Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2014 6:49:45 AM EDT
Guys,

I`m good to go at my home with supplies , preps etc. However, with limited space, I want some input as to what items I might need in case we get stranded overnight ( or more) while we are on the trails up to 40-50 miles into the wild. It is bear country and I`ll have ample weaponry as well as fishing gear. Our Boxerdog will be with us. We are 60/55 and are fairly experienced outdoors people. I just don`t want to miss an obvious oversight. I have all the parts for breakdowns that we might experience including spare starter, axle, tools etc. One thing that I am buying is a "personal locator device".

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 7:30:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know the terrain of Idaho trails, but being a Can-AM, I would take a spare belt as well and know how to change it.  The can-am stock clutching will burn up a belt in no time if you are in a bad bind.  I have a Polaris that has a little better reputation when it comes to belts/clutches, but I still carry a spare in my pack at all times, and I can change it out in under 20 minutes.

Also, bring a plug kit and small air compressor, FAK, duct tape, bailing wire, headlamp (for working on bike at night), spare fuses/relays, oil, recovery straps/winch, jumper cables, phone charger, and basic survival items (water, fire, food, etc.).  I mounted ammo cans to my bed that I keep all that stuff in as well as an overhead organizer.  I also keep a waterproof marine bag with pullovers and rain ponchos, gloves, goggles, watch caps, etc.  The weather seems to always change when riding.  You should get you a pelican box for your phone, gps, locator.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 11:04:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Not sure if you're a ham radio guy but I would want to carry a small HF rig with portable NIVIS capable antenna. Another for base camp if someone will be there. Cell phones sick in the wilderness.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:07:18 PM EDT
[#3]
A spare starter for a short trip within the continental US? Why? You are not going for a year long trip into Mongolia or South America.
More than likely you'll get a cell phone signal in most places. Rent a satellite phone to call a friend or for help if something serious happens.
I would opt to carry just simple tools, fuses, headlight bulbs, spark plug, tire/tube patch or repair tools, cheap multimeter and a small roll of 16 Ga MTH wire. I would use some leftover luggage space to carry extra gas.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:10:07 PM EDT
[#4]
On my wheeler, I also keep road flares, matches, fire starter, a flashlight with NIMH LSD batteries, jumper cables, & hand saw.  

I'm assuming you have a winch.  I don't leave the trailer w/o a winch.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:13:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Large tarp and some poles of some sort. tie one end/side to the ATV and the poles on the outboard side, then staked down with guy wires.

You have your boo boo box and food, guns.......fire starter, signal mirror, flashlights, chemlights, ribbon for marking a trail  path if you have to walk out, compass,  pen (sharpie) and paper for notes...the usual, so what else could you need?

Dog food? water filter, shovel, hammer?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 11:12:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I would say make sure you fix any know issues with the machine well in advance of the trip and test it, then test it again.  From there, plug kit, compressor,oil, common hand tools the machine uses, an extra set of spark plugs, belts (know common wear items).  I would say a good comprehensive first aid, personal survival kits for each person going, firearms, and communication gear (cell phone, locator devices, ham radio).  All this in addition to your normal camping gear.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 11:49:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys!!! This is what I needed. I have spare parts/tools covered. Food and water as well. We are not PLANNING on spending the night but will be a long ways from camp. I am researching personal locator devices as we speak. I had hoped to find a new combination GPS/PLD and so far have not found a dedicated unit for my needs. Delorme makes a pretty neat deal but you have to have maps of the area in your phone as the unit won`t let you download maps. Any suggestion?

We have a winch and I`ll be taking a Stihl MS 170/fuel with us in case we we locked on the trail by a fallen tree. I`m trying to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Hopefully this is all in vain but,,,,,
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 1:11:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, since you have a chainsaw, do you have a spare bar/chain in case you pinch it?
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:57:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, since you have a chainsaw, do you have a spare bar/chain in case you pinch it?
View Quote

Yes,,,,I`ll think about this one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top