Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/8/2013 2:59:33 PM EDT
My son who is now 18 months old is what I will call a true stud.

A little background. It started September 2012 with a single ear infection. Only symptom was a little fever but apparently his ears were on the verge of rupturing. He went from September to the next May with ear infections every six weeks which resulted in alot of frustration for me and the wife. Unknown to us, two back to back infections qualified us for tubes but the doctor kept telling us it's from a unresolved cold. When May rolled around and the weather got hot, he was a completely different kid and was happy as can be.

Fast forward to October of this year and it starts all over again. This time we go to another doctor and get a second opinion. We start with allergies and give pretty strong prescription antihistamines. That didn't work for long and we have been to the doctor 5 times for high temp which is a result of ear infections. Since it has to be two different ear infections, we had to beat the first one but never really did. As a result of not being able to cure the infection, we were referred to an ENT and we are scheduled for tubes this Friday.

Apparently this procedure is 15 minutes and very routine. I think we take for granted something so easy now but when it's not available, just think if it were your kid with constant infections and fever for 6 months out of the year.

I for one am scared to death to hand over my son and have no way to defend him.

I think you can stock up on all the antibiotics you want but if you step back and truly think about it, it's nature's way of weeding out the weak. This procedure is the only way to fix what he has as about a dozen rounds of medication has not fixed him. He has spent the last 3 months hearing things like he has ear plugs in, the sheer pain of ear drums about to rupture, and can play like nothing is wrong with a 101 fever.

I feel helpless as a father right now.....
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 3:11:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

A little background. It started September 2012 with a single ear infection. Only symptom was a little fever but apparently his ears were on the verge of rupturing. He went from September to the next May with ear infections every six weeks which resulted in alot of frustration for me and the wife. Unknown to us, two back to back infections qualified us for tubes but the doctor kept telling us it's from a unresolved cold. When May rolled around and the weather got hot, he was a completely different kid and was happy as can be.

Fast forward to October of this year and it starts all over again. This time we go to another doctor and get a second opinion. We start with allergies and give pretty strong prescription antihistamines. That didn't work for long and we have been to the doctor 5 times for high temp which is a result of ear infections. Since it has to be two different ear infections, we had to beat the first one but never really did. As a result of not being able to cure the infection, we were referred to an ENT and we are scheduled for tubes this Friday.

Apparently this procedure is 15 minutes and very routine. I think we take for granted something so easy now but when it's not available, just think if it were your kid with constant infections and fever for 6 months out of the year.

I think you can stock up on all the antibiotics you want but if you step back and truly think about it, it's nature's way of weeding out the weak. This procedure is the only way to fix what he has as about a dozen rounds of medication has not fixed him. He has spent the last 3 months hearing things like he has ear plugs in, the sheer pain of ear drums about to rupture, and can play like nothing is wrong with a 101 fever.

View Quote

I actually had the same issue as your son....constant ear infections for the first two years.  Finally got tubes and things got better...just had to wear plugs for swimming and a bonnet for baths/showers.  

Freakiest thing that happens and I'll always remember it...after a long time of having them in, I was in my kindergarten classroom and the teacher answered the phone.  It was my parents saying the ENT's office had just called them and told them my tubes would be falling out soon.  5 min. later they were on the desk in front of me.  FREAKY!!!

I feel ya on the helpless thing.  We can stock all the water, bullets, and solar panels we want....good luck with a serious medical issue that you need specialized equipment/supplies for!  It'll be ok.  It's a fairly basic/routine procedure.  

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 3:33:37 PM EDT
[#2]
That would be freaky for that to happen.

I have been reading horror stories of kids needing three, four, five sets of tubes. I am not sure how much they cost but I am betting no less than $3k per set.

Like I said, could anyone other than a doctor that specializes in this fix the problem in a SHTF event? You have two options in this case. Either your body will fix it(which in the case of my son it wont) or die. I think what will get you is the unable to control the fever if you ever ran out of meds.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 3:38:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That would be freaky for that to happen.

I have been reading horror stories of kids needing three, four, five sets of tubes. I am not sure how much they cost but I am betting no less than $3k per set.

