Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2013 5:32:17 PM EDT
in northern state. discuss.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 5:45:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on how many you have to defend it and how many others "know" about it.  Is the lake water usable, or is there well water available?
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 5:49:40 PM EDT
[#2]
you wont be the only one thinking that....i can assure you
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 6:01:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Right...if we're talking about a public island.  I don't think anyone get's to play king of the island and expect everyone else will just let them be.

I think if you OWN a small island and can prep it for a few years like we do to our homes...great!  I know that's what I always said I'd do if I hit the lotto (not that I play much).  I'd buy an island somewhere, put my special prepper touch to it, and have my own personal paradise for the rest of my life.  No bosses, no hassles, just shipments as needed.

Now that being said, I know Rat specified in a lake.  I don't know about that.  Kinda locked in by water AND land...plenty of ability to gang up and launch attacks at.  

Like I said, I'd want the ocean.

-Emt1581  

Link Posted: 10/19/2013 6:44:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't. If you ever had to leave you'd be easy pickings in open water.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 6:44:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Since an island can be approached on all sides by a boat, multiple lookouts 24/7/365 would be necessary, along with comms.

How is the soil on this island?  What is the growing season like?  How many people already live there?
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 9:06:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd figger, everyone with a BOL...

There are at LEAST A DOZEN 'groups'...

Likely MANY more...

Who already have it spoken for.

Don't fool yourself. [Although fooling ourselves is a FAVORITE National pastime]

Link Posted: 10/20/2013 3:39:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Likely MANY more...

Don't fool yourself. [Although fooling ourselves is a FAVORITE National pastime]

View Quote

lol.

i had a an ineternet tuff guy debate with a guy who was trying to be all sneaky about his groups ideas to take over location A or B...however his directions/descriptions of said areas when overlayed on a local map showed all of the natural springs in the area that are state parks etc.

its funny because ever since the 80's its been a joke to many down here about taking over said places shtf...welcome to the 300k other wanna be rambos that plan to do the same lol

Link Posted: 10/20/2013 4:14:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I had the thought because there is a small island on the mucky duck lake a couple hundred yards from us. The lake is not used or fished with only a couple other houses on it. Easy picking in the water for enemy was my thought, but once you are there you can also be trapped.

Link Posted: 10/20/2013 6:36:54 AM EDT
[#9]
In MN, 3 seasons your probably gonna be ok, doubt any big floatillas will come in search of you. But in winter I know some of those lakes can be driven on.

A mucky old not really navigable duck pond, surrounded by trees limiting access by motorized vehicles might be viable.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 10:02:08 AM EDT
[#10]
When winter hits it really isn't an island anymore.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 11:01:15 AM EDT
[#11]
A small boat with an outboard motor and a dozen molotov cocktails could make life real exciting.

Unless your a tunnel rat that has dug out an extensive bunker network.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 11:12:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yea this.

No where to run either if things go left.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 4:41:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Alcatraz is an island.  Rikers is an island. Islands make great places to keep people in -- not so good for keeping people out.

Link Posted: 10/20/2013 4:57:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Alcatraz is an island.  Rikers is an island. Islands make great places to keep people in -- not so good for keeping people out.

View Quote

Wouldn't it be good for keeping people out for exactly the same reasons?

MN winters?  No thanks!  
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 5:08:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
When winter hits it really isn't an island anymore.
View Quote

Yup.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 5:25:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

MN winters?  No thanks!  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

MN winters?  No thanks!  

This what I thought as well (keeping people out). The particular island I mention is not very accessible, but the lake has a small, shitty landing. We have been living here fr 4 years(?) now, and I have seen a duck boat on that lake ONCE. Size of this island is measured in square feet, not acres. Maybe 3k square feet of dry land. From our shore of the lake, you have about 150 yards until you get to the island. From the landing, about 700 yards.

Could pick people off a long way off. Yes, winter you can walk across, but there is still NO cover that you will have.

Just a thought as a place to back off to if things got bad at the homestead. Don't know who, if anybody, owns it. Willing to bet I could ready it without anybody knowing about it.

Shitty thing is, once there you are stuck. Not much for fish in the lake, and too small of an island to be self-supporting. Easy enough to stock rations there to last a few weeks, but you are EASILY trapped there if someone REALLY wanted to get you. Also, once we would leave, I suppose we would having nothing to go back to, as the island is only 1/3 mile from the house.

