Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/16/2016 1:41:45 AM EDT
Idk if this has been covered or not. I am looking at relocating to Alaska, but I am curious as to what's a good carry? I currently have 45acp, 45lc, 44mag. Are there better options or is there a round for a gun that I own that is good for self defense against bears,moose and whatnot.
Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 2:00:01 AM EDT
[#1]
This is all over the internet.

Two general schools of thought for wilderness carry - bring a rifle, in a caliber that starts with 3, and your pistol should either be a 10mm or .44 mag, with hard cast bullets. Yes, you can carry less gun, plenty do, but these are the usual choices.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 2:05:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Bear spray
/thread
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 2:32:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bear spray
/thread
View Quote

and rape whistle?

Link Posted: 4/16/2016 2:43:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Of the pistols you have a 44 mag would be my choice.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 4:35:32 AM EDT
[#5]
For twenty-six years I've always either had a .357 as a hiking gun/ bear gun or a rifle during hunting season.

I've never had to shoot a bear with anything but my Red Ryder to get them out of the garbage.

Link Posted: 4/16/2016 4:56:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
For twenty-six years I've always either had a .357 as a hiking gun/ bear gun or a rifle during hunting season.

I've never had to shoot a bear with anything but my Red Ryder to get them out of the garbage.

View Quote

What gun and load are you using?
For hiking I'd go with a G31 in 357SIG. Sure isnt a 44mag, (or a rifle which would be the clear choice if really worried about bears) but along with a big can of bear spray it makes more sense to me given the odds of bear problems vs the odds of two legged scumbag type problems.
Massad Ayoob recently converted to 357SIG, couldnt agree more with him.
http://gunsmagazine.com/reconsidering-the-357-sig/
FerFAL
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 4:58:15 AM EDT
[#7]
double post
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 5:05:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
a 10mm.
View Quote

Not sure if you're serious

I grew up in the Alaska "bush" and saw more than a few problems between animals and people, 90% of the time most of the fault was on the person not the animal. I think there are two ways to look at it: 1) Your carrying a gun because you might have an issue with an an animal. 2) You're looking for a pissed off bear because he's already injuried or some other reason.

For the first I think most of the magnum pistol rounds shot from a revolver are fine. Most inportant is that you carry it and can manipulate it when you are cold,wet, stressed, and knee deep in water with a fish on.

For the second I wouldn't even consider a pistol round or a rifle round under 230 gr.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 5:30:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

For hiking I'd go with a G31 in 357SIG. Sure isnt a 44mag, (or a rifle which would be the clear choice if really worried about bears) but along with a big can of bear spray it makes more sense to me given the odds of bear problems vs the odds of two legged scumbag type problems.
FerFAL
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

I use one of my Security Six's. I'm not sure what the load is and consider that it so far down the line of importance compared to shot placement.  One of the reasons I picked a .357mag is that my chance of getting a second or third round into the target increased with the lesser recoil.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 7:01:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I grew up in the Alaska "bush" and saw more than a few problems between animals and people, 90% of the time most of the fault was on the person not the animal. I think there are two ways to look at it: 1) Your carrying a gun because you might have an issue with an an animal. 2) You're looking for a pissed off bear because he's already injuried or some other reason.

For the first I think most of the magnum pistol rounds shot from a revolver are fine. Most inportant is that you carry it and can manipulate it when you are cold,wet, stressed, and knee deep in water with a fish on.

For the second I wouldn't even consider a pistol round or a rifle round under 230 gr.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
a 10mm.

45 has awful penetration compared with a 200gr 10mm.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 7:18:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
a 10mm.

45 ACP? You're right, see the revolver part of my comment. Think .357 mag or .44 mag out of 4" minimum barrel, with quality heavy roundish nose ammo.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 9:00:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Read up on load choices for 44 mag and shotgun slugs.  

And read up on ways people keep the 44 mag on em all the time.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 9:20:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Have you ever since the stories about the crime in alaska/anchorage from mexican gangs? Apparently families wanting to move their kids far from gangs thought going to alaska was as far as they could get.  But so many of them did it that all they did was move the gang there.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 11:34:03 AM EDT
[#14]
if your 45LC is a blackhawk, redhawk, or freedom arms and packable that would be my choice with heavy loads. if your 44 is more packable then it would be a great choice as well.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 12:51:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Lived in the Northern Rockies for 25 years.  My choice of woods pistol = Glock 20 that is lightweight and holds 15 rounds of 200gr 10mm solids.  There are no other pistols/revolvers as effective in that weight class.  A Glock 21 in 45acp would be my second choice.