Like I said, could anyone other than a doctor that specializes in this fix the problem in a SHTF event? You have two options in this case. Either your body will fix it(which in the case of my son it wont) or die. I think what will get you is the unable to control the fever if you ever ran out of meds.
View Quote

I'm honestly not sure about how you'd fix the issue without the ENT.  Not to minimize the years of medical training and experience they have, but I think it's a small incision in the tympanic membrane and then the tube looks like a really tiny spool that has a hole in the middle and it's squeezed into the hole to prevent fluid from building up.  Instead, it allows the drum to drain.  That's why you have to be super careful with swimming and bathing because you've opened something that is typically sealed.

I can't comment on multiple sets.  I had a single set and then outgrew the issue for the most part.  

With cost, again, I can't comment.  Most places will work with you for payments and such.  

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 3:46:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 3:55:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Don't sweat the tubes... it's a very safe procedure.
View Quote

I couldn't imagine how my parents felt when I went in for my knee surgeries while I was in high school. 6 hours under the knife each time.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 4:23:36 PM EDT
[#6]
My son had tubes installed about a year ago.   They have cured the problems such as the ones you mentioned.  I think the germs have become much more resilient over the years, affecting young people with growing immune systems.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 9:07:43 PM EDT
[#7]
It's understandable to freak out about your kid having surgery.  It's your kid.  I tell people, "The only minor surgery is one that someone else has."  That said, the procedure really does take about 15 minutes.  The anesthesiologist will have your little guy breathe a combination of oxygen, laughing gas, and anesthetic gas to go to sleep.  Many will scent the mask with something like cherry, bubble gum, root beer, etc to cover up the scent of the gas a bit.  The ENT cleans out the ear canal as necessary, makes a tiny incision in the drum, and puts the tube in.  Repeat on opposite side.  Kid goes to recovery room and wakes up.  No need for an IV.  Sometimes they will put a drop or two of pain medicine in the kid's nostrils, and maybe a Tylenol suppository.  He may be a bit cranky the rest of the day, but things should go well, and it should make a huge difference with the infections.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 1:47:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Highest risk is the anesthesia.  I had three sets, plus two more surgeries on my right, and I turned out fine. Over 100 ear infections before age 10, even with the tubes.  As he gets older he will just tell you when one is starting.  Dont skip pain control, I loved codeinemthe few times I got it.

But the procedure is super easy -put in the ear trumpet, slide a small knife down it, nick the membrane, drop a tube down and nudge it into place.  Flip kid, repeat.  Docs will do a dozen kids before noon and pay their mortgage for that month!
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 3:05:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This. Highest risk is the anesthesia.  I had three sets, plus two more surgeries on my right, and I turned out fine. Over 100 ear infections before age 10, even with the tubes.  As he gets older he will just tell you when one is starting.  Dont skip pain control, I loved codeinemthe few times I got it.

But the procedure is super easy -put in the ear trumpet, slide a small knife down it, nick the membrane, drop a tube down and nudge it into place.  Flip kid, repeat.  Docs will do a dozen kids before noon and pay their mortgage for that month!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your right. We are scheduled in order by age because of feeding and eating schedules. Youngsters how have to eat every 2-4 hours goes first and so on. The nurse said it's not uncommon to do 30 procedures in one day ranging from newborns to adults.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:14:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, got the call from the hospital this morning. $4,000is what we owe. At first they wanted it all up front and when we asked about payments, she said, "well why would you not want to pay in full and instead opt for payments?"

Well you fucking cunt rag, not everyone has $4k laying around just to spend.
I of course as a prepared individual who saves and is frugal with his money, have this but I will opt for payments instead of dropping that kind of dough in one drop. The arrogance is what really chaps my ass.

It's feels good to be prepared for such an event. I owe this community a great deal of respect as yall have taught me alot over the past few years.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:29:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Well, got the call from the hospital this morning. $4,000is what we owe. At first they wanted it all up front and when we asked about payments, she said, "well why would you not want to pay in full and instead opt for payments?"

Well you fucking cunt rag, not everyone has $4k laying around just to spend.
I of course as a prepared individual who saves and is frugal with his money, have this but I will opt for payments instead of dropping that kind of dough in one drop. The arrogance is what really chaps my ass.

