BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/15/2019 8:02:21 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 8:33:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Congratulations on your retirement.  Hope you enjoy it for many, many years.  Thanks for the Medicare info, almost there myself.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 8:36:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Post your travelling adventures too. Stay healthy and safe travels.....
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 8:44:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm jealous,  I've got 4 more years.

Have a great time, you deserve it!
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 8:47:15 AM EDT
[#4]
While its outa some peoples control, being healthy plays a big ( if not the biggest ) role in retirement, some ppl keep working  solely for the medical benefits.

I planned and calculated and threw the lawn dart in the air, now i hope it dont hit me on the way down.

Hoping SS will be there, when im eligible,  even if reduced but planned to not count on it.

Lemme know if ya head north, a few of here. Lol
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 8:59:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 9:45:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

DT if I remember right you are younger than me (or at least looked it), I'm 46 this year. I'm not counting on SSI and all that crap to be around in 20 years. The boomers will be the last gen to utilize that ponzi scheme. We will have to pay in no doubts there, but won't likely see any or much.

Like you said "planned to not count on it" and that's the best plan.
View Quote
I am a couple years older and I KNOW that by the time I get to retirement age, there won't be retirement, at least not in the sense that we all understand it now.  The way I look at it, my contributions are going to fund my Mom's payments since I work for the same outfit as she did, and she is still drawing.  I fully expect to be the guy that dies at his desk, having never actually retired.  Hopefully I don't croak on my commute and take anyone with me.  The good news is since I don't have any dependents or heirs closer than cousins, I only have myself to worry about, and I already know how to live fairly cheap.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 10:20:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

DT if I remember right you are younger than me (or at least looked it), I'm 46 this year. I'm not counting on SSI and all that crap to be around in 20 years. The boomers will be the last gen to utilize that ponzi scheme. We will have to pay in no doubts there, but won't likely see any or much.

Like you said "planned to not count on it" and that's the best plan.
View Quote
Lol, few years older, checked out of the work force at 45. Made life changes after spending the 3 years prior to retirement goin to family funerals, one after another.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 10:51:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 10:57:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Congrats on retirement.  A guy I worked with passed away last September after working for the company 43 years. He was 62 and a multimillionaire (from the old profit sharing program we had and stock splits) working a mid level management job.  He was a good man.  I wish he had retired a few years back and spent more time with his grandkids
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 11:12:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Congrats TJ

Hitting 65 is mandatory retirement age for airline pilots and it scares the shit out of me. 4 years left. Sure I have a 401k  but no pension. I took it in the shorts when my company went through bankruptsy even lost all the matching 401k money because hey would not let it out of company stock and lost the pension and started over at an older age.  The medical aspect with my wife's health problems scares the shit out of me.

I have no choice to retire from this gig, I would like to do something else for a while after 65 as I am in good health but have no idea what.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 11:20:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Being retired has given me some of the best years of my life. Truly enjoyable!!!

That being said the Medicare coverage situation I found to be perplexing. A good friend told me that he used a "broker" to help him and I used the same lady to help me. Piece of cake!!!!!!!!!!!!!! About fifteen minutes and I was done. No worries at all.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 12:13:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Congratulations! Good post and once you get it all taken care of it'll be easy sailing. If you ever down Alabama way let me know
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 2:52:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Congratulations TJ!

I've yet to reach medicare age but have coverage from my employer.  I'm doing what I can to preserve my health.

BTW, just back on Wed from Friendship, IN (and Bowling Green, KY).  took a tool building workshop where I made:

hinge forming tool (make hinged patch boxes for longrifles)
tracer for pattern making
mandrels for forming thimbles/pipes and entry thimble/pipe
Silver wire inletting tools (x2)
mortise cutter and saw for loop
relief carving chisels (x3)
marking guage
die and mold for forming brass pistol grips from sheet brass
sanding block (18th century version)

As well as cast my own brass buttplate and triggerguard.

Retirement is great
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 3:29:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Check out http://www.thecrazymaninthepinkwig.com. Retired military guy that teaches people about how to invest and about retirement (Medicare, social security) face to face and even has some online classes. Very popular in my area.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 3:52:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 7:37:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Go join CAP for points no pay for for AF retirement if you aren’t far away.

