Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/7/2019 3:29:31 PM EDT
I was just wanting to hear what you all think! I have two kids one male 13 and one female 16. I'd like to just pick you all brain and see what you all feel would be best!

Pistol caliber carbine or a rifle caliber carbine? Pistol looking at 9mm or 357 mag/38 spl if I go lever action. Rifle going to stick with old 223.

I'm interested to hear what you all have to say about this and what experience you have all had! I feel they both could do the rifle round just been a few years since I have had the chance to he them to the range and the only range near me is one of them have to know someone to get in the club ranges!
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 3:36:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I've done some thinking about this, as we're planning a trip to along the border. I have a 4 month old and 3.5 year old, and A wife that doesn't love to shoot. We are not going until the oldest is able to hold up a rifle and understand the safety of it. There will also be a refresher for the wife.

ARs are easy to operate. they have few controls, loading is easy, etc. So I would pick that platform. If I was making one for my son (and I will) it will be light weight and have a really solid comp on it. That will keep recoil low and make it easier to hold and move with. It will be the same caliber and the same mags as mine, so logistics are easy. I would get a dot or easy scope and spend a lot of time with it with a 22 conversion kit. That way they will know how it works, what to do, etc, it will just be louder and pack more punch in an emergency. Lever guns need to be topped off as used, like a shotgun, and reloading is tricky. Need to remember to cycle it, need to figure out how to carry rounds, etc. ARs are designed for minimal training. Put the mag in, pull this back once. Otherwise point at bad guys and pull till it clicks. repeat. I would want kids to be able to do volume, as well, if they are not great with accuracy.

Pistols are the same, so there is just one manual of arms, one pile of mags, one kind of ammo, etc. 9mm full size whatever you prefer. I would stay away from pistol caliber rifles as they tend to recoil more than a well dialed in rifle caliber rifle. And if SHTF for real I want all the ballistics I can get.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 3:53:30 PM EDT
[#2]
For SHTF?  All the same so ammo and mags are compatible with everyone in my group.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 4:25:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For SHTF?  All the same so ammo and mags are compatible with everyone in my group.
View Quote
This.
AR15 in 556 and glock 19s all around.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 4:31:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd second Steve's comments on an AR and .22lr adapter...I would suggest a dedicated .22lr upper to increase accuracy and decrease fouling in the receiver....  I shoot an AR9 for PCC competition, but for serious work, the 5.56 platform has been doing a pretty good job

G19, 19x or 17 would be my choice also, but with steel sights
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 4:34:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 4:39:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe Ruger PC Carbine 9mm using Glock mags?   AR Eventually.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 4:46:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I have more ARs than any other type and would grab one for zombies or red dawn type scenarios.

But a .357 carbine would be a good choice as well. Great hunting gun and would probably get more time in the woods or the range.

Unless I was fighting off hoards I'm perfectly comfortable with a light, handy, carbine.

I have a 16" m92 in .45 Colt and it is the handiest gun. Accurate for running deer out to a hundred yards or so. Hammers them hard too. 335s at 1800fps don't kick that hard either.

357s from carbines gain a lot of velocity and iirc I've seen 158gr bullets over 2kfps.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 5:14:03 PM EDT
[#8]
22 magnum bolt action rifle tube fed, or ruger single action revolver. Or 12 ga single shot with adapters Shotgun to pistol caliber adapters
low noise  (critical to survival)
low recoil
good for obtaining small game  
light weight ammunition so you can carry more ammo.
With kids if you start them on semi auto guns they want to hear it go bang rather than aiming and being precise in hitting the target. You need to find a farm field or some woods and get them behind a firearm or at least a pellet gun.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 5:30:04 PM EDT
[#9]
SHTF?  Everyone gets a 5.56 rifle.  Manageable recoil, more energy at 500 yards than a .45 at the muzzle, ubiquitous, easy to carry lots of mags/rounds.

In fact, my daughter's sweet 16 present was a Stag lefty AR, with a custom engraving on the magwell - "sweet 16" and her initials.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 7:42:41 PM EDT
[#10]
5.56 or 9 m.m. AR would be my choice.
Glock system 9 of course..
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 7:48:08 PM EDT
[#11]
If it's worth shooting,  it's worth shooting with a rifle round.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 7:57:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 8:07:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Have to agree with AR in 5.56 and G19. They are old enough to shoot them and in SHTF they will need to stand turns on watch. When I was a teen the family defense gun was a Winchester 94 in .30-30 and any of us over 12 yo could easily handle it. The AR15 is the new family SD firearm.