What a game warden suggested I use to scare off garbage bears at my house was a 12ga with lead shot removed and replaced with melted candle wax.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 1:01:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

and rape whistle?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bear spray
/thread

and rape whistle?

Bear spray has been shown to be slightly more effective than firearms.  The smart move would be to carry both and understand when and how to use either one.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 1:04:19 PM EDT
[#17]
If you bear protection carry a long gun.  45-70 or 12 ga with slugs.  Pack a pistol for two legged critters.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 1:31:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

and rape whistle?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Bear spray

/thread

and rape whistle?

Alaskan guides agree that bear spray should be the first line of defense.

Link Posted: 4/16/2016 1:38:26 PM EDT
[#19]
"moose"  More people are hurt by moose than the bears.  We don't dream about the moose but darn they're big.

When in wild AK I've carried: .357, .41, .45LC, .44, and .500.  The Wife just bought me a .480 to round out the choices.  I carry what I'm in the mood for.  Most of the time the reason has nothing to do with the bears and all to do with memories.  I've never had a problem with a bear, but have been very close to moose.  I tend to make a lot of noise when I'm moving around (packing a kayak...cussing when I do a face plant); the animals know I'm there.

My load in the .357s is a 180 hard cast.

Edit: I carried bear spray at work because we couldn't carry guns.  I don't carry bear spray in the wild.  I think those "studies" are a bit slanted.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 1:39:00 PM EDT
[#20]
My first choice would be an 18" bbl 12 gauge with 00 buck and slugs. Of course my opinion means little as I have never lived there, I have visited though. But from my personal experience, the 12 gauge is an awesome weapon and buckshot and slugs are completely devastating within 50 yards which is close enough to me for any predator to get.
If I had to choose a handgun for protection I'd choose a Glock 40 with a barrel I could shoot some heavy hardcast bullets from, with 15 rounds on tap, it should be good medicine for defense against any angry critter.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 1:49:21 PM EDT
[#21]
The 44 mag will probably work fine. Of course if I was going to Alaska and getting a new handgun, then it would be a 454 Casull. That caliber was designed with killing bears in mind. Of course I'd probably carry a good hunting rifle also.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 4:43:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I never lived or been to AK, so I cannot tell you, but seems like plenty of folks like 10mm in AK.  At least that's what I'm seeing on the 10mm forum.  Hard to pass up 16rds of 200gr hard cast 10mm ammo.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 5:20:31 PM EDT
[#23]
I believe the for Alaskan bear defence the caliber should start in "4" and end in "magnum".
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 5:32:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bear spray
/thread

and rape whistle?

Strange, I was a guide for 5 years and never once carried or recommended it to anyone.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 6:14:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I carry a Glock 20.  I can't shoot a 44 Magnum well enough for me to be comfortable with it in a stressful situation.  I can keep the Glock on my chest or in my waist band with relative ease.  Of course I'll have a shotgun or rifle with me as well, but I've found the long arms tend to get left on the four wheeler, in the camper, or not in my hands when juggling heavy loads.  The pistol Is always with me regardless of the task at hand. Carry the biggest one you can comfortably carry and shoot accurately under stress.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 9:17:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for all the input guys.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 9:41:31 PM EDT
[#27]

Removed.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 10:34:29 PM EDT
[#28]

Removed.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 10:40:55 PM EDT
[#29]
G20. Sure it feels like a brick and carries heavy, but there is some peace of mind with having 15+1 rounds of mini nukes on tap.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 11:50:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

45 ACP? You're right, see the revolver part of my comment. Think .357 mag or .44 mag out of 4" minimum barrel, with quality heavy roundish nose ammo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
a 10mm.

The 10mm is more powerful than a 357 mag.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 11:53:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Strange, I was a guide for 5 years and never once carried or recommended it to anyone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bear spray
/thread

and rape whistle?

All the stats say bear spray is more effective to deter a bear than a firearm, which would be the last resort.

That's why I carry both when in griz country.

Either I carry my G20 or my G29 both with LW extended tactical length barrels for extra velocity, or my S&W 329PD.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 12:35:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
a 10mm.

Factory or rolling your own? Not by much with factory but with loading your own, tough call as to which is superior. It's so mediocre though that I choose faster follow ups with a 10 over a wheel gun.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 7:16:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 10:35:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Buffalo Bore

Outdoorsman when in griz country.