It's feels good to be prepared for such an event. I owe this community a great deal of respect as yall have taught me alot over the past few years.
View Quote

$4k is what you owe after insurance?  That seems really high to me.

If you don't have insurance then haggle with them a bit, you may be able to get the price reduced.  Tell them you will pay up front if the cost is $2k, can't hurt to ask if you have the $2k.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:41:14 PM EDT
[#12]
That's with insurance. My wife(teacher) and our son is on her insurance and I am on my own. If I was put on it, it would cost us $1100 PER MONTH for major medical. I without me, it's $380.We are requesting an itemized bill to see if they are screwing us on anything. A guy got at our church got charged $250 to have a blanket put on him after his surgery.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:44:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Are you on a high deductible health plan?  On one of those I could see the cost getting high if you have had very few expenses until the procedure and it maxed out your deductible.  Otherwise that seems extremely high for that type of procedure if insurance is paying even part of it.

I'll ask my wife, who is a nurse, if she knows what that procedure normally costs.  I doubt it, as she never worked in ENT, but she might have a ballpark idea.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:48:47 PM EDT
[#14]
$4,800 is our deductible. Luckily everything after this will be covered because we have to go to the allergist in a couple months.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:18:05 PM EDT
[#15]
My daughter is deaf in her left ear because of tubes.

I wish we would have let here grow out of the infections.

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:21:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
$4,800 is our deductible. Luckily everything after this will be covered because we have to go to the allergist in a couple months.
View Quote

I asked my wife and she didn't know, but didn't think $4k sounded as high as I did so perhaps it isn't.  I often get sticker shock with healthcare stuff.

When my son was born it was in mid December, which naturally maxed out our deductible.  Then my wife had a complication that required emergency surgery on, of course, January 1st.  So we paid our full deductible twice in a couple weeks.  That one stung...

Good luck and I hope this helps your son with his ear infections.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:34:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My daughter is deaf in her left ear because of tubes.
I wish we would have let here grow out of the infections.  
View Quote

At this point, trips every two weeks to the doctor, antibiotic after antibiotic, sleepless night after sleepless night, and hearing loss from rupturing of the ear drum, I'll take my chances.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:38:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I asked my wife and she didn't know, but didn't think $4k sounded as high as I did so perhaps it isn't.  I often get sticker shock with healthcare stuff.

When my son was born it was in mid December, which naturally maxed out our deductible.  Then my wife had a complication that required emergency surgery on, of course, January 1st.  So we paid our full deductible twice in a couple weeks.  That one stung...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet that did hurt. Luckily our cycle is August to August so we are in the clear on that one.

I told my wife tonight that it's absolutely ridiculous for things to cost as much as they do. It's no wonder the government is going after the health care system in our country. Granted they are doing it completely wrong but still....
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:46:32 PM EDT
[#19]
We have always had good luck with a chiropractic adjustment and an herbal ear drop. Can't imagine surgery on my kid. Good luck op
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:08:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:31:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That's with insurance. My wife(teacher) and our son is on her insurance and I am on my own. If I was put on it, it would cost us $1100 PER MONTH for major medical. I without me, it's $380.We are requesting an itemized bill to see if they are screwing us on anything. A guy got at our church got charged $250 to have a blanket put on him after his surgery.
View Quote

Probably a warming blanket (Bair Hugger). The "blanket" wasn't free and neither was the warming device it was attached to, but that doesn't make for interesting stories at church .
Good luck with the tubes, Youngest daughter had them and they really helped her quality of life when younger.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:42:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Way back when times were different, we all had ear aches and they hurt like hell sometimes.

I can't get over the number of kids who grew up deaf, my sister had hearing loss.

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 11:14:06 PM EDT
[#23]
My first son had more or less the same situation.... tubes in just before 1 year of age.  At that point, he had been on antibiotics for more of his life than OFF of them, because of the infections.  Regular doc resisted tubes, ENT said "Tube him up!".

Handing your first-born over to the anesthesiologist is TOUGH.  But, don't worry... it will go FAST.  I think ours was only about 5 minutes.  It's a very quick deal - poke, suction, grommet.  Roll, repeat, done.  After it's done, you'll be happy, and so will your kid.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 11:16:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Way back when times were different, we all had ear aches and they hurt like hell sometimes.

