Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2014 8:28:12 AM EDT
My sister is 18 years old and for the last few months she has been struggling with MRSA.

She has been on some heavy duty anti biotics to fight the infection. I am curious if anyone here has taken steps to fight against MRSA in your preps. Seems like something that everyone would be more susceptible to in a SHtF situation.

Once you have it, you'll always have to be super cautious of even the smallest cuts and scrapes
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:55:46 AM EDT
[#1]
My wife has gone 2 rounds with MRSA. Prepping for emergency supplies would be nearly impossible for her. She is allergic to Vancomyacin so the only antibiotic that can treat her is Zyvoxx. It is nearly impossible to get. last September there was a 3 day IV dose in Iowa City, IA, a 2 day dose in PDC, WI and the next nearest ones were Madison or Rochester.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:10:35 AM EDT
[#2]
unless  you have special connections or resources, there is no practical way to prep for MRSA infections.  Without modern medical help,  competent doctors and hospital care,  MRSA will be hard to over come.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:01:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Doxycycline and Bactrim  (SMZ-TMP sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim) are both oral antibiotics that are used to treat MRSA skin and soft tissue infections (not systemic MRSA). Download this MRSA guide

If you are getting recurrent MRSA infections you are probably colonized by the bacteria. There are ways to decolonize and should discuss this with your Doc. At a minimum you can try Hibiclens bath  http://mercyclinicsdesmoines.org/Quality/PatientEdu12.10/MRSADecolonPatientHandout010908.pdf http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/748722_3 http://www.deborah.org/4Patient/MRSA.html
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:09:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a nasty infection and have many scars from it.

chlorine baths will kill the stuff on your skin.

Hibiclens also kills it, but can't get around your eyes/nose/ears etc. Diluted chlorine bath can.

Inside the nose is an area that is hard to kill the bacteria. There is a nose cream that goes and q-tips and gets painted inside your nose. Kills the bacteria in a couple weeks.

I would think that spending an hour+ a day at a pool would kill it all. No way you will be keeping that chlorinated water out of your nostrils.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:12:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
unless  you have special connections or resources, there is no practical way to prep for MRSA infections.  Without modern medical help,  competent doctors and hospital care,  MRSA will be hard to over come.
View Quote

I'll second this.  My youngest son spent a month in the Children's ICU in Dallas with an aggressive MRSA infection and we still nearly lost him.   Symptoms came on like a 3-day flu-bug, but at day 3 he was not holding food or water.  His CRP/SED rate #'s were through the roof.  They told us we might lose him right there, that first day.   He was touch and go for two weeks despite throwing everything they had at him.  

He was playing mite hockey at the time... Our best guess is that he picked it up from the hockey-rink locker-rooms or perhaps the loaner goalie pads that had probably never been washed...

So I'm thinking the best way to combat this is by keeping you stuff clean.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:05:45 PM EDT
[#6]
This is your first, last, and best defense against MRSA. Proper hand hygiene is the most important, yet least considered, infection control measure. Prevention is where 99% of your battle is.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:17:06 AM EDT
[#7]
It will be a major problem when SHTF. I have had it from work, I am on so many antibiotics due to the dirty air , it is wiped out in my body. I have regualar testing of anything that looks like it, Prevention is the only way, I was anal when I got it and my family did not get it. Another guy here, his family got it
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:26:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

This is your first, last, and best defense against MRSA. Proper hand hygiene is the most important, yet least considered, infection control measure. Prevention is where 99% of your battle is.

http://i.imgur.com/0TbcTgb.jpg
View Quote
FTW

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:27:18 AM EDT
[#9]
You answered your own question in your post.  Those HD antibiotics aren't cheap and aren't sold in the pet store.  You say she has been battling it for months and I assume that is under an MD's care.  If you could get the antibiotics, how much can you afford and how much can you store and for how long?  Does it require refrigeration?  Also, IIRC, those are administered through a PICC line, which isn't installed at home.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:30:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/0TbcTgb.jpg
View Quote

Absolutely.  Prophylaxis is the best prep.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:44:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 10:24:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

this.

concentrate on sanitation and hygiene, that is about all you can really do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this.

concentrate on sanitation and hygiene, that is about all you can really do.

