Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2014 3:16:28 PM EDT
Dallas Ebola patient vomited outside apartment on way to hospital

A few folks I know do not share my enthusiasm for preparedness. My departed cousin used to laugh at me and say things like "What are you afraid of, zombies?"

I live less than three miles from where Thomas Eric Duncan threw up his Ebola-ridden guts.

I'll tell you what I'm prepping for, dear cousin. Ebola.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:19:10 PM EDT
[#1]
my father in law laughed at me for having a single bucket of emergency food....he said "you should vote if you want to do something"

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:33:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:43:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And look at the precautions they're taking while cleaning up the vomit.

http://twitchy.com/2014/10/02/news-chopper-caught-ebola-clean-up-crew-um-notice-anything-missing-its-enraging-photo/

View Quote

Check out the Red Cross precautions in delivering food to the patients family, who is in home quarantine in the apartment shared by all during his visit. If this is our best effort with 'patient zero' here, we are in deep shit.

http://twitchy.com/2014/10/02/trying-to-cause-epidemic-this-food-delivery-to-ebola-family-is-truly-unbelievable-photos/
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:52:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Check out the Red Cross precautions in delivering food to the patients family, who is in home quarantine in the apartment shared by all during his visit. If this is our best effort with 'patient zero' here, we are in deep shit.
http://twitchy.com/2014/10/02/trying-to-cause-epidemic-this-food-delivery-to-ebola-family-is-truly-unbelievable-photos/
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And look at the precautions they're taking while cleaning up the vomit.
http://twitchy.com/2014/10/02/news-chopper-caught-ebola-clean-up-crew-um-notice-anything-missing-its-enraging-photo/

Amazing!
- The hospital fails to follow recently enacted CDC protocols, even after the fact the victim told them he just flew in from Liberia.

- Not only does the Gov. refuse to stop all inbound flights from affected countries, they don't even have anybody screening arriving flights from said countries for sick passengers.

- As it stands now, no guidance whatsoever has been provided to any FED LEO agency, not even to CBP, FAMS or USBP, who would be on the front lines of this, on what to do should they suspect a sick passenger. We won't even get into the fact that they have no equipment (masks, gloves, etc.)
This is turning into yet another Gov. clusterf*ck.....

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:58:15 PM EDT
[#5]

My God; I'm speechless at what you guys posted. And Governor Perry stated the Texas medical system is working the way it's supposed to???

Holy Fuck.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:31:07 PM EDT
[#6]
You have to love the fact he is wearing a YOLO shirt.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:37:16 PM EDT
[#7]
[GD] Ebola cant spread in the US because of our 1st world medical expertise, top notch protocols, and superior hygiene.[\GD]
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:20:08 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

[GD] Ebola cant spread in the US because of our 1st world medical expertise, top notch protocols, and superior hygiene.[\GD]

View Quote

That might have been true if we hadn't let so many 3rd world people flood this country.  

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:33:55 AM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:42:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Earlier, I was reading in the mainstream news media, that ebola is really hard to spread. I guess they news media is wrong, again.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:32:51 AM EDT
[#11]
jesus H, lets aerosolize the ebola with a pressure washer..... GL Texas. Looks like you guys won't have to compete much longer with FL....
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:09:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/By-uPZoCIAAi79n.jpg
View Quote
I'm sure he will also refrain from sexual contact with others for 7 weeks after recovery.

If you didn't know, the Ebola virus is in semen 7 weeks after recovery.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:58:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm sure he will also refrain from sexual contact with others for 7 weeks after recovery.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IIRC, the CDC says up to 3 MONTHS...
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:25:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

is that the delivery guy or the one already dieing from ebola?
because he looks like shit.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:50:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Scroll down the WFAA page and watch the clean-up video:
Good thing they hired professionals to do the work.
http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/health/2014/10/02/family-ebola-patient-ordered-stay-home-dallas/16574877/

Let's see,
The vomit was there since Sunday,
they cleaned it yesterday (Thursday) and I don't see any drains in the video.

