Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2017 5:40:35 PM EDT
Really thinking of something to keep in the car to protect my head if caught in the wrong things.  I often work in different downtown areas, primarily the midwest and just thinking if things get froggy, extricating myself.  I deliberately, where possible, avoid any of the rabble-rousers, but stuff happens.  Looking for getting out and not engaging idiots.  

What about facemasks?

I know odds are low, but my preps are pretty much to now of "would be nice to have" as opposed to "need to have".
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:51:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you considered a ballistic shield rated for rifle rounds?

Better coverage than face masks, and you can bring it into places.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:10:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you considered a ballistic shield rated for rifle rounds?

Better coverage than face masks, and you can bring it into places.
View Quote
dual plates with ducktape

OP if you need a helmet, you kind of suck at awareness.

That means you allowed yourself to get into a situation where people are in direct contact with you, and if you did that you fucked up.

If you want it in case of suprise attack, then you wont have time to don it, ballistic vest and get your rifle slung from the BOB
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:14:46 PM EDT
[#3]
A shield is magnitudes more expensive, as well as a commitment to carrying.

The likelihood of use, proper employment or accessibility is slim.

If you want to have some cheap fun, put some aluminum plate in your seatback, back seat backs and headrests...maybe bond some inside your doors. Again, the likelihood is slim.

Maybe work on the equipment needed to shoot, move & communicate first.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:51:12 PM EDT
[#4]
A good ballistic helmet will always be a part of my gear. 

I can't help but shake my head at the people who see no reason to purchase a helmet as a prep. 4 of your 5 senses are exclusive to your head. You know what else is exclusive to your head? Your brain. Which is kind of a really important part of your body, in case you didn't know. 

With a helmet you can not only protect your head but can mount hands-free lighting on it, strobes and reflective markers to keep track of people in your group, ID tags, etc.

My pick is an ACH helmet. Can be had for ~$150 in new condition. Not the lightest or most streamlined design but I don't have $800+ to blow on an OpsCore or the like so an ACH is the next best thing in my opinion. If you don't think you need/want ballistic protection you could always get a good quality bike or Mil. style bump helmet. Lighter and cooler than a ballistic helmet and still protects your head from nasty bumps. 

Remember, Traumatic Brain Injury is a bitch. Protect your head.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 7:02:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I can't help but shake my head at the people who see no reason to purchase a helmet as a prep. 4 of your 5 senses are exclusive to your head. You know what else is exclusive to your head? Your brain. Which is kind of a really important part of your body, in case you didn't know. 

With a helmet you can not only protect your head but can mount hands-free lighting on it, strobes and reflective markers to keep track of people in your group, ID tags, etc.

My pick is an ACH helmet. Can be had for ~$150 in new condition. Not the lightest or most streamlined design but I don't have $800+ to blow on an OpsCore or the like so an ACH is the next best thing in my opinion. If you don't think you need/want ballistic protection you could always get a good quality bike or Mil. style bump helmet. Lighter and cooler than a ballistic helmet and still protects your head from nasty bumps. 

View Quote
I didn't know I could get a decent one for around $150, I'll be ordering!
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 7:10:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
There's actually some in the EE right now for that price in the Mil. spec Clothing and Gear section. Ebay is the next best place to look.

ETA: Make sure you've got the sizing figured out first. Proper fit is important. I know this from experience.  If you're "in between sizes" go with the next size up.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:18:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Will definitely check those out.  Not a situational awareness issue, sometimes stuff happens, hence being prepared.

People I work with have had issues in unfamiliar locales from anarchist groups.  Flash mobs.  Odds are low it would ever be needed, but I am at that point that this is a consideration.  Not looking for a fight, escape if needed, hard to do so if you take a rock, or bike lock to the head.  

I have level IV plate, probably never need it, but have it if needed.  Prepping and all that.  I often work in college towns so who knows.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:12:12 PM EDT
[#8]
You could get a ballistic helmet and spray paint it to look more like a motorcycle helmet.  It would probably pass by people who don't know motorcycles or combat.

That said, the best plan is obviously to LEAVE if things start to go sideways.  Antifa and Nazi flags are good indications that you don't want to be there!
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:22:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
 +1.  Much more likely to get a brick to the head rather than bullets flying.  

I have ACH, too. Plus http://approvedgasmasks.com/israeli-civilian-mask.htm for gas.

