Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2019 9:22:06 PM EDT
OK

I'm pretty well Keto and carnivore life style.

What can I put in my go bag aside from Jerky and spam that is "kiteweight"?

V
OUT
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 9:27:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Pemmican
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 9:30:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Biltong
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 10:00:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
OK

I'm pretty well Keto and carnivore life style.

What can I put in my go bag aside from Jerky and spam that is "kiteweight"?

V
OUT
View Quote
True jerky is so dry it is almost powdery. Almost no weight at all!
Teh bagged jerky you get in stores is wet because it's sold by the pound.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 10:06:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I have added keto bricks to my bag but I expect to melt this summer and be keto paste.

ETA 1000 calories weighs 5 oz.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 11:44:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Keto bricks paste---where available?

V
OUT
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 11:48:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Almonds
Cashews
Pistachio nuts roll with me at all times, besides jerky and H2O
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 12:15:58 AM EDT
[#7]
BACON JERKY!!! I like Obertos best but there are a couple others that are pretty good, too.

I also get some of those steak strips from Costco from time to time which are really good. I find most beef jerky to be too dry and leathery or they taste like spice and not like good smoked beef.

Spam singles are pretty good although I'm not sure that's really what I'd consider snack food. I like mine fried or grilled. Fat content is about right for Keto though at about 70% of calories.

Cans of tuna usually stay good for a long time and aren't that sensitive to storage conditions. Same could be said for cans of potted meats, Spam, Vienna sausages and others.

Dang, now I'm hungry.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 6:15:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Biltong
View Quote
Nailed it. Stuff can store damn near indefinitely and is easy to make. Deer makes great Biltong.
Pemmican is also a good option...not sure how Keto friendly it is though.
Just a thought - if it's SHTF and you are using your Go-Bag, do you really care that much about being keto?
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 8:04:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes being low/no carb is important. Carbs make me sick to the point of crapping all the time.

V
OUT
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 6:00:33 PM EDT
[#10]
pecans
peanut butter (the non-sweetened kind)
almonds

I'm keto/low carb as well, and this is what I have. Both provide protein, lots of fat, and just a couple carbs.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 6:15:49 PM EDT
[#11]
A lot of folks under estimate peanut butter.
It's cheap (even the Natural stuff), lasts a long time and packs a nutritional wallop. A little spendy, but I like the "go packs".
Anyone have experience with the powdered PB? Is it any good? Seems like it would tolerate temperature variations a bit better?
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A lot of folks under estimate peanut butter.
It's cheap (even the Natural stuff), lasts a long time and packs a nutritional wallop. A little spendy, but I like the "go packs".
Anyone have experience with the powdered PB? Is it any good? Seems like it would tolerate temperature variations a bit better?
View Quote
There is basically no fat with the powdered version, so its mainly flavor. My wife tried it, meh, but she counts calories and uses it for peanut butter flavor w/o the calories of regular peanut butter.

I just stock the natural (must mix) that is nothing but peanuts and some salt.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 6:23:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

V
OUT
View Quote
https://www.ketobrick.com/
I have a couple of hundred in rotation wife uses them to make cookies.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 6:25:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

There is basically no fat with the powdered version, so its mainly flavor. My wife tried it, meh, but she counts calories and uses it for peanut butter flavor w/o the calories of regular peanut butter.

I just stock the natural (must mix) that is nothing but peanuts and some salt.
View Quote
Ahhh ok. I'll give the powder a pass then. I stick to the natural stuff as well. Wish it came in larger size containers. I have about 5 of them in my desk drawer at work. People look at me all when I open my drawer.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 6:27:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

V
OUT
I just checked them out, ordered a week of the cinnamon bricks.

I think they may be nice for full meals on the go/GHB uses.

Thanks for the tip!
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 9:15:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 10:06:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thanks for the tip!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

V
OUT

Thanks for the tip!
My grandkids love the cinnamon ones. I melt him down and pour him into a silicon mold to make 100 calorie fat bombs. My grandkids steal them off the counter faster than I can make them.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 10:10:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

My grandkids love the cinnamon ones. I melt him down and pour him into a silicon mold to make 100 calorie fat bombs. My grandkids steal them off the counter faster than I can make them.
View Quote
Sounds like a grandpa that knows how to have fun! I'm patiently waiting on my youngest to hit the age where she can get in trouble with me. Took her first steps this week!
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 9:56:58 PM EDT
[#19]
To be honest, if it's a bug out situation, doesn't matter. You eat what ever food you want.
Can't wait myself so i can eat spaghetti again!!!
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 7:51:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Sounds like a grandpa that knows how to have fun! I'm patiently waiting on my youngest to hit the age where she can get in trouble with me. Took her first steps this week!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

GKs rock!
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 7:55:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
To be honest, if it's a bug out situation, doesn't matter. You eat what ever food you want.
View Quote
Doesn't sound like you plan on surviving long.
With out modern medicine being diabetic will suck.
I plan on facing the challenges at my best which means eating right.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 1:04:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Going back to eating shit (grains, artificial food) would put me out of action pretty quick. I'd become lethargic, bloated, and spend most of my day in the throne room.

May as well prep for maximum performance, during a SHTF scenario I want to be at my peak.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 1:10:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Got my Keto Bricks in yesterday.

Nice, fast shipping.