Relax, everything is OK.

Set your calendars.
I think we shall see in about 2-3 weeks just how hard ebola is to catch.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:05:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

You should feel safe- we can count on fine, upstanding citizens like this to stay inside as ordered. No concerns there.

COMMUNITY! Every one is going to do their part and we will all sing Kumbaya and plant Victory Gardens....

I wasn't nearly as concerned about this Ebola crap till I saw "Ebola YOLO" (Eboloyo? LOL) guy there. Now I'm greatly concerned.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:21:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Oh, they had helicopter footage of some guy hosing down the sidewalk with a pressure washer. No bleach or other cleaning substance is evident. Should be ok now, right?

Right?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:29:49 AM EDT
[#18]
I bet YOLO will be on the street corner this weekend with his purple drank telling his home boyz what a bad azz he is and no MF'ing CDC honky gonna tell me what to do!  

Wonder if they bleached the sidewalk before they had the bright idea of pressure washing it? My money is on the guy doing the pressure washing with no protection becoming ill.

Ebola may do us all a favor in this country by taking out some of the stupid people.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:07:39 PM EDT
[#19]
What are the odds neighborhood dogs ate some of the vomit and then went home to lick their owners' hands and face???

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:45:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What are the odds neighborhood dogs ate some of the vomit and then went home to lick their owners' hands and face???

View Quote

We'll know in about three weeks
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:50:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Absolutely zero.

I have been repeatedly told by all the "experts" in GD that due to our first world status, top-notch medical system, impeccable 'Murican hygiene, and laser-focused response from both federal and local agencies that what you are describing is impossible. Ebola-vomit covered sidewalks, people breaking quarantine, lack of adequate PPE and procedures, and hospitals turning away Ebola-infected patients only happen in other countries and could never happen here.

Oh, wait...

The overlapping layers of incompetence being shown here are staggering. If this is contained, it will be entirely due to luck and not any effort on the part of the so-called "authorities".

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:04:24 PM EDT
[#22]
I want to know what is going to happen when the first EMT, firefighter or cop comes down with Ebola.  Blue flu anyone?  First responders in the U.S. have next to nothing to protect them from this stuff for the most part.  Gloves, okay, maybe a facemask?  What happens when our quarantined families don't stay holed up?  Going to arrest them?  What if they fight?  What if they are sick and fight?

Going to get interesting here.....
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:06:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Dont know if posted but they were saying the Ambulance could be infected and they transported buncha ppl before it got cleaned up.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:15:12 PM EDT
[#24]
So.. to be mostly safe from accidental infection, you'd have to be at least 21 days of travel time away from other humans or other critters that can be infected.

That Mars colony is sounding better all the time.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:23:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I want to know what is going to happen when the first EMT, firefighter or cop comes down with Ebola.  Blue flu anyone?  First responders in the U.S. have next to nothing to protect them from this stuff for the most part.  Gloves, okay, maybe a facemask?  What happens when our quarantined families don't stay holed up?  Going to arrest them?  What if they fight?  What if they are sick and fight?

View Quote

Its not the 1st time we have done a Pt transfer from one hospital to another... Wheel into the receiving hospital to off load the Pt into his/her room and all the staff is in face masks, gowns, and respirators... ... WTF? Oh the other facility didn't tell you that this Pt had a bad case of Gongelcockolucusherpahivylis... Why no they didnt, but that explains why they wanted them gone so fast...

We wont know that we came into contact with it, until after we get home to our families...
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:24:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Absolutely zero.

I have been repeatedly told by all the "experts" in GD that due to our first world status, top-notch medical system, impeccable 'Murican hygiene, and laser-focused response from both federal and local agencies that what you are describing is impossible. Ebola-vomit covered sidewalks, people breaking quarantine, lack of adequate PPE and procedures, and hospitals turning away Ebola-infected patients only happen in other countries and could never happen here.

Oh, wait...