Put a red dot or low power scope on it and maybe a WML. Keep it as lightweight as possible though.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 8:10:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll +1 the ar in 556 and Glock for shtf.

Get .22 clones or kits for each, plenty of trigger time.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 8:15:07 PM EDT
[#15]

I'm sure a 5.56 AR would be fine.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 8:31:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I find the 5.56mm to recoil LESS than a 9mm or .357 carbine.

I'm with the 5.56mm AR15 and Glock 9mm crowd.(unless your primary handgun is a .357)
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 8:48:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.
Hard to argue the logic
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 8:48:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Kids used to hunt with real rifles all the time. Not pistol caliber, not intermediate rifle. Full caliber rifle. A .223/5.56 has negligible recoil. It’s fine.

And as pointed out a couple posts above, third world kids play with AKs and ARs all the time. Some FALs too I’m sure.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 3:50:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
just been a few years since I have had the chance to he them to the range and the only range near me is one of them have to know someone to get in the club ranges!
View Quote

Well, then what exactly would you expect them to do?

You don't become an effective shooter by having a gun.  You need training.
If they barely know how it works, they won't be very helpful, unless all you want is intimidating extras for your movie.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 4:34:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This.
View Quote
This!! - Exactly this!
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 11:48:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If they barely know how it works, they won't be very helpful, unless all you want is intimidating extras for your movie.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
just been a few years since I have had the chance to he them to the range and the only range near me is one of them have to know someone to get in the club ranges!

Don't you even volley fire?

Link Posted: 5/8/2019 1:12:14 PM EDT
[#22]
I would think your children would have no issue using a standard ar in 5.56 /223 with a varying length stock.  My 10 year old can.  At that age the issue is more in their mental decision making abilities and any resulting consequences, than in their physical abilities.

Edited to add, I have 8 children.  While the older ones all have their own personal firearms, 22lr, shotgun, deer rifle, etc.. they have also all been given an AR in 5.56.

My eldest daughter is getting married in a few months.  Her husband to be will be given an AR in 5.56.  She has had hers since she was 10.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 1:46:33 PM EDT
[#23]
my almost 8yr old has an 10.5" 5.56 pistol and I started him off on a 22lr savage rascal at age 5. The ar is on the verge of to heavy for him so his shooting time is typically limited to 20-40 rounds an outing before it becomes to much for him.

I like the idea of a 22mag tube fed auto mentioned earlier.

a 5.7 based lightweight auto would be an interesting animal as well. like a micro m1 carbine hmm......

but given what available a kel-tec cmr-30 sbr'd with a suppressor would be pretty hard to beat for a little tike in my opinion. (assuming reliable...I have no experience with them)
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 2:01:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks OP I just realized my new granddaughter doesn't have a Glock and AR in the safe yet.
She's only 4 months old so I have some time for the build but they will be in the safe soon.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 3:13:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
my almost 8yr old has an 10.5" 5.56 pistol and I started him off on a 22lr savage rascal at age 5. The ar is on the verge of too heavy for him so his shooting time is typically limited to 20-40 rounds an outing before it becomes too much for him.

I like the idea of a 22mag tube fed auto mentioned earlier.

a 5.7 based lightweight auto would be an interesting animal as well. like a micro m1 carbine hmm......

but given what available a kel-tec cmr-30 sbr'd with a suppressor would be pretty hard to beat for a little tike in my opinion. (assuming reliable...I have no experience with them)
View Quote
I can tell you how to make him/her stronger to hold the rifle it also is a good way to discipline the child!

Use to make my kids hold a bolt action single shot rifle out in front of them and hold it! They got both smart and strong!

I hear you about the 5.7 be nice if the ammo was cheaper along with the weapons to use it in! Don't want me to start my rant on 9mm vs 5.7! It do only to cost!
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 3:16:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I find the 5.56mm to recoil LESS than a 9mm or .357 carbine.

