Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2019 2:52:12 AM EDT
I'm looking into stocking up on some more Freeze dried meals. I have a couple of cases of MREs and wanted to see what the hive's preferred company was for long term food storage

What says the hive?
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 3:27:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Mre Depot

Spendy but very long storage.  Most of their stuff is 30+ years.

And they are the only source I know of for long term water storage.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 3:44:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
looking for meals not individual components
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 3:54:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Mountain House.  Then maybe Alpineaire.  Wise is shit.  Made of TVP. Textured vegetable protein.  No meat in it at all.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 10:16:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Just purchased this, not sure how it is yet, but will try soon.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 11:15:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Curious, for the price. I'm assuming it's not really going to last 30 days though.
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 12:37:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Wife and I decided to get a freeze dryer it was a big expense but we store what we eat.
We got the Harvest Right med it was 2300 bucks. But its what we normally eat. Its slow going at first but its really building up now. No more throwing left overs in the trash.
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 4:39:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Mountain House generally tastes good, but is lower in calorie count per weight. Backpackers Pantry has generally a higher calorie count, but doesn't taste as good IMHO.

For SHTF we stock BP in go bags if we have to carry it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 12:42:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Mountain House generally tastes good, but is lower in calorie count per weight. Backpackers Pantry has generally a higher calorie count, but doesn't taste as good IMHO.

View Quote
I just checked and Mountain house is pretty low in calories

For those who have Mountain house, Do you plan on just eating MH or do you have something else that will give you the calories?
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 9:07:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Another vote for Mountain House here.
Go with #10 cans, 30 year shelf life.
I went through The Epicenter they happen to have a free shipping deal going on now.

You want extra calories, stock up on beans, rice and those cheap mac and cheese meals
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 1:30:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

For those who have Mountain house, Do you plan on just eating MH or do you have something else that will give you the calories?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We stock Mountain House, Backpackers Pantry, Auguson Farms, Emergency Essentials, MREs, and our own packaged bulk goods with Mylar and O2 absorbers. Emergency Essentials #10 cans of freeze dried meat for taste and bulk packaged rice and beans for calories is the best for cost, calorie and taste that we have found.

$50 will get you 13 envelopes of MH at Costco. $50 will also get you 50# of pinto beans, plus a 5 gal bucket, Mylar bag and o2 absorber. 50 # of beans will feed you a lot longer than 13 envelopes of MH.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 3:57:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

$50 will get you 13 envelopes of MH at Costco. $50 will also get you 50# of pinto beans, plus a 5 gal bucket, Mylar bag and o2 absorber. 50 # of beans will feed you a lot longer than 13 envelopes of MH.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That $50-dollar math makes sense only if you assume that the person won't tire quickly of eating only beans for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Hence the point of having some amount of variety in your storage, even if your money could've been stretched further buying only one or two types of of base staples  -  e.g., rice and beans.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 4:22:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I think I'm going to mix it up between MREs, Mountain House & other goods.

Also thanks for the Costco Tip, They have the 2.5 serving big bags on sale 12 for $60 shipped

Costco Mountain House Sale
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 4:28:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I think you're on the right path with your mix-up plan.  We have a bit of every thing to add to the bulk supplies.  If you have a very short term problem you don't want to open the #50 package of beans.  If you can't heat at all that's were the MREs come in.

You might think about some canned butter and bacon to add cal.  Spendy.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 4:30:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I think you're on the right path with your mix-up plan.  We have a bit of every thing to add to the bulk supplies.  If you have a very short term problem you don't want to open the #50 package of beans.  If you can't heat at all that's were the MREs come in.

You might think about some canned butter and bacon to add cal.  Spendy.
View Quote
Thanks for the tips
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 5:07:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I buy all of my long term storage food in #10 cans by individual item. If I need an "operational" use of them, I then use resealable mylar bags to combine ingredients to make a meal and reconstitute in the bag. It would be a healthier option as MH and others are full of unhealthy ingredients.
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 9:18:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Wife and I decided to get a freeze dryer it was a big expense but we store what we eat.
We got the Harvest Right med it was 2300 bucks. But its what we normally eat. Its slow going at first but its really building up now. No more throwing left overs in the trash.
View Quote
That was something I contemplated back when i was running 4 gardens and dropping 2-3 deer a season.
Currently growing out of containers and a half assed garden now, but I probably could have justified the expense a few years ago.
We're working our way back to self sufficiency, so this is still on my radar....
And the potential for rental/contract of said unit is there as well.

ETA:  Mountain House is what we have for back up.
Tried some of the others at a higher price, but the quality and consistency just wasn't there.
And honestly, the price differential just doesn't mean shit to me.  It's SURVIVAL food, if the kids are hungry they will eat.
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 11:21:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Oil.

Won't change the flavor, last for years and very calorie dense.

When I was in AK I would take a tube of oil and add some to the packets when they re-hydrated. Kept the weight down when packing on long hunts.

you can double the calories in the packs with a couple TBS of oil.
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 11:46:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Oil.

Won't change the flavor, last for years and very calorie dense.

When I was in AK I would take a tube of oil and add some to the packets when they re-hydrated. Kept the weight down when packing on long hunts.

you can double the calories in the packs with a couple TBS of oil.
View Quote
Thanks for the tip, will look into that
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 10:33:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Anyone here of any Amazon Prime Day Deals on Mountain House??
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 4:31:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Everyday prices for MH on Amazon are already pretty low.
There may be some items they want to close out, or move a lot of.
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 4:23:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
They were doing an additional 15% off if using an Amazon card a few months back. Not sure if that promotion is still going on.
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 6:44:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Subscribe to mountain house email subscription, they send me 15% - 30% coupons pretty often
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 10:28:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I think I'm going to mix it up between MREs, Mountain House & other goods.

Also thanks for the Costco Tip, They have the 2.5 serving big bags on sale 12 for $60 shipped

Costco Mountain House Sale
View Quote
Not sure on the price but just order one...thanks.This is the first time Im getting this.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 9:44:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

We stock Mountain House, Backpackers Pantry, Auguson Farms, Emergency Essentials, MREs, and our own packaged bulk goods with Mylar and O2 absorbers. Emergency Essentials #10 cans of freeze dried meat for taste and bulk packaged rice and beans for calories is the best for cost, calorie and taste that we have found.

View Quote
I agree with the pinto beans as part of the plan

I found some tha I stored since 2010, cooked a test sample and they were fine, not hard rocks..  Oh yesI live in New
Mexico
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top