Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/8/2019 7:44:29 AM EDT
Can anyone here reccomend a great FARADAY bag that actually works! That actually blocks all cell communications and tracking?
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 8:04:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Says the serial killer about to launch a spree..../jk
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 8:09:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Really dude .....
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 8:59:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Says the serial killer about to launch a spree..../jk
View Quote
I don't know why that made me laugh.

Uline has several to choose from.

ETA:

Faraday Defense is also GTG.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 9:33:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Really dude .....
View Quote
I’d bet a majority of us jokingly thought the same thing.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 9:33:09 AM EDT
[#5]
The "off" button works pretty well for me.  No bag required.

Unless you're the tinfoil hat-type that believes your phone can still be tracked and is never truly off.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 9:46:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Unless you're the tinfoil hat-type that believes your phone can still be tracked and is never truly off.
View Quote
You're entitled to your own opinion.  Mine is that you are wrong.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 9:57:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Would a potato chip bag work, saw it on a movie once. I know Arfcommers got chip bags somewhere.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 9:59:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Would that not just be a heavy mylar bag?

You do pack emergency food in mylar, so you have extras around I assume
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 10:05:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You're entitled to your own opinion.  Mine is that you are wrong.
View Quote
Show me proof, utilizing actual equipment, that a turned off smart phone is still emitting a signal or EM radiation.

Otherwise, take your paranoid delusions elsewhere.

And to the OP - best to just leave your phone at home if you're going to do crime.  We had a string of three bank robberies in my area, and the thief was nailed via cell records.  Only one phone was pinging the three towers closest to the three banks at the time they were robbed.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 10:16:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Show me proof, utilizing actual equipment, that a turned off smart phone is still emitting a signal or EM radiation.

Otherwise, take your paranoid delusions elsewhere.

And to the OP - best to just leave your phone at home if you're going to do crime.  We had a string of three bank robberies in my area, and the thief was nailed via cell records.  Only one phone was pinging the three towers closest to the three banks at the time they were robbed.
View Quote
Is he trying to sell you something?  Why should he offer you proof?

If you even look, it’s out there.

This stuff won’t do well in the light so it’s not widely known.  Just because “find friends” app doesn’t work when it’s “off” isn’t proof the phone isn’t trackable.

This isn’t tin foil or whatever derogatory term you want to use.

Edit.  When the smoking gun is made public, it’ll be an Assange level.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 10:38:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Can anyone here reccomend a great FARADAY bag that actually works! That actually blocks all cell signals.
View Quote
@DOG556

100 copper Mesh

I took a 12"×12" section of 100 copper wire mesh and folded it in half and used 3M EMI Tin-plated copper foil shielding tape (PN 1183) to join the seams. That tape isnt cheap BTW,  and may not truly be necessary. We had a roll in the lab so I used it :)

Slipped my smart phone in the pouch with the screen on, folded the last flap shut twice over, and opened the signal strength settings menu.

Dropped to -120dBM and had a X in the signal icon within 15 seconds. (100 mesh is see-thru like a window screen, on much finer material)
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 10:48:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Is he trying to sell you something?  Why should he offer you proof?

If you even look, it’s out there.

This stuff won’t do well in the light so it’s not widely known.  Just because “find friends” app doesn’t work when it’s “off” isn’t proof the phone isn’t trackable.

This isn’t tin foil or whatever derogatory term you want to use.

Edit.  When the smoking gun is made public, it’ll be an Assange level.
View Quote
I want proof because that poster is making an ridiculous and illogical claim.  If I say the sky is blue (the generally accepted wisdom), and you say the sky is purple with pink polka dots (an off-the-wall assertion), I think it is incumbent on you to provide proof of your outlandish claim.  Ditto with claiming "off" means "on."

So now we delve into the dark world of conspiracies.  Can we agree that just about every adult has a smart phone?  And maybe, just maybe, some of those people might have access to RF/EM measuring equipment, and maybe, just maybe, they might just experiment on their phone, and maybe, just maybe, post a video of their "off" smartphone registering EM/RF on a meter?  Or is it just such an overarching conspiracy that any videos showing this are squelched before they see the light of day?