+1. I have a Nike duffle bag thats filled with sanitation and hygiene products...its better than nothing.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 10:30:53 AM EDT
[#13]

For MRSA skin and soft tissue infections in all of your pet fish.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:18:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Now without a culture to determine which antibiotics the staph is sensitive to how do you know which one? Just shotgun it and take everything or trial and error? Not all strains of MRSA are created equal.

If MRSA was so easily treated by fish oral antibiotics then no one would give a shit about it and you would have never heard about it.

That $30-$40 is better spent on hand sanitizer, water, soap, and gloves to be honest.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:27:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:28:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I had a 14 day, once a day antibiotic, $2,000
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:08:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Now without a culture to determine which antibiotics the staph is sensitive to how do you know which one? Just shotgun it and take everything or trial and error? Not all strains of MRSA are created equal.

If MRSA was so easily treated by fish oral antibiotics then no one would give a shit about it and you would have never heard about it.

That $30-$40 is better spent on hand sanitizer, water, soap, and gloves to be honest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Streptococci (Group A ) and S. aureus cause the majority of skin infections (Cellulitis, Carbuncles & Furuncles). With MRSA accounting for 50% or more of S. aureus infections (location dependent check your local antibiogram) you probably have a > 25% chance that any skin infection involves MRSA.
That does not automatically translate into using ABx for treatment.

From the ISDA guidline for MRSA in my first post:

I. What is the management of skin and soft-tissue infections
(SSTIs) in the era of community-associated MRSA (CA-MRSA)?
SSTIs

1. For a cutaneous abscess, incision and drainage is the
primary treatment (A-II). For simple abscesses or boils,
incision and drainage alone is likely to be adequate, but
additional data are needed to further define the role of
antibiotics, if any, in this setting.

2. Antibiotic therapy is recommended for abscesses
associated with the following conditions: severe or extensive
disease (eg, involving multiple sites of infection) or rapid
progression in presence of associated cellulitis, signs and
symptoms of systemic illness, associated comorbidities or
immunosuppression, extremes of age, abscess in an area
difficult to drain (eg, face, hand, and genitalia), associated
septic phlebitis, and lack of response to incision and drainage
alone (A-III).
3. For outpatients with purulent cellulitis (eg, cellulitis
associated with purulent drainage or exudate in the absence of
a drainable abscess), empirical therapy for CA-MRSA is
recommended pending culture results.
Empirical therapy for
infection due to b-hemolytic streptococci is likely to be
unnecessary (A-II). Five to 10 days of therapy is recommended
but should be individualized on the basis of the
patient’s clinical response.
4. For outpatients with nonpurulent cellulitis (eg, cellulitis
with no purulent drainage or exudate and no associated
abscess), empirical therapy for infection due to b-hemolytic
streptococci is recommended (A-II). The role of CA-MRSA is
unknown. Empirical coverage for CA-MRSA is recommended
in patients who do not respond to b-lactam therapy and may be
considered in those with systemic toxicity. Five to 10 days of
therapy is recommended but should be individualized on the
basis of the patient’s clinical response.
5. For empirical coverage of CA-MRSA in outpatients with
SSTI, oral antibiotic options include the following: clindamycin
(A-II), trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TMP-SMX) (A-II),
a tetracycline (doxycycline or minocycline) (A-II),
and linezolid
(A-II). If coverage for both b-hemolytic streptococci and
CA-MRSA is desired, options include the following:
clindamycin alone (A-II) or TMP-SMX or a tetracycline in
combination with a b-lactam (eg, amoxicillin) (A-II) or linezolid
alone (A-II).
6. The use of rifampin as a single agent or as adjunctive
therapy for the treatment of SSTI is not recommended (A-III).
7. For hospitalized patients with complicated SSTI (cSSTI;
defined as patients with deeper soft-tissue infections, surgical/
traumatic wound infection, major abscesses, cellulitis, and
infected ulcers and burns), in addition to surgical debridement
and broad-spectrum antibiotics, empirical therapy for
MRSA should be considered pending culture data. Options
include the following: intravenous (IV) vancomycin (A-I), oral
(PO) or IV linezolid 600 mg twice daily (A-I), daptomycin
4 mg/kg/dose IV once daily (A-I), telavancin 10 mg/kg/dose IV
once daily (A-I), and clindamycin 600 mg IV or PO 3 times
a day (A-III). A b-lactam antibiotic (eg, cefazolin) may be
considered in hospitalized patients with nonpurulent cellulitis
with modification to MRSA-active therapy if there is no clinical
response (A-II). Seven to 14 days of therapy is recommended
but should be individualized on the basis of the patient’s
clinical response.
8. Cultures from abscesses and other purulent SSTIs are
recommended in patients treated with antibiotic therapy,
patients with severe local infection or signs of systemic illness,
patients who have not responded adequately to initial treatment,
and if there is concern for a cluster or outbreak (A-III).