The more I think about it, the more of a death trap it seems.

Edit for clarification.

Link Posted: 10/20/2013 5:25:55 PM EDT
[#17]
This would probably be more enjoyable.

Link Posted: 10/20/2013 5:26:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

MN winters?  No thanks!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MN winters?  No thanks!  

Even in the best of conditions, to escape an island which is under attack means covering a lot of open territory.  An island large enough to sustain a family makes a tasty target and would be incredibly difficult to defend 24/7 (as someone above said).

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:49:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This what I thought as well (keeping people out). The particular island I mention is not very accessible, but the lake has a small, shitty landing. We have been living here fr 4 years(?) now, and I have seen a duck boat on that lake ONCE. Size of this island is measured in square feet, not acres. Maybe 3k square feet of dry land. From our shore of the lake, you have about 150 yards until you get to the island. From the landing, about 700 yards.

Could pick people off a long way off. Yes, winter you can walk across, but there is still NO cover that you will have.

Just a thought as a place to back off to if things got bad at the homestead. Don't know who, if anybody, owns it. Willing to bet I could ready it without anybody knowing about it.

Shitty thing is, once there you are stuck. Not much for fish in the lake, and too small of an island to be self-supporting. Easy enough to stock rations there to last a few weeks, but you are EASILY trapped there if someone REALLY wanted to get you. Also, once we would leave, I suppose we would having nothing to go back to, as the island is only 1/3 mile from the house.

Edit for clarification.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MN winters?  No thanks!  

Edit for clarification.

Sounds like it might be a good location for a 2nd buried BO kit and or re-group / rally point if there is enough cover that you would not been seen from shore.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:27:33 AM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

Heyyy. We've got a few of those down here on the corner.. Water isn't that pretty, tho'.
First good storm surge or the more common lunar tide may change yer mind on that idea, tho'.
There's a few restaurants down here on the waterfront. Come lunar high tide the water comes
out in the street from under'em. The "uninitiated" will drive their vehicle thru it. Buh-bye, steel!!

If anybody's thinkin salt environment best bring plenty'o'grease for ALL your hardware. d:^)  Schneeks..
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:04:20 AM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

I  don't  think  so . No  fresh  water . No  ability  to  watch  your  6 . Not  for  me  thank you .
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:05:22 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
lol.

i had a an ineternet tuff guy debate with a guy who was trying to be all sneaky about his groups ideas to take over location A or B...however his directions/descriptions of said areas when overlayed on a local map showed all of the natural springs in the area that are state parks etc.

its funny because ever since the 80's its been a joke to many down here about taking over said places shtf...welcome to the 300k other wanna be rambos that plan to do the same lol

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Likely MANY more...

lol.

Otherwise known as "The Thunderdome Effect"

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:42:56 AM EDT
[#23]
A few comments.

If isolated enough, it may have the advantage of being difficult to get to so much that it seriously dissuades potential adversaries from going there.

you need a lot of buffer zone between shore and the island so you can see potential adversaries coming soon enough that you can deal with them. you also need the space so it is hard to shoot at you from shore.

you need vegetation that shields what is going on inland from the shore.

people have a very seriously understated view of how much land is required to be self sustaining. it would need to be a serious size island.

a lot of islands are subject to seasonal flooding.

you will need some kind of pier for the boat that got you out there and allows you to go back and forth.

where are you going to park your car? if someone on shore sees a car, they are going to be wondering where the owner is.

no way to hide the smoke or odors from the fires you have to cook and keep warm.

unlikely that you will have any utilities at all.

an island large enough to be self sustaining will require a lot of people on watch 24/7 to provide 360 degree warning of attack. my guess is that the numbers are going to make any island smaller than maybe a few square miles as a no go. the sheer number of people it would take is going to make keeping it secret very difficult.

you are pretty much trapped if some thing hostile occupies the nearby shore line.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:55:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Local consensus is that we'll capture Fort Monroe and secure the inner fort in the moat.

I vote from the ramparts.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:14:06 AM EDT
[#25]
The plan is to take over a Costco early on. I am hoping they have plenty of diesel / generators on hand!!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:48:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Maybe this is what you need. Fort already built. Just add TP and water
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top