Helmets are good for NVG too
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:47:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Civil unrest...get a construction workers helmet in a subdued color. You would look like a working joe.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:49:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I say get an OPS-CORE and sray it yellow to blend in. Throw in a construction vest and voila!
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:56:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I say get an OPS-CORE and sray it yellow to blend in. Throw in a construction vest and voila!
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:33:06 PM EDT
[#13]
$125 for a large

I keep one next to my bed. I have a spare pasgt with an upgraded suspension that I should throw in my truck
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:55:51 PM EDT
[#14]
What pads do you want for an ACH ?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:17:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Typically people go with whatever they deem most comfortable, which is almost never the issue pads known by some as "shrink wrapped rocks".

Oregon Aero are combat proven and are very comfortable. 
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:43:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Call me crazy, but I still like the old M1. Worthless for ballistic protection, except for low velocity shell fragments. I doubt we'll see a lot of IDF state side, but it's about as utilitarian as a big steel bowl.  One can cook, dig, use as a sink, a stool, a seat, a bowl, a bludgeon, and pretty much anything else you can think of in a pinch. Now if only I can find someone selling a Multicam cover for one.

That said, the ACH is still the most economic choice today for head protection against small arms.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:12:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:46:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:03:50 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote
I own that very helm
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:06:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
 +1.  Much more likely to get a brick to the head rather than bullets flying.  

Helmets are good for NVG too
View Quote
I've kept an older OD green Protec bike helmet in my truck and get-home bag.  It's looks the part when mountain biking, and provides adequate protection from bumps and spills.  I do agree about having some form of head protection once rocks start flying or glass gets shattered; however, ballistic protection is more on the post-SHTF side rather than the initial out-break.  Not that I would advise it, but all the contractors here in Afghanistan only where their ballistic headgear when flying.  All operations are done with a ball cap and comm-headsets.

I will upgrade to something like the Ops-Core, just because I still prefer the lightweight bump style but I would like the option to add NV as well.  I've seen far more head injuries from getting into vehicles, bumps, thrown rocks, falling debris, falls, etc. than bullets.  I wouldn't criticize either choice, but having at least a bump/bike helmet or more protection from a ballistics helmet is just simply prudent advice.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 9:20:54 AM EDT
[#21]
It's not tacticool but concider a petzel helmet. Plenty of protection for your noodle and its gray man.

Link Posted: 8/26/2017 10:17:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Hard hat?

...and if you're a football fan, you can get one with your favorite team logo on it!

Link Posted: 8/26/2017 6:43:58 PM EDT
[#23]
We have talked about the grey man with his clipboard, a hard hat is a good thing to add to that.

If you have night vision then going that direction can make sense, but usually you can pick up a hard hat cheap.

I kept a couple from when I was a kid and went spelunking with my dad and an uncle who was into spelunking pretty seriously.

That hard hat showing some reasonable use might be better than the brand new shiny waxed version.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 9:37:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Riot helmet - you're not grey man.
PAGST helmet - definitely not grey man.
Motorcycle helmet without a motorcycle - ugh, well....

I think the lowest profile helmet is the bicycle helmet or hardhat.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 9:57:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
I know team wendy is not popular, but I recently got a set of their pads on closeout. Tried it out on a recent FTX. Holy shit, I wish I had bought them 10 years ago.

Team Wendy EPIC AIR Liner

It goes from hotspots on head after a couple hours, to forgetting you are wearing the damn thing. 

I picked up a CAM FIT™ H-Back Retention System as well on closeout, but it appears it was incomplete - I couldn't install it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 8:50:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I know team wendy is not popular, but I recently got a set of their pads on closeout. Tried it out on a recent FTX. Holy shit, I wish I had bought them 10 years ago.

It goes from hotspots on head after a couple hours, to forgetting you are wearing the damn thing. 

I picked up a CAM FIT™ H-Back Retention System as well on closeout, but it appears it was incomplete - I couldn't install it.
View Quote
Curious . Why do you say Team Wendy isn't popular ? I know nothing about them .
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 9:42:29 AM EDT
[#28]
there are bump hats on amazon that look like ball caps. 
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 11:51:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Supported Hillary during the last election.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 12:22:02 PM EDT
[#30]
You can run a search on youtube for team wendy + hillary and should have a video clip where she stopped and spoke there.

Team wendy stuff got seriously discounted and cleared out of a lot of places after that.

I appreciate the company and where it came from, but them supporting hillary makes me just say they have their freedom of speech and I have mine.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 12:45:48 PM EDT
[#31]
OP, I would follow the line of reasoning to shoot, move, and communicate first.  

Next I would focus on the gray man concept.  Once you have those squared away....

