Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2015 9:46:34 PM EDT
I know that peltor and other muffs will block out gunfire but allow for talking.  Any ear plugs that do similar?

I'm thinking it would be a good idea to keep a set in the vehicle, night stand, GHB, range bag and pretty much anywhere else that shots might happen so long as their cheap enough.  

Anything like that exist?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 9:58:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah. Surefire. I think ep3 or ep5 or ep6 something. I have a pair in my pocket all the time. A pair in my truck and in my bag.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 10:07:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Game Ears
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 7:45:46 AM EDT
[#3]
There are some expensive custom electronic ones. Not sure I'd care to risk losing that sort of thing
Any reason why a normal set of plugs wouldn't let you communicate when needed?
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 9:54:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Nonoise Shoot w/ ceramic "filter" -  not cheap though - $30 @ amazon

Sonic II plugs - $23 @ amazon (aka Shooter's Impact Noise Reducing Ear Plugs - $13)

Or maybe 3M Peltor Combat Arms Earplugs - 2 plugs in 1 - $10 @ amazon
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 10:44:14 AM EDT
[#5]
http://www.surefire.com/tactical-equipment/hearing-protection.html

Here is the link. It is the ep3 that you are looking for. I have even on occasion seen these at WalMart.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 4:12:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I pack multiple pairs of Howard Leight MAX disposable plugs in virtually every kit, go bag, you name it I have.

They work find for shooting, though not as good as muffs. If you're in a self-defense situation, I seriously
doubt you will have time for ear pro unless it's some long protracted no law circumstance.

The main reason I carry them has nothing to do with shooting. Sleep is one of the most important things
you can do for your health, and having plugs has been the difference between sleep and no sleep for me
many, many times. It's also for occasional exposure to unexpectedly loud situations, definitely high
value to weight/space.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 6:56:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I have the motorsport version of the NoNoise for motorcycle riding.  I'm pretty happy with them.  Comfortable, pretty good protection, and can hear normal noises better than foam.

Nothing like my MSA/Sordin Supreme Pros but those don't really fit in my motorcycle helmet...

Link Posted: 3/15/2015 3:21:54 AM EDT
[#8]
There is a company that makes a sort of "shooters hearing aid", of sorts. It basically does the same thing as the Peltor/Sordin for amplification with a noise shut of filter. Very cool stuff, but they do not give them away.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 8:40:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
There is a company that makes a sort of "shooters hearing aid", of sorts. It basically does the same thing as the Peltor/Sordin for amplification with a noise shut off filter. Very cool stuff, but they do not give them away.
View Quote
Walker's game ear - ~$30 to $200 (street price) per pair depending on model/features.  But they are "active" i.e they require a battery to function.  If the battery dies, they are just expensive ear plugs.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 9:30:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes, but the ones that really work are done with the help of an Audiologist and they are expensive.  I have a set of Westone digital plugs for both my son and I for use while hunting and shooting sporting clays.  At 2k per set, I wouldn't just be throwing them around or leaving the in the car.  While they are expensive, I need to protect as much of the hearing as I have left, and I hope my 16 year old never has to deal with the issue.  Most of the passive style plugs either don't fit correctly, do not block enough sound, or are inserted incorrectly.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 1:52:06 PM EDT
[#11]

I've had a pair of those 'Sonic' ear plugs for years....annoying as hell in the wind! I can't believe I went so long before spending the dollars and getting a good pair of Peltor's.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 7:00:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Slightly off topic....

If you use the collapsable foam roll-em-up-and-stuff-em-in type ear plugs, do NOT by the ones made by Walker.

I have used foam plugs continuously, for work, snowmobiling, shooting and hunting for over 25 years.  I've used them all.  I buy them by the carton (500-1000 pairs). Some time ago I bought an entire carton of these Walker plugs, orange in color, from Cabelas.  They are complete crap...