Since we are discussing SHTF medicine you will not have the luxury of lab cultures to guide you (goes for both MDs and end of the world warriors) so you are stuck with empirical therapy. Clindamycin, TMP-SMX & doxycycline are the recommended oral empirical therapy for SSTI.

All of this assumes your preventative measures failed, you have a SSTI and there is no professional medical help available.
If you are unlucky enough to have an MRSA infection become systemic (or endocarditis or CAP) you are most likely SOL without a functional clinic/hospital.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:15:49 PM EDT
[#18]
For the record, I have had multiple bouts of SSTI on my legs including a 3 day hospital stay.

Two years ago I found me a new shower buddy:

I have not had so much as a pimple on my legs since. Once a week Hibiclens showers worked for me, and I do keep a gallon bottle in my bathroom.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:21:49 PM EDT
[#19]
For those of you who have had it multipule times, where do you get it?

I got mine from having a huge open rash on my chest and getting treated for it at the base hospital........
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:50:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Think you have a lot of gauze stocked up?

One good mrsa healing experience can wipe out a heck of a pile of gauze preps.

I have been meaning to get some of the hibiclense.

Handcleaner/sanitizer is something else I need to read up on.  I am still using the alcohol based stuff but I don't use it constantly.  Generally use it before eating at work and yeah I wash up at work before eating but I still like the hand sanitizer.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:21:27 PM EDT
[#21]
I have had mrsa once. Bactrim works on most strains. I keep bactrim in my preps along with cipro and z packs.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:34:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This.   Prevention is the best medicine.  You could TRY shotgunning handfuls of random antibiotics but resistant bacterial infections can be a royal bitch to treat.  I just had a patient with a dental infection that clindamycin wouldn't touch.  Went empirically with augmentin and flagyl and got lucky.  Next stop was the ER.

Quoted:
For the record, I have had multiple bouts of SSTI on my legs including a 3 day hospital stay.

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.608037575319749235&pid=1.7

I have not had so much as a pimple on my legs since. Once a week Hibiclens showers worked for me, and I do keep a gallon bottle in my bathroom.

Hibiclens $59.99

Udder Wash $26.41
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:59:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Anybody know the shelf life of Hibiclens?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:21:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:22:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:40:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This.   Prevention is the best medicine.  You could TRY shotgunning handfuls of random antibiotics but resistant bacterial infections can be a royal bitch to treat.  I just had a patient with a dental infection that clindamycin wouldn't touch.  Went empirically with augmentin and flagyl and got lucky.  Next stop was the ER.

Hibiclens $59.99

Udder Wash $26.41
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hibiclens $59.99

Udder Wash $26.41

That's udderly amazing! LOL. $14.00 at TrueValue
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:15:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hibiclens $59.99

Udder Wash $26.41

Great find!   Hibiclens brand can jump in a lake.  

