Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2013 4:37:51 AM EDT
This, specifically: Wise food package

I'm looking for something to buy once, cry once and be prepared for an intermediate length of time for my family.

Any major drawbacks to this stuff or is it GTG?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:17:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe Wise will give you samples.  A friend tried some and she said the food was terrible.  But, that is just one data point and I have no personal experience.  I tend to get stuff from Emergency Essentials and I have been pleased with  most of their stuff.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:23:07 AM EDT
[#2]
First off: I'll let it be known that I have not tried a Wise Food dish that I liked.  They just don't taste good to me.  That said, the fine print is that if you look at the various meals listed in that package, a "serving" averages around 250 calories.  That means that as they have apportioned, each person gets fewer than 1000 calories per day.  I don't feel that supply would be adequate for more than one person for the six months listed.

On the other hand: This package contains a significant amount of Mountain House (which tastes like food), and is listed at 2000 calories per day for a year.  That would make 2000 calories per day for 2 people for the same six months for a lot less money that the package listed in the OP.

One year 2000 calorie/day package

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:38:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I've tried the wise food stuff and like it....some of the stuff is so-so but if hungry I wouldn't be complaining.  I keep a good amount of it stored but there's just three of us.  

I also keep a lot of mountain house packs since I we hike and backcountry quite a bit so that would help offset the Wise foods if things went south.  

For starters our immediate plan is our canned food stores and MRE's....then delve into the Wise Foods and our 5 gallon mylar buckets to supplement.  

Northern tools was having a good sale on Wise Food storage buckets....plus a $20.00 off $100.00 purchase code of 174441.  I shipped to store for free as well if you have one local to you.  

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_emergency-food
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:40:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Wise is very high in sodium, and uses TVP, not real meat.  I won't use the stuff.  Oh, and it tastes bad too.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:58:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

DAYUUUUUUUM!

That's expensive.

I guess it isn't too bad... but it hurts to spend that much in one sitting on food.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:39:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Just my humble opinion, but the Wise brand foods I have tried were not very good.  I have about 200 #10 cans of Mountain House and love everything I have eaten from them.  Texture sometimes leave a little to be desired but I could eat MH for a while just because of the flavor.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:54:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I tried to get the samples once, & IIRC - all I got was annoyed by a "rep" who wanted me to buy....don't think I ever did see the samples..

That said, I've obviously never tried any, but have read many negative reviews..

Unless you need to order immediately, take a couple of weeks, & get some small pouches or pkgs of different kinds to try.   See which one you like, & learn how to
prepare it at the same time.. some are pretty good & simple to fix, just add hot water & wait 8-10 min..    Others you need to boil water, mix/stir, wait 8-10 min, then add
something else to wait again..  try some different ones out.  think about how much you want to put in preparation..

try Mountain House, Augason Farms,  Provident Pantry (Emergence Essentials), etc... there are many other options out there.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:22:12 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Just my humble opinion, but the Wise brand foods I have tried were not very good.  I have about 200 #10 cans of Mountain House and love everything I have eaten from them.  Texture sometimes leave a little to be desired but I could eat MH for a while just because of the flavor.
View Quote
I am another one who has tried Wise and didn't like it.   MH blows it out of the water.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:06:13 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I believe Wise will give you samples.  A friend tried some and she said the food was terrible.  But, that is just one data point and I have no personal experience.  I tend to get stuff from Emergency Essentials and I have been pleased with  most of their stuff.
View Quote
this

I got the free sample, then was badgered to death by marking to get me on a food plan.

food wise is more of a take advantage of the hype/zombie bullshit than actually providing a good product

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:46:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Wise Foods vs Mountain House Smack Down Read more at http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=245561#P60wkBeqj2bEd6sX.99

Average oxygen levels in Wise Company products were 18.25%, nearly the 21% level found in the atmosphere and 110 times higher than the average 0.16% oxygen found in Mountain House products. The most alarming part is that Wise Company products were manufactured in April of 2012 and already exhibit near-atmospheric levels of oxygen, which would not provide a 25-year shelf life.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:47:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Double tap
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:51:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Starting to see a pattern here regarding Wise...message received.

Is there a pre packaged Mountain House or equivalent 6 month supply for a family of 4/5 available?

How long does Mountain House last/shelf life?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:58:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

DAYUUUUUUUM!

That's expensive.

I guess it isn't too bad... but it hurts to spend that much in one sitting on food.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

DAYUUUUUUUM!

That's expensive.

And yet it is about 30% less than the package in the OP...  It's not how I would do things, but he asked about a package deal.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:12:17 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

this

I got the free sample, then was badgered to death by marking to get me on a food plan.

food wise is more of a take advantage of the hype/zombie bullshit than actually providing a good product

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

this

Yep same here. After reading the threads here the sample is still sitting on the shelf to use as a last resort. Save your money, buy MH or get into mylar packing or canning.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:51:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Mountain House #10 cans have a 30yr shelf life.

http://www.thereadystore.com/mountain-house-6-month-lunch-dinner-entrees

But no matter what, count the calories and make sure you get enough! Never count servings.

And I hate packages, they always have fluff.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:24:18 AM EDT
[#17]
I got their free sample over a year ago (I believe.) I got hassled by them until I actually bought something.

To me, the taste is very lacking. If I had a choice between wise and going hungry, I would eat it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:47:23 AM EDT
[#18]
I would think that in combination with some canned food or even some #10 cans, if I wanted to have someone else do the work for me, I would go with this:

beans, grains, legumes

It isn't sexy like the wise food pails, but it is real food with actual nutritional value and you could put away enough to cover the whole family for six months for less than $1K.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:29:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Taste like shit.  Almost a Ponzi sheme like vibe.  Run far away from Wise foods.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top