The feel softer than many foamies.  Unfortunately, something is dramatically wrong with them.  They are okay for the first 30 minutes or so, maybe a tad longer.  Then all of a sudden your ears will begin to hurt like crazy.  Every single time I use these for something like a motorcycle ride, I'm pulling over in 30 minutes and tearing my helmet off, trying to extract these utter POS plugs out.  And for what its worth, I've had friends try them too.  Their response:  "WTF is with these $#%#!#! plugs???!!!  MY ears are killing me!".  Feels sorta like a yellow jacket crawled in your ear and stung ya......

You've been warned.  Don't buy foamies from Walker.  They cause some sorta skin reaction inside the ear canal...  I think there is a coating on the plug, and its causing the reaction.

Fro
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 3:59:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Slightly Off Topis too...

I wear Foamies almost everyday for something: CNC Mill, air hose, vaccum, chainsaw, shooting, etc. I too have tried pretty much every style too. A lot of time I 'double plug' - ear plugs and ear muffs. I will NOT go to a shooting range with out doing this. I had bozos let one off during 'range cold' and had my muffs off.

I have not found the "let some sound thru" units to work well. One other thing to keep in mind is that if the ear plug has a solid shaft that sticks out beyond the ear canal, hitting the side of head, (falling down, etc.) could drive the shaft into your ear. (Almost had this happen..)

I settled on this foamie:

Moldex - I cut approx 1/3 off the tip and bell section entirely fills the canal opening for additional attenuation.

Link Posted: 3/16/2015 4:33:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I have used electronic game ears to those sonic things to the Surefire to the yellow/olive 3M milspec units to standard plugs.

I actually bought a few different kinds a few years ago to see what I liked best.

Here are my findings:

To hell with the electronic ones. Had 3 of 4 fail. Requires batteries. The one started squealing really bad in my ear when it went out.

The sonic things: insanely uncomfortable, didn't' work well. Maybe they have better ones now, but once bitten twice shy and all.

The real test is between the Surefire and the 3M Peltor

Some notes on the Surefire: they have different grades and different options. I went with the EP4 Sonic Defenders PLUS. They have a lot of models that are full time hearing blocking. The EP4 I got has the "filter" and I can hear conversations quite well. Gunshots are muffled well, and I can hear normal conversation with ease. While walking with them in, I can hear leaves crunching under my feet in the woods. If you need/want full time blocking with the filter model, there is a little plug you plug in and it is full time deaf.

The 3M Peltor ear plugs work equally well with the Surefire. Really, they are a tossup. They are very comfortable, work just as well with hearing and sound suppression as the Surefire.

Advantages of the Surefire:

Adjustable depth

Flush with your ear: helmet and hat friendly

Have lanyard included (but I don't use it)

Choice of different models to suite your needs. The EP7 offer even better protection.

Advantages of 3M Peltor:

Cheap. $10 with prime shipping

Universal: The surefire fits in your ear crevasses, so it needs to fit you: you need to order the right size. The 3M fits most.

My setup: I use the Surefire EP4 as first choice, and have a few pairs of 3M Peltor plugs as backup. I now hunt with the surefire plugs in. I've already lost too much hearing from hunting with no ear pro, and I am only about 30 years old! Don't want any more damage (being deaf SUCKS, btw. And people actually get mad at you for not being able to hear them!), and I want my kids to maintain their hearing.

I also keep standard foam plugs as handouts and more backups...

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 12:34:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yeah. Surefire. I think ep3 or ep5 or ep6 something. I have a pair in my pocket all the time. A pair in my truck and in my bag.
View Quote

These are the best in my experience.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 2:54:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I keep a pair of these in my car . You never know when you need them
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 11:11:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For sure. I have had a lot of opportunities to shoot when visiting relatives and it is nice to have some ear pro on hand. Also times where I come upon things near the house or back in the woods that need to be shot (snakes, etc.). I take a few seconds to preserve my hearing. I keep a pair inside their little plastic case in my pants pocket with my keys. May seem excessive, but I do use them often and they don't weight anything and don't take up much space.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 6:15:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Here is the link. It is the ep3 that you are looking for. I have even on occasion seen these at WalMart.
View Quote

How good will these work on an outdoor range . Ear muffs get real sweaty in the hot summer .
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 9:52:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I use these.  They worked around construction equipment and for the range.  I got mine for free.

