storage lately.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 6:28:09 PM EDT
[#3]
a few pounds of cheese in the harvest right and more goat milk.

did some target shooting with my CCW's

got a 2000 gal tank to make a root cellar

Link Posted: 7/25/2022 6:39:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Ordered some 22LR...  I miss the old days of sub $15 bricks.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 6:23:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By thederrick106:
View Quote

I dug one out of my stash not to long ago that still had the paper Walmart pricetag sticker on it:  $11.99.

I cussed.... a lot.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:56:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Tipsovr:

I dug one out of my stash not to long ago that still had the paper Walmart pricetag sticker on it:  $11.99.

I cussed.... a lot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I cussed.... a lot.

Right?  New NY laws go into effect in about another month.  I just said fuck it and ordered some more 22LR online while I still can.  After that it's time to focus on other preps such as another year's firewood...
$37.99 per 500 delivered post tax...  WTF...  .076 cents per round for 22LR.  We are fucked.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:47:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Been buying 2 cases of water a day and what doesn’t go in the cooler gets stocked up, finished up the second pantry and got it stocked and organized and got more canned food for the original pantry since space opened up

Link Posted: 7/28/2022 3:57:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GunBacon] [#8]
I turned one gallon of milk into yogurt for the cost of a gallon of milk. I use my sous vide which at 1000 watts takes about $1 of energy. I'm currently freeze drying my completed yogurt which I'll use as a powder for my smoothies and/or when I just want yogurt. I also bought 3 Boston butts and a beef brisket all for half off at Kroger and I'm working through turning it into Pulled pork and shredded beef, of which will all be freeze dried.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:04:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Right?  New NY laws go into effect in about another month.  I just said fuck it and ordered some more 22LR online while I still can.  After that it's time to focus on other preps such as another year's firewood...
$37.99 per 500 delivered post tax...  WTF...  .076 cents per round for 22LR.  We are fucked.
View Quote

I'm sorry... whiskey tango foxtrot?  You all have a crazy tax on ammo now?  
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 1:04:02 PM EDT
[#10]

View All Quotes

It will get worse when they try to implement ammo background checks for each purchase soon.  Our really only option to buy any amount will be to make an out of state trip.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 2:51:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Local grocer has 10# rolls of 80/20 ground beef for $2/#.

I'm dehydrating one roll and making burgers (freezer) with a second. I'll check my freezer space and pick up a third if I can make a place to put it...
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 9:32:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Had sticker shock at the grocery, but added some much needed pork chops to the freezer.

Link Posted: 7/31/2022 8:39:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Been riding the wife to bulk up on our long term food stuffs.  Last night we went to Aldi, filled up two shopping carts, and the total was just over 300.00

I was actually expecting a higher tab.  Today we hit Costco and maybe Jewel.  I like Jewel's variety but damn they are expensive these days.  

I have a few 20lb propane tanks, one is full, the other two are partially filled but one is past its service date so I cannot get it refilled.  Is it possible to fill it from the 100lb tank in my RV?
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 9:47:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Former11BRAVO] [#14]
Originally Posted By cubie:
https://i.imgur.com/VBN0dGt.jpg
View Quote

I take it you're not in an area prone to shakers?

That constitutes a lot of work and security. You should maybe think about securing the shelves to a wall and putting a board across the front of each shelf, just in case.

AL, I see. New Madrid is a real thing.

Nice work though!

ETA: I see others commented right away.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 9:55:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By PA-Minuteman:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/425704/20220712_102846_jpg-2454245.JPG

Picked up a like new 2012 1026R with a '60 inch mower deck and a Front end loader. It only has 151 hours on the clock!

Will use this tractor to slowly start working on my homestead
View Quote

I saw this in the PA thread. I have the same tractor, same deck, same front-end loader and the 60" plow.

Best investment I ever made.

Ugh! If only I hadn't traded my pick-up when I got my car for work!
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 10:01:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By garbageman:
Been riding the wife to bulk up on our long term food stuffs.  Last night we went to Aldi, filled up two shopping carts, and the total was just over 300.00

I was actually expecting a higher tab.  Today we hit Costco and maybe Jewel.  I like Jewel's variety but damn they are expensive these days.  

I have a few 20lb propane tanks, one is full, the other two are partially filled but one is past its service date so I cannot get it refilled.  Is it possible to fill it from the 100lb tank in my RV?
View Quote

Trade it in at a convenience store.

