Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/5/2019 1:55:41 PM EDT
I recently saw some of these at a military installation and got to look them over a bit. They claim they can be run on LP, alcohol, gasoline, kerosene, & diesel fuel.

The interesting thing is they are a rebadged Yamaha (the 1kw 2kw, & 5kw) with some external fuel delivery mods. I couldn't find any other differences.

There is a fuel mixture adjustment knob that enriches or leans the fuel ratio and there is an external starting fluid delivery system added (presumably to aid starting on diesel & kerosene).

That is all I could see different. I was a bit surprised they can get a gasoline engine to run on diesel...

Unfortunately I didn't run them so I don't know what they run like on diesel.

I found these intriguing and of great potential from a preparedness aspect.

ETA, now with link: http://www.inipower.com/products/
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 1:40:32 AM EDT
[#1]
well, while a lot of folks on ARFCOM masturbate over their self-proclaimed tier 1 status...

INI Power Systems products are currently only available to the following customers:

Federal/State/Local law enforcement
United States DOD/Military and other government agencies
Contractors/Companies supporting the above listed agencies
International governmental agencies
Government Agencies via NSN through the DLA Supply System

ETA: You sure can run a gasoline engine on diesel, old tractors did it all the time. You had to warm them up on gasoline though. Not sure how these guys are doing it.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 8:03:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
well, while a lot of folks on ARFCOM masturbate over their self-proclaimed tier 1 status...

INI Power Systems products are currently only available to the following customers:

Federal/State/Local law enforcement
United States DOD/Military and other government agencies
Contractors/Companies supporting the above listed agencies
International governmental agencies
Government Agencies via NSN through the DLA Supply System

ETA: You sure can run a gasoline engine on diesel, old tractors did it all the time. You had to warm them up on gasoline though. Not sure how these guys are doing it.
View Quote
I understand you can't buy an INI but the mods they did seemed fairly simple... man I wish I would've checked it out more...
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 8:34:10 PM EDT
[#3]
@PArover got the little Harbor Freight genny to start on charcoal lighter fluid and to run on 73% rubbing alcohol.  

I'm liking that new little Ryobi/no name propane genny that runs on camping cylinders.  You could run that inside the house if you have enough CO detectors.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 8:41:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I understand you can't buy an INI but the mods they did seemed fairly simple... man I wish I would've checked it out more...
View Quote
Well, my great grandfather invented a "carburator" to run diesel in an automotive gasoline (and he got great fuel economy) engine back in the 50's or something. I'm sure it's easily accomplished now.

In case you're wondering, he sold the patent and it disappeared.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 11:18:59 PM EDT
[#5]
we had a cat 22 that started on gas and ran or kerosene.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 11:28:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I will have to do some reading on how that works. Anyone know what the compression ratios are or any other specifics? I just don't get how it could do both and would love to know.
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 8:11:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:  I will have to do some reading on how that works. Anyone know what the compression ratios are or any other specifics? I just don't get how it could do both and would love to know.
View Quote
Relatively low compression, variable supercharger.  Militaries have used multi-fuel engines in tanks for decades.
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 11:40:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well, my great grandfather invented a "carburator" to run diesel in an automotive gasoline (and he got great fuel economy) engine back in the 50's or something. I'm sure it's easily accomplished now.

View Quote
LOL
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 11:43:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
LOL
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL
I've seen the patent....
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 1:26:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've seen the patent....
View Quote
I was laughing at the "Great-Grandfather" in the 1950's...

Link Posted: 7/14/2019 9:25:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I was laughing at the "Great-Grandfather" in the 1950's...

View Quote
Ahh.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 4:33:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They are a rebadged Yamaha (the 1kw 2kw, & 5kw) with some external fuel delivery mods.
View Quote
And yet their brochures claim that they're "made in the USA".

