Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 20
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 11:11:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Chris_in_TX:
It has been a few months since I posted here.  

- We're still buying staples and other stuff at case lot sales.  

- Paid off my truck.  I see myself driving it for the next decade.  

- We finally got our tomatoes, beans and cucumbers planted last week.   We had a couple late freezes this year.   Planted 3 fruit trees (apple, cherry and asian pear) and a couple grape vines a couple months ago.  

- Ordered two water collection barrels and I'm going to be install some rain gutters on the back side of the house where there are none.  I'll daisy chain the barrels and have another 100 gallons of water for the garden, flushing toilets, etc.  I've got 3 already for over 150.

- Bought more ammo and a new CZ 457 Scout for my boy.  Sportsman's had a special edition with a cool laminated stock.
View Quote

@Chris_in_TX

Where did you get your rain barrels? I've tried buying some Upcycle ones off Amazon but the sellers are super flaky and I've had two misshipments that they had had to refund me for.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 6:40:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chris_in_TX] [#2]
@PointBlank82

Sam's club.  Find something on the web site that looks good.  Play around with the colors.  Some are cheaper than others.  That's why all ours don't match.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 11:14:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Bought a medium Harvest Right freeze dryer. Now I can get about half the space back in my freezers, which is taken up by Costco fruits and veggies. Replacing with proteins.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 7:33:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Weeded one of the gardens and fertized a bit.
Lightly fertlized a pasture.
Cleaned out the rest of a Y2K stash we lost track of.
Rice looked good
Another doe had a litter of rabbits last night.

THOUGHT about straightening up woodshed.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 10:34:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jaxshtr411] [#5]
I just got set of  level 4 armored plates. Now I’m looking in to getting a plate carrier. I was always kinda on the fence about armor but I feel like it’s one of those things they are going to try and outlaw soon so I went ahead and pulled the trigger.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 11:04:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Scored 200 lbs of 10-10-10 fertilizer from Walmart for $80 delivered.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 11:05:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Jaxshtr411:
I just got set of  level 4 armored plates. Now I’m looking in to getting a plate carrier. I was always kinda on the fence about armor but I feel like it’s one of those things they are going to try and outlaw soon so I went ahead and pulled the trigger.
View Quote

I did the same for the same reason.  i got some budget minded minimalist plates that can pair with my soft armor.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 5:40:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Last couple of days I've been working on better organizing the store room. I got 2 matching plano shelves for $40 on FB marketplace and another bookshelf free.

Also got a 12" impulse sealer for $20  should make the next batch of mylar go smoother
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 5:53:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Weeded the garden, tied up tomato plants, hilled potatoes, and helped the wife put up 22 pints of strawberry jam.  Going to the sawmill tomorrow to start putting up slab wood for this winter. $15 for a 6ft bed filled to the top is hard to beat
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 7:30:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Yesterday - Completed Amateur Radio Technician course, exam date TBD, messed with WinTAK/ATAK and setting up a server on a spare PC. Refit EDC bag to resume actually carrying it every day. Sourced components for software defined radio setup to give spare Android extra capability for intel gathering.

Today - Stored 35lbs of white rice, expanded the PDF library. Sourced additional mylar bags/oxygen absorbers. Wiped old laptop for WinTAK and APRS.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 8:08:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By thederrick106:

I did the same for the same reason.  i got some budget minded minimalist plates that can pair with my soft armor.
View Quote

@thederrick106 what did you go with?

I recently set up a slickster with RMA 1003 since I got tired of heavier plates but thinking maybe better rated plates is more gooder?

i set up my EDC bag to be actually useful instead of full of random crap. It's got soft armor, a real first aid kit, meds I could need, EDC tools, etc. Going to fly this week and wanted a NPE-safe set up
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 9:07:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:

@thederrick106 what did you go with?

