Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2017 3:33:35 PM EDT
Battery went dead in my camper last night.  I have a small solar rig but it does no good at night.  Is there a hand crank or foot pedal generator that could be used to help recharge a 12 volt battery?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:47:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:10:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:33:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a Chinese Army one like this:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/yN8AAOSw9GhYarRZ/s-l500.jpg

Get one here: EBAY LINK

ETA: It folds up into a pretty compact package. And using it counts as a workout!
View Quote
Hand crank electricity and hand crank grain mills take WAY more effort than one would think.

Hooking up to a stationary bicycle is bare minimum for any appreciable output. imho
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:52:48 PM EDT
[#4]
With the seat, looks like you could put it up against a wall and pedal it.  What sort of voltage does it put out?  @ $300, that's 3x Harbor Freight 900W two stroke gennies, also from China.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 3:49:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have a Chinese Army one like this:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/yN8AAOSw9GhYarRZ/s-l500.jpg

Get one here: EBAY LINK

ETA: It folds up into a pretty compact package. And using it counts as a workout!
View Quote
That thing should be hooked up to a stationary bicycle.  Much easier to use the legs than the arms.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 4:14:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Connect jumper cables from vehicle battery, start engine and charge RV battery.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:03:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:  Connect jumper cables from vehicle battery, start engine and charge RV battery.
View Quote
I've done the reverse before - start generator, connect jumper cables, charge vehicle battery, start engine.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 9:50:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Battery went dead in my camper last night.  I have a small solar rig but it does no good at night.  Is there a hand crank or foot pedal generator that could be used to help recharge a 12 volt battery?

Thanks
View Quote

Are you talking a starter battery or a dedicated load battery in a camper?  The real problem with this is that when a battery runs really flat, it gets damaged and it's ability to hold a charge is significantly diminished.  Multiple run flats, and you are in serious trouble.  Either way, a low voltage cutoff/alarm will stop this and allow you to react.  Putting a second battery (to add capacity) and or a low cut.  If it's your starter, I'd definitely move the load to a dedicated load battery.  If you don't have a choice, but use your starter and can't insert a low voltage cutoff on the load, then carrying a jump starter box like one of the smaller lithium ones which also acts as a USB battery pack would work.

Just google wattage and world class athlete, unless you're Mr Bolt in his prime, you're not going to be able to effectively put any amount of charge onto a battery, especially if you need to go from a flat battery (assuming it will hold a reasonable charge) to where it can crank a motor (assuming that is your objective).  Putting one or two 100W solar panels up would be far more effective.

Sorry, don't know of any reasonable crank approach.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:14:14 AM EDT
[#9]
You're doing it wrong. Spent all summer away from home. A lot of it in a camper using solar.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:17:48 AM EDT
[#10]
In Paris under Nazi occupation, theaters would hire fit young men to power the movie projector by riding pairs of stationary bikes.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 1:30:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In Paris under Nazi occupation, theaters would hire fit young men to power the movie projector by riding pairs of stationary bikes.
View Quote
Of course, back then, solar panels were WAY more inefficient and expensive than nowadays...
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:44:58 AM EDT
[#12]
get a small harbor freight generator very good battery charger and mine will run 5-6 hours on a gallon of gas.  that and a 30 amp battery charger will do the trick for under 150 bucks.  it is on sale now for 88 bucks

800  watt harbor freight generator

there are a lot of threads on these , mine has been pretty reliable, change the spark plug to a good quality plug.  add a 30 amp automatic charger and you are set.  you will even be able to run some lights  charge the cell phone  charge some cordlesstools.  lots of uses for these little generators.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:46:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the feedback.  Its a house battery not a starting battery.  I will stick with solar and a small genny.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top