I can't get over the number of kids who grew up deaf, spoiled, and some even died from the infections, prolly.
View Quote

My wife is one of those kids - completely deaf in one ear as a result of infections.  Getting an ear ache is one thing - getting one that won't go away for half a year or more is another.

That being said, before they did tubes, the old-school method was to just poke a hole in the ear drum, irrigate it well with water to rinse all of the mucous out, and then call it a day.   Oh yeah, no anesthetic, so you had to be really, REALLY bad off before you'd agree to it.  Side-fact:  Stephen King had that done to him as a child.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 12:58:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I bet that did hurt. Luckily our cycle is August to August so we are in the clear on that one.

I told my wife tonight that it's absolutely ridiculous for things to cost as much as they do. It's no wonder the government is going after the health care system in our country. Granted they are doing it completely wrong but still....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The difficulty with healthcare pricing is that it is a shell game.  The hospital/doctors have a price they charge.  The insurance companies have a price they've contracted.  The patient has deductibles, copays, etc.  On top of that, the contracted prices are different for different payors.  Government payors are notoriously bad.  My plumber gets paid more than the government pays me.  Depending on where you go, you may end up seeing multiple bills, e.g., you'll get a bill from the hospital for facilities, recovery, meds, etc.  The surgeon may send a separate bill, and the anesthesiologist yet a third, so that can be confusing.  Getting an itemized bill is a very good idea.  Call with questions.  On a surgery my wife had, someone hit a wrong key typing in the charges and I got billed for something like 3000 bottles of saline flush, which would have been physically impossible to use in a 30 minute case.  I contested that, and the $5,000 was reversed.  Didn't get so much as a thank you from the insurance company.

$4000 may be close.  My wife had a relatively short bladder surgery and together the hospital, surgeon, and anesthesiologist charged well over 20,000.  Final payout was around 10,000.  Fortunately, I'm on a high deductible plan.  $5000 deductible with 10,000 out of pocket max.  Wife was in the hospital for a few days earlier this year, so I haven't paid for anything since July.  My employer switched us to the high deductible plan a couple years ago.  It's been great.  I save enough on my premiums to more than pay my deductible.  Once I hit OOP max, I'm done.  With the old standard insurance, I would have still had prescription and office visit copays.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:44:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Not trying to hijack but I would like to add a little if I may.  I am a very long term lurker but never posted just some IM a couple of times.  Anyway, follow up on the tubes, not to scare you but my oldest son needed his first set of tubes at 7 months of age, after 4 months of on again off again ear infections.  His second set of tubes was at 2 ½ years.  Long story short, the ear infections were only masking a much larger problem when he was born.  His kidneys are almost completely trashed.  He is 13 years old now and just had the first surgery to try to save his only good kidney last Monday.  We just found out about the problem in late August.  He was borne premature, not too much, just 4 weeks.  He had MANY trips to the Dr. and two 1 week stays in the hospital over the last 13 years. The surgeon told us that every ear infection and illness for the last 13 years has probably been a kidney infection that was misdiagnosed.  Again, not trying to scare you just felt compelled to share.
Respectfully,
ZMCOYOTE
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 2:10:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Ummm... no.  

You really think adjusting a kid's spine is going to fix a middle-ear infection?  Seriously?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We have always had good luck with a chiropractic adjustment and an herbal ear drop. Can't imagine surgery on my kid. Good luck op

Ummm... no.  

You really think adjusting a kid's spine is going to fix a middle-ear infection?  Seriously?

Yes it does work. It worked on my uncle when he was a kid and it worked on me as well. It prevented me from having tubes put in. We tried it on my son but his tube that allows drainage is just now developing fast enough with his body.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 2:16:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Not trying to hijack but I would like to add a little if I may.  I am a very long term lurker but never posted just some IM a couple of times.  Anyway, follow up on the tubes, not to scare you but my oldest son needed his first set of tubes at 7 months of age, after 4 months of on again off again ear infections.  His second set of tubes was at 2 ½ years.  Long story short, the ear infections were only masking a much larger problem when he was born.  His kidneys are almost completely trashed.  He is 13 years old now and just had the first surgery to try to save his only good kidney last Monday.  We just found out about the problem in late August.  He was borne premature, not too much, just 4 weeks.  He had MANY trips to the Dr. and two 1 week stays in the hospital over the last 13 years. The surgeon told us that every ear infection and illness for the last 13 years has probably been a kidney infection that was misdiagnosed.  Again, not trying to scare you just felt compelled to share.
Respectfully,
ZMCOYOTE
View Quote

