Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2014 4:29:09 PM EDT
The local community college has a class titled Emergency Response Training and ran by the local CERT.  Have any of you taken this or any CERT courses?  What did you think of it?  Worthwhile?
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:38:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Some are, some aren't. See if you can get a copy of the syllabus and see if they will be teaching topics that interest you.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:51:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Good advice, I'll shoot them an email tonight.  Here is the course description:

"The Community Emergency Response Team (CErT) in cooperation with the Department of Homeland Security provides the basic training to help our citizens take care of themselves and then help others in their communities for the first three days following a disaster. This course consists of 22 hours of training in such areas as disaster preparedness, fire suppression, medical triage operations, search and rescue, disaster psychology, and terrorism. The course is designed to be of value to private citizens, businesses, churches, and schools that want the skills and knowledge required to prepare and respond to a disaster. After receiving this training, you will have a greater understanding of what you need to do to prepare yourself and your family for situations such as Hurricane Katrina or 9/11."

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:59:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I've heard of them and always meant to do it, but never have the time.  In addition to being genuinely interested in helping people, I always figured it might give you a little latitude in the event of a disaster.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 5:33:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've heard of them and always meant to do it, but never have the time.  In addition to being genuinely interested in helping people, I always figured it might give you a little latitude in the event of a disaster.  
View Quote

CERT gets a bad rap from towns that don't have an OEM director that believes in the program.

Our current OEM director is much better than the last one, our 2 fire districts provide excellent training.

Our previous CERT coordinator spent more time following the FEMA crews around in other towns than setting up the training sessions.

As OEM deputy director, I run our emergency shelter/ warming and charging station.

The CERT members help out as needed, calling seniors to check in, helping with prepared meals, keeping lines organized for inoculations, and directing traffic in parking areas.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 5:41:18 PM EDT
[#5]
IF you have a GHB or BOB, you'll have little use for the items in a CERT bag.

I painted a rock climbing helmet green, the silly hard hat you are required to wear for training kept falling off during drills.
Folks with hair may have a different result.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top