I haven’t done it but I have talked to some guys in passing who have.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Congrats TJ

Hitting 65 is mandatory retirement age for airline pilots and it scares the shit out of me. 4 years left. Sure I have a 401k  but no pension. I took it in the shorts when my company went through bankruptsy even lost all the matching 401k money because hey would not let it out of company stock and lost the pension and started over at an older age.  The medical aspect with my wife's health problems scares the shit out of me.

I have no choice to retire from this gig, I would like to do something else for a while after 65 as I am in good health but have no idea what.
Go join CAP for points no pay for for AF retirement if you aren’t far away.

I haven’t done it but I have talked to some guys in passing who have.
I did that 20 years ago and left.

Too old now
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 6:29:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 8:10:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Retired in 2014.

The social side on retirement is the biggest change. I realize now that both of us had all of our social interaction tied up in our jobs. Now in retirement we are having to make a effort to be more social active, outside of family.

If you are still working, how many contacts and friends you have frequent contact with are involved with your job? And how many will still have contact with without the job?
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 8:40:01 AM EDT
[#19]
for you younger folks... get some advice from a fiduciary not a broker selling you a product, and don't forget future tax obligation... just remember that most likely when you retire will be making less than now... Uncle Sam still wants his share, so consider investments where you pay the tax up front when you can afford it, and not when you draw, like a ROTH IRA... don't forget that the year you turn 70 1/2 you will receive required minimum distributions from any investments that have not had the tax paid on them... my projected actuary death was 86, so 1/16 of any investments is distributed to my account as income and a 1099 reflects the amount... a tax free municipal bond may also be something you can investigate (just not from California)
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 9:53:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 10:48:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Ha!  Congrats!  I "retired" in 2017 (I was only 47), took a contractor job that was eliminated in March this year (I was going to resign in April, so good timing).  I'm planning on going back to work here in the next couple months after some delayed-retirement vacation trips my wife has planned for the summer.  Financially, I could sit at home comfortably, but it would limit our vacations and some larger projects I still want to complete.  The good news, I know I don't have to work  My wife has another 10 years or so before she can get a decent retirement, so I figured I might at well do something productive and pad the coffers...well, my son is still in college, so that takes a significant chunk of my disposable cash flow

Still, get out there and enjoy life brother!

ROCK6
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 1:23:06 PM EDT
[#22]
TJ----

You NEED TO PIN THIS TOPIC!

Link Posted: 6/16/2019 10:16:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Congrats TJ.

Enjoy retirement.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 11:04:54 PM EDT
[#24]
From the OP: "Now if you haven't gathered by now that unless you plan to go from productive member in society to bottom feeder, you can't retire unless you have money saved and non-taxable income suddenly becomes a big deal."

For the younger people on this forum, this is important.  "Retirement"  today, or retirement 20 years from now is nothing like it was 20 years ago, and society at large is behind the power curve on this one.  My father and all his brothers took a job with one employer in their 20s, then retired at 60 or so, and lived off the pensions.  But there ain't no pensions no more with very few exceptions.  At 60 you get some BS 401k and maybe some Social Security and that's it.  But by and large nobody is going to tell you that. The American people are sold on this BS that they can skip the Starbucks, brew some Folgers at home, toss that saved money into a 401k or a money market account, and then retire at 60 something.  Its a lie.

Sit down and do the math.  How old are you?  What is your life expectancy?  When do you plan to retire? What is the delta between retirement age and statistical age you are expected to pass away?  What are your expected annual expenses when you retire?  Its all basic math, but its basic math that nobody wants to do.  And for most Americans, the numbers don't work out.

Fact is for those younger than me (GenX-er) you better have some heavy investment stream or a small/side business providing you cash flow for retirement, otherwise, you are not going to retire.  Your 401k is NOT going to cover it.  You cannot "save" your way into retirement.  You have to make a plan and then make smart investments to get there.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 10:55:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Move to California, throw your ID in the trash and speak Spanish and you will get free health care so don't worry about the cost of that! Congrats on retirement. I hope it is as long and fulfilling as God can make it. 10yrs left till my check a month and I cant wait!
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 11:48:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Move to California, throw your ID in the trash and speak Spanish and you will get free health care so don't worry about the cost of that! Congrats on retirement. I hope it is as long and fulfilling as God can make it. 10yrs left till my check a month and I cant wait!
View Quote
Move to Nevada, cross the border for free health care amigo.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 12:39:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Congrats TJ

View Quote
Instructor gig?
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 1:12:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Congrats.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 1:47:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 3:13:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 11:09:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Damn....were getting old
Not counting on the fed to save us.
Trying to get set to be debt free before " retirement " . Always looking ahead.