The overlapping layers of incompetence being shown here are staggering. If this is contained, it will be entirely due to luck and not any effort on the part of the so-called "authorities".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely zero.

Oh, wait...

It's PRIDE and it's nauseating to hear on radio, TV etc. It's the "we are bad ass amerikants and therefore we can handle this..."

Really? That's a bold statement....
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:08:03 PM EDT
[#27]
The normalcy bias displayed by the authorities, and many in GD is stunning.

Has this administration done anything correctly? Anything? Because I can't think of any official policy they have planned and executed well? Hell I'd settle for OK but nothing comes to mind.

It is these repeated fuck ups by people who should know better that makes me want to empty my bank accounts, hole up and tell the world to go away.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:16:06 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, we all know he's not gonna go 3 months without. YOLO!

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:19:39 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

The normalcy bias displayed by the authorities, and many in GD is stunning.

Has this administration done anything correctly? Anything? Because I can't think of any official policy they have planned and executed well? Hell I'd settle for OK but nothing comes to mind.

It is these repeated fuck ups by people who should know better that makes me want to empty my bank accounts, hole up and tell the world to go away.  
View Quote
I'm actually working on that.

Watch what is going on in Africa. They are SERIOUS about gearing up. Here, they pressure wash infected vomit into the street wearing NO protection. The admin is NOT closing the boarders, or even screening people. People from Africa should be quarantined for 3 weeks upon entry. People go into a hospital WITH EBOLA SYMPTOMS AND AFRICA TRAVEL HISTORY and gets sent home with ABs . Our southern boarder is WIDE OPEN to weaponize shit like this.

My purchasing card has been getting a workout...
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:47:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Absolutely zero.

---oh, wait...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely zero.

---oh, wait...

Why in the world would the 'Authorities' want to contain it, right now, when they can use this 'Crisis' to further their AGENDA and not have said crisis...

...go to waste.

Thunk abt it, if you don't have a sloppy or medical turf-filled brain...  And have a ackshually WORKING non-brainwashed brain...

3rd term Baby!!! Nov elections...

What a GREAT dishtraction from the criminal political realities of DC!!!!  

The PTB couldn't have come up with a  better SHEEPLE distraction [/span]if they had ENGINEERED IT THEMSELFS!!!!

oh wait....

People are already [span style='color: blue;']clamoring for what shit to buy & wut ammo will do the best job on Ebola infected Zoombies
, [308 obviously]  and hardly anyone has died in the US.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:20:08 PM EDT
[#31]
One major complication is that the Dallas government is only marginally better than that in a third-world country.  The mayor is weak in power, and much of the decisions are made and pushed by the South Dallas political machine.  Cronyism runs rampant.  The County Judge (not really a judge, but elected to run the place) is beholden to certain indicted/unindicted coconspirators in South Dallas.  The sheriff is not the brightest bulb in the city, but at least she's not outright crooked.  

Things happen slowly and poorly, if at all.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:44:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

This was one of the first things I mentioned to my wife last night when we discussed the whole panic thing.  Not a 3rd term - I think even that might be too much... for now.  But with a terrifying and highly communicable killer virus (at least that's how it will be drummed up by the media) AND the potential for random jihadi attacks on our soil targeting clustered groups of Americans, it's about time that we switched to an entirely mail-in ballot system.  It keeps us all safe from being coughed on and/or blown up, and it ensures that no one is disenfranchised due to ID requirements.

It's not who votes but who counts the votes, and mail-in-only is an awesome way to steal elections.  Looks completely fair and square, too.

Not saying it IS playing out but, from what I've seen of politics and elections since our recalls, I can say that it isn't beyond the realm of possibility.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:18:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Wife just made a great point:

CDC/Obama admin saying that Ebola WILL NOT SPREAD is like White Star Lines claiming the Titanic CANNOT SINK.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:24:27 PM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:46:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Why in the world would the 'Authorities' want to contain it, right now, when they can use this 'Crisis' to further their AGENDA and not have said crisis...

...go to waste.

