Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/13/2019 12:53:50 PM EDT
I have a 30' X 40' building where I keep most of my Prep Gear etc. Its also where I work on projects and eventually my vehicles. Probably November of last year, I discovered termite had invaded. I used to have a 10' X 25' room constructed inside, which they also attacked. This has since been torn down and will be burned at some point. Since the building is made of steel, I have no real concerns about them hanging around unless there is something I do not know about them as of yet.
I have put termite spikes around the building, and they seem to be helping as far as, I have replaced them and they did not pop up again. With all of this, I have had to move a lot of gear and tools around numerous times. Its been fun so far... I still have to paint the rear section and will be doing this next month. However. Here are some pics of this journey so far. I am also doing some reorganization in the process.

Started out buy digging a trench around the building, to prevent the little buggers from getting in while I tore down the room.

Did a lot of pressure washing.

Moved everything where I could to get things cleaned up, and prepped for repainting the floor.

Pressure wash the crap out of it again.

And Paint
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 1:24:50 PM EDT
[#1]
One thing with Rustoleum's Rock Solid Floor Paint, is if you paint where the sun will beat down on it every day, it will fade.. So I decided I would just avoid this and have a little fun with what would show on the outside of the roll up door.

I masked off the area to prevent overspray on new floor paint.

I used parking lot marker paint to do this, figuring it will hold up well enough...

Masked off more, and used yellow marker paint.

This was a problem I ran into when removing the masking tape, it pulled up the Rustoleum... Wasn't happy, but what could I do at this point.

I waited a day or so, and starting moving things around again.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 1:40:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Painting my storage building
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 1:49:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Once I finish painting the rear of the building, I will then move these shelves to the rear of the building to get them out of the noon and evening heat... I am finding out during recent inventory what the heat has done to some of my gear and equipment. So far, I have had to toss a Cabela's Big Horn III tent cause it destroyed the windows, my Kevlar helmet pads basically dry rotted. One of the helmets the paint separated from the Kevlar. I have had packs in the past, discolor pretty bad, which I was not surprised by...
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 3:12:00 PM EDT
[#4]
damn, I would do filthy things for a building like that at my house
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 6:36:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I think all you have to do is buy one...

No need to perform circus acts, or

Other things....
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 7:13:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Was an acid etch required to prep the floor with that paint product?
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 10:11:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Was an acid etch required to prep the floor with that paint product?
View Quote
Yes acid etch or etching tool which I used.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 5:52:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Your packs make my back hurt
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 10:52:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Your back has always hurt... Surprised your mouth don't as much as you whine about them.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 5:08:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I kind of used this as a practice bug out in a way. All be it i didn't really time it..
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/43224/Moving__3__JPG-943902.jpg

I still was able to move quite a bit, by myself with in a couple days time... Granted the distance wasn't far at all.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/43224/Moving__2__JPG-943901.jpg

Unloaded all that from these shelves, and this is when I decided I would re pack it in the building as I will eventually do when finished. This would allow me to do some inventory and re packing of gear. Better organization.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/43224/Moving__1__JPG-943900.jpg

The shelves in the rear of the pic have tools etc.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/43224/IMG_1688-943894.jpg

The boxes hold extra gear/ replacement clothing etc. As well as other things.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/43224/IMG_1714-943895.jpg
View Quote
I hate to be the guy but could you give us a rundown of what is on the shelves and why?  Is this used only for a bugout, it reminds me a lot of a ready room and I envy the organizational skills of this and would like to do something similar.  All of our stuff is currently scattered.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 5:50:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Another dumb question.  What size are the HDX totes your using and how would you rate them in being able to fit things into them?
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 7:24:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Another dumb question.  What size are the HDX totes your using and how would you rate them in being able to fit things into them?
View Quote
Many of the totes have clothing, head to toe... Warm weather, to cold weather. I will get to this at a later time. I think, off hand the smaller ones are 12 gallon... Which are most of what is on the lower shelves.  Ill go take a pic real quick of the labels....
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 9:13:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Still painting
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 9:17:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I hate to be the guy but could you give us a rundown of what is on the shelves and why?  Is this used only for a bugout, it reminds me a lot of a ready room and I envy the organizational skills of this and would like to do something similar.  All of our stuff is currently scattered.  Thanks in advance.
View Quote
Bug In, Bug Out... Yes, this is my ready room. Ill do best to give run down. I have given some info and will continue in two days when I am off again.