So which is more likely?:

1) no one has ever experimented on their phone, or that people have and the videos have been squelched, and any and all posts describing such behavior have also been squelched anywhere and everywhere
2) "off" means off
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 10:55:29 AM EDT
[#13]
I've done many phone pings at work (LE) both emergency related as well as search warrant authorized pings for locating a cell phone. You cannot ping a cell phone that is turned off. You can get last known location where it pinged off a tower if it's off but that's it.

I remember a homicide suspect we had a warrant to ping his phone. We were getting nothing so had it set to ping it every 15 mins. All of a sudden we got a hit on it. Found him a couple mins later walking down the street. I interviewed him and when talking about his phone, he told me his phone was shut off and charging while he slept. He woke up, got high on meth, then turned his phone on to check Facebook.  We got him about 20 mins later.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 11:36:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I want proof because that poster is making an ridiculous and illogical claim.  If I say the sky is blue (the generally accepted wisdom), and you say the sky is purple with pink polka dots (an off-the-wall assertion), I think it is incumbent on you to provide proof of your outlandish claim.  Ditto with claiming "off" means "on."

So now we delve into the dark world of conspiracies.  Can we agree that just about every adult has a smart phone?  And maybe, just maybe, some of those people might have access to RF/EM measuring equipment, and maybe, just maybe, they might just experiment on their phone, and maybe, just maybe, post a video of their "off" smartphone registering EM/RF on a meter?  Or is it just such an overarching conspiracy that any videos showing this are squelched before they see the light of day?

So which is more likely?:

1) no one has ever experimented on their phone, or that people have and the videos have been squelched, and any and all posts describing such behavior have also been squelched anywhere and everywhere
2) "off" means off
View Quote
Just spend a few minutes on the web rather than demanding it of others. This is old news and true.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 11:41:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Wouldn’t this work?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 11:42:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've done many phone pings at work (LE) both emergency related as well as search warrant authorized pings for locating a cell phone. You cannot ping a cell phone that is turned off. You can get last known location where it pinged off a tower if it's off but that's it.

I remember a homicide suspect we had a warrant to ping his phone. We were getting nothing so had it set to ping it every 15 mins. All of a sudden we got a hit on it. Found him a couple mins later walking down the street. I interviewed him and when talking about his phone, he told me his phone was shut off and charging while he slept. He woke up, got high on meth, then turned his phone on to check Facebook.  We got him about 20 mins later.
View Quote
But can Google

ETA: Wasn't the deal that the phone can still get its GPS location when "off" and then reports that to Google/apps when it turns back "on"? Because you only receive GPS signals, you don't transmit?
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 12:35:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Lots of GD being brought into this forum again. Not sure why people dont just answer the question. Leave all the negativity out of here.

To the question. Just google faraday cell phone cases.  You will see many that you can buy.

I’d also look into a wallet that stops rf so people can’t steal your credit card info.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 12:59:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I have several of these: Black Hole Bag.  I have had people who say they don't work put their iPhone inside and call their cell number using my office landline.  Never rings.
If you put your phone in it for any time you need to turn it off so the battery doesn't die from its attempts to do nefarious stuff and being unable.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 1:18:46 PM EDT
[#20]
i've gotten amber alert messages while my phone is off and with it set to airplane mode (which supposedly means no data in and out). So a faraday bag isn't a bad idea
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 2:27:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I’m
Just looking for anyone that has bought one, if it works what is the brand .
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 5:44:57 PM EDT
[#22]
This!  Simplest and cheapest solution for a small item.  Any Mylar bags work as well and I bet a coffee Mylar bag would work as long as you put aluminum tape on the plastic breathing plug.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 5:51:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This!  Simplest and cheapest solution for a small item.  Any Mylar bags work as well and I bet a coffee Mylar bag would work as long as you put aluminum tape on the plastic breathing plug.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
In addition this guy is a Ph.D. Physicist and an authority on EMP.  Great channel to subscribe to.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aMct99DiZak
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 7:09:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Phones can be pinged to life by remote.