Buffalo Bore Heavy 10mm Outdoorsman

Regular Heavy when not in griz country

Buffalo Bore Heavy 10mm

You can get both cheaper here.

Selway Armory 10mm
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 12:45:41 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

a 10mm.

Not when loaded by Buffalo Bore.  White / Green box,  sure.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:07:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Factory or rolling your own? Not by much with factory but with loading your own, tough call as to which is superior. It's so mediocre though that I choose faster follow ups with a 10 over a wheel gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Either way compare similar loads. +P 10mm won't beat a +P 357 but it would beat some standard load 357s.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:28:18 AM EDT
[#37]
While I don't frequent Alaska I would never feel under gunned with a 45ACP in wilds of North America.  Be smart about situational awareness and you will probably never need it.  That said its better to have and not need then need and not have.

Any "larger" caliber pistol or revolver would work just fine IMO but if my sole purpose was critter protection I would probably bring a shotgun.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 12:53:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Is 10mm+P or .357 Magnum+P even a SAAMI spec?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:35:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

SAAMI/Norma 10mm is as hot as it gets. Most is underloaded.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:36:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Either way compare similar loads. +P 10mm won't beat a +P 357 but it would beat some standard load 357s.
View Quote

10mm is not bested by the 357, unless you want to compare it to single shots without a vent in the barrel.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:52:58 PM EDT
[#41]
G21 w/.460Rowland conversion, 1 in the pipe and a 13 round magazine = nearly 14,000 ft/lb of muzzle energy on tap.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:59:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sort of want, I'm a glutton for punishment

Will it break my G20? Underwood heaters in 155 have broken a gen3 G20 of mine. Totally cracked the frame
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:35:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
a 10mm.

Two friends of mine wounded a brown bear with a .338 win mag. The found it and it charged. It was shot in the chest with a .45 ACP with a 230 gr JHP. The round ended up in the rump of the bear with about 5 ft of penetration. Bullets do strange and wondrous things.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:54:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

and rape whistle?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bear spray
/thread

and rape whistle?

At close range, in the Alders, unless you are quick draw McGraw with a gun, you will be scat like Tidwell was.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:57:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
a 10mm.

There have been a few interior grizzly's killed in the last 5-10 with the 45 ACP. One around Denali and the other one on the Kenai Penn.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:01:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Idk if this has been covered or not. I am looking at relocating to Alaska, but I am curious as to what's a good carry? I currently have 45acp, 45lc, 44mag. Are there better options or is there a round for a gun that I own that is good for self defense against bears,moose and whatnot.
Thanks in advance
View Quote

What ever gun you can shoot fast and accurately. 5 hits with a 45LC, is better than 5 misses with a 44 mag.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:06:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
G21 w/.460Rowland conversion, 1 in the pipe and a 13 round magazine = nearly 14,000 ft/lb of muzzle energy on tap.
View Quote
Guy I know on Kodiak, him and hi wife, both shoot the 1911 with the 460 Rowland conversions and shoot Hornady 200gr Jacketed SWC. Great penetration!

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1165445527/hornady-bullets-45-caliber-451-diameter-200-grain-full-metal-jacket-combat-target
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:48:43 PM EDT
[#48]
9-10 more rds. at hand without reloading in a G20+ with Buffalo Bore 220 gr solid cast. vs a .357 mag regardless of the ammo. And I love my 357s.

Plus my G20+ is lighter than my 686. Makes a difference in these parts.

Rides real nicely in a Diamond D holster.

Diamond D Guides Choice

But my 329PD is lighter but has the same capacity limitations as my 686.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:37:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Buffalo Bore

Outdoorsman when in griz country.

Buffalo Bore Heavy 10mm Outdoorsman

Regular Heavy when not in griz country

Buffalo Bore Heavy 10mm

You can get both cheaper here.

Selway Armory 10mm

View Quote

This. I carry Buffalo Bore 275 gr hard cast in 44 mag.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:01:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
While I don't frequent Alaska I would never feel under gunned with a 45ACP in wilds of North America.  Be smart about situational awareness and you will probably never need it.  That said its better to have and not need then need and not have.

Any "larger" caliber pistol or revolver would work just fine IMO but if my sole purpose was critter protection I would probably bring a shotgun.  
View Quote

This mostly^^^^^  my woods pistol is a g22, but I'm not in Ak and around my ao the primary critters are cats and a very very limited number of scrawny black bears.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top