Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2013 7:47:28 AM EDT
..since knowing my wife.

Why is this such a big deal? Well, when I met my wife, she was vegetarian. After we got pregnant, she HAD to have KFC. She continued to eat meat after the pregnancy, but NOTHING could come from a butcher or be in white butcher paper. Only cling wrap supermarket meat. I have NOT been allowed to butcher anything since I have known her. She could not handle it, especially something she raised.

Well, I broke her of that this spring by buying 1/4 organic beef. She actually REALLY prefers that over supermarket meat now.

Well, we got some chicks this spring, and one ended up being a rooster. He was getting REALLY mean, so this morning I cleaned him up and he is in the oven right now!

I'm working on her. Soon she will be really liking home grown food.

She was also bucking prepping in the beginning to, but is mostly coming around.

Point being, if you have a reluctant spouse, keep on him/her. Just take your time. They will come around .

That is all.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:08:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I think you're going to find that chicken is much better after 24-48 hours in the fridge. Chicken needs time to rest in the fridge or it gets tough.  And roosters make a much better stock bird or other dishes where chicken isn't the "star" (quesadillas, chicken soup, chicken salad).
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:16:40 AM EDT
[#2]
This one is roasting now to be slow cooked into soup for tomorrow. Wish I had time to let is rest, but we needed it for a party tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:38:33 AM EDT
[#3]
You drank the blood when you were finished correct?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:48:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This one is roasting now to be slow cooked into soup for tomorrow. Wish I had time to let is rest, but we needed it for a party tomorrow.
View Quote

Slow cooked should be good.  Throw in some bacon grease.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:57:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

You drank the blood when you were finished correct?
View Quote
hardly my first kill or slaughter, just since I met my better half  

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:58:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just got done roasting! Delicious, juicy and tough as nails

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:41:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm not a fan of killing things, with that said I've come to the realization that purchasing meat from a store is way more inhumane than if you raised and had it butchered.  I believe a lot of our society is disillusioned about how they get the delicious meat/eggs/seafood etc. they enjoy, thinking all these happy animals live a long and happy life.  After watching a few documentaries about the conditions animals are raised in, I've decided it would be much more humane to raise the food myself where at least they do get to roam etc.  If you have someone on the fence about how they feel about raising livestock considering having them watch something similar.  Something I never realized although it makes sense, in these large eggs productions areas if it's a male chick they kill it within two weeks and the females start their life on a factory line and end it in a small cage
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:08:06 PM EDT
[#8]
The last time I did that was in Scouts at a camporee with the Special Forces.

I need to go watch a youtube and bone up on cleaning a big bird quick and sanitary as they showed us.

The first time I saw it was at ten in a neighbor's back yard and it was a little freaky to see at that age, (guy was an asshole and a drunk, he let it loose after decapitating it )so I can understand your wife's apprehension or squeamishness
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:57:27 PM EDT
[#9]
If The Shit ever Hits The Fan, there's going to be a lot of people starving out there if they can't handle having to prepare their own meat.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people think meat just appears out of nowhere in a styroam container wrapped in plastic.

LC
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:40:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I met my wife at the age of 16. After a good day on a pond, I had her help me pick and clean seven ducks and two specks. She was elbow deep in blood and feathers. She cooked those ducks for her family and myself that weekend. That's when I knew, marriage material. Now she hunts with me and puts more kill shots out than I do. I'd would have married her if she didn't eat meat...

Good luck with your wife.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:33:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like a keeper, clickbangbang.  Mine is similar.

AV1611

Quoted:

I met my wife at the age of 16. After a good day on a pond, I had her help me pick and clean seven ducks and two specks. She was elbow deep in blood and feathers. She cooked those ducks for her family and myself that weekend. That's when I knew, marriage material. Now she hunts with me and puts more kill shots out than I do. I'd would have married her if she didn't eat meat...

Good luck with your wife.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top