12 Gal Majority
17 Gal Couple used
27 Gal Few Used
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 9:40:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Bug In, Bug Out... Yes, this is my ready room. Ill do best to give run down. I have given some info and will continue in two days when I am off again.

12 Gal Majority
17 Gal Couple used
27 Gal Few Used
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

12 Gal Majority
17 Gal Couple used
27 Gal Few Used
Thank you very much and I look forward to your continued response.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 8:13:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Your back has always hurt... Surprised your mouth don't as much as you whine about them.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 9:18:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think all you have to do is buy one...

No need to perform circus acts, or

Other things....
View Quote
I live in the suburbs. That building is bigger than my whole yard.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 4:10:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Man I'd love to peek inside those bins and see what all you stock up on!
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 8:50:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yes acid etch or etching tool which I used.
View Quote
Are other areas of the paint susceptible to being lifted with duct tape?

We've always used an aggressive etch with muriatic acid before applying epoxy paint.

Prior to painting we've done a residual moisture test on the floor.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 9:51:29 AM EDT
[#20]
That's a lot of work just to show off all your Kifaru gear in coyote brown . . .

Anyways, nice job!
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 1:30:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's kind of what I am getting at LOL.  He seems to have his stuff together and I'd like to get there.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 9:20:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Impressive.

It'll stay a lot cleaner in there with that nicely sealed floor.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 10:41:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That's a lot of work just to show off all your Kifaru gear in coyote brown . . .

Anyways, nice job!
View Quote
Low blow......
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 10:37:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Anyways, nice job!
View Quote
Ha! Got ya... Its not kifaru...

Yeah I used to have some Kifaru, but has gone to way side a while ago... How are you toyota, I remember you were here way back.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 10:59:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Impressive.

It'll stay a lot cleaner in there with that nicely sealed floor.
View Quote
That's what I'm hoping for, but I'm sure eventually the dust will take over again.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 11:12:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Ha! Got ya... Its not kifaru...

Yeah I used to have some Kifaru, but has gone to way side a while ago... How are you toyota, I remember you were here way back.
View Quote
I'm good, man.  No complaints.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 11:13:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well, to take pics of all of the insides, would be more than I'm willing to do at this time. Simpler to say, most have something in them a few are empty... All be it not tons...

Currently, the boxes under the packs are replacement items for clothing that is in the packs. As I am prepping for, four people. Two of which are children/ pre-teens, I keep an eye out for items in different sizes (that they will grow into) and purchase them as I go... Now they are both getting to the age where some of the things I have will fit them... However they are still at the age, where it doesn't last long.
Then there is the wife, who has been going through a back and forth in size... The bdu's take up a lot of space even vacuum sealed. Its not easy to obtain everything, but I at least try to think ahead on what will basically be perishable (Needing replacement) as far as clothing. Uncle Sam's Retail Outlet used to be a good place to pic up things in quantity at a real good price... eBay is second to this. For BDU's I try to buy new... But that recently became a problem as they coyote bdu's are no longer made in the 50/50 NYCO.
Boxes on the other side are a mix of things, there are a couple of I don't know boxes. Items I want to keep, but not certain what Ill do with immediately.

I suppose I could do a video on youtube and link it here... Nothing in detail really...
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 11:25:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Are other areas of the paint susceptible to being lifted with duct tape?

We've always used an aggressive etch with muriatic acid before applying epoxy paint.

Prior to painting we've done a residual moisture test on the floor.
View Quote
Honestly, I have been scared to find out... Its seems OK for now, I did learn how to apply the coatings better having painted the one side first. I did not use the acid that was in the kit. I will be using it on the rear half, as well as putting the epoxy coat on top of the paint.
I had figured, having used the diamond discs to etch was enough.. Hopefully it was for the rest of whats been painted so far. I will use the diamond disc on the rear half, as well as the citric acid. I am concerned with damage to the center line... but will have to deal with that when it comes. I'm guessing as long as I do not scrub the paint I'm ok?
I also used a moisture stop prior to painting... I'm thinking the paint came up where it did cause it was to soon to attempt what I had done... It wasn't 24 hours at that point... Dunno.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 12:10:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Removed
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 3:14:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Honestly, I have been scared to find out... Its seems OK for now, I did learn how to apply the coatings better having painted the one side first. I did not use the acid that was in the kit. I will be using it on the rear half, as well as putting the epoxy coat on top of the paint.
I had figured, having used the diamond discs to etch was enough.. Hopefully it was for the rest of whats been painted so far. I will use the diamond disc on the rear half, as well as the citric acid. I am concerned with damage to the center line... but will have to deal with that when it comes. I'm guessing as long as I do not scrub the paint I'm ok?
I also used a moisture stop prior to painting... I'm thinking the paint came up where it did cause it was to soon to attempt what I had done... It wasn't 24 hours at that point... Dunno.
View Quote
Re acid etch.