The 500 watt model doesn't look like any commercial generator I've ever seen. Kind of interesting that it includes a can of Sea Foam...
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 8:51:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I have run 2 strokes, 4 strokes, and even a Shindaiwa Hybrid blower (4 cycle with mixed oil/gas) on diesel. Had to richen the hell out of it. If it was cold out I had to shoot some gas in the carb. Ran best with the cooling blocked off.

Link Posted: 7/16/2019 9:51:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
LOL

Patents don't 'disappear'.

Patents are filed with the US government Patent Office and become public domain generally in no more than 20 years.

You can search here https://www.uspto.gov/patents-application-process/search-patents and show us his patent.

Link Posted: 7/16/2019 10:05:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
LOL

Patents don't 'disappear'.

Patents are filed with the US government Patent Office and become public domain generally in no more than 20 years.

You can search here https://www.uspto.gov/patents-application-process/search-patents and show us his patent.

View Quote
No, the patent is still "here", but he sold the patent rights to I forget who, and they did zero with it. I didn't mean the patent itself vanished.

<-- has 1 patent to his name already

It's basically a funky carb to vaporize fuel oil/diesel.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 11:15:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:  I have run 2 strokes, 4 strokes, and even a Shindaiwa Hybrid blower (4 cycle with mixed oil/gas) on diesel. Had to richen the hell out of it. If it was cold out I had to shoot some gas in the carb. Ran best with the cooling blocked off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7y4D_BFBl8
View Quote
ARFCOM's most useful come the SHTF.  Knew you'd drop in.  

Have you taken a look @ the little portable propane gennies that run off camping cylinders?
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 12:39:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Years ago my uncle and my brother had John Deere model A and model B tractors. They had two tanks. A small tank for gasoline and a large tank for kerosene. You started on gas, warmed it up, then switched over to kerosene. When you shut it down, you switched back over to gasoline and ran the kerosene out of the carb, then shut it off.

We tried running them on kerosene just for the fun of it (kerosene is more expensive than gas now days so this was just out of curiosity). They ran far better on gasoline than kerosene so we didn't see the need to try again.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 5:32:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Relatively low compression, variable supercharger. Militaries have used multi-fuel engines in tanks for decades.
View Quote
I ran a shop for 10 years that worked on diesel fuel injection systems.  We got in an injection pump for one of those engines.
Whereas a normal injection pump would be a maximum of about 2' long, this one was almost 4' long because of all the extra gadgets and gizmos on it.
I ended up having to send it to a big shop in Houston who had done some of them before and knew the proper specs for all of it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 6:14:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm liking that new little Ryobi/no name propane genny that runs on camping cylinders.  You could run that inside the house if you have enough CO detectors.
View Quote
@backbencher

Thanks..arfcom hasn't cost me money in a solid 7 hours..ill be over here resetting the spend money timer..

Link Posted: 7/19/2019 6:46:38 PM EDT
[#20]
You're welcome.  W/ small propane bottles & small gennys, I hope we're coming soon to the man packable a/c you can take camping, to sporting events, etc.
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 2:42:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Well...

There are currently on the market various types of air conditioners that can be fitted to an existing helmets. The most recent addition to the range, the Feher ACH-1, went on sale this August only in the United States for $599.

As per the statements of its creator, Steve Feher, the helmet is “the world’s first self-contained air-conditioned motorcycle helmet available to the public.” Meaning its a full-face helmet with a built-in air conditioning system that can draw power from either the bike itself or from a battery pack. 

It comes in five different colors, all weighing 1,450 grams, in line with other motorcycle helmets, but it lacks any external venting holes. This is required to ensure proper circulation of the cooled air.

Feher claims the technology used in the helmet is the same one used by some car manufacturers for cooling the seats of their vehicles. The system combines thermoelectric technology with Feher’s patented Tubular Spacer Fabric to distribute filtered and cooled air across the top of the rider’s head. 

