Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2019 11:57:13 AM EDT
Since the brain runs on glucose, what is everyone's thought on keeping a few tubes of glucose in a BOB for use in the event your BOB food runs out ?

Thanks in advance for your input and comments.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 12:01:34 PM EDT
[#1]
OST
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 12:43:31 PM EDT
[#2]
My brain runs on ketones.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 10:13:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Ketones
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 11:19:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Few restaurant packs of honey will do
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 11:12:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Those tubes of glucose taste like crap and are a very short-term fix for hypoglycemic emergency.

Better to have energy bars that have more complex carbs.  Even if you're gluten-free, there's lots of options now.
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 12:37:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Going by your username I'd assume you've witnessed diabetics roused with oral glucose return to their previous state very quickly. Oral glucose would be a very, very temporary boost and, in my opinion, not worth the space and cost to carry unless diabetes is an issue.
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 4:39:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Few restaurant packs of honey will do
View Quote
Much better option since honey lasts almost indefinitely and has multiple uses.
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 6:25:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I carry honey packets in my first aid kit.  I also carry extra food.  So while it may be a temporary fix it at least gets the ball rolling.  Trying to get a person in a diabetic emergency to chow down on a protein bar isnt the best idea nor does it have the rapid response glucose or honey would have.
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 8:34:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Because you mentioned oral glucose, we're all assuming you're diabetic.

Is the glucose just for quick carbs while you starve in the apocalypse, or are you managing blood sugars regularly?

Energy bars would be better carbs during the apocalypse.
Consistent carb diet with positive sugar controls would be better for DM
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 8:39:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I carry honey packets in my first aid kit.  I also carry extra food.  So while it may be a temporary fix it at least gets the ball rolling.  Trying to get a person in a diabetic emergency to chow down on a protein bar isnt the best idea nor does it have the rapid response glucose or honey would have.
View Quote
I agree honey tastes way better than glucose.

If you are hypoglycemic and can't swallow an energy bar, you also can't eat oral glucose or honey. It's sad how many calls we run where family is causing an aspiration problem trying to jam honey or jelly in the mouth of their unresponsive loved one.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 5:06:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If you are hypoglycemic and can't swallow an energy bar, you also can't eat oral glucose or honey. It's sad how many calls we run where family is causing an aspiration problem trying to jam honey or jelly in the mouth of their unresponsive loved one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rectal glucose would work.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 9:11:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Skip the glucose and go to the baking aisle of your local grocery store and get the icing in the tubes.  As previously stated this provides a temporary boost for diabetics until you can get something more substantial with some carbs into them.  FYI only give it to a diabetic that is able to hold their own airway and are conscious.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 5:23:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Not giving any medical advice, but I was curious as to whether sublingual glucose could work on unconscious hypoglycemic patients (presumably in the recovery position to prevent aspiration) as a last resort in a wilderness / austere setting where higher levels of medical care will not be available in a sufficient time frame.    Results were promising.

https://costr.ilcor.org/assets/images/photos/should-sublingual-glucose-vs-oral-swallowed-glucose-be-used-for-treatment-of-hypoglycemia-FINAL-7-14-18.pdf

https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/116/5/e648
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 9:01:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Any oral glucose would work, but as stated above, it's the risk of aspiration that prevents most systems from using it.

If I recall, when I got my EMT in '96, oral glucose gel was placed along the cheek, like a hunk of tobacco, if they were a bit altered (confused but holding their airway).
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 2:12:07 AM EDT
[#15]
OP doesn't mention diabetics.

I've seen studies say that subjects given purely glucose (and no other food) were worse off than those eating nothing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top