Thunk abt it, if you don't have a sloppy or medical turf-filled brain...  And have a ackshually WORKING non-brainwashed brain...

The PTB couldn't have come up with a  better SHEEPLE distraction [/span]if they had ENGINEERED IT THEMSELFS!!!!

oh wait....

People are already [span style='color: blue;']clamoring for what shit to buy & wut ammo will do the best job on Ebola infected Zoombies

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely zero.

---oh, wait...

...go to waste.

oh wait....

Real question is atacs or multicam tropical to hide from.zombies....

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:29:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

[span style='font-style: italic;']Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely zero.

---oh, wait...

...go to waste.

oh wait....

People are already clamoring for what shit to buy & wut ammo will do the best job on Ebola infected Zoombies, [308 obviously]  and hardly anyone has died in the US.

Multicam of course, damn you have to ask?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:36:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely zero.

---oh, wait...

...go to waste.

oh wait....

People are already clamoring for what shit to buy & wut ammo will do the best job on Ebola infected Zoombies, [308 obviously]  and hardly anyone has died in the US.

The only hope we have to avoid zombie detection is with the Vietnam tiger stripe pattern.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 4:38:07 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
The only hope we have to avoid zombie detection is with the [span style='font-weight: bold;']Vietnam tiger stripe pattern.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolutely zero.

---oh, wait...

...go to waste.

oh wait....

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

The only hope we have to avoid zombie detection is with the [span style='font-weight: bold;']Vietnam tiger stripe pattern.

man.....i never thought of that....

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:37:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If this is contained, it will be entirely due to luck and not any effort on the part of the so-called "authorities".
View Quote

No, it'll be because R0 for ebola is low, infected people aren't contagious prior to showing symptoms, and infected people either die or recover in a short period.  Ebola has "easy to contain in a 1st world country" written all over it.

The only thing that's surprising to me is how many in the SF are so eager to jump on this media-fuelled panic frenzy.  I used to be able to tell the difference between you guys and the CNN anchors.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:17:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

No, it'll be because R0 for ebola is low, infected people aren't contagious prior to showing symptoms, and infected people either die or recover in a short period.  Ebola has "easy to contain in a 1st world country" written all over it.

The only thing that's surprising to me is how many in the SF are so eager to jump on this media-fuelled panic frenzy.  I used to be able to tell the difference between you guys and the CNN anchors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If this is contained, it will be entirely due to luck and not any effort on the part of the so-called "authorities".

So in your professional opinion, the authorities have done an excellent job thus far? Not a single misstep, no "Oops, maybe we shouldn't have sent him home given his symptoms and travel history"? Every aspect of the response has been reasonable, proper, and timely, including the decision to not decon/secure the apartment with people still living in it for days after Ebola was confirmed? Multiple people entering and leaving the untreated apartment with absolutely no PPE or precautions? The HazMat team that finally showed up on Friday was fully geared up, why not everyone else who visited throughout the week? The errors up to this point haven't been petty little nothings, they have been pretty significant screw-ups, easily falling into the "gross mismanagement" category and pretending that all the bugs are now worked out of the system is delusional at best, willfully negligent at worst.

This whole escapade is an object lesson in the difference between pretending to be prepared and actually being prepared. Normalcy bias and hubris combined into one bigtop circus of incompetence. Too many people rely on the "first world country" defense like it's some sort of magical barrier against unpleasant things that only happen "elsewhere". While "first world" may still apply to the the gated subdivision and BMW demographic, an ever-increasing percentage of this country is starting to lose its first world luster and many of the people in those areas are indistinguishable from the so-called third world in culture, education, and attitude. Does being in America make it less likely? Of course. But not impossible, and the more compounded errors you have the greater the chance that something slips.

As far as panicking, I have yet to see a single person here (SF) in a panicked "frenzy". If you honestly can't tell the difference between rational people (for the most part) pointing out the obvious mismanagement of the response thus far and CNN anchors trolling for viewers then that's entirely on you. Hopefully you are correct and this will burn out and go nowhere.