I use muriatic acid and dilute it 3 water to one part acid and apply with garden sprayer, spread, and rinse after a few minutes.

Some times we use a floor scrubber with abrasive pad to help rinse and clean the slime that forms from the etch [recommended]. All this is done moments after etching in say 10' x 10' squares.

The etching that works well has a coarse appearance after rinsing.

We use a squeegee rubber blade to move stuff around on the floor, as in directing rinse water to be drained or collected.

The acid is neutralized by the concrete.

Muriatic may scare sissy folks but if handled with respect, is pretty benign after dilution. If I get it on my hands, just rinse it off in the sink immediately.

Might want to keep handy a cup of some baking soda solution in the event of eye contact.
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 6:09:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Re acid etch.

I use muriatic acid and dilute it 3 water to one part acid and apply with garden sprayer, spread, and rinse after a few minutes.

Some times we use a floor scrubber with abrasive pad to help rinse and clean the slime that forms from the etch [recommended]. All this is done moments after etching in say 10' x 10' squares.

The etching that works well has a coarse appearance after rinsing.

We use a squeegee rubber blade to move stuff around on the floor, as in directing rinse water to be drained or collected.

The acid is neutralized by the concrete.

Muriatic may scare sissy folks but if handled with respect, is pretty benign after dilution. If I get it on my hands, just rinse it off in the sink immediately.

Might want to keep handy a cup of some baking soda solution in the event of eye contact.
View Quote
Do you think any acid will effect the paint which is currently down....?
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 12:46:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Do you think any acid will effect the paint which is currently down....?
View Quote
If epoxy, that is pretty inert.

The issue it seems would be the acid entering the concrete epoxy adhesive boundary and seeping under, destroying the bond.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 7:18:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If epoxy, that is pretty inert.

The issue it seems would be the acid entering the concrete epoxy adhesive boundary and seeping under, destroying the bond.
View Quote
Ok, I Painted in quadrents.... I have relief cuts which section off the building. 4 rectangles.. Two of which are painted.

I filled the relief cuts with self leveling caulk... So the rear half will be painted on the other side of the relief cuts which are filled... Think that will help?
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 9:22:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Ok, I Painted in quadrents.... I have relief cuts which section off the building. 4 rectangles.. Two of which are painted.

I filled the relief cuts with self leveling caulk... So the rear half will be painted on the other side of the relief cuts which are filled... Think that will help?
View Quote
I hope so...
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 11:01:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Nice! Your thread has me wanting to re do my shed. If this dang rain ever stops this is my next project.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 9:44:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Nice! Your thread has me wanting to re do my shed. If this dang rain ever stops this is my next project.
View Quote
hope you post about it
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 7:57:30 PM EDT
[#37]
That looks great, nice storage bldg.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 5:42:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Ruh-Ro, I have off the 17th thru the 22nd.... Not looking good to paint. Fricken Rain...

I do have to ask, if I did half the floor in grey and the other half in Black how would you think that would look? Black would have epoxy coating on it??? Just curious on thoughts...
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 9:10:41 AM EDT
[#39]
I have seen two tone floors that look good, but usually someone is painting the border a darker color on a shop floor, it’s not just half and half.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 10:14:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 1:07:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
OST

Good to see RJ, protus and Toyota still giving each other shit.

#KifaruLife!
View Quote
Hey where have you been all these years?
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 1:10:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Hoping to paint Thursday morning... Going to go with the grey on both sides, as I cannot rely on ordering paint through amazon... If i get a burst bag, then I have to wait on a new one... Not doing that...