Well this the last fucking thing I needed to hear... I am sorry for your misfortunes. Thank you for your input and if we have continued problems, I will be sure to bring this up.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:13:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:22:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Would you care to explain the physiologic mechanism of that to me?  Something to do with Chakras and Energy Meridians, perhaps?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ummm... no.  

Yes it does work. It worked on my uncle when he was a kid and it worked on me as well. It prevented me from having tubes put in. We tried it on my son but his tube that allows drainage is just now developing fast enough with his body.

Would you care to explain the physiologic mechanism of that to me?  Something to do with Chakras and Energy Meridians, perhaps?

Haha, you really need to do some homework.  Not all chiropractic is hoodoo.  
You CAN drain your ears by pulling on your ear lobe (away and kind of forward)  You will actually hear a popping sound.  My chiropractor does it and I do it to myself pretty regularly.  Obviously it won't always work, but it can be very effective.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:37:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ummm... no.  

I really can't explain it as I am not a medical professional. He did try to explain how it works but I just had a starry glazed look when he did. Even the second doctor that recommended us to the Ent asked if we tried this first.

I believe it has something to do with how your skull aligns with the spin and how the bones align in your sinus and ear canals. Proper alignment allows drainage and no aligned will result in a blockage.

Like I said, it worked on me. I remember many nights having to sleep with a heating pad and I do remember the day he popped my neck. Have you ever got water in your ears and the put alcohol in them? That same feeling happened when he popped my neck.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:40:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Ummm... no.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ummm... no.  

It's not his spine.. cranial sacral manipulative technique, specifically the Galbreath technique, helps open the eustachian tube and promote middle ear drainage.  Honestly it can't hurt to try and may help some select patients.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:44:30 AM EDT
[#33]
OP, I had tubes when I was around his age.  One side stayed and one came out.  The second one stayed in, but even with the tubes I still had ear infections regularly until I was about 6.  I didn't have to have tubes after the first time, but the infections kept coming.    

I would continue to look into other issues, specifically possible food allergies that could be contributing.  I am almost 100% certain that mine were related to food allergies that my parents didn't know about.  
Obvious places to look would be dairy and wheat (gluten).

My son is 19 months and he has eczema if he eats certain foods.  For him it's eggs and certain starches (we don't give him any gluten).  
I will be praying for you both.  I can't imagine what it was like for my parents emotionally having to deal with my medical issues when I was so little (I had several other issues that were more serious).

Also, even with the tubes, infections etc. I have above average hearing.  So it doesn't automatically mean he will have hearing loss.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:53:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Haha, you really need to do some homework.  Not all chiropractic is hoodoo.  
You CAN drain your ears by pulling on your ear lobe (away and kind of forward)  You will actually hear a popping sound.  My chiropractor does it and I do it to myself pretty regularly.  Obviously it won't always work, but it can be very effective.
View Quote

You're talking about draining the middle ear through the eustachian tubes? Those are easily blocked by inflammation caused by the infection. If your chiro can drain your ears, they weren't very bad to begin with.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:56:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
OP, I had tubes when I was around his age.  One side stayed and one came out.  The second one stayed in, but even with the tubes I still had ear infections regularly until I was about 6.  I didn't have to have tubes after the first time, but the infections kept coming.    

I would continue to look into other issues, specifically possible food allergies that could be contributing.  I am almost 100% certain that mine were related to food allergies that my parents didn't know about.  

My son is 19 months and he has eczema if he eats certain foods.  For him it's eggs and certain starches (we don't give him any gluten).  
I will be praying for you both.  I can't imagine what it was like for my parents emotionally having to deal with my medical issues when I was so little (I had several other issues that were more serious).