I recently set up a slickster with RMA 1003 since I got tired of heavier plates but thinking maybe better rated plates is more gooder?

i set up my EDC bag to be actually useful instead of full of random crap. It's got soft armor, a real first aid kit, meds I could need, EDC tools, etc. Going to fly this week and wanted a NPE-safe set up
View Quote

I went with the AR500 Freeman setup:  

https://www.ar500armor.com/ar-freeman.html

Its very minimalistic but probably as much as I would ever actually ever use.  Plus it doesn't break the bank.

I keep soft armor in the back seat of my work car.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 11:21:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Its very minimalistic but probably as much as I would ever actually ever use.  Plus it doesn't break the bank.

View Quote

That's actually a really good deal, and I like it, however; I just want to make sure you are aware of fragmentation that results from lead hitting steel. What would be going into your chest is broken up into micro pieces and spread around the plate, commonly ending up in your hands/arms and chin.

That being said I would much rather some frag in my hands chin then a round in my chest, but we can do better. I do have steel plates myself in addition to better plates that I do use daily. I intend the steel as handouts or spares now.

I would strongly recommend use the steel plates for now, but if you can upgrade and keep the steel as a spare/handout.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 11:25:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 1:19:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Pav56C:

That's actually a really good deal, and I like it, however; I just want to make sure you are aware of fragmentation that results from lead hitting steel. What would be going into your chest is broken up into micro pieces and spread around the plate, commonly ending up in your hands/arms and chin.

That being said I would much rather some frag in my hands chin then a round in my chest, but we can do better. I do have steel plates myself in addition to better plates that I do use daily. I intend the steel as handouts or spares now.

I would strongly recommend use the steel plates for now, but if you can upgrade and keep the steel as a spare/handout.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pav56C:

Thanks for the info.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 4:38:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Local grocer had canned green beans for $0.39/can with a limit of 6. I went through twice and got a dozen.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:27:00 PM EDT
[#17]
More rice and a bag of black beans also got a small canned ham and corned beef.

Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:37:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Rice, black beans, lentils, and pinto beans to bag in Mylar and 4 dozen eggs to freeze dry.

Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:40:29 PM EDT
[#19]
1200 m193 and 1k mk262 5 cans of baby formula and 2 more cases of water.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:43:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Suckering tomatoes and weeding.

Water tote is full.

Organizing a canning party to learn from my local experts.

I need to get more bug spray, and some natural mosquito deterrents growing.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:46:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By cubie:
https://i.imgur.com/VBN0dGt.jpg
View Quote

Just a suggestion but a length of elastic bungie cord stretched across each row of jars and fastened to the uprights might be cheap insurance. But other than that it looks great... I wish it was sitting in my home.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 11:00:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Read “one second after” again. Good reminder that food is life. Gonna stock deeper here soon
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 11:27:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Chris_in_TX] [#23]
Originally Posted By baogongmeo:

Just a suggestion but a length of elastic bungie cord stretched across each row of jars and fastened to the uprights might be cheap insurance. But other than that it looks great... I wish it was sitting in my home.
View Quote

I've done that on some of my shelves with 550 cord. I stretched three lines across the front of the shelf about 2 inches apart.   We live in a possible earthquake area.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 8:26:19 PM EDT
[#24]
two of the biggest preps yet

whole house solar system and back up batteries. Just signed contract to have installed

and just got ship notification on the harvest right freeze dryer that is shipping this week (there is around 8 week wait on them now)

Link Posted: 6/25/2022 12:33:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Joined sams club and put 25 pounds of meat vac sealed and frozen, in the freezer

Added 25 pounds of sugar and sealed another 25 pounds of rice.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 2:08:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vaquero] [#26]
1.5 hours of collar ties, duck unders, and takedowns.

1 hour of pistol drills with friends.

Training and building community.