I'm with the 5.56mm AR15 and Glock 9mm crowd.(unless your primary handgun is a .357)
View Quote
My primary handgun is Sig P320 in 45acp or Springfield XD also in 45 acp. Not a big fan of the 9mm after using it in war!
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 4:28:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 4:41:22 PM EDT
[#28]
LOL. True though. My kid could handle a FAL  reasonably well at 14. Would not be my first choice though.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 8:00:00 PM EDT
[#29]
both my sons have pistols. 1911s. in 45. neither the 3 year old or the 4 month old can hold them, but that's why I bought em ;)
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 8:04:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.
My 12 year old son has been shooting an AR since he was 4 or 5.

He took his first deer at 5 with a 300 Blackout shooting supers and hunts with a 6.8 now.

AR's are great for kids because of the low recoil
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 10:49:58 PM EDT
[#31]
For training, a 22 LR upper.
For use, 5.56 mm.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 4:56:05 AM EDT
[#32]
As with most the logical answer is an AR in 5.56; however, much depends on the maturity, strength, and skill of your children...only you can answer that.

I went through the same process when my kids were younger.  My daughter didn't start shooting until 7 or 8, but my son was on the range at three and half with a single shot .22 rifle...and he was good.

I'll focus on my son since he started earlier.  From a single shot .22 to a Ruger 10/22.  His first centerfire rifle was my 30 Carbine, which he is what he learned to use for more "dynamic" drills.  That was his "go to rifle" from about 5 to 7.  At about 7-8, he started shooting ARs and hasn't looked back.

Given the evolution of "pistols" with arm braces, that would be a consideration for me.  I have a relatively inexpensive ATI AR15 9mm that uses Glock magazines, it's been 100% reliable, lightweight and compact.  A perfect PDW for a younger child who just isn't strong enough to actually carry an AR15 carbine for long distances (assuming worse-case is carrying them while on foot).  Add suppressors into the mix and I like the AR15 pistols even more in 5.56...they're just so much easier to handle, lighter, and more compact.  Kids at that age aren't going to be snipers, but you want something they can use effectively at "combat ranges" to defend themselves.

It's fine to debate and discuss the tools of choice; however, don't neglect the training aspects.  Marksmanship provides the fundamentals, but you should also consider basic tactics, movement drills, using cover, magazine changes, FTF/FTE drills, etc.  I won't lie, I joined my son's little "airsoft" buddies during their mock battles, had a blast, but more importantly we did a lot of tactics training.  It's never complete either.  The boy (now 20) and I are taking a class at the end of the month together; both of us are going to use AR "pistols" for this one

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 5:10:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I've done some thinking about this, as we're planning a trip to along the border. I have a 4 month old and 3.5 year old, and A wife that doesn't love to shoot. We are not going until the oldest is able to hold up a rifle and understand the safety of it. There will also be a refresher for the wife.

ARs are easy to operate. they have few controls, loading is easy, etc. So I would pick that platform. If I was making one for my son (and I will) it will be light weight and have a really solid comp on it.
View Quote
You should rethink this.  If there is anything my kids hate about shooting its the loudness and concussion on certain guns (like my comped SBR or the jackass shooting a Draco pistol next to us).  They all shoot and are proficient with firearms.  However they do not like anything loud with concussion.  None of them do.  I cant teach them to like it.

I would dump the comp idea and go with the best flash hider you can find.  The 5.56 doesn't recoil much anyways.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 5:28:58 PM EDT
[#34]
I would add that I do not care for tube fed 22's.  I believe it is more difficult to identify if the firearm is actually empty than with a magazine fed rifle.

I know children should be taught firearms safety, and rules to follow.  However, they are still children and lack experience and critical thinking skills.  They will forget, disobey, and make dumb choices that will leave you scratching your head.

While I have several tube fed firearms, they are not my choice to give to the child as their own 22.  They are only to be used or possessed by the children if there is supervised practice going on.

I am sure others have a differing opinion.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 9:48:39 PM EDT
[#35]
My take....

Recoil generally won't be the issue.  We're comparing 5.56 with pistol rounds.  Recoil might be an issue if we were talking .308 or .3006, but not with 5.56mm...

When it comes to performance, the 5.56 wins... in addition to greater performance at greater ranges, I suspect 5.56mm is lighter and easier to carry than say 158 grain 357 ammo or even 147 9mm.

The biggest issue (in my opinion) when it comes to small people and rifle selection is fit and weight....  Most stocks are simply too long.  Then end result leverage works against the shooter, and they rifle seems muzzle heavy to them.  They tend to lean back to compensate.  Weight simply magnifies rifle fit issues...  Unless you are ready to start cutting down stocks (which is going to be difficult to do with many pistol carbines, like the Ruger, because of synthetic stocks).  Most pistol caliber carbines are blow back operated, with heavy bolts, making these fairly heavy weapons (for their caliber).

