Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 20
Posted: 5/20/2020 8:51:01 AM EDT
I feel like these threads were always on the top page, and although I rarely posted, I always read through them for ideas when I was sitting idle.
Searched through all the posts and the most recent one I could find archived is from 2009!!! There must be a glich in the matrix, I also noticed that it says "locked at 100", yet there's only 50 pages.

Regardless! Lets kick off #3!!!!

In the last month or so, I have mylared and stores in buckets 100lbs of white rice, 75lbs of white flour, and 25lbs of white sugar. And stored in a cool basement, on top of a flexi-seal coated heavy pallet, and covered with an old military blanket.
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 11:53:22 PM EDT
[#1]
If anyone wants to know how much mylar packed food fits in the 27 gallon black & yellow totes, I was able to fit about 690LB in six of them. They were surplus from my move last year and I finally found a use for them.

I don’t trust them to stack more than 2 high with this much weight, but they’re safely stored that way in my crawl space surrounded by mouse traps. Theoretically, the mylar stops all food smells but mice like to chew for sport and I don’t want them to get lucky and learn about food in the yummy black plastic things. —We don’t have a mouse “problem” per se, but we are rural and I do stack wood various distances from the house, therefore, I do have mice and packrats around. (That’s just a fact of life in the country.)

Still waiting on ~240LB of wheat and noodles from LDS in #10’s. Salt and pepper are stored in original packaging in small (10 gallon?) rubbermaid totes. Have about 40LB of that so far.

The breakdown of food in totes:

Hard White Wheat: 50LB
White Rice: 175LB
Pinto beans: 53LB
Black Beans: 53LB
Great Northern Beans: 25LB
AP Flour: 25LB
Rolled Oats: 130LB
Pancake Mix: 40LB
Granulated Sugar: 75LB
Dent Corn: 50LB
Dehydrated Hashbrowns: 12.6LB
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 8:13:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Been working on losing weight, down 8lbs so far.

Waiting for my next LDS order to come whenever it ships.

Bought 18lbs of 85% Ground Beef for $3.18/lb

Wish I bought more but I dont have the freezer room and the store was running out
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 10:25:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Last week I bought a Jackery 550 with a 100w panel from Lowes. Ordered an EBL battery charger and AA/AAA batteries for small stuff.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 11:03:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm building our second "vertical" garden today.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 1:01:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Hit a new low second digit in my weight for the first time in more than a decade, feels good!

Also vac pac almost 50 pounds of organic chicken breast at $2/pound locally. All frozen now
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 3:51:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Packaged 25 lbs of rice in mylar. Exercised for an hour (strength trying with cardio warm-up/cool down).
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 4:34:18 PM EDT
[#7]
To everyone exercising and losing weight - well done! It’s the simplest, yet most difficult, preparation. I struggle myself.

This may hurt some feelings, but I think he sums it up well.

http://mattthornton.org/fighting-and-not-or-fitness/

“If living longer were truly what they were after, they would proportion their energy and behavior to the risks. Almost all of us are far more likely to die of heart disease or a fatal car accident, than a knife wielding sociopath who confronts us in a dark alley.

The bottom line is this – if you don’t put physical fitness at the top of your list, self-preservation probably isn’t the thing that’s really motivating you.”

As for me, yesterday I did 1.5 hours of jiujistu drills and positional rolling followed by an hour of pistol fundamentals.

Worked to set up a Stop the Bleed class for a friend’s group of friends.

Today I certified my eight year old on the riding mower. That will initially cost me lots of time, but should pay off in a year or so…

Link Posted: 4/3/2022 7:17:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Finally got the optic on my Akv zeroed and did some pistol shooting with the Glock 30 and 1911. Planted some new veggies last week and continue to keep doing some gardening. Next week I hope to take the kayak out and do some scouting along some of the smaller creeks around my AO for alternate routes and some fishing spots.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 9:43:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Mylar bagged a bunch of stuff.  
Ordered seeds for my garden this year.
Tomorrow I will clean up the garden and put the covers on my beds to block any growth.  Normally I do it at the end of the year, but I was unable to last year.

Next week I go help my bud build hoop houses for chickens and turkeys.  We have a sort of co-op arrangement.  I help him financially and with labor. He grows chickens for me.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:55:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eagle_19er] [#10]
Bought (40) 4"x7' treated wood posts to fix the fence around my 1.3ac "yard". This project became necessary this week when my wife and I were talking about how we're going to ensure our new goats and chickens were safe with all the predators around us.

