Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2015 1:11:41 PM EDT
Would one of these buried make a useful BO rabbit hole or cache?

Tank

They're available from most any farm supply place.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:23:46 PM EDT
[#1]
A good friend of mine installed a tank similar to that when he was building his house in the country.  If anybody asked, he just told them it was cistern for rain water collection.  There eventually was water in it, along w/ food, and other prep gear.  He placed it so that the lid was about 1' underground.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:31:33 AM EDT
[#2]
that thing looks really interesting. water tight... and non metal, so metal detectors cant pick it up.  and anything metal in it, would be too deep for a detector to detect. ( at least commercial detectors.. they seem to max out at about 12" .. maybe go up to 24".
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:53:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:51:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
that thing looks really interesting. water tight... and non metal, so metal detectors cant pick it up.  and anything metal in it, would be too deep for a detector to detect. ( at least commercial detectors.. they seem to max out at about 12" .. maybe go up to 24".
View Quote

I was wondering about the metal detectors.  The friend who had one built a floor about 2'-3' from the bottom all the metallic items went down there and food, water, clothes, etc. went above it.  He didn't believe it would ever be found.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:06:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I was wondering about the metal detectors.  The friend who had one built a floor about 2'-3' from the bottom all the metallic items went down there and food, water, clothes, etc. went above it.  He didn't believe it would ever be found.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the larger the metal item, the deeper you can pick it up.... for instance.. a manhole cover could be detected much deeper than a handgun..... and a handgun a lot deeper than a quarter.

iv got a pin pointer, thats just for fine tuning your search, it USUALLY just picks up stuff a inch or two away..... but it will pick up my fridge from about 12-24" away...

so it just " depends"...   a metal lid / cover, would need to be at LEAST 24" deep to hide from your average metal detector. or you need to salt the area with bullshit metal, like bb's, small nuts, etc..... handfuls of bb's would cause a lot of problems for a detector.  they also have a hard time finding metal, next to other surface metal.... such as a car, etc.   so, some old scrap would hide buried stuff pretty well..

of course that plastic tank would be best, and it would never rust... so it would be the winner.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:29:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Sizes & prices?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:27:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sizes & prices?
View Quote

You could click the link.  But I'll save you the trouble 63" dia. x 74"H   $629

@buck, good info thanks.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:29:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Would one of these buried make a useful BO rabbit hole or cache?

Tank

http://www.plastic-mart.com/db_images/pm/ace/cistern/525_gallon_underground_water_storage_tank_ast-0525-1w_ace_rotomold.jpg

They're available from most any farm supply place.

View Quote

I would buy one and have the cover easily exposed. I would then place an official metal placard on the top that says "septic tank." No one will want to open it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:11:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Seems like an interesting idea, just make sure you have a way for air to get into the tank or you'll end up buried in your hidey hole permanently.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top