Also, even with the tubes, infections etc. I have above average hearing.  So it doesn't automatically mean he will have hearing loss.
View Quote

Thank you for your response. The allergist is our next step after this. Since we will meet our deductible, we are going to do everything we can and get him fixed. If my kid is allergic to eggs, good God in heaven is it going to be hell. That boy eats an 18count if not more of eggs per week.

I do know he has allergies but still, from the months of may to September he has zero issues. We even tried to rule out dairy as we read that was an issue but that did not help.

Thank you for your prayers. They are much appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:02:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It's not his spine.. cranial sacral manipulative technique, specifically the Galbreath technique, helps open the eustachian tube and promote middle ear drainage.  Honestly it can't hurt to try and may help some select patients.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ummm... no.  

Wikipedia links an interesting article about various manipulation techniques and their effectiveness:

Conclusions: Spinal manipulation/mobilization is effective in adults for: acute, subacute, and chronic low back pain; migraine and cervicogenic headache; cervicogenic dizziness; manipulation/mobilization is effective for several
extremity joint conditions; and thoracic manipulation/mobilization is effective for acute/subacute neck pain. The evidence is inconclusive for cervical manipulation/mobilization alone for neck pain of any duration, and for
manipulation/mobilization for mid back pain, sciatica, tension-type headache, coccydynia, temporomandibular joint disorders, fibromyalgia, premenstrual syndrome, and pneumonia in older adults. Spinal manipulation is not effective
for asthma and dysmenorrhea when compared to sham manipulation, or for Stage 1 hypertension when added to an antihypertensive diet. In children, the evidence is inconclusive regarding the effectiveness for otitis media and
enuresis, and it is not effective for infantile colic and asthma when compared to sham manipulation. Massage is effective in adults for chronic low back pain and chronic neck pain. The evidence is inconclusive for
knee osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia, myofascial pain syndrome, migraine headache, and premenstrual syndrome. In children, the evidence is inconclusive for asthma and infantile colic.

Link to full-text PDF: http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1746-1340-18-3.pdf

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:05:56 AM EDT
[#37]
First and foremost, I would like to thank EVERYONE for their responses and contributions toward this topic. They are very much appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:38:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Thank you for your response. The allergist is our next step after this. Since we will meet our deductible, we are going to do everything we can and get him fixed. If my kid is allergic to eggs, good God in heaven is it going to be hell. That boy eats an 18count if not more of eggs per week.

I do know he has allergies but still, from the months of may to September he has zero issues. We even tried to rule out dairy as we read that was an issue but that did not help.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something else to consider over the long term is the health of your child's intestinal flora. This thread has already diverged a few times into homeopathy so I figured I would join in.

If he has been on antibiotics as much as you say there is a good chance his intestinal flora has been disrupted. Although the actual science in this area is sparse it appears the modern medical community is starting to recognize the importance (life long) of the health of the gut. My gastroenterologist is a huge proponent
of probiotic supplementation after antibiotic use and I can state unequivocally that neglecting the health of the gut can have painful consequences. I am still healing after a c-diff infection brought on from a 19 day stretch of antibiotics used to try and treat an ear infection. If you can get the little guy to eat some good yogurt that has had some cultures added after pasteurization (No crap yoplait) it may go a long way towards helping him avoid future health problems. You may have to go to Whole Foods or Trader Joes to get that kind of Yogurt. It is a simple and tasty way to help keep is tummy healthy.

Antibiotics are truly miracle drugs and one of the greatest achievements of modern medicine however (IMO) I don't believe we fully understand the consequences of killing off the symbiotic bacteria in our body.

FWIW, I am 36 and was just told I am going to have to get a tube in my left ear. Plugged and painful for 6 months. When I was your boys age I had similar problems and even had one ear drum rupture. I don't remember much from when I was two but I do remember that pain.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:47:46 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote

Unfortunately this kind of stuff is going to get worse with Obamacare. We had a HMO plan, and my daughter kept getting UTI's. It started around 2 yrs old and was constant until 3. Well when we switched to Kaiser, they decided to run a whole battery of test. Turns out she had a defective kidney that for lack of a better term, ate itself, causing her to get a lot of UTI's. After the kidney shrunk to nothing, the UTI's stopped. Now we know what has caused them and have been able to make adjustments to keep here existing kidney in good shape.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 10:58:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Something else to consider over the long term is the health of your child's intestinal flora. This thread has already diverged a few times into homeopathy so I figured I would join in.