Link Posted: 6/25/2022 2:42:52 PM EDT
[#27]
So i was ordering some stuff from amazon figured i would try ordering few cases of various canned food. I was actually surprised all but one case made it intact. The one that let go had like 2 dented cans. Then i remembered i have like 200$ in walmart gift cards and figure lets try it out. I maxed out the quantity's and figured i would get complete cases. Wrong , they just tossed all the different cans into large boxes with virtually no packing so far already have 15 smashed cans. I realize not the end of the world and i can just give them out to family/friends so they get used sooner. I know cool story
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 4:31:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Costco has a sale online of Freeze dried chicken and ground beef. Six, #10 cans of each for $549. Just arrived yesterday
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 11:15:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By chicken_rider:
So i was ordering some stuff from amazon figured i would try ordering few cases of various canned food. I was actually surprised all but one case made it intact. The one that let go had like 2 dented cans. Then i remembered i have like 200$ in walmart gift cards and figure lets try it out. I maxed out the quantity's and figured i would get complete cases. Wrong , they just tossed all the different cans into large boxes with virtually no packing so far already have 15 smashed cans. I realize not the end of the world and i can just give them out to family/friends so they get used sooner. I know cool story
View Quote
This has been my experience with Walmart shipping as well. They will throw heavy items into a box with little or no packing to have it slam around will in transit. They often put it in 2 boxes loosely when they could pack it tightly in 1.
It has got to the point where I haven't ordered much from them because of damaged and split containers.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 4:38:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By ApacheScout:
This has been my experience with Walmart shipping as well. They will throw heavy items into a box with little or no packing to have it slam around will in transit. They often put it in 2 boxes loosely when they could pack it tightly in 1.
It has got to the point where I haven't ordered much from them because of damaged and split containers.
View Quote

ever try getting any kind of refund ? or live and learn?
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 6:15:44 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

When we get damaged product we request replacements. Usually you just send the a picture of the damage and they send a replacement. You can still geve the damaged ones to those in need.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 10:46:58 PM EDT
[#32]
We are sitting pretty good on food right now. Today I picked up at least a years supply of TP, paper towels, dish washing soap, laundry soap, bath soap, shampoo, vitamins, deodorant, toothpaste, lady hygiene stuff, trash bags, and a few other items.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 8:28:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Up at 0400 for 30 minutes of 500m rows and 50 20” step ups.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 8:09:07 PM EDT
[#34]
4 cases of beef consume from Amazon - roughly the same price as walmart.  I like how amazon ships them still in the plastic flat making for easier, cleaner long term storage.  My boys like rice okay plain with soy sauce but the consume rice gets good feedback.  I suppose some use beef broth but the consume seems to be a stronger flavor.  As a kid my mother made the consume rice with pork tenderloin and mushrooms.

8 cases of Moderna Vermicelli noodles.  We eat chicken noodle soup with these weekly.  Next stop is to can the broth.  I'm going to put these in 64oz  canning jars and drop in a small oxygen absorber.

I also 'canned' 6 cases of 64oz jars with instant mashed potatoes.  Same method as above. I come out close to what the current #10 can prices of the same product but in a smaller space with reusable jars.

Finally, I've been recovering from a toe fusion surgery.  At 46 I completely lost flexibility and the pain really kept me from being as active as needed.  Being all wired up on Oxy I planned my garden expansion and researched a few different plants I don't typically grow like Seminole pumpkins, sweet potatoes and other high yield starches.  Growing up in the south these were pretty common- they grow readily but completely disgust me.  I'm hoping age has changed my attitude and taste buds.  I'm in a suburban 1.25 acre lot and trying to grow a surplus of anything is hard with 7 mouths to feed.

Link Posted: 6/28/2022 12:58:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chris_in_TX] [#35]
View Quote

I've ordered canned goods online from WM several times.   Almost every time I get smashed cans.  If it's not the shitty packing job from the warehouse, it's their delivery drivers who try to chuck the box on my porch from halfway across the front yard.