TJ, you get down this way let us know.
Enjoy the adventures man....
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 1:05:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Congradulations TJ,

I have 7 years to go... NOt planning on working after that...
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 3:54:17 PM EDT
[#33]
7 1/2 to go, which will give me 27 years in LE.  Thankfully, I will have a decent pension (provided CA doesn't go tits-up, which is a distinct possibility....).  I wish I had gotten serious about putting more money into my deferred comp back when I first started my career.  I worked for about 11 years in the private sector before going into LE, so I will have a tiny bit of SS.  My wife will also have a small bit of SS.

Enjoy your retirement.  Stay active and find stuff to do.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 5:58:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Having been through the medicare sign-up with my wife and I have to do it around Sept this year.  Some thing everyone should be aware of.  In my situation, I negotiated a severance to leave my company of 38 years.  That check pushed me into the max medicare premium for my wife.  Medicare works on a graduated basis up to a max of $4xx/mo.  Under about $175K filing jointly is about $135mo.  You see how this can quickly kill a budget.

You have the ability to file an appeal if it is a one time income event.  The income could be the sale of property, odd one time income from stock sale, etc.  The Govt looks at a specific line on your income tax form.  ALSO tax exempt bond income is included in your income for medicare. If the appeal is approved you can specify what your average income will normally be. They will check and adjust as needed.

Next, depending on the value of your IRA(s) that RMD income could push you into higher medicare premiums.  When you add SS+RMD's+interest income+bond income your premiums could go up.

You need to sign up for the prescription drug plan or you will be penalized later by higher premiums.  Even if you don't take drugs sign up.  Wife cost about $10/mo and takes nothing.

Medicare supplements may be worth the dollars depending on your health.  You can sign up for one when you turn 65 and NOT have to answer any health questions.  She pays $119/mo and her total annual out of pocket is capped at $183 (medical only).  I think is it plan "G"?  So for just under $250/mo she has full coverage with only $183 out of pocket for all medical including surgery and Dr charges over normal medicare norms.

That is something we weren't aware of.  Medicare has specific reimbursements for specific procedures.  Some Dr don't accept this and will charge the difference to the patient.  Her supplement covers this extra charge.

We receive 4-5 postcards for medicare seminars every month in our area.  Look around your AO and see if there are some offered.  If not, look online, some charge minimal fees.

Medicare advantage is like many corporate insurance plans.  $X/mo and a $2K+ annual out of pocket.  I think it is sold as less cost than traditional medicare.  You need to do your own math.  BUT BE AWARE in the Houston ares some of the major hospital systems will NOT accept Medicare Advantage.  MD Anderson Cancer center is one that will not accept.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 6:52:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 7:25:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Check out http://www.thecrazymaninthepinkwig.com. Retired military guy that teaches people about how to invest and about retirement (Medicare, social security) face to face and even has some online classes. Very popular in my area.
View Quote
Tag. Just turned 64 and need more info.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 8:09:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Congratulations and thank you for putting some of this shit in layman's terms. I'll be leaving the workforce in about 18 mos at 65. I've saved, gotten completely out of debt, and have an IRA but it's not as much as "the experts" say I'll need. I'm kind of nervous about it all but certainly looking forward to it. Best of luck to you and Keep us posted
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 9:16:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Great thread.

I'll be retiring in Sep 2021.  Worked my entire life with the goal of having as much passive retirement income coming in as possible.

I am a twenty year military retiree and then will have an additional 17 years working for the federal government (FERS) when I retire for a second time in Sep 2021.

Conventional wisdom always said it didn't make sense for a military retiree to sell back their military time but I did.

I'll lose my military retirement but with the extra 20 years of service time it bought me (37 yrs total), the net gain I'll experience is about $650 a month.  The cost of buying back my time will be paid back after about 25 months.  After that it's pure net gain.