If he has been on antibiotics as much as you say there is a good chance his intestinal flora has been disrupted. Although the actual science in this area is sparse it appears the modern medical community is starting to recognize the importance (life long) of the health of the gut. My gastroenterologist is a huge proponent
of probiotic supplementation after antibiotic use and I can state unequivocally that neglecting the health of the gut can have painful consequences. I am still healing after a c-diff infection brought on from a 19 day stretch of antibiotics used to try and treat an ear infection. If you can get the little guy to eat some good yogurt that has had some cultures added after pasteurization (No crap yoplait) it may go a long way towards helping him avoid future health problems. You may have to go to Whole Foods or Trader Joes to get that kind of Yogurt. It is a simple and tasty way to help keep is tummy healthy.

Antibiotics are truly miracle drugs and one of the greatest achievements of modern medicine however (IMO) I don't believe we fully understand the consequences of killing off the symbiotic bacteria in our body.

FWIW, I am 36 and was just told I am going to have to get a tube in my left ear. Plugged and painful for 6 months. When I was your boys age I had similar problems and even had one ear drum rupture. I don't remember much from when I was two but I do remember that pain.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have considered this intensely. He started out on low grade MOX and now we are on rowsefrin(sp?) shots. Luckily he loves yogurt and we feed him the expensive stuff with live cultures and probiotics. This kid eats more fresh fruits and vegetables as snacks than most do for meals. The only real fault in his diet is cheese sticks, pretzels, and the occasional hand full of cheese - it's.

We are looking at buying live cultures and making our own yogurt just for the cost savings because of how high the good quality yogurt is.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 12:34:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Had a problem with this staring around 10 YO.

Have his DHEA levels checked and maybe try a supplement from Costco, if your doc allows.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:14:00 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
We have considered this intensely. He started out on low grade MOX and now we are on rowsefrin(sp?) shots. Luckily he loves yogurt and we feed him the expensive stuff with live cultures and probiotics. This kid eats more fresh fruits and vegetables as snacks than most do for meals. The only real fault in his diet is cheese sticks, pretzels, and the occasional hand full of cheese - it's.

We are looking at buying live cultures and making our own yogurt just for the cost savings because of how high the good quality yogurt is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Home-made sauerkraut or kimchee is the same flora.  You could try making kraut and then giving the kid a diluted bottle of water and the juice.

It'll make him fart like crazy, especially if taken with a gut full of lactose from milk.  But as an adult, I don't feel right unless I am getting a steady "righting" by some external bugs.

They make probiotic chews now too, depending on if he can eat that kind of stuff yet.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:38:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Yea, i aint making that crap. My whole house would smell like that for a week. The health food store has a bottle of granulated probiotic that you can sprinkle on just about anything.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:35:10 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ummm... no.  

The 'galbreath technique' is merely aa method of opening and closing the jaw in a effort to 'open' the eustachian tube, similar to a valsalva.  While theoretically possible that this would help, kids with eustachian tube dysfunction to the point of needing tubes will very very rarely, if ever, benefit.  Meanwhile, every month of a middle ear effusion and conductive hearing loss in a young child is just more delay in speech and language development.

Tubes, when indicated,  FTW.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:55:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wow, I was going to say $4,000 for a set of ear tubes was the most ridiculous thing in this thread, but congrats, you topped it.

OP, the anesthesia is really very straightforward.  Usually we don't even need an IV.  Some gas by mask, asleep, poke one ear, poke the other, wake up.  Not much pain at all once it's done.  Typically I'll give the kid a Tylenol suppository (while asleep) and a few drops of fentanyl in the nose and that's plenty.  That's right, I let little kids snort China White in my OR.  Usually have mom or dad in recovery so they wake up to a familiar face, but not every hospital is set up to have visitors in recovery.

The only other thing I'll mention is that some kids wake up from anesthesia very disoriented, yelling, thrashing around - this often upsets or scares the parents, but be reassured that it's just emergence delirium, not pain.  If that happens, don't worry, it'll pass in a few minutes.