This is a real thing, it has been used.

Does your local PD have the ability? Almost assuredly no.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 7:46:10 PM EDT
[#25]
If it has a battery in it - whether on or off - it is a zombie and can be awaken!! The other option is to remove the battery.  Some are easier than others.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 9:05:12 AM EDT
[#26]
FWIW, I have a friend whose wife is a naturalized US Citizen.  When she was going back to the Phillipines to visit relatives in 2014, he told her to turn off her cell phone to keep from racking up the charges.  She did so.

Apparently, her phone would "wake up" every so often to ping the cell tower.  He only found out that was going on when he got a high international roaming bill and called to figure out why the bill was high when she didn't make any calls.

If it was me, i'd pull the battery.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 9:49:58 AM EDT
[#27]
I track bad guys cell phones for work.

Phones that are turned off don't track.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 12:00:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
FWIW, I have a friend whose wife is a naturalized US Citizen.  When she was going back to the Phillipines to visit relatives in 2014, he told her to turn off her cell phone to keep from racking up the charges.  She did so.

Apparently, her phone would "wake up" every so often to ping the cell tower.  He only found out that was going on when he got a high international roaming bill and called to figure out why the bill was high and she didn't make any calls.

If it was me, i'd pull the battery.
View Quote
But on most new smart phones, it is technician grade work to pull the battery, not just pop the cover and slide it out.

OR

Maybe that is so you can't pull the battery to prevent the spyware from working

Link Posted: 5/9/2019 1:26:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Here you go

Ramsey
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 1:54:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've done many phone pings at work (LE) both emergency related as well as search warrant authorized pings for locating a cell phone. You cannot ping a cell phone that is turned off.
View Quote
The issue is, is it really off or in some kind of low-power sleep mode where it is still xmit/recv every few seconds or minutes or something else?

For example, airplane mode on an iPhone no longer means the phone is not transmitting. It can still xmit/recv on WiFi and Bluetooth.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 5:13:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The issue is, is it really off or in some kind of low-power sleep mode where it is still xmit/recv every few seconds or minutes or something else?

For example, airplane mode on an iPhone no longer means the phone is not transmitting. It can still xmit/recv on WiFi and Bluetooth.
View Quote
Get an RF detector and find out. A cell phone that is turned off can't be tracked.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 6:08:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Digital Forensics examiners use Faraday bags to contain cell phones all the time. Idea being once a phone is sized you want to isolate it from the network so it's not remotely wiped. Turning it off may result in several more issues though.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 6:32:53 PM EDT
[#33]
I know some older phones used to power on and update sms etc every 10 minets or so to stay up to date even when powered off by the user.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 10:48:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
In addition this guy is a Ph.D. Physicist and an authority on EMP.  Great channel to subscribe to.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Art's a nice guy and I used to work with him although I thought his PhD was in Electrical Engineering. The key with blocking RF signals is to (a) completely encapsulate the device and (b) make sure the Faraday cage is using materials that will block cell phone frequencies.

BTW, Art is one of the authors on NASA's how-to guide for RFI/EMI reduction for space electronics.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 10:56:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Get an RF detector and find out. A cell phone that is turned off can't be tracked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some folks I'm aware of did that and yes, it can be tracked even when "off". Remember that the on/off button on the cell phone is a logic switch, not a physical power cut-off like the old days. Further, there supposedly is software that can be pushed to the phone without your knowledge that sends your location to a pre-determined IP address on a specific intermittent schedule. I have not used that software myself but I understand it is available and rumor has it that it was developed by the Israelis.