I'll have about $500K in my TSP by the time I retire.  I also have a permanent 10% VA disability that I won't lose.  Eventually, I'll apply for SS but not sure when.  I may do it as soon as I'm eligible or may wait until my full retirement age (66 yrs and 10 months).  The difference between the early and full retirement amount is about $900 a month so I'm tempted to hold off as long as I can.

I could easily delay SS if I tap into the TSP with a monthly payment of $1000-$1500 a month.  After I start collecting SS, I could then back off on the TSP if I chose.

My wife just started her SS about three months ago and is very happy with it.  She is a self-employed seasonal gardener and during the winter, her finances were very tight since there was no money coming in.  At least now she has a guaranteed monthly income and can plan and budget better.  The only downside is that she has to ensure she doesn't exceed the IRS annual income amounts for those who work and draw SS.

My only concern is my health.  At 60, things are starting to go south.  I have two years of work left involving a horrible commute and being away from home 4 days a week.  Not conducive to healthy life style when you are living in a rented room and eating out 4 days a week.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 9:43:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Great thread.

My only concern is my health.  At 60, things are starting to go south.  I have two years of work left involving a horrible commute and being away from home 4 days a week.  Not conducive to healthy life style when you are living in a rented room and eating out 4 days a week.
View Quote
Take the SS at 62 and don't look back.  Break even IIRC is age 79 ish.  Spend some, save some.  Do you have longevity in your family? Enjoy your retirement.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 10:18:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Congratulations!
I seriously doubt I'll make it to retirement. Life happens.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 11:42:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 5:17:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Congrats on your retirement!  Hope you enjoy it.
I'll be 50 in a few years but I don't think I'll live till the retirement days. I do have money in 401k but my biggest fear is that a communist POTUS will elected and he (or she) will decide to nationalize all 401k accounts for "the good of the many". Honestly, I've been tempted to withdraw all of my 401k money, pay the tax and penalty and invest the money into tangible goods. I DON'T trust any banks or any government promises or guarantees but I don't keep wads of cash or gold under the pillow either.
Sooner or later, the multi-trillion debt the government accumulated, must be paid off. How do you think they will pay it off? I doubt Trump can fix everything in 8 years of being a president although he has already done a lot of good things for the economy. You, I and the rest of the Americans will have to somehow pay off the national debt or declare a default. What do you guys think about this?
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 6:37:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Congrats on your retirement!  Hope you enjoy it.
I'll be 50 in a few years but I don't think I'll live till the retirement days. I do have money in 401k but my biggest fear is that a communist POTUS will elected and he (or she) will decide to nationalize all 401k accounts for "the good of the many". Honestly, I've been tempted to withdraw all of my 401k money, pay the tax and penalty and invest the money into tangible goods. I DON'T trust any banks or any government promises or guarantees but I don't keep wads of cash or gold under the pillow either.
Sooner or later, the multi-trillion debt the government accumulated, must be paid off. How do you think they will pay it off? I doubt Trump can fix everything in 8 years of being a president although he has already done a lot of good things for the economy. You, I and the rest of the Americans will have to somehow pay off the national debt or declare a default. What do you guys think about this?
View Quote
The debt will not be paid off. It never has been, it never will be.

They will just make more money and use inflation to devalue the debt, like they always have.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 8:00:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 12:53:31 AM EDT
[#45]
This thread is relative to my interests. No matter how much I think I know I find there is much more I don't.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 2:16:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Every one has there on plan, and you need to do your own math on this but if you are several years (you decide the timing) from retirement You should be looking at and planning on future tax burdens.  If you have a 401k match at work, by all means do not lose that match!  If you contribute more, talk to a planner or a CPA and see what your numbers look like through 80-90 years old.

The current tax rates will expire in 2025, assuming the Dems don't win in 2020.  The tax rate is the lowest it has been in years.  If I had to do it over, rather than putting the max in a 401k/IRA I would look at how to balance investing in tax paid accounts and 401K.  I had a financial planner run the taxes on proposed RMD's at 70 1/2.  It was an eye opening spread sheet.  And on top of that when you add your RMD, SS, dividend income, etc you may get kicked into higher and higher medicare cost.

I am looking at taking 401k/IRA funds now through 70 1/2 and paying the lower (if there is such a thing) tax rate now, on the assumption that taxes go up in 2025.  This has to be balanced with what you will have to pay for medicare.  I plan to roll this into a ROTH IRA and it will be tax free later (I hope).  I have been looking at retirement and planning for years and never even considered how RMD taxes would effect income.