The winner here is a lightweight AR15 with a 6 position stock.  These are generally a solid pound or two lighter than most pistol caliber carbines.  In addition, the collapsible stock means rifle fit takes about 15 seconds to figure out, with no real additional cost.  I'd opt for a pencil barrel, something super light on the upper.  Easy of mounting a small optic matters.  Don't stick a 22ounce optic on it.  Many of the current AR-specific optics are heavy.  A decent small red dot would keep weight down and simplify sighting.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 10:04:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep.  Easy peasy.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 7:56:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 6:19:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Attachment Attached File

Colt 6720 with Aimpoint.  lightweight and compact.  under 7lbs loaded.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 9:36:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/11318/colt_6720_jpg-955655.JPG

Colt 6720 with Aimpoint.  lightweight and compact.  under 7lbs loaded.
View Quote
This is a great example of what kids should use.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 10:22:34 PM EDT
[#40]
For SHTF I would outfit everyone in the group with AR's, for the younger ones have a 22lr conversion in it, they could always switch back to 5.56 if needed.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 5:45:43 AM EDT
[#41]
My kid is there to toss me,load mags, help her mom /load/medic and use the simplest weapons i own
Which untill becomes better and honestly wants to shoot more. Shes stuff with revolver and a single shot 22/410.

I dont expect her to fire and move with me.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 6:17:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You should rethink this.  If there is anything my kids hate about shooting its the loudness and concussion on certain guns (like my comped SBR or the jackass shooting a Draco pistol next to us).  They all shoot and are proficient with firearms.  However they do not like anything loud with concussion.  None of them do.  I cant teach them to like it.

I would dump the comp idea and go with the best flash hider you can find.  The 5.56 doesn't recoil much anyways.
View Quote
@Dace a can is a very solid comp and mitigates all the issues you mentioned.  ;)
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 6:58:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 7:40:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 7:48:42 AM EDT
[#45]
The answer is always a rifle round.  Kids grow up
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 12:20:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Depends on your SHTF scenario and the strength/size of the teen.

If static defense at your base location, almost any rifle the teen can handle easily, acquire targets quickly, and tolerate recoil will work.  .38/.357 or .44 lever guns, AR-15s, SKS, shotguns, FALs, M1 Garands, AKs, .30 M1 Carbine etc., will work.

If need to hunt short distances is added to the above, drop the AKs, FALs, Garands, and heavier rifles, and add .22LR rifles.

If you anticipate the teens humping all their gear over a few miles or longer distances, you need to go with the lighter rifles, such as the .30 M1 Carbine at 5.8 lbs loaded w/sling which beats the AR-15 loaded at a weight of 7.5 lbs.  A .38/.357 carbine would beat the .44mag carbine due to ammo weight since both rifles weigh near the same 6.5 lbs.  Of course as the teen's size approaches a young adult male's weight and strength, almost any rifle is good, including the M1A/M14 or M1 Garand at over 10 lbs loaded (millions of GIs did fine with them, but they grumbled anyway).
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 12:55:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
You haven't trained them and you want to get a PC or rifle???

You dont fix shtf problems with gadgets/stuff
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 1:57:32 PM EDT
[#48]
My youngest was shooting his FAL when he was 15.  I did get him an AR15 later (17??).

For what you describe as a use/need I would stick with a light carbine or even pistol with a brace in .223.

If you want a light, get one that is easy to take off and store in a buttoned up pocket/pouch when you don't need it.  No use adding weight to the carbine/pistol when you don't need the light.

For an AR15 pistol I'd put a red dot of some kind on it (I have a DP Pro on one and a PA advanced micro dot sight on the other.  The PA unit battery is supposed to last for years.  The DP Pro has been lasting a year for us (have one on a  CZ Compact also).

For the carbine a 1X4 illuminated dot (in the center of the cross hairs) scope.  Give it the capability of close up (1X), farther out (4X) or low light (turn the dot on).  And most of those use the same batteries as the DP Pro and the PA red dot sights.

I have a couple 9MM AR's but I can't imagine grabbing one of those for a serious problem when the .223 version is right next to them.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 2:08:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 3:00:12 PM EDT
[#50]
14.5 or 16” AR in 5.56mm.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top