Our solution is to get two Great Pyrenees puppies, but the fences need to be up and solid before we put them out there unsupervised.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 8:01:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Eagle_19er:
Bought (40) 4"x7' treated wood posts to fix the fence around my 1.3ac "yard". This project became necessary this week when my wife and I were talking about how we're going to ensure our new goats and chickens were safe with all the predators around us.

Our solution is to get two Great Pyrenees puppies, but the fences need to be up and solid before we put them out there unsupervised.
View Quote

Goats are hard to keep in so make sure you use good fencing material.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 1:56:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Picked up two more mountain house meals today for the stash.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 5:15:58 AM EDT
[#13]
A local grocery store had ground beef on sale for $1.89/pound. I vacuum sealed 10#.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 4:46:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Packaged more rice and pasta.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:51:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Picked up another 15x1 lb pack of Kroger spaghetti for $0.99/lb. Surprising its still this low while all the rest of the pasta is over $2/lb now.

Expiration is 7/24. YMMV
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 8:46:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Bought a Dehydrator. Well our garden produced summer squash and zucchinis squash last year it was impossible to preserve it in any real way. This dehydrator will now give us better options for drying the vegetables. Thereby, giving us the ability to store some of these vegetables for longer-term
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 12:25:24 AM EDT
[#17]
I split two full cords of Hickory, with an axe, for my woodstove over the last week.  

Using an a Fiskars axe against Hickory is tough.  Hickory is not a fan of being split and will make you question your use of a woodstove.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 12:44:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Got a second order from LDS for Rice & Wheat

Link Posted: 4/12/2022 8:59:54 AM EDT
[#19]
worked on getting the potatoes ready to plant here shortly. doing a repeat of last years mix of 5 gallon buckets and 20 gallon bags. should yeild around 100 lbs total
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 10:15:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 7:44:23 PM EDT
[#21]
I haven't posted on this thread but have it tagged.  Since last spring we have built a chicken coop (8 hens), a 12X8 greenhouse, put in a fenced garden, and purchased a Harvest Right freeze drier.  Starting to build it deep.  I'm in town with only .2 acres...doing all we can to prepare.  Two pantries almost full.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 9:01:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Good read and true of the few classes I have taken.
Originally Posted By Vaquero:
To everyone exercising and losing weight - well done! It’s the simplest, yet most difficult, preparation. I struggle myself.

This may hurt some feelings, but I think he sums it up well.

http://mattthornton.org/fighting-and-not-or-fitness/

“If living longer were truly what they were after, they would proportion their energy and behavior to the risks. Almost all of us are far more likely to die of heart disease or a fatal car accident, than a knife wielding sociopath who confronts us in a dark alley.

The bottom line is this – if you don’t put physical fitness at the top of your list, self-preservation probably isn’t the thing that’s really motivating you.”

As for me, yesterday I did 1.5 hours of jiujistu drills and positional rolling followed by an hour of pistol fundamentals.

Worked to set up a Stop the Bleed class for a friend’s group of friends.

Today I certified my eight year old on the riding mower. That will initially cost me lots of time, but should pay off in a year or so…

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/12/2022 10:05:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Ordered a Midland ER 210 yesterday.
Bought Greenbelly on the go food pack last week and it came in dark chocolate and banana with other minerals and vitamins in it. Going to sell some weapons to increase my preparations. Looking for a compact wood burning stove soon. Saw some Toaks look good but looking at the square box stoves also.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 10:26:01 AM EDT
[#24]
ive been working on getting a neighbor and his family on the prepping train. we got started on some dedicated longer term food preps this week. covid woke him up and inflation has convinced him to start moving quicker. ~150,000 calories. not pictured 40lbs beans, 40lbs or rice, 5lbs of crisco and a large vegetable oil. easily month of food for 5 people with 3 small kids. next trip to costco will be bullion flavorings, salt, sugar, flour, more rice and beans and hopefully some canned fruits and veggies.

some of what we got at walmart, protein carbs and some snacks

helping others is critically important. less mouths to feed and more numbers on our side.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 6:41:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By ManyFacets:
ive been working on getting a neighbor and his family on the prepping train. we got started on some dedicated longer term food preps this week. covid woke him up and inflation has convinced him to start moving quicker. ~150,000 calories. not pictured 40lbs beans, 40lbs or rice, 5lbs of crisco and a large vegetable oil. easily month of food for 5 people with 3 small kids. next trip to costco will be bullion flavorings, salt, sugar, flour, more rice and beans and hopefully some canned fruits and veggies.

some of what we got at walmart, protein carbs and some snacks
https://i.postimg.cc/7L4HjXt5/protein-preps.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/hvY4wBNn/carb-preps.jpg

helping others is critically important. less mouths to feed and more numbers on our side.
View Quote
Good job man
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 8:34:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Updated all my portable radios programing, charged up all their batteries...  Then realized i had one mistake, so I am going to update them again tomorrow, so they are ready if they need to be deployed on the homestead.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 8:54:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Hydration bladder for ruck, folding shovel. Large battery for Baofeng and another mag for my AK74
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 9:04:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Local store has Boyardee cans for $0.50 but a limit of 2.