It's about the lowest risk surgery and anesthesia we do.  Low isn't zero, but it's really really low.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:13:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Wow, I was going to say $4,000 for a set of ear tubes was the most ridiculous thing in this thread, but congrats, you topped it.

OP, the anesthesia is really very straightforward.  Usually we don't even need an IV.  Some gas by mask, asleep, poke one ear, poke the other, wake up.  Not much pain at all once it's done.  Typically I'll give the kid a Tylenol suppository (while asleep) and a few drops of fentanyl in the nose and that's plenty.  That's right, I let little kids snort China White in my OR.  Usually have mom or dad in recovery so they wake up to a familiar face, but not every hospital is set up to have visitors in recovery.

The only other thing I'll mention is that some kids wake up from anesthesia very disoriented, yelling, thrashing around - this often upsets or scares the parents, but be reassured that it's just emergence delirium, not pain.  If that happens, don't worry, it'll pass in a few minutes.

It's about the lowest risk surgery and anesthesia we do.  Low isn't zero, but it's really really low.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, occasionally it's pain.  After my fifth surgery I slowly woke up with crazy bad stabbing pain in my right ear.  Kept trying to pull off some big plastic shield.  This wasn't for tubes, BTW, some other way to patch a hole in the drum.  Codeine worked fine for the next 24hrs, though.

But yeah, people can do odd things coming out of it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:50:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:33:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So.....i guess my statement about ear tubes costing us $4k is the second most ridiculous thing in this thread? SInce it sound like your the anesthesiologist in the operating room during the procedures, you do realize your the most costly fucker during the procedure right? Care for me to send you the bill so you can have a looksy?

It would be nice if you could share some of that China White with the parents so we can get all doped up before we have to take it in the ass.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:19:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:34:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

What in the blue f*ck is your problem?  You know this isn't GD, right?

You have actual physicians trying to reassure you, and provide you detailed explanations of what is being done (and why), and this is how you behave?  All you can do is thrash around like a 2yo and throw BS like that?  I should have written you off when you were supporting Chiropractic adjustments to fix your child's ear infections (how is that working for you?), but I chalked it up to a concerned parent looking for anything that might help their sick child.  Now I suspect you're just another one of those anti-medicine cranks who has to be dragged kicking-and-screaming into utilizing modern medicine.    

God almighty... I don't know why some of us bother.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So.....i guess my statement about ear tubes costing us $4k is the second most ridiculous thing in this thread? SInce it sound like your the anesthesiologist in the operating room during the procedures, you do realize your the most costly fucker during the procedure right? Care for me to send you the bill so you can have a looksy?

It would be nice if you could share some of that China White with the parents so we can get all doped up before we have to take it in the ass.

What in the blue f*ck is your problem?  You know this isn't GD, right?

You have actual physicians trying to reassure you, and provide you detailed explanations of what is being done (and why), and this is how you behave?  All you can do is thrash around like a 2yo and throw BS like that?  I should have written you off when you were supporting Chiropractic adjustments to fix your child's ear infections (how is that working for you?), but I chalked it up to a concerned parent looking for anything that might help their sick child.  Now I suspect you're just another one of those anti-medicine cranks who has to be dragged kicking-and-screaming into utilizing modern medicine.    

God almighty... I don't know why some of us bother.  

I have no problem at all and i do realize that this is not GD.

I am also very thankful i have physicians chiming in on this and telling me it will be ok. If you were listening in on my end and my conversations with the doctor i have been having over the past week, you would understand my frustration. I am not trashing around like a 2yo and throwing BS around and i  wish you would write me off since you have ZERO useful contributions thus far.

As i said, the chiropractic adjustments worked for ME as a kid. i was on the verge of tubes since i had constant ear infections just like my son. Would it not be proactive to in my case to see if it would work for my son as well and not have to have surgery?

You have ZERO knowledge of me or my medical history. For you to say that i am against modern medicine is complete lunacy. Unless you went to the doctor more than at least 2x a year from the ages of 7-16 for either surgery, borken bones, concussions, you have no room to speak. ( I was a very very athletic and active boy growing up.)

I do hope that we can continue this conversation as this has been helpful for me and the wife.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top