Purchased paint on Monday, checked the bags in the store appears fine.  Always check in the box make sure the pouches aren't busted already... I did have one from first time painting that ended up having pin hole in it that I didnt see until I went to use it...
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 9:49:46 AM EDT
[#43]
I have always bought epoxies in cans, what are these burst bags you are speaking of?
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 10:39:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I have always bought epoxies in cans, what are these burst bags you are speaking of?
View Quote
There is a video showing the bag that contains the mixture, where you roll one side of the bag making that side of the bag burst into the other chemical mixing the two.
https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/rocksolid/garage-floor-kits/polycuramine-garage-floor-coating-kit
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 6:36:21 PM EDT
[#45]
What are the bags on the top shelf and right below it?  The ones below are they the USMC FILBE?
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 7:02:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
What are the bags on the top shelf and right below it?  The ones below are they the USMC FILBE?
View Quote
I'm guessing you are referring to the shelves with the packs. On the very top are Force Protector Gear FOR65 rolling duffels on the top shelf. Then the FILBE Main Pack and FILBE Assault Pack. eBay, I did not pay full price.. Yes they are pricey bag Brand new...
I will say, be careful buying them off of eBay as many sellers try to hide defects. That's eBay I guess...
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 12:26:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm guessing you are referring to the shelves with the packs. On the very top are Force Protector Gear FOR65 rolling duffels on the top shelf. Then the FILBE Main Pack and FILBE Assault Pack. eBay, I did not pay full price.. Yes they are pricey bag Brand new...
I will say, be careful buying them off of eBay as many sellers try to hide defects. That's eBay I guess...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah I love the FILBE system where you can snap the assault pack to the top.  I have one system but want more.  Everyone is out now of anything new.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 2:29:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Finally I was able to paint... Ran into a problem in reference to painting though.. Ran out of paint!

The wife did give me the ok to go an purchase another box to finish this 5ft by 18 ft area...

All be it, I only used a quarter of that last bag... The result is I'm finally finished with this project and can now move on to getting it set up the way I want it again. I have to wait until later tonight to go in there, or maybe just wait until tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 2:08:48 PM EDT
[#49]
@RjSteed

I have some of my gear in a higher humidity / rainfall AO of the country. Not FL but not far.

The HomeDepot HDX 55 gallon tubs are $20/apiece and will hold those brown LBT load out bags you have on the top shelf with some room to spare. Flipping awesome organization and gear set up BTW!

I have used the LBT load out bags to hold a decked out plate carrier, War belt, helmet.

I also keep a 10.5” AR in a concealed case (Haley bag or the Vism is okay) and I keep loaded Pmags with ranger plates in separate Pelican 1150 cases.

The LBT goes into the HDX tub + add a PMag Pelican + add the AR case = much lower vis + stackable + one stop shop + decent protection from bugs/water damage. It does get a bit bulky and heavy with boomsticks and mags though.

I love the color coding you did for each family member, gonna steal that. :)
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 2:53:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
@RjSteed

I have some of my gear in a higher humidity / rainfall AO of the country. Not FL but not far.

The HomeDepot HDX 55 gallon tubs are $20/apiece and will hold those brown LBT load out bags you have on the top shelf with some room to spare. Flipping awesome organization and gear set up BTW!

I have used the LBT load out bags to hold a decked out plate carrier, War belt, helmet.

I also keep a 10.5" AR in a concealed case (Haley bag or the Vism is okay) and I keep loaded Pmags with ranger plates in separate Pelican 1150 cases.

The LBT goes into the HDX tub + add a PMag Pelican + add the AR case = much lower vis + stackable + one stop shop + decent protection from bugs/water damage. It does get a bit bulky and heavy with boomsticks and mags though.

I love the color coding you did for each family member, gonna steal that. :)
View Quote
I did not know that they made 55 gal boxes... I think the largest I have is 27 gal. My home depot does not carry larger that I have seen. The bags I use are from Force Protector Gear, not LBT. Very similar in appearance though.
Mine are used to store my:
Helmet
Elbow and Knee Padding
Chest Rig w/ mags
Molle Belt, Holster
One days: Shirt, Socks, Underwear
TDU's

I used to keep IBA in it, but store that in the home anymore since all the pieces to that are brand new and it is some what perishable. Not to mention they are probably more important to keep in home. I'm thinking I need to move the helmet indoors as well.

As for the color coding for individual gear, just seemed to make sense early on so I knew which bag I was opening up. Bad enough everyone in my home is rather disorganized and things get all mixed up. Think I am seeing why the military told you what to get out of your gear everyday. I use Velcro cable management ties now as opposed to tape. Less messy.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top