Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2013 5:16:58 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:48:22 PM EDT
[#1]
In before postal inspectors destroy your shipments looking for blow.

If you've got a bag and a sealer, give it a try.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:51:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Place the edge over a firm flat surface like a 2x4 wood and run over smoothly with a regular clothes iron on low.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:54:17 PM EDT
[#3]
This is the best way I have tried to seal mylar.  

http://sorbentsystems.com/hotjaw.html

It is worth the money.  It has 5 lines of seals in it.  It takes several times to span a regular bag, but it works great.  They are pretty tough units also, I have bought 2 and they both still work after many years now.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:50:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I shelled out for one of these.  I've been very happy with it, though I will say that if you want multiple seal lines, you have to hit the bag once per line.  Hasn't bothered me in the least, though.  It's "industrial strength" and has held up very well for several years with no sign of wear.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:59:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Can you use a Rival type vacuum sealer to evacuate and seal 1 qt Mylar bags?
View Quote

Can't answer your question directly, but I do know that Mylar requires quite a bit more heat to seal than poly.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:26:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:54:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Vacuum bags are engineered to preform a certain way in a sealer.  Mylar isn't designed to pull a vacuum on in a standard vacuum sealer.  Mylar is smooth on the inside while the Vacuum sealer bags have channels built in to allow air evacuation before sealing. I have seen videos on using a short piece of plastic drinking straw in the immediate area transverse of the seal for Mylar and it works ok.

I'd just manually press out all of the air that I could easily evacuate by hand and use an oxygen absorber before sealing with a clothes Iron.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:01:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It is worth the money.  It has 5 lines of seals in it.  It takes several times to span a regular bag, but it works great.  They are pretty tough units also, I have bought 2 and they both still work after many years now.

View Quote

If your wife has one, a hair straightener works beautifully well.  They are cheap in most stores too.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:18:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In before postal inspectors destroy your shipments looking for blow.

If you've got a bag and a sealer, give it a try.
View Quote

This is what I do.  Works well with desiccant packs.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:40:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Place the edge over a firm flat surface like a 2x4 wood and run over smoothly with a regular clothes iron on low.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:21:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Some bag sealers might be able to seal the mylar, as mentioned it won't vacumn out the bag much.

For a known good seal the clothes iron and scrap 2x4 works quickly and easily.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:34:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Which one on that page do you use ? Also which bags do you use....? want to get started  but not sure whats best.....Sorry TJ for mini Hi-Jack of thread
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:39:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:51:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I shelled out for one of these.  I've been very happy with it, though I will say that if you want multiple seal lines, you have to hit the bag once per line.  Hasn't bothered me in the least, though.  It's "industrial strength" and has held up very well for several years with no sign of wear.
View Quote
I use one of these too. Works great. After I seal, I cut off a bit of a corner and use a vacuum sealer hose attachment to suck out the air and re seal that corner. Nice bricks every time.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:21:47 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
If your wife has one, a hair straightener works beautifully well.  They are cheap in most stores too.

FerFAL
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

FerFAL

Or a 2x4 and a clothes iron.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top