Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2014 6:16:27 AM EDT
A couple months ago I found out our church was doing a food co-op through Denver Wholesale Foods, I'm sure there are others also. I've made about three orders so far and think this is a great way to increase my stored food at a discount. The prices for most of what we've ordered have been below even Sam's or Costco. The drawbacks are you have to order in bulk and there are shipping costs but that cost is divided between the members. The way it works is we place an order once a month and pickup the 4th Thursday of the month. A truck drops the food on pallets at our church parking lot. They also have a dry goods co-op that I'm going to try next.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:24:57 AM EDT
[#1]
We've used food co-ops for a long while in many different forms.  We've joined a group ordering Bonneville Baskets.  My wife has also run a food co-op where she would go down to a restaurant supply and buy food in bulk, then divide it up and the members would come pick it up at our house.  We also would do a monthly group order from Emergency Essentials.  At EE, if you buy their item of the month, then shipping on your order is free.  

Food co-ops are a great way to get food cheaper than you can at the local stores.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:14:59 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

We've used food co-ops for a long while in many different forms.  We've joined a group ordering Bonneville Baskets.  My wife has also run a food co-op where she would go down to a restaurant supply and buy food in bulk, then divide it up and the members would come pick it up at our house.  We also would do a monthly group order from Emergency Essentials.  At EE, if you buy their item of the month, then shipping on your order is free.  

Food co-ops are a great way to get food cheaper than you can at the local stores.
View Quote

When I first heard about it I wasn't sure the prices would be any better than Sam's or Costco but so far we've saved money. I keep an excel sheet with food prices per unit so I have something to compare against. The other benefit for me was it made stocking up easy. Ordering in bulk is a drawback for some but was a benefit for me. Hopefully I'll have my 6 months worth for food goal accomplished this year.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top