Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2015 3:51:34 PM EDT
I stopped by a local store today to pick up a prepaid Visa or American express to stick in my wallet, just in case but when I read the back of the package, I found out that you have to register the card and submit your social security number, address and name, etc. What the hell? I don't remember having to do that before. You would just buy the card and have the cashier put whatever amount you wanted to have, on the card. Am I being overly paranoid about this or is it another way of knowing what we are up to?
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 3:54:31 PM EDT
[#1]
The vanilla prepaid cards you have to register. The gift cards you can use instantly. They cost a dollar more.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 4:01:59 PM EDT
[#2]
What can one of those cards do that cash can't?
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 4:31:56 PM EDT
[#3]
As a merchant, I hate American Express with a passion.

That said, why not cash?
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 5:03:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Plastic has some options.

Gas station closed but pumps still turned on, better have plastic.  I live rural and while there is a 24 hour gas station there are a few others that are usually empty since they shut down late at night.

Need to do something over the phone or net, plastic works.

I don't buy gift cards or pre-paid stuff, sometimes for rewards or something I do wind up with them.  I make sure to use them up.

Anything store specific is a waste of space to me.  

Some prepaid stuff, all that I have dealt with, are good for x months before they start charging a monthly fee that autodeducts from the account.  Waste of money to me.

Have a debit or credit card in your name, takes care of the prepaid stuff.

If you want plastic that is not in your name and not related to you, use what was mentioned above about paying a buck more.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 5:34:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd say cash.  If the credit cards aren't working, I'd say there's a good chance nothing electronic is going to work!!
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:37:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Cash . I have never had anyone say no cash except UPS COD.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:51:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Get denied due to lack of electricity.

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:08:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Check your expiration dates.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:53:31 AM EDT
[#9]
For the longest time, I had several gift cards in my BOB for places like Chili's, Burger King, etc. to use when I was on the road for classes or road trips. I have the cards in addition to whatever cash I happen to have on me at the time, so I have another option in case I want to keep the cash for something else or to order something online. I have seen ATM's down, gas stations unable to take cash for whatever reason, etc and just wanted to have another option just in case.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:23:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Nothing wrong with options, op.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:32:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Go with Cash.  If SHTF and the banks go down, those plastic cards aren't going to be worth anything.....
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:15:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a $50 dollar gift card with the bottom wrapped in 5 yards of bright green duct tape. Afte the first wrap I put in a utility razor blade and continued to wrap. I also ran a few feet of electrical tape around all of duct tape. Makes a great place to tuck a needle in too. You can also use them to scrape ice off your windshield or open a standard door lock.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:01:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nothing wrong with options, op.
View Quote

Yep, get and use both at your discretion. It's your money.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:27:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I stopped by a local store today to pick up a prepaid Visa or American express to stick in my wallet, just in case but when I read the back of the package, I found out that you have to register the card and submit your social security number, address and name, etc. What the hell? I don't remember having to do that before. You would just buy the card and have the cashier put whatever amount you wanted to have, on the card. Am I being overly paranoid about this or is it another way of knowing what we are up to?
View Quote

Visa and Mastercard have both gift cards and pre-paid reloadable cards.

The gift cards for non-internet purchases require no additional info. For an Internet purchase you do need to register them which entails ONLY your zip code.
In my experience these will not work for online firearms purchases, most likely due to the lack of ID. Upon trying,  your card will be locked for appx. 10 days and then released.

Reloadables will require all of an individuals info, (name, rank, and serial number. These are similar to ordinary CC's.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:39:14 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:07:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks wagonwheel,
Looks like a great way to get some things with minimum drama.  

Stay frosty gouys

Quoted:
Quoted:

The gift cards for non-internet purchases require no additional info. For an Internet purchase you do need to register them which entails ONLY your zip code.
In my experience these will not work for online firearms purchases, most likely due to the lack of ID. Upon trying,  your card will be locked for appx. 10 days and then released.

Reloadables will require all of an individuals info, (name, rank, and serial number. These are similar to ordinary CC's.

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:50:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thanks wagonwheel,

Stay frosty gouys

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks wagonwheel,

Stay frosty gouys

Quoted:
Quoted:

I personally like the gift cards for on line purchases.

1) Anonymity
2) In case of theft you will only be out the amount of the card. Nothing linked to a bank account, but still protected by Visa/Mastercard.
3) At the end of the month there will be no bill in the mailbox.

Of course as others have stated, without power they are next to useless. For emergency funds cash is always king.

ETA: No matter the amount you actually put onto a card it saves to get the 0 - $500 one. The smaller amounts, $25-$50 cards are typically a little more expensive.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 8:48:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Cash... it always works, even when the lights are out.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 9:40:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Be cancelled and replaced if stolen.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 9:42:43 AM EDT
[#20]
"I personally like the gift cards for on line purchases.

1) Anonymity
2) In case of theft you will only be out the amount of the card. Nothing linked to a bank account, but still protected by Visa/Mastercard.
3) At the end of the month there will be no bill in the mailbox."

Copied since limit of quotes is five!

Great reasons right here!
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 9:43:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Cash... it always works, even when the lights are out.
View Quote

Does it always work?

I was at a Home Depot about 2 months ago when the power went off,
they would not accept cash either since the registers were down - I had cash.

Sat around on the garden furniture until the power came back - about an hour.
It was not too bad, the store employees came around with free bottled water while we waited.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 1:06:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Cash is king
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 6:13:01 AM EDT
[#23]
I will agree cash is king.  If power or the credit card system does not work. Cash will.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:11:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Be careful of the money/gift cards. Some of them begin to charge a monthly account maintenance fee after a period of time. If you put one of these cards away for emergency use, you may find that the card company has already siphoned off your money and the account is dead by the time you need to use it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 6:58:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This and American Express has a card that you can reload.  Also ALL American Express does not expire.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 7:18:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If there's no electricity the pumps won't be working anyway.  Cans full of gas in your garage are the only thing that will fill your tank at that point.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top