So after going through the self checkout 6 times I got a case of ravioli for $6
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 10:34:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By NTXPoke:
I haven't posted on this thread but have it tagged.  Since last spring we have built a chicken coop (8 hens), a 12X8 greenhouse, put in a fenced garden, and purchased a Harvest Right freeze drier.  Starting to build it deep.  I'm in town with only .2 acres...doing all we can to prepare.  Two pantries almost full.
View Quote

Great work!
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 3:58:12 PM EDT
[#30]
After putting it off for too long, I finally ordered mylar from Sorbent Systems.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 4:48:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tooly] [#31]
Put 15 Chicken drumsticks in a food saver bags. Going in the big freezer. I also did some sausages the same way.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 4:56:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Freeze dried 6 dozen eggs.

Freeze dried zucchini, carrots, string beans.

Link Posted: 5/3/2022 5:54:03 PM EDT
[#33]
I haven't posted any updates in here in a while, so I'm not exactly sure where I left off...

But I have been actively buying, packaging, and storing bulk grains; Rice, beans, cornmeal, sugar, etc. I started back during the plandemic, and since returning to "normalcy" I have slowed down (only because of a lack of time).

But today I am proud to say that I officially have enough calories in long term storage to sustain 3 people (specific people), with 1500 calories a day, for 361 days! This is in addition to canned, freeze dried, dehydrated food, and MRE's.

I've done numerous other things like take up reloading (although I see it more as a hobby then a necessity), improving outdoor gear like sleeping bags, water purification, and general outdoor skills, and with the return of the possibility of nuke war I have outfitted my basement with the necessary items to "ride it out" should all the planets align for us in the event of a strike.

Cheers guys!
Keep it up!
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 5:59:56 AM EDT
[#34]
More chicken and sausages in the freezer.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 11:03:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Canning meets using various techniques - all in the pressure canner.  Some with broth, some without.  Chicken thighs, breast meat, ground italian sausage, ground beef.  I've used the pressure cooker function in the past but wanted to get real work experience with canning.  Confirmed the tattler lids are very consistent.  I have done 50 jars so far without a failure (making me suspect a shoe will drop at some point).  Next step is to start eating it all.

One big take away is the time and energy consumption.  It could take me 3 hours to can, heat the canner, run it in the kill zone (75-90 min depending on size) and let it cool down naturally.  Add more if you desire to precook.  I always thought if my freezers died I would go on a canning rampage.  No way that would happen with the amount of time involved.  I could get three canners going and not preserve enough before it all spoiled.  It isn't that I have a ton of meat in the freezer but the volume you can get in jars isn't terribly high.  Also big note - energy consumption - in a grid down scenario I would go through a lot of propane pressure cooking and I'm not sure if I could keep the heat consistent enough to wood or charcoal to maintain the kill zone.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 1:20:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Avramel:
Canning meets using various techniques - all in the pressure canner.  Some with broth, some without.  Chicken thighs, breast meat, ground italian sausage, ground beef.  I've used the pressure cooker function in the past but wanted to get real work experience with canning.  Confirmed the tattler lids are very consistent.  I have done 50 jars so far without a failure (making me suspect a shoe will drop at some point).  Next step is to start eating it all.

One big take away is the time and energy consumption.  It could take me 3 hours to can, heat the canner, run it in the kill zone (75-90 min depending on size) and let it cool down naturally.  Add more if you desire to precook.  I always thought if my freezers died I would go on a canning rampage.  No way that would happen with the amount of time involved.  I could get three canners going and not preserve enough before it all spoiled.  It isn't that I have a ton of meat in the freezer but the volume you can get in jars isn't terribly high.  Also big note - energy consumption - in a grid down scenario I would go through a lot of propane pressure cooking and I'm not sure if I could keep the heat consistent enough to wood or charcoal to maintain the kill zone.
View Quote

@Avramel thanks for that write up. I am interested in pressure canning as well, and have started stocking jars, lids, etc. Everything but the canner itself. It strikes me as the kind of thing you do before stuff goes south, too. Getting a couple hundred pounds of shelf stable meat/fat is my goal.

My thought was to do stuff that's too expensive to buy already canned, like beef, chicken, and pork. We got 1/2 cow at $2 a pound and could put away a good pile of ground beef to mix in with the rice/beans that stores well.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 5:32:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MarkMustang] [#37]
More food preps, but much more importantly, preventative maintenance on my body.