It can get pretty hot riding motorcycles in the basement, plus all that cheeto dust ..
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 3:27:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Well...
https://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/news/how-the-feher-ach-1-air-conditioning-motorcycle-helmet-works-128452_1.jpg
There are currently on the market various types of air conditioners that can be fitted to an existing helmets. The most recent addition to the range, the Feher ACH-1, went on sale this August only in the United States for $599.
https://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/news/gallery/how-the-feher-ach-1-air-conditioning-motorcycle-helmet-works_1.jpg
As per the statements of its creator, Steve Feher, the helmet is “the world’s first self-contained air-conditioned motorcycle helmet available to the public.” Meaning its a full-face helmet with a built-in air conditioning system that can draw power from either the bike itself or from a battery pack. 

It comes in five different colors, all weighing 1,450 grams, in line with other motorcycle helmets, but it lacks any external venting holes. This is required to ensure proper circulation of the cooled air.

Feher claims the technology used in the helmet is the same one used by some car manufacturers for cooling the seats of their vehicles. The system combines thermoelectric technology with Feher’s patented Tubular Spacer Fabric to distribute filtered and cooled air across the top of the rider’s head. 

https://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/news/gallery/how-the-feher-ach-1-air-conditioning-motorcycle-helmet-works_2.jpg
https://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/news/gallery/how-the-feher-ach-1-air-conditioning-motorcycle-helmet-works_3.jpg

It can get pretty hot riding motorcycles in the basement, plus all that cheeto dust ..
View Quote
That’s awesome if it works.
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 10:56:46 AM EDT
[#23]
That's awesome.  Next up give me an underjacket chiller and then it really can be ATGATT.  But I'm now married to FW_wife w/ 3 kids, who am I fooling.  No motorcycle for me.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 10:22:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Phhht

You got this, i have faith...

Link Posted: 7/20/2019 10:24:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Even works with that ac helmet...

Link Posted: 7/21/2019 12:00:11 AM EDT
[#26]
I knew the guys at INI Power when I was working in operational energy and expeditionary power (solar power, energy storage, microgrids, etc.) when it was a hot topic around 2010-2014. It seems to have tailed off a bit.

That multi-fuel generator costs thousands of dollars, not $900-$1K like a Honda or Yamaha quiet 2kW generator.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 4:55:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

And yet their brochures claim that they're "made in the USA".

The 500 watt model doesn't look like any commercial generator I've ever seen. Kind of interesting that it includes a can of Sea Foam...
View Quote
They sell a product that converts regular generator to multi-fuel.  Their product is made in the USA.  The generators are not.

Multi-fuel engines have been around for a long time.  If you want to simplify, well sorta, set up a wood gasification system.  You can run your generator from the gases heated wood (in a sealed chamber) put off.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 4:59:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
That's awesome.  Next up give me an underjacket chiller and then it really can be ATGATT.  But I'm now married to FW_wife w/ 3 kids, who am I fooling.  No motorcycle for me.  
View Quote
I have a wife and four kids and two motorcycles.  Just sayin'.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 9:07:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
No way! You too? Did it also get 200 mpg?
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 9:46:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

No way! You too? Did it also get 200 mpg?
View Quote
Not even close.

But diesel/fuel oil was apparently significant cheaper back then, so that was the motivation for the conversion I imagine.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 6:48:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I have a wife and four kids and two motorcycles.  Just sayin'.
View Quote
And that's fair enough.  FW_wife has already lost a husband and the boy, a father.  Not going to risk it in normal traffic.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 10:26:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 12:51:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Military has always loved multi fuel stuff.  Think the duece and a half had some kind of multi fuel capability but headed to work so not gonna look it up.

To some extent if you run your lawn mower on 2 year old gas that was poorly stored in a leaky plastic gas can all the easily evaporated stuff left the can long ago, notice I said leaky so I am thinking cap without seal or something.

And some lawnmowers are simple enough they run on this mess.

I can see the generator being able to run on all sorts of stuff.

Propane has a percentage loss compared to gasoline when generators are rated.

Once warmed up diesel and/or kerosene I can sorta see.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top