I once had a .mil spook tell me that the only way to prevent your cell being tracked is to remove the battery. Even then, there are tricks you can play that may (or may not) be able to find you. Faraday bag makes it almost impossible either way.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 11:08:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Some folks I'm aware of did that and yes, it can be tracked even when "off". Remember that the on/off button on the cell phone is a logic switch, not a physical power cut-off like the old days. Further, there supposedly is software that can be pushed to the phone without your knowledge that sends your location to a pre-determined IP address on a specific intermittent schedule. I have not used that software myself but I understand it is available and rumor has it that it was developed by the Israelis.

I once had a .mil spook tell me that the only way to prevent your cell being tracked is to remove the battery. Even then, there are tricks you can play that may (or may not) be able to find you. Faraday bag makes it almost impossible either way.
View Quote
Snowden leaked details of malware installed on phones which faked it being shutoff, thus allowing you to be tracked when you thought it was off. In this mode, the malware was controllable by the installer, so they could vary how often it xmitted location data, so it could be very hard to detect.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 12:22:37 AM EDT
[#37]
I've owned older Samsung Android smart phones that clearly were not off when shut off.

I know because if I plugged in a power cord to charge a phone that was off, I'd get an icon of the battery charging and bubbles floating to the top of the screen, which takes running a program and processor power to do.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 1:35:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Spy type software installed surreptitiously and a factory original cell phone are not the same thing.

A unmolested cell phone that is turned off cannot be tracked.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 1:42:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Digital Forensics examiners use Faraday bags to contain cell phones all the time. Idea being once a phone is sized you want to isolate it from the network so it's not remotely wiped. Turning it off may result in several more issues though.
View Quote
The proper way to preserve a cell phone for forensic analysis is to turn it off and place inside a cell phone bag. When it is analyzed, it is placed inside an actual specially made faraday box that looks kind of like a cabinet sandblaster. When it is powered on, if the owner of the phone has sent a remote wiping command to it, the command will never be received and the phone can be dumped without a problem.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 3:58:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Silent Pocket
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 11:55:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Lol, ok
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 12:08:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Years ago I lost my cell phone while laying on the couch watching tv.  I had it in my hand, got involved in the tv show, and suddenly couldn't find my phone.  I got up and used my landline to call my cell, hoping to hear it ring, but it went straight to voicemail without even ringing once.

It turns out, as I laid there on the couch, my phone slipped off and landed inside a bag of chips on the floor.  A aluminized mylar bag of chips.  I learned that day how effective a simple bag can be.  You could watch the signal strength go from 4 bars no NO SIGNAL just by putting it in the bag.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 10:01:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you use an iPhone, the find my phone feature works even after the battery has died.

Take from that what you will.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 9:04:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I track bad guys cell phones for work.

Phones that are turned off don't track.
View Quote
Half joking, half serious, but if you track people via their cell phones for a living, I wouldn't really expect you to be upfront about the capabilities and shortcomings of current tech for tracking phones.

Link Posted: 5/30/2019 3:48:58 PM EDT
[#45]
http://mentalfloss.com/article/582214/how-to-disable-google-tracking

https://www.consumerreports.org/privacy/how-facebook-tracks-you-even-when-youre-not-on-facebook/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericmack/2016/11/02/edward-snowden-warned-about-connected-devices-linked-to-huge-internet-outage/#5f66a9702a20

Removing the battery is the only assured method of disabling any kind of signal or tracking.  Oddly enough, it is damn near impossible to remove a battery on most iPhones (and I would presume Samsung phones as well - I don't own one).
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 3:55:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 9:49:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 9:52:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Lots of GD being brought into this forum again. Not sure why people dont just answer the question. Leave all the negativity out of here.

To the question. Just google faraday cell phone cases.  You will see many that you can buy.

I’d also look into a wallet that stops rf so people can’t steal your credit card info.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 9:56:53 PM EDT
[#49]
ABC news drove around with a cell phone "off" and it was still tracked.

"Sources and methods" issues guarantee that the fact it can be tracked will be met with "tin foil conspiracy" allegations in any such thread.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 10:15:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top