Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2015 9:04:54 PM EDT
Food Saver bags are expensive, extra thin, and not the best for long term storage & prepping.

I haven't tried this yet, but will soon.  .....

I thought some of you may be interested in how to pull a good vacuum, and make thick bags using smooth sided plastic tubing.

youtube vid

A while back I purchased a big roll ( 725 feet ) of 9 inch - 6 mil tubing here:
Bulk rolls of food grade polyethylene tubing --> http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23457&catid=703
Link added for more tubing options and roll dispenser ( you may be able to make a dispenser ) http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/default.aspx?catid=703&parentcatid=451&clickid=topnavmenu

----------   Third Update 1/9/15 ----------- Test successful

Since the vacuum failed after repeated tests - I decided to:
1. Pull the vacuum with the Foodsaver strip.
2. Press ( down ) on Foodsaver  lid as it begins SEAL cycle ( this helps transfer heat, and to fuse the seal ).
3. Then open Foodsaver  lid - SNIP OFF THE TEXTURED STRIP ( with scissors) - ( allowing clearance for a new heat seal ).
4. Lower bag - close lid, and SEAL a second time.

Testing in progress to verify it holds vacuum.... will report back ( see more reports below photos )
Keep in mind I'm using THICK 6mil plastic - this stuff is pretty darn tough - assuming FS bags are 2mil - I'm sealing 14 mils at one point - with the FS strip.
Pics Below

Vacuum and 1st Seal - ( notice the thin contact area on sealing strip - it won't hold 6 mil plastic ).

Second seal placed after textured tab shortened.

----> 1/9/2015 8pm cst approx 8 hours later, the bag is hard, rock solid - vacuum holding nicely.  I believe this technique is GTG
Mrs. Fundummy wanted the label  inside...

----> 1/11/2015 Test successful using super thick 6mil plastic.  Black bean vacuum holding firmly. I believe it's good to go for a very long time.

How To Summary:
1. Cut about a 1 inch strip of the textured side of a Foodsaver bag.

2. Extend this strip inside bag ( contacting food ) through bag opening and feed it into vacuum chamber with bag lips.

3. Pull vacuum - then seal as usual.  

4. If using 6mil bagging, snip textured strip off with scissors, and place another seal above.  Result should look like second photo.
   If using 4 mil or thinner bagging, you may - or may not need to place a second seal to hold a solid vacuum.  Try it and see

Notes:
1. As you rotate through foodstuffs, you may want to save used Foodsaver textured sides for tabs.
2. Newer Foodsaver models ( the vertical type ) may not be suitable for this application, as you may not have access to manually insert textured tab.

Foodsaver FAQ-->  http://www.foodsaver.com/service-%26-support/product-support/product-faqs/bags-%26-rolls/general-questions/bags-and-rolls-general-questions-faq.html

How thick are FS bags?

All FoodSaver® brand heat-seal bags and rolls are constructed of multi-layer plastic for a durable, air-tight seal. FoodSaver® brand bags are constructed in the following thicknesses:

FoodSaver Bags – Heat-Seal (all)
Smooth side: 3mils thick
Textured side: 11.5mils thick

GameSaver Bags – Heat-Seal (all except Heavy Duty Bag; see below for specifications on thickness for this bag)
Smooth side: 3mils thick

GameSaver Heavy Duty Bag – Heat-Seal
Smooth side: 4mils thick
View Quote

( it appears Foodsaver is measuring the texture with the plastic thickness here )

Misc info:--->  http://www.gtzip.com/helpfaqs.html
2 Mil. = 50.8 Microns = .0508 Millimeters = 2/1000 inch. The standard household Ziploc® Brand sandwich bag is 1.5 Mil.

2 Mil. is the standard industry thickness.----The heavier freezer bags sold in stores are about 3 Mil.

4 Mil. = 101.6 Microns = .1016 Millimeters = 4/1000 inch. 4 Mil bags are twice as thick as the 2 Mil. bags and considered heavyweight.

6 Mil. = 152.4 Microns = .1524 Millimeters = 6/1000 inch. 6 Mil bags are three times as thick as the 2 Mil. bags and considered extra-heavyweight.
View Quote

So there - we've beat the ridiculous priced Foodsaver bag racket.  
We can make super duty 6mil bags at roughly 18 cents per foot. Vacuum pack anything that fits - Ammunition, batteries, sugar / salt, corn meal, etc ...