A lot of the time you can go online and do a return on the damaged cans and they won't make you return them to the store. I suppose that they think it is too much trouble and write off the damaged goods. The one time I did have to return it to the store, I got an online credit.  Damaged cans to straight to the front of the food rotation.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 5:49:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Canned 16 half pints of strawberry jam plus a few extra that didn't fit in the canner and will go straight to the fridge.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 6:28:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Worried about stuff I can't change and how I'd change it...

Then I worked 2 jobs and dreamed of an off grid solar setup large enough to power a 1 ton mini split and freezer.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 11:05:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Filled a couple of kerosene cans. Found a local place selling kerosene for $3.89. Cheapest I’ve seen in a long time.

I don’t use kerosene for much any more but like having some around and can cut diesel fuel with it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 3:40:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Picked up 320# of beef today. (1/2 animal).

Plus, local (to me) Kroger had pork loin 1.69#.

Picked up 8 of them

Link Posted: 7/15/2022 8:51:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Attachment Attached File

Picked up a like new 2012 1026R with a '60 inch mower deck and a Front end loader. It only has 151 hours on the clock!

Will use this tractor to slowly start working on my homestead
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 11:39:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: quixtr] [#41]
Read “one second after” again. Good reminder that food is life. Gonna stock deeper here soon
View Quote

That one was really good, just started "One year after"
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 12:58:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By quixtr:

View Quote

I read all 3 recently. They get a little further away from “realistic” situations but still come good lessons.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 2:13:08 PM EDT
[#43]

I read all 3 recently. They get a little further away from “realistic” situations but still come good lessons.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By quixtr:

They do make you think “what if”
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 11:46:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Gave a friend some ideas on filling holes in his preps.

Added to the non-food pantry preps.

Picked up more spices for storage.

Exercised.  

Ordered a new holster.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 7:06:11 PM EDT
[#45]
I did some gardening the other day. Tore up my cucumber and zucchini plants that I couldn’t get to produce and planted some more pepper plants which I’ve had good luck with. I’ve neglected doing some gun cleaning the past couple range sessions so I’m trying to do a couple a day to catch up.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 7:32:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Not today, but a few days ago I decided it was time to stop buying all "want" items online for two months.  Time to buckle down, save some more cash and only order things I need such as replacement parts when fixing something etc.  I have enough stuff and need to take a break.

So far so good, only thing I ordered this week was a spare air filter for my car because I realized I didn't have a spare.  Being a motor head, I always keep a few spare consumables on hand.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 9:08:53 PM EDT
[#47]
just sent the check for the whole house solar

and have been using the harvest right every other day

today we have a few dozen eggs, Goat milk, and veggies (we have the large)

it's been great!
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 11:03:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By PA-Minuteman:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/425704/20220712_102846_jpg-2454245.JPG

Picked up a like new 2012 1026R with a '60 inch mower deck and a Front end loader. It only has 151 hours on the clock!

Will use this tractor to slowly start working on my homestead
View Quote

That's really clean for 10 years old. Keep it serviced and you should be golden for a long time. Kudos
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 12:23:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ronnoc] [#49]
AGM Rattler 19 thermal imager purchased and received.  Ordered a PSA Dagger pistol with night sights they have on sale and free shipping.  I might just stash that in a hiding place in my vehicle as a BUG.

Still might need to get some regular night vision.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 8:47:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Ronnoc:
AGM Rattler 19 thermal imager purchased and received.  Ordered a PSA Dagger pistol with night sights they have on sale and free shipping.  I might just stash that in a hiding place in my vehicle as a BUG.

Still might need to get some regular night vision.
View Quote

@Ronnoc curious why you did thermal before NV? I am in the process of saving up to own the night and unsure which to go with. thermal has a clear shooting advantage, but also being electronic it will continue to drop in price/increase quality (moore's law?). a PVS 14 is analog and can be used for a bunch more than shooting. I don't hunt but still conflicted
Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top