I use a fair amount of that stuff for washing my poor cocker spaniel.  He gets all kinds of yeast infections and chlorhexidine works for that, too.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:02:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Maybe this is a stupid question, but by using hibiclens for folks who have never had MRSA infections (nor any family members), could it possibly upset the body's current state of balance and make you actually prone to it?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:38:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Maybe this is a stupid question, but by using hibiclens for folks who have never had MRSA infections (nor any family members), could it possibly upset the body's current state of balance and make you actually prone to it?
View Quote

Good question.
Our bodies are colonized by a virtual UN of microbes including our gut, skin and lungs. The importance of bacteria in our GI system is well accepted and partially understood, the importance in other organs is poorly understood.

I will go by the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' meme. Wash your hands with the disinfectant of choice, don't take hibiclens baths unless there is a definable reason to do so.

Fun fact of the day, your nose is often colonized by Staphylococcus including the dreaded MRSA. If you pick now and scratch an itch an hour later you can and will transfer those bacteria to the skin.

The proper technique is: pick, wash the booger hook then scratch.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:41:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:15:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes.   Most people do not need this stuff.  I only keep it for the dog.   Your body is healthy when it has the right balance of bugs.   As a dentist, when I tell people to brush and floss it's about farming up a crop of the healthy bugs in your mouth.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:54:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Good question.
Our bodies are colonized by a virtual UN of microbes including our gut, skin and lungs. The importance of bacteria in our GI system is well accepted and partially understood, the importance in other organs is poorly understood.

I will go by the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' meme. Wash your hands with the disinfectant of choice, don't take hibiclens baths unless there is a definable reason to do so.

Fun fact of the day, your nose is often colonized by Staphylococcus including the dreaded MRSA. If you pick now and scratch an itch an hour later you can and will transfer those bacteria to the skin.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good question.

Thanks for the useful info Rich!

I scratch a lot and rarely wash my booger hook, unless I get grease of something on it.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:22:12 PM EDT
[#33]
good thread w/ useful links to guidelines by Rich V, & thanks to those who put up the links the generic chlorhexidine as well.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:49:43 PM EDT
[#34]
can anyone say how well silver solutions (nano silver, ionic silver, colloidal silver) work on mrsa infections? anyone ever tried it? its killed every infection on my skin i have ever had.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:45:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:05:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Isn't This (click me) the same stuff as Hibiclens but cheaper
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 7:29:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
can anyone say how well silver solutions (nano silver, ionic silver, colloidal silver) work on mrsa infections? anyone ever tried it? its killed every infection on my skin i have ever had.
View Quote

We use it for some types of wounds including MRSA infected wounds in my hospital. Doesn't work for all infections however in all wounds.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 7:30:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chlorahexedine gluconate is the active ingredient, so yes,
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:23:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It looks like the linked product is 2%, Hibiclens is 4%.  Whether or not that is clinically significant...who knows?
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:27:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:58:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Dang.

The antibiotic my dad needed was called the nuclear option.

It resulted in a complete tear of his Achilles tendon, and him living

TXL
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:42:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I had a nasty infection and have many scars from it.

chlorine baths will kill the stuff on your skin.

Hibiclens also kills it, but can't get around your eyes/nose/ears etc. Diluted chlorine bath can.

Inside the nose is an area that is hard to kill the bacteria. There is a nose cream that goes and q-tips and gets painted inside your nose. Kills the bacteria in a couple weeks.

I would think that spending an hour+ a day at a pool would kill it all. No way you will be keeping that chlorinated water out of your nostrils.
View Quote

Bactroban on my second round with MRSA did the trick along with the 3 weeks of Hibiclens and the Bactrim. Without treating the nose you will more than likely have it again. If she got the community based MRSA and has dogs they are possibly where it came from, especially if they sleep in bed with her.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:49:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

It could, it will wipe out all the good bacteria on your skin along with the bad ones.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 8:59:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:01:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Doe as anyone know if this (Click Me) website is legit? They have the bactrim and other goodies as well. Anyone ever use them?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top