Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2014 1:07:22 PM EDT
Really don't want to build something and insulate it but may have to. Don;'t want it freezing and cracking the plastic. What to do??

Last year we got some really cold temps. Some single digits for awhile. Don't want to risk it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:10:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:12:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

Was thinking about those. Many thanks for the link. I will strongly consider these. I think I would most likely hang one of these in each of two tanks approximately in the middle or center for even distribution. Still gonna cover them for protection but didn't want to spend big $ building and enclosing.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:35:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Really don't want to build something and insulate it but may have to. Don;'t want it freezing and cracking the plastic. What to do??

Last year we got some really cold temps. Some single digits for awhile. Don't want to risk it.
View Quote
Were i am at in rural AK people are getting their tanks spray foamed and putting heaters in the tank.

Heaters are the same design as sewer tank heaters.

Some have put little sheds to keep the sunlight off the foam.

Temps can get down to -40F and lower plus have the wind around here.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:53:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Insulating the tank is only half the issue.

Adding heat to make up for the inefficiency and heat loss thru the insulation ---is the other half.

Here's what we did almost four years ago in the mountains where it gets REAL cold, capitalizing on the energy from the sun to heat ~120 gallons of water.

So far the tank has never frozen and we have it instrumented with Dallas temperature sensors and a Control by Web internet module so we can monitor the temp inside the enclosure and the actual water temperature, from anywhere.

Typically the tank will drop to about 36F after the coldest part of the winter, and will go back to the 40's after a few days of good sun, then repeat.

Snow on the glass has not been a problem, but bears crawling on the solar box has been.  

Link to solar box construction

Bear activity around the solar box

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:40:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:58:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Why does the bear like the solar box? Is it just the heat?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Why does the bear like the solar box? Is it just the heat?

That was in the summer...  July [08?] A baby bear... There was a rock holding the insulation on the top glass and the bear in the pic pulled it off and I think it fell on his foot.

The mamma of the two that year repeatedly took them to our place and I think was showing them stuff that wasn't common in nature.

They may have been attracted to the pink insulation [on in the summer to reduce heat collected by the box], because they liked to bite a corner and leave paw impressions in it.

They tore up my neighbor's ATV and skimobile seats and upholstery abt 3/4 mile away.

This year, it's been entirely different, we haven't filmed any cubs with their mom, but bigger ones. It will be interesting what next year brings.

One bear cracked the glass in the top of the solar box, it's interesting how delicate their motor skills are, considering their strength. I have to replace it soon...

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:10:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:56:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have 2 in my uninsulated shed out back. No problems last winter with cracking though they did freeze up pretty good (not completely though) which would have made getting water out of them problematic without heating up the shed.

Those stock tank de-icers look like a good idea.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:36:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Anything at tractor supply is to low powered or too big to fit in the neck of an IBC.

Trust me, I tried last winter.

Joe
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:14:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:59:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Would spray painting the container black help with "milder" freezing temps?  I have a couple in the back yard that are in stock condition. They are just sitting on the ground. To prevent freezing, would it be better to have them slightly elevated off of the ground, or making contact with the ground?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:09:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Would spray painting the container black help with "milder" freezing temps?  I have a couple in the back yard that are in stock condition. They are just sitting on the ground. To prevent freezing, would it be better to have them slightly elevated off of the ground, or making contact with the ground?
View Quote

No, painting them black would cause them to lose heat faster.  (That's why radiators are black)

ETA: If you really wanted to insulate it without having to build anything, get some fiberglass or Styrofoam insulation, and hold it in place with stretch wrap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top