Got the cinnamon variety. The initial taste is good, the secondary taste (wait for it...) is.....not so good. To be fair, in his video he did say he developed them first for performance, then try to make them taste as good as possible.

Will try the cookies n cream next time. Hate coffee, so no mocha for me.

But as a survival food, that is a lot of good calories packed into not a lot of volume. EXCELLENT for GHB/BOB use IMHO. Two of them a day gives you 2000 calories, which is 600 more than I eat now, so perfect for being active. It would be easy to pack 3 days of food @2k calories/day. Will be buying more for that purpose.

Not the cheapest at about $7 each, but if you factor that per 100 calories, it isn't bad. Its the same price or cheaper than my Keto breakfast powder mix (calorie-for-calorie), and still only 3 grams net carbs per bar.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 6:55:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Tuna pouches is one idea. Not a lot of calories per pouch but they don’t take up much room.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 9:29:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Why lightweight?  Water and real sustenance weighs a lot, considering its job is to maintain a 200lb hunk of flesh.

Home canning meat and veggies is nice.  Low carb plus water.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 9:02:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Ordered some keto bricks. Thanks. Didn’t know they existed.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 8:35:48 AM EDT
[#27]
I got a freeze dryer I have been freeze drying my own keto meals. Today I made keto biscuits and gravy: https://jenniferbanz.com/low-carb-biscuits-gravy .

Also when I make a meal I pre-cook it so all I have to do is add hot water.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 8:44:29 AM EDT
[#28]
smoked salmon
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 10:56:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Going back to eating shit (grains, artificial food) would put me out of action pretty quick. I'd become lethargic, bloated, and spend most of my day in the throne room.

May as well prep for maximum performance, during a SHTF scenario I want to be at my peak.
View Quote
My guess is SHTF situation depending on the intensity, folks are going to be burning calories so fast that food of whatever nature will not make a difference (likes and dislikes):  have to pack the intake in and keep it coming.  Not to mention (depending again) that 'choice' will be limited - either have on hand what you like or take what you can get and be happy with it ........ reading a little of other past situations should clarify things in folks minds.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 9:02:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Big +1!

V
OUT
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 9:06:13 PM EDT
[#31]
My buddy's neighbor is on a 6+ year rotation of SPAM. It seems to hold up with everything including container structural integrity. His diet to physical activity has been not seen any difference with older 5+ year SPAM except a bland taste...

The Walmart Great Value brand has container seal degradation (top seal) issues...

V
OUT
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 12:51:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Ketobricks are new to me, looks interesting.  What is the shelf life on them, I can't find any info on that.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 4:49:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Yes being low/no carb is important. Carbs make me sick to the point of crapping all the time.

V
OUT
View Quote
Plus being in ketosis makes fasting MUCH more tolerable, a condition likely to exist in a SHTF.
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 7:27:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 8:37:20 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm going to try it making my own keto bricks as buying and bulk You can get cocoa butter down to $5 a pound. Cacao butter has a very long shelf life if sealed up. I've had some that was exposed to air for about a year and the flavor gets off but not horrible.
I'm thinking about using beef collagen for protein and not sure what for flavor although I've already made some that were basically giant chocolate bars and not bad.
I made some 5 years ago with cocoa butter and beef jerky and while they don't taste great they haven't gone bad.
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 12:47:32 PM EDT
[#36]
I freeze dry my keto stuff. So I have shelf stable steaks. If I was you I would just buy freeze dried keto stuff.
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 1:38:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Never thought of bacon bits, genius!  It will be the official food of the boogaloo!
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 7:43:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Summer sausage from wal mart, 1600 calories, 16 oz, $4
Peanut butter quest cookies, 280 calories, 3 oz, $4 for 2
I throw these in a pack for the summer, shelf stable, wont melt, no utensils needed.
Salami and pepperoni work too, but are greasy, so you have to clean your hands after eating.
Tuna or chicken cans with some mayo packets, need a P38 and fork, but still not too heavy as a supplement.
Empty plastic water bottle, with single serving of protein powder inside, then I crush the air out to save space, blow it up and add water when I'm ready to eat it.
Keto bricks are awesome, but a mess in the summer.
Those are my go to, cheap and easy. Not a lot of fiber or roughage, so less "clean up" on the way out.
After 5-7 days of these I do start to miss real food, and for some reason, broccoli.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 8:07:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Seems like those pre-cooked bacon pouches from Oscar Meyer or Hormel might make sense to keep on hand. I'm not certain on the shelf life, but the price is quite reasonable considering I can get uncooked bacon from Costco for $3/lb... Hormel claims one of the 10 oz packets is equivalent to 4 lbs of uncooked bacon... so that's $5.50/lb... assuming you're tossing that bacon fat (I eat ALL of my bacon). However, in a SHTF situation if I were stuck eating shitty MREs, being able to break out some bacon would be awesome.

Amazon Product
  • 72 pre-cooked bacon strips with resealable package
  • Bulk order of high quality premium cuts equal to 5 pounds of raw bacon
  • Slow smoked for complex sweet and savory flavor

Link Posted: 7/20/2019 6:51:16 PM EDT
[#41]
How about the old reliable Yoder's canned bacon.  Fully cooked, use the can as a cook stove or drinking utensil and the parchment paper is an excellent fire starter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top