Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2014 9:13:48 AM EDT
I need a small kero heater, since it seems that Toyo has the best quality I guess I would need their smallest tower heater.
Any of you guys and gals use or know which model is the smallest? recommendations?

Thanks for any  help,
rustee
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:52:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Without looking it up, I believe it was the Omni 15.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:17:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:19:06 AM EDT
[#3]
For ~9000 BTU heaters, the following are very nice and the best quality. Wicks and parts are available.  They all have electrical ignition  ---very convenient.

Since our need is to heat small spaces, we've standardized ---for backup mostly--- on the [Toyo] Kerosun Omni 15.......

and the Kerosun Radiant 10, heaters...

Tower vs radiant have their own advantages.

Note the Kerosun Moonlighter [tower] is mostly the same [interchangeable parts] as the Omni 15. It uses a glass 'chimney' -that can break, and it's more attractive. It also commands a higher price.

Here's a video of a Kerosun Radiant 10...

Radiant 10

And a video of a Kerosun Omni 15 [and the similar Moonlighter]

Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages.

Ebay is the place to find nice ones at great prices...

But doing so now might be like closing the barn door after the horse has run away.  

Over the past few years [since 2007] I was buying several each of the 3 heaters described above for average price of IIRC $60 plus around $30 to ship for very nice units, on ebay... Some deals were much less and some heaters were new in the box.

I checked prices earlier this year and they hadn't gone up appreciably.

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:30:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Aladdin has a arguably equal or better small heaters [8000 BTU range] to the Kero Suns, we bought a couple and like them as well.

If anyone is interested, I'll advise.

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:36:54 AM EDT
[#5]
the 110 series radiant heaters like my Sengoku Heat Mate  HMN 110 are in the 10,000btu range.... removable fuel tank and fits up against the wall... top remains relatively cool

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:40:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Then there are the approx 7000 BTU Kero Sun Cookers...  

KERO SUN COOKER

Wonderful machines...

Often on ebay for ~$120, last one I bought was in the box new for $80.

Just looked at ebay, there are a couple nice heaters at excellent prices, I'm tempted myself, but don't need another...

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 11:30:43 AM EDT
[#7]
looks like they have a DC90 and DC100 any experience with either?
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 11:43:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Good heaters from what I've heard, but now rare and expensive.

I think EXPY has some experience with them.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 12:03:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Not what you asked for, but I use one or two Kirkman No. 2 Champion Lanterns when I want a small heater.  

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 12:24:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:07:40 PM EDT
[#11]
DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE!

http://www.mrheater.com/product.aspx?catid=47&id=36

I would call them a flaming ball of shit, but they actually won't fire.

These are Enerco (several brand names - Mr Heater is one) and we also have several DESA (again several brand names - Master is one) and while the DESA have never been particularly reliable, these fucking Enerco take the cake.

We bought 3 of these Mr Heater 175000 BTU units 3 years ago. They've all had the hoses rot out inside of them, with various small problems, bad pumps, bad ignitors, etc. They all get cycled through and repaired (I think we have about a dozen kero heaters all similar to this). We finally have gotten down to what's broken now?

ALL THREE OF THESE MR HEATER'S! And they are the newest ones.

All Chinese parts inside, it's either the flame sensor or the circuit board. I'd kill for a Taiwanese made part. I'm betting money that the cheap white chinese circuit boards are fucked. The flame sensors look good on an ohm meter, but I don't know for sure.

We did get one to crank up and run for more than 5 seconds without throwing an error code, but either the pump or nozzle is bad, because it burps and spits kero and doesn't smell right.

Just dropped a $130 for replacement parts trying to get them back into service, but damn, the Ford Pinto was more reliable than this.

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:10:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No I don't, too pricy for my blood...

Like you say they command serious prices...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top