You also have to balance when you take SS both with and without taking early IRA money.  Again, YOU have to do your own math on this.  Anywhere from 62 to full retirement age you get $XXXX/mo.  If you wait until 70 you earn 8% every year you postpone past full retirement age at about 66+/-.  It is hard to make 8% in a safe/conservative investment today.  8% assuming that SS is continued to be funded.  It also depends on if you need the money now or if you can hold off.

This is just my opinion and what I am working through now.  You milage may vary and as I said:  You need to do your own math on this!

All this also assumes that the "RULES" stat status quo.  This may be a bad assumption on my part.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 4:15:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Heh, glad you made it tj.

Up til a few years ago the state of tn had pensions for retirement still.  Now it is some weird 401k hybrid mess.  I expect issues out of pension just cause am at the tail end of it and expect problems.

A lot of the youngsters with the 401k hybrid can not explain it.  And at the same time, a lot with the pension can not explain it other than generic pension words.  Seeing some folks retire it is not a golden parachute.  More like a flare sized parachute in some cases.  It is based off consecutive 5 highest years of income and a lot of the folks retiring now had low income.  Tn has low cost of living but as TJ said, at a certain age you are being tossed in a pool where stuff if not so cheap.

401k if your employer offers just a $50 a month match then get that.  I have no issue with roth and whatever else is there for other options, use it to drop your taxable income if you can do so.  I had to play games to keep more of my money with how bad overtime has been at work.

Paid for toys can be good but you have to take care of your toys and insurance is probably needed in case your toys die or burn or get stolen.

There is no one answer to this sort of topic.  My aunts and uncles have been hitting this age and they have different concepts on how to do things.  One uncle is the local handyman, he helps with minor home repairs and odds and ends and does not do it as a job.  He likes to stay busy and enjoys a challenge and is happy as heck having projects to work on as he wants to work on something.

Another uncle is now a contractor for where he worked and works part time.  Mostly when they call.  He probably creams some of the limits on what he can make a month now and then, but it is easy money for him and lets him and his wife do the traveling they want to do without touching other baskets they have for retirement.

Another aunt and uncle worked longer than some others and now volunteer here and there.  They visit their friends, go walking, and travel a bit, and what not.  They built up their cash basket with those extra years.

I am 20-25 years out on it and all I can say is don't kill yourself at work today for a tomorrow you won't see.  At the same time, many folks who never thought they would live this long, lived even longer.  :D
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 3:37:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Congrats TJ!

Quoted:
Sit down and do the math.  How old are you?  What is your life expectancy?  When do you plan to retire? What is the delta between retirement age and statistical age you are expected to pass away?  What are your expected annual expenses when you retire?  Its all basic math, but its basic math that nobody wants to do.  And for most Americans, the numbers don't work out.
View Quote
Everybody wants to retire, but nobody wants to save their freakin' money.  It is just math, but it takes discipline.  Figure out your retirement expenses, get 25x that amount invested and working for you, and you're basically covered.  Keep invested after retirement so you're not just drawing down the principle.
1. Earn as much as you can
2. Reduce expenses as much as you can (a.k.a. Don't buy stupid shit or keep up with the Jonese)
3. Save all you can and invest it (must be invested to keep up with inflation..  Compound interest in amazing as time goes by.  Low fee index funds, no fancy shit or expensive advisors.  VTSAX = every sucker in the US is working for you!)
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 2:57:44 PM EDT
[#49]
TJ, I'm curious, is your house paid for in full?
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 1:53:59 AM EDT
[#50]
I am 10 years behind you, I never made more than 25k/year, I have no 401k or IRA.
I did learn to live cheap at a young age, (dad over seas, mom living in base housing or her moms).
////////////////////

cut to the chase, I retired the rat race 20 years ago after paying off my stump farm, I work for minimum wage part time, and am very happy doing it.
I make 12k/year now and have x.xx k in marketable timber + the land.
the main point is I'm happy, I've had opportunity to sate my inquiries.
I travel for work, it's nice to get away, I live primitively while on the road, But I am not comfortable with being too comfortable,
////////////////////

we all must choose a path, the only qualifier is you, did you choose wisely?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top