I personally believe that the odds of this developing into a large-scale or national catastrophe are extremely small, essentially zero - hence my total lack of panic. I agree with you on one point at least - on paper, it should be easy to contain. That being said, pretending that it couldn't happen given the incompetence demonstrated so far is foolish in my opinion. How about we take the proper precautions and keep a watchful eye on the situation and the response, then hopefully we can take the "improbable" and shift it closer to the "impossible".

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:38:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nah, won't be any "blue flu" (or at least very little). Any previous times there have been incidents or ominous signs that something was going down, guys on my job have stepped up. Show up at work with the "two week bag" instead of just a change of clothes. In my case, the wife knows I won't come home if I think I've been exposed to something.

Today my dept (fire) sent out a memo for everyone to ensure that we're carrying our load out of isolation kits. I'm pretty confident in the protection they provide against KNOWN exposures.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:08:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Well, I am not in panic mode, but the .gov reaction (mostly local) to the situation is not inspiring confidence.

i.e. the clean-up and quarantine

and I'm sorry, this is just funny:

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:36:08 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

After how bad they dropped the ball on the first case, I can't believe people are still parroting that 1st world healthcare line. Do I expect it to spread to 1000s here? No but I do expect infected people to start arriving on a regular basis, spreading it to people they come into contact with. This will cause panic in the population. If I lived near a community of African immigrants from that area I'd be concerned

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:26:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

After how bad they dropped the ball on the first case, I can't believe people are still parroting that 1st world healthcare line. Do I expect it to spread to 1000s here? No but I do expect infected people to start arriving on a regular basis, spreading it to people they come into contact with. This will cause panic in the population. If I lived near a community of African immigrants from that area I'd be concerned

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because most people are completely DETACHED from Reality.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:57:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The only hope we have to avoid zombie detection is with the Vietnam tiger stripe pattern.

View Quote

+100 internets for you sir, for good taste and good sense!
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:45:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
- Not only does the Gov. refuse to stop all inbound flights from affected countries, they don't even have anybody screening arriving flights from said countries for sick passengers.

View Quote

What airlines fly from Guinea, Liberia or Sierra Leone? I know Delta flies to Lagos, but Nigeria is not considered a ebola country yet.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:53:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

My favorite part is idiots like the mayor of dallas  telling folks it is hard to catch while folks are running around in HAZMAT suits and treating everything like it is kryptonite. Shrinking Wrapping that car was priceless.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:47:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I personally believe that the odds of this developing into a large-scale or national catastrophe are extremely small, essentially zero - hence my total lack of panic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I personally believe that the odds of this developing into a large-scale or national catastrophe are extremely small, essentially zero - hence my total lack of panic.

Then what are we arguing about?

I have a hard time accepting that all these SF ebola threads are just hand-wringing for the sake of hand-wringing.  People here are worried.  We've got a nearly 500-reply thread stickied to the top of this forum dedicated to pandemic angst.

Quoted:
I agree with you on one point at least - on paper, it should be easy to contain. That being said, pretending that it couldn't happen given the incompetence demonstrated so far is foolish in my opinion. How about we take the proper precautions and keep a watchful eye on the situation and the response, then hopefully we can take the "improbable" and shift it closer to the "impossible".

You mean the incompetence that, thus far, has resulted in exactly zero deaths in the United States and zero new infections in the United States?  

The incompetent 1st world health care system that so far has been batting 1.000 when it comes to survival of a disease that has 50-90% mortality in Africa?  Those guys?

Yes, there were errors made when the Dallas patient first made contact with the health system.  Humans screw up.  (Though - I'm going to withhold judgment on who exactly screwed up based on the word of a family member of a guy who lied to Liberian authorities and is facing criminal charges there, and maybe here too.)  What's telling is that despite that human error, we still don't have more cases.  They made mistakes and this point of entry is contained anyway.  The high risk contacts are quarantined.

Wake me up when there's a case of smallpox in the wild.  Then we can all be angsty together.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top