The kids who work there never check the dates. It's more expensive, but you'll then have an up to date tank.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 3:31:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Former11BRAVO:

The kids who work there never check the dates. It's more expensive, but you'll then have an up to date tank.
View All Quotes

That's what I do as well. Dollar general too. Mine is full of folks that don't even care to go outside to swap for you. They give me a key and I pick the cleanest tank with newest date
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 5:17:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By 4HShooter:
That's what I do as well. Dollar general too. Mine is full of folks that don't even care to go outside to swap for you. They give me a key and I pick the cleanest tank with newest date
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 4HShooter:

We have several local fill places that will fill them as long as they are the new style.  Date on my old tanks has never been an issue.  If it was, I would also trade it in for an exchange.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 11:26:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Finally pulled the trigger on an All American Pressure Canner with 21.5 qt capacity.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 8:52:49 PM EDT
[#20]
mixture of canning and also another load in the harvest right (milk, cheese, and veggies)

started my root clear project too!
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:20:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Stopped at a yard sale today and got 2 pairs of lined leather over-mittens for $1 each, 1 pair of mil-surp shooting mittens with liners for $2 and 2.5 dozen canning jars for $.50 each (previously marked $1/pt $2/at )
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:32:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Well, bought 100 sand bags today.  You never need em, till you need em.  Going to try and buy some here and there for various reasons.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 9:56:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By ljh824:
Well, bought 100 sand bags today.  You never need em, till you need em.  Going to try and buy some here and there for various reasons.
View Quote

I've thought about doing this. Any particular source you used?
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 10:44:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Finally finished freeze drying the last of the peaches I bought. In mylar, good for 25 years. Bad part is, they don't last 25 hours.

Everybody that tries them wants a bag. Of the box I bought, I've had about one bag for myself. Yeah, I already ate it.

Link Posted: 8/11/2022 9:47:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Pav56C:

I've thought about doing this. Any particular source you used?
View Quote

This particular purchase was an Amazon deal.  Quick search and you'll find bulk ones out there at good prices.  Depends on how many you want to buy at one time.  Living in Florida I'm surrounded by sand so no trouble filling them.

Not sure where you are but here in Florida, the counties sometimes offer free sandbags to residents.  I swing by and grab some every time they are offered.  Not sure your area does the same.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 8:00:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By ljh824:

This particular purchase was an Amazon deal.  Quick search and you'll find bulk ones out there at good prices.  Depends on how many you want to buy at one time.  Living in Florida I'm surrounded by sand so no trouble filling them.

Not sure where you are but here in Florida, the counties sometimes offer free sandbags to residents.  I swing by and grab some every time they are offered.  Not sure your area does the same.
View Quote

No sand where I am, alot of shale and slate. Might not be worth stocking If I can't fill em.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 9:59:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Today I rotated 8 five gallon jugs of fuel. Used them to top off the MH and truck and then filled them with fresh fuel and Stabil. I'm only a few hours away from a full service on my tractor and at that point everything vehicle related is GTG. I need to find some air filters for my MH genny and my Kohler engine in the Hobart welder. FYI,,,Today I went to a great estate sale and was going to buy some chains, hammers and other mundane stuff. The sale had PLENTY but the prices were all over NIB retail. I wonder if it's a sign of the times or was it just a poor pricing strategy by the owners. I saw only 1-2 people with merch in their hands walking to their cars when I was leaving.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 2:23:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Stocked up some #10 cans. Enough calories for a grown up for 4 days, and I figure the chemical make up would make it last forever.

Put in the pantry labeled “in queso emergency” and then laughed myself silly. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 5:28:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Stocked up some #10 cans. Enough calories for a grown up for 4 days, and I figure the chemical make up would make it last forever.

Put in the pantry labeled “in queso emergency” and then laughed myself silly. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/455820/BF533C93-4479-494E-96FC-334865278F81_jpe-2487719.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/13/2022 9:11:59 PM EDT
[#30]

Put in the pantry labeled “in queso emergency” and then laughed myself silly. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/455820/BF533C93-4479-494E-96FC-334865278F81_jpe-2487719.JPG
View Quote

The 6 pound can is $15 on Amazon. That's a pretty good deal.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 5:08:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By TheLASwamp:

The 6 pound can is $15 on Amazon. That's a pretty good deal.
View Quote

$8 at Sam’s
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:46:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Vaquero] [#32]
Back to workouts. I had a three week hiatus due to Covid and post Covid. I’m not sure which was worse- the Covid or the break from training- but I’m suffering for it.

First workout after Covid was a C4C foundations test that was 1.5 hours of technique and 30 minutes of shark tank attacks by higher belts with me starting on the bottom the entire time. Not a wise move health wise, but doable and was some good mental training.

I’m back to strength training - it’s coming back reasonably well. Conditioning is much slower to return.

ETA:

Checked my list for the year, I’m behind ten workouts, ahead three BJJ classes, and will hit my books for the year by next month. Gives me something to consider for next year.

Link Posted: 8/17/2022 8:49:58 AM EDT
[#33]
I split two full cords of Hickory, with an axe, for my woodstove over the last week.  

Using an a Fiskars axe against Hickory is tough.  Hickory is not a fan of being split and will make you question your use of a woodstove.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 8:51:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#34]
Where did you get the raised gardens and what did you fill them with?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 11:26:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Merlin:
View Quote

That looks like corrugated roofing. I need to do something like that to replace my wood box.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 11:49:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PointBlank82] [#36]
View All Quotes

The circular ones are from HD and the rectangle ones off Amazon. Prices have doubled since I bought these...

