Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2015 8:25:33 AM EDT
I'm organizing the essentials for gun maintenance at different "levels:"  BOB, vehicle, etc.

Obviously, the first "tool" is a clean gun.  There is little concern about a one day or even a one week event requiring significant gun maintenance-- with certain exceptional scenarios, of course.

However, I'd like to know what others are thinking in terms of a portable "grab and go" gun maintenance kit-- even if it's pre-positioned in your BOL.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:25:12 AM EDT
[#1]
This is something that stays at home with my stuff. I do not personally see a need to keep a gun cleaning kit in my get home bag or truck. If things were to get that bad and I was away from my cleaning items, there are plenty of ways to clean/ lube any gun. You can find WD-40 and oil all over the place. Both will work for cleaning and lubrication. If you need to clean the bore, a shoe string, 550 cord ect. tied into a ball or something on the end of it works.

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:30:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I carry an ampule of gun oil and an oil soaked cleaning patch. They take up no room and have zero weight. For the bore, I do as posted above: 550 cord in knot.

Oil can actually come in handy, though. Never know when you need to lubricate some kind of mechanical thing.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:14:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got two Otis kits and bore snakes. That is all.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:27:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Rope..oil...rag..and standard kit. In buttstock.
Tobacco can surplus kit in the BOB.
I run a AK and glock...so its pretty bare bones ..

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:53:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I once had she'll fail to extract while hunting away from home. I needed a rod, the antenna from my truck worked just fine.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:59:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 12:38:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I keep a quart of 10w-30 motor oil and a couple of rags in my trucks backseat compartment. I also carry an AK so I don't worry to much with fancy cleaning kits.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 6:56:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Have a brass rod with the usual paraphernalia, Hoppe's No.9 for work bench cleaning.  Keep several bore snakes, CLP, and old t-shirt pieces in ziploc baggies to take to the range, etc. Have a couple of the small GI bottles with syn oil for lube.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 12:33:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Some oil - that is it.  A paper towel can clean most anything.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:49:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Shoe string and oil from a dipstick.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:35:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I used to keep a USGI cleaning kit in my pack, but a while back I picked up a MS Clean kit and I now run that instead.

Mainly I wanted a rod long enough to extract a stuck casing.  I'm not worried about cleaning my gun, per se, but for the size of the MS Clean kit, I'll take it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:13:36 AM EDT
[#12]
It's not possible to carry enough ammo to need a cleaning kit. If you feel otherwise you probably have the wrong type of gun.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:37:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:03:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Best thing I have found is the Otis cable kit paired down to the basics. O sure some 550 cord or what not works but when putting the final stock on that bull elk and you drive your rifle muzzle in the dirt it's sure easy while laying in the sage to whip the Otis kit out of your pack and push the cable down the barrel to knock out the dirt. I stripped the Otis kit down to what I need for quick field use and added some of my regular patches, I'm not planning on doing a full cleaning while out in the woods. The bottle of cleaner that comes with the Otis kit works good for general use and is small and easy to deal with. Like others have posted if the situation is that bad that I am shooting a high number of rounds then there should be motor oil and other stuff laying around to keep a weapon running.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:05:16 AM EDT
[#15]
The black Otis mil cleaning kit (IWCS?) with a small bottle of Break Free, extra patches, and some extra brushes.  I also have one of the small tan Otis kits, which I like.

In my truck, for emergencies, I keep a kit made of a Walmart universal gun cleaning kit, patches, a rag, and break free.  I stuff all of it in a paintball canister and tape the rods to the side.  I also have a Leatherman Wave with my stuff.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:01:00 AM EDT
[#16]
I only keep a basic GI cleaning kit in the BOB
The standard range cleaning kit is in a fairly large ammo can and has way more stuff than needed for a BOB
A BOBs to get you home or to safety in a handful of days. Unless its majorly inclement weather the last thing I'll be worrying about is weapons maintenance
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:40:55 AM EDT
[#17]
I carry an Otis kit for 556 and added a glock bore brush to cover my handguns
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:24:07 PM EDT
[#18]
I've got Remoil wipes individually wrapped and a bore snake. We keep fully stocked guncleaning kits at home and at the cabin. I just need something to get me to and from there in bad weather.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:30:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I always have paracord in my gear.  I can improvise with that and any kind of oil if necessary.  If I run enough rounds through anything where it really needs cleaning then well, yea...

In my longer term hunting kits I might bring a Q-tip or three, and a mini bottle of rem oil.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 6:18:15 AM EDT
[#20]
I've been brainwashed by .mil, but I'm a firm believer that rifles need wiped down as one of the earliest priorities of work every day.  I keep a set of GI rods, a bore brush, and the "tooth brush" in an old buttstock pouch on my fighting load, same with a hank of knotted 550 and a little bottle of oil. I like the USGI mini-clp because they don't leak or accidentally pop open, but I don't know where to buy my own so I usually end up filling up a different little one that pops open and leaks occasionally.  Not the end of the world, just annoying.

In my pack I have a stripped down tan OTIS kit that started life as one of the 5.56/7.62 USGI kits.  It has the cable snake, .22 brush, some patches, the tiny screw driver, pick head, and half tooth brush that came in the kit.  I also have a USGI chamber brush, a SAW tool, and either a 9mm brush.  All of this is wrapped up with piece of old T-shirt and a larger bottle of oil if I'm planning to be away for more than a day or two

I use the kit out of my pack for almost everything, along with the full size GI brush and  oil off my fighting load.  The rods are mainly in case of a stuck case or barrel obstruction, but it makes a nice backup.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:47:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's not possible to carry enough ammo to need a cleaning kit. If you feel otherwise you probably have the wrong type of gun.

View Quote

This.  

I've dumped 500 or so rounds through my ak in a day at the range, and  I did not notice any difference between round 1  and round 500.  I was shooting steel, so it's entirely possible that accuracy suffered some - but I couldn't tell.  

A knotted piece of paracord and some diesel have been regularly used to clean aks.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:07:28 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I always have paracord in my gear.  I can improvise with that and any kind of oil if necessary.  If I run enough rounds through anything where it really needs cleaning then well, yea...

In my longer term hunting kits I might bring a Q-tip or three, and a mini bottle of rem oil.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:20:34 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a couple of the disposabale gun oil wipes in the aluminum tear open toillete style packs.

And I have one of those Otis Flexible cleaning rods with one brush for the bore and one for the chamber.

Plus a small dropper of light oil.

Mainly because I am in the south and the humidity down here can very quickly cause problems.

Plus there are creeks and rivers, and marshlands/swamps everywhere. I cant imagine a scenario where I am travelling on foot and not getting wet at some point.

Everything fits in a sandwich sized ziplock bag.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:26:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Isn't it more about the conditions?

I can run a few thousand rounds through my AR without any issues, but humidity and water are more my concern. Plus I travel to the coast regularly and the salt water is a bitch on a gun. I have literally seen the rust on a blued barrel grow in just a few hours of duck hunting over on the salt marshes.
Can't imagine what 36-72 hours would do without at least being able to wipe it down once a day.

or dropping it in a mud hole or creek.... unless of course it is an AK in which case rock on..

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 6:33:32 PM EDT
[#25]
A 2oz bottle of Slip2k EWL.

We have a few Tipton gun cleaning vices and all sorts of cleaning gear at the BOL.  As far as GHB or BOB no cleaning gear. It is not needed in those situations.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:24:01 PM EDT
[#26]
.22 brush, 9mm brush, half a tooth brush, one cable, one small bottle of mobile 1, and some cotton patches.  That's it.  In the bob.  Nothing in the ghb.  Nothing in the car.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top