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Military-Plugs-OLIVE-Large/dp/B008TVBGCS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426729801&sr=8-1&keywords=military+ear+plug+case
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 9:57:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

How good will these work on an outdoor range . Ear muffs get real sweaty in the hot summer .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is what they are best for. As you know indoor ranges are loud. I prefer muffs plus plugs for indoor ranges. You can wear these surefire plugs a long time, sweating whatever. (I am in Mississippi).
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:20:29 PM EDT
[#21]
I am very familiar with this being a provider for hearing protection. I use and make custom molded plugs that do not hurt to wear all day long and I am able to carry on a conversation with them due to the ceramic filters in them. They are called insta-mold hearing protection. I charge $95 a pair and if you wear them every day they will last about 5 years without any touching up. If you are interested there are independent providers all over the country. Earinc.com is the company I am an independent provider through.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:47:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I am very familiar with this being a provider for hearing protection. I use and make custom molded plugs that do not hurt to wear all day long and I am able to carry on a conversation with them due to the ceramic filters in them. They are called insta-mold hearing protection. I charge $95 a pair and if you wear them every day they will last about 5 years without any touching up. If you are interested there are independent providers all over the country. Earinc.com is the company I am an independent provider through.
View Quote

I just got the insta-mold custom last week for free at work but I don't think there are any ceramics in these, they put a stopper in your ear and inject some gunk and remove it after 10 minutes.  They are the best I have ever used as far as noise reduction.  I am likely to use my Howard Leight impact sports for hunting as you do need to hear some things
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:03:17 PM EDT
[#23]
I tried those Surefire ear plugs . Total junk . Surefire should be ashamed for putting their name on them .
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:12:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Surefire EP3's come pretty close. I've used them for awhile. I keep a few pairs in my gun bag and aair in my night stand.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:37:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Yesterday I was at Recobs Target Shop and they had a bunch of These on the shelf for about $12 and I probably should have bought one or two to compare to the insta mold
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:18:19 AM EDT
[#26]
I cant stand the surefire ones. I tried the ep3 and ep5. the hurt my ears and the ep3s didnt seem to attenuate 9mm too well. I use the banded style around the back of my head now. I couldnt be happier.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:38:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:09:41 PM EDT
[#28]
These are the best I've found.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/mack's-ultra-soft-foam-earplugs/ID=prod6155567-product

They expand at a slow enough rate that you can get them in place and adjusted before fully expanded.

32dB reduction, great to wear under muffs.

I wear daily while sleeping, and no ear pain.

And, conversations are not too badly muffled out.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:08:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I just got the insta-mold custom last week for free at work but I don't think there are any ceramics in these, they put a stopper in your ear and inject some gunk and remove it after 10 minutes.  They are the best I have ever used as far as noise reduction.  I am likely to use my Howard Leight impact sports for hunting as you do need to hear some things
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is an option to add the baffles/filters. Stock they do not have them in them. The provider should have discussed this with you.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:23:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:52:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Off topic, but I have a couple pairs of electronic muffs.  I really like those for all day shooting events and being able to interface while not really knowing when the next shot will go off.  They've really come down in cost too.  

I paid like under $50.
View Quote

I have three pair. I love them. After using them, I can't go back to regular muffs. Especially when teaching another shooter, I let them use a set of my electronic muffs so that they can hear me talking to them. I have worn them all day deer hunting and forget I have them on. They let me hear better, keep my ears warm, and keep me from going deaf when I shoot. Nothing but win.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:52:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

There is an option to add the baffles/filters. Stock they do not have them in them. The provider should have discussed this with you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The provider may have discussed the option with my employer but not me.  The crew I am on was selected to see how well these perform
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top