I had some kidney stones in January. That sucked. A CT scan showed I was clear of stones, but it did flag something in my colon. I scheduled a visit with a doc and since I'm 49, got a colonoscopy scheduled . Had it on Wednesday and the doc removed 2 polyps. One was quite large and the doc said had I let the test go, it would have likely become cancerous. It went off to pathology but he felt it would be benign.

So today's lesson: don't put off the unpleasant routine maintenance on your body. Like exercise and PT, it can be the most important prep.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:32:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Vac sealed and froze 20 pounds of bacon at $4/pound
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:25:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Got all of my rice, beans, and pasta into 5 gallon food grade buckets with Gamma lids.  Organized the wire shelving in the garage to make room for the boxes of Mormon cans.  I have 2 275 gallon food grade water containers that need to be hosed out.  I may have to borrow a power washer from a neighbor.  The two containers had what looks like glycerin in them.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:00:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Garden re-tilled (weed control) and tied up tomato plants.

Got some blooms… bring ‘‘em on.

Tree guy coming tomorrow to drop a dead tree that’s too close to my house. It’s a good size, need a bucket truck.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:21:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Tomatoes doing very well:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Carrots and turnips taking off, same with my pickle cucumbers.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 12:16:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Had some friends over for a mylar party. I put 100lbs of rice and about 15lbs of beans in mylar and buckets.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 9:24:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Attachment Attached File

Got my LDS sorted and stored. Have 11 cans of Keystone Beef I will slowly start adding to. This is my Long term pantry, I have Mountain House in my regular pantry but I don't have room for it all in the shelf.

Also picked up two gallons of Crown White gas from Walmart with the price match for $7.62 I believe. Great buy
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 8:24:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By PA-Minuteman:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/425704/20220521_091555_jpg-2391518.JPG

Got my LDS sorted and stored. Have 11 cans of Keystone Beef I will slowly start adding to. This is my Long term pantry, I have Mountain House in my regular pantry but I don't have room for it all in the shelf.

Also picked up two gallons of Crown White gas from Walmart with the price match for $7.62 I believe. Great buy
View Quote
Weird observation on the white gas.
I have an MSR whisperlite from the 90s - it is  backpacking stove that only burns whitegas.  When recently at my parents house I took coleman can which was so old it had a price tag on it. Likely from the late 90s.  Burn fine.  Amazing the shelf life on the stuff.  Looks clear, no weird smells while burning.   It was stored in a basement for 30 years.  No rust inside the can.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 8:34:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Sam's had $2 off their big Folgers coffee cans when I was there today,  so I got 4 (the limit), so I'm good for another month or 2...

Link Posted: 5/22/2022 8:40:43 PM EDT
[#46]
This is a repost from GD but with less GD content

I got my large toe fused Wednesday - an elective procedure I've delayed for no good reason.  Mobility was dropping due to the pain and once healed in 6 weeks should be good to go.  The cartilage wore away over time.  I always worried if I needed to hump 20 miles with the family how I would hold up with my bad toe.  I built a new chicken house as covid was kicking it off and it forever felt jammed.  I'm 47 and waking up every morning was painful.

I strongly urge everyone to get any deferred medical issues taken care of ASAP - including dental work.  If you wear glasses, keep them current.

Link Posted: 5/25/2022 9:03:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Bought half a processed beef cow. From a local happy cow farm. Angus-Waygu cross. Now I need another freezer.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 11:01:30 PM EDT
[#48]
exploring what is necessary to re configure my AR pistol to make it ATF 4999 compliant if it becomes necessary
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 5:36:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By lasnyder:
exploring what is necessary to re configure my AR pistol to make it ATF 4999 compliant if it becomes necessary
View Quote

Nothing. Unjust arbitrary rules should be ignored.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 12:19:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chris_in_TX] [#50]
It has been a few months since I posted here.  

- We're still buying staples and other stuff at case lot sales.  

- Paid off my truck.  I see myself driving it for the next decade.  

- We finally got our tomatoes, beans and cucumbers planted last week.   We had a couple late freezes this year.   Planted 3 fruit trees (apple, cherry and asian pear) and a couple grape vines a couple months ago.  

- Ordered two water collection barrels and I'm going to be install some rain gutters on the back side of the house where there are none.  I'll daisy chain the barrels and have another 100 gallons of water for the garden, flushing toilets, etc.  I've got 3 already for over 150.

- Bought more ammo and a new CZ 457 Scout for my boy.  Sportsman's had a special edition with a cool laminated stock.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top