Comments, questions, and input are welcome ... thanks for your comments and time
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 9:13:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag for the results when you do try it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 9:51:51 PM EDT
[#2]
sweet
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:26:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I bet this would work with Mylar bags. I will give it a try and report back
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 12:17:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I have done it  like this guy but I used freezer bags and mylar bags. It works.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 12:30:02 AM EDT
[#5]
OST for results.
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 8:49:06 PM EDT
[#6]

If anyone is unable to view youtube vids, let me know, and I'll explain.

Some folks may have bugged out already....
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 9:18:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll give this a try. We just had a good sale this week on ham beans so we bought a few bags. We've also been stocking up on ground beef so this may give us a little reprieve from the food saver rolls.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 8:54:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks fundummy.

Lets go guys fundummy needs a few more views of his one minute video to get to 87
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 9:53:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks, I tried this a coupe of weeks ago with a heavy duty ziplock and it's didn't seal well, i think the plastic was not heat resistant enough.  I'll try the plastic tubing.

How is the seal integrity today? Did you double seal?
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 10:01:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If anyone is unable to view youtube vids, let me know, and I'll explain.

Some folks may have bugged out already....
View Quote

Very clever.  Thanks!

Please keep a few bags sealed and let us know how tight they've stayed after a year.

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:07:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Interesting

Thanks OP
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:52:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Nice tip! I'll definitely have to give this a try.

As a secondary question, what's the smallest width the checkered strip can be and still pull a vacuum so as to use as little as possible? 1/2"? 1/4"?
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 1:33:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Working on the new test now...
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:14:12 PM EDT
[#14]

I haven't used these for dry foods but I have used them for a couple of years on meats for the freezer and they work great and are cheap.

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 10:02:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Reloaded for updates at the top.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 10:42:03 AM EDT
[#16]
I tried it a couple of weeks ago with about a 1/4" strip.  It worked, but was very slow to pull a vacuum.  I will splurge and use a wider piece next time.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 11:04:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Please keep a few bags sealed and let us know how tight they've stayed after a year.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I don't think we have that long eracer....

Quoted:
I tried it a couple of weeks ago with about a 1/4" strip.  It worked, but was very slow to pull a vacuum.  I will splurge and use a wider piece next time.

Nice to know cfcw, thanks.  

4 mil bags may not need a double seal.  I need to mic some freezer bags to see how thick they are.

BTW, the bag of black beans is still sucked up tight as a brick today
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 5:39:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Conclusion and info added to OP.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 9:47:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Why not use one of these for the final seal?

Plenty of them on eBay at low cost.

Bag sealer.

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 12:15:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Why not use one of these for the final seal?

Plenty of them on eBay at low cost.

Bag sealer.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_-CzZeksjY7nEgszjBj-rYNBfM9f4fAPxlEBhaZLivvNOZ1Jd

View Quote

Might be a good idea to use it for the first and final seal, to preserve Foodsaver heat sealer - wear & tear.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 12:16:01 PM EDT
[#21]
oops - double tap.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 12:48:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Interesting .... great job OP and thanks for the info.

I have a food saver machine and would buy the box of rolled foodsaver bags at Costco for around $50. I think the boxes contained 4 large rolls and 2 smaller rolls.

Not sure of the total feet of bags but they would last a couple years worth of freezing fish and a few other things.

Always looking for a way to save $$$
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 1:15:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Awesome OP!  I process a lot of game meat and I've noticed the original food saver bags often loose seal with time.   Based on this post I am considering ordering a roll of 4 mil bags.  For my use that would be fine.  I have lots of sausage to process here shortly - this could be a great thing!
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 1:31:47 PM EDT
[#24]
OST
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:41:24 PM EDT
[#25]
The Black beans are still holding vacuum - good since the 9th.

I've added more Pinto beans.  We make a slot in the original bag - insert O2 absorbers then vac seal.

Made some baby size bags for batteries out of freezer bags.  

Occasionally  the seal is not 100% - just below the thick blue line on the zipper.
The " Ziploc " branding on the bags is easily wiped off with a paper towel saturated with rubbing alcohol.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:51:46 PM EDT
[#26]
I have had good luck with these bags. They work out to about 19 cents each.  http://www.webstaurantstore.com/14281/vacuum-packaging-machine-bags.html?filter=out-of-chamber-bag-type:full-mesh-storage-bags
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:22:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have had good luck with these bags. They work out to about 19 cents each.  http://www.webstaurantstore.com/14281/vacuum-packaging-machine-bags.html?filter=out-of-chamber-bag-type:full-mesh-storage-bags
View Quote

Thanks! I'm ordering some now! I just ran out of my FS bags.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:06:06 PM EDT
[#28]
TAG!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top