I filled them with damaged bags of garden soil from home depot they sell for 50% off...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08Q3M3L2G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Behlen-Country-36-in-x-12-in-Round-Galvanized-Steel-Wood-Fire-Ring-50601368/314914482

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 11:57:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Turned this from the garden

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Into this

Attachment Attached File

16pts of salsa.

Also put the skins in the dehydrator to make tomato powder for seasoning taco meat etc.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 9:58:25 AM EDT
[#38]
a little different thought process, but still preparation,  with all the crap coming from DC concerning evil black rifles... I looked at the ATF 4999 work sheet.. I realize that it could change at any time, but using the current thought process that went into the sheet,  looked at it as if it were a blueprint to the overall limits of the firearm ... I can not do anything about the subjective part of the evaluation, but looking at the objective measurements, and without the use of blade or braces built a 10.5 AR that has 1 demerit as I evaluate it... a very short Strike Industries 5.5" buffer tube with their proprietary short buffer and flat spring coupled with a Bear Creek side charging upper gives me a shoulder firing AR...the side charger negates the protruding standard charging handle (a modified right side charging handle would have been a lot cheaper, hopefully someone will make them, that still use the left side locking recess, but with a very small protrusion ) the shooting position is not comfortable, but with a dot scope, quite usable... I did have to remove the sharp edges of the plug used to close off the charging handle channel....

I'm going to try removing as much of the left side of a charging handle as possible, and see if a minimal catch release can work... regards
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 8:27:02 PM EDT
[#39]
I took out some beefs that's been hanging in the freezer for a year. Gonna make some freeze dried taco meat.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 8:46:05 PM EDT
[#40]
surplus with soft plates

Link Posted: 8/19/2022 8:23:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Changed oil in main generator and back up (one is none…).

Hooked both up and a monthly load test.

Preparing for fall (hurricanes) and winter outages.

Rotated fuel supply.

And picked up a Hybrid 46 suppressor.

Good day.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 9:55:42 PM EDT
[#42]
There are Jackery coupons floating around today.  Bought the Explorer 1000 on Amazon for $150 off and free shipping.  Almost bought it last week so my procrastination paid off.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 6:36:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jaxshtr411] [#43]
Had a nice range session on Friday and realized some short comings with my sig 716 at 300 yds. Wasn’t able to make good hits at that range. I think I need to find a dedicated load and stick with it vs shooting what ever I can find.
I’m hoping to get some green beans planted tomorrow and I’m hoping they will do well. My thought is that we will start to see some cooler temps here Florida and not burn out what I plant from here on out. I have plans of planting some other vegetables next month as well mainly cabbage and I might give lettuce a shot.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 1:28:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Picked up a steam juicer at a thrift shop for $4 yesterday.  It is an older aluminum model but everything is there.  Our grapes are starting to ripen up and will be ready to harvest in about 3 more weeks.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 11:48:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Mentioned buying the Jackery 1000 the other day.  Been tinkering around with it at home.  I've been able to power my full size refrigerator, small AC unit, various electrical appliances, etc.  So far, everything I've tried worked, including things with heating elements like my toaster, hair dryer, etc.  I plugged it in to a pretty beefy fan to inflate a bounce house yesterday to run it down to zero charge.  Today, i'm testing the charge capability using the two 100 watt solar panels  So far, not too impressed with the solar capability.  At least with these panels.  I'm only pulling in 120 wats with both panels attached.  Been hooked up for an hour now and only at 10% charged.  I've been moving the panels every 15 minutes to capture the best sunlight.  Not too overcast today either, but it is early so the sun is lower in the sky.  Hopefully in a little bit that wattage will increase.  We'll see.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 6:57:31 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

Damn...me and my son complaining about 9 cents a round. Glad I left N.Y.
Well...sometimes.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 6:35:36 PM EDT
[#47]
1.5 hours of C4C/ PJJ

Installed exterior cameras

Found a branch had split off from a tree trunk and landed on the roof. Trimmed branches and assessed damage to gutter and shingles.

Link Posted: 9/3/2022 8:17:24 PM EDT
[#48]
progress on root cellar project

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 10:56:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Over that last three days I have hand split two cords of red oak and hickory.  We took the trees down exactly one year ago and I have been slowly turning it into additional firewood.  Hickory laughs at chainsaws.  Fiskars axes are fine tools.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 1:43:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Over that last three days I have hand split two cords of red oak and hickory.  We took the trees down exactly one year ago and I have been slowly turning it into additional firewood.  Hickory laughs at chainsaws.  Fiskars axes are fine tools.
View Quote

I’m stacking cords #4 & #5 tomorrow. Monday I’m going up the mountain to harvest another cord of dead standing Douglas Fir. Will probably buy another cord next week too.
Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top