Then you can look at helmets.   Helmets mean "contact" with danger and if you need a helmet then you better have a lot of loaded mags.....
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 2:12:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
$125 for a large

I keep one next to my bed. I have a spare pasgt with an upgraded suspension that I should throw in my truck
View Quote
I've never heard of these guys.  Are they GTG?
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 2:32:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Not trying to hijack the thread, but any recommendations for a bump helmet or hard hat with a chin strap, maybe a cave or rescue helmet?
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 2:55:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You can run a search on youtube for team wendy + hillary and should have a video clip where she stopped and spoke there.

Team wendy stuff got seriously discounted and cleared out of a lot of places after that.

I appreciate the company and where it came from, but them supporting hillary makes me just say they have their freedom of speech and I have mine.
View Quote
And while I agree in principle, if I'm wearing my helmet for weeks at a time, gonna go with the best gear I can, and set politics aside. 

I do not agree with ANY business who wants to stay in business taking a political stand. They should have kept that shit to themselves.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 4:11:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Pro Tec skateboard helmets can be had for cheap.  You can also add rails and nvg mount as needed.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 7:58:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Not trying to hijack the thread, but any recommendations for a bump helmet or hard hat with a chin strap, maybe a cave or rescue helmet?
View Quote
PT-A Bravo made by Protech. Can be had in half or full shell cuts, can be drilled for attachment of accessory rails and NVG shrouds, compatible with ACH suspension systems (but the suspension that comes with it is ok), made in USA. Direct from Protech it's $60 for the base helmet, $75 if you select the options for rails on each side and velcro for patches.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 1:23:14 AM EDT
[#37]
For me a hard hat or bicycle helmet will do the job when required.  Most times I am a ball cap kinda guy and with some situational awareness I hope, and plan to avoid any riots.  I have some soft vests but if a situation requires more than that, to include a ballistic helmet then I will have bugged out prior.  I am not a solder and don't pretend to be one.   I don't have any combat experience and don't want any.  Can I shoot at paper?  Heck yea, just like all the other weekend warriors in battle rattle, but I don't fool myself into thinking I am ready for combat.  Escape evade avoid.  My family is priority number one.  I will defend when possible, but I won't challenge impossible odds.  Not worth it IMHO.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 9:09:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Bought an ACH some years back because it was on sale and I had money. WTH, right?

PSA leading from that purchase, pay attention to suspension as much as helmet. I now have a helmet that's loose. Not much, but I'm looking at possibly as much to properly fit it as I paid for the helmet in the first place.

Regarding having one at all. You aren't going to grey man wearing a helmet of just about any kind. Remember, the cops are taking helmets at the rallies (at least, they're taking them from the not-left) Helmets are for those times when the situation has overcome your ability to get away beforehand.

At that point, (assuming you aren't .mil or LEO) you need something that'll keep your dome intact until you do get away. A bump helmet will do for about anything short of volunteer militia use. If you're young enough, you can get away with a skateboard helmet at the risk of friendlies misidentifying you as ANTIFA or something. Old guys like me probably wouldn't get away with it, even if I bought a skateboard to lug around as a prop

You can probably save the hundred or so on the Team Wendy suspension system that'll allow you to wear the helmet forever. You're probably going to be wearing it for a couple of hours, tops, after which, you've either GTFO, or you're stuck and the bad has already happened.

Still, even for a couple of hours, you need that fucker to fit.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 6:35:04 AM EDT
[#39]
So, for the "non-grayman" look, I broke down and ordered a Skarr Armor MICH Kevlar.  The one the company issued me here in Afghanistan pissed me off so bad the other day I was tempted to toss it out the helo.  First, it's nasty and I haven't had a chance to clean it, second, it doesn't fit, and third, the suspension is something a monkey sewed together and doesn't work with any eye-pro I have.  Anybody have experience with Skarr Armor?  It was about half the price of the Ops variety, but the same level of compliance for protection.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 7:08:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ebay
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 6:23:35 AM EDT
[#41]
I have a MSA brand ACH.

But I think you mean like a bump helmet? So any good coverage bike or skateboard helmet? Can even paint it (rattle can) if you want.

That's all I'd do. Probably wouldn't paint. Some logos would help you blend among other crowd people in that environment. Or paint yours mat green and stencil 'GOOD GUY' on it. That will let the liberals know you're an enemy, but also let the cops know that you just want out of the violent shit.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 6:54:49 PM EDT
[#42]
People can make their call on the political stuff.  I came close to just ordering a bunch when everyone discounted the stuff cause cheap but good and in my possession beats expensive and good but not bought yet.

Surprised no one has the pic of the people wearing the pasta strainer things yet.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:20:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Saw this thread and wanted to add that I regularly see surplus ACH helmets at Stormseeker Surplus for $70-$80 that are in good to excellent condition. I've ordered other things from them several times and have always received items in the condition advertised or better.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:49:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 6:30:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top