Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2013 5:28:27 PM EDT
this is the original thread

I just fired up the perfection heater. Stunning how little smell on start up. Nothing compared to my modern heaters. Much more like an oil lamp. I'm going to buy a few new wicks asap. This might be my new favorite heater!

The heat output seems on par or hotter than my 9,000 btu units.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 5:49:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 6:16:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm going to have to do a photo breakdown on it to show why I like it.  Lots of good points.

eta:

This is with the top open.  The whole top is hinged.

this shows the burner out of the main body.  Very easy to fill with a nice big fuel port and the fuel gauge in the filler cap.  

this shows the wick at full height.

very easy design to work with.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 6:24:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I had one of those years ago. Kept our drafty den and kitchen area at a comfortable temp. Didn't have to use the big money whole house heater near as much. The one I had used a nail stuck in a cork through the fill cap for a fuel level guage. Used the top to make boiled coffee with in the mornings.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 6:54:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had one of those years ago. Kept our drafty den and kitchen area at a comfortable temp. Didn't have to use the big money whole house heater near as much. The one I had used a nail stuck in a cork through the fill cap for a fuel level guage. Used the top to make boiled coffee with in the mornings.
View Quote

I just posted more pics. Mine has the fuel gauge as well.  Great little heater!
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 2:02:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Guys. I apologize for finding  the good stuff before all of you can get it!

I bought this today for $30!

Perfection 525M.

It's not in pristine shape. There is some superficial rust inside the tower and on the burner, but nothing bad. It will stabilize now that I am going to be running it. I was able to get it running nicely with the old wick. Seems to burn just fine. I have it running in the garage to allow it to burn off the stink of not running for a generation. I am figuring this is a newer one. Probably 60's or 70's, but I don't know for sure. It has been repainted once.

All in all a nice little heater. I am very pleased with it for the price. Now I want a 750!

I bought this at an antique store. We have a few good ones we try to frequent. It paid off because now I know what I am looking at in a perfection heater.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 2:45:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice user grade heater. Steel tank I would imagine.
Does it have the cork float? Some of them have a brass float with a geared linkage to a needle on top of the tank. Pretty nifty fuel gauge set up.

Guy near me has FireLight in brown and white porcelain for $90. If I didn't already have my black one, I'd be all over it. I'm going to keep an eye on it to see if they lower the price.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 3:43:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nice user grade heater. Steel tank I would imagine.
Does it have the cork float? Some of them have a brass float with a geared linkage to a needle on top of the tank. Pretty nifty fuel gauge set up.

Guy near me has FireLight in brown and white porcelain for $90. If I didn't already have my black one, I'd be all over it. I'm going to keep an eye on it to see if they lower the price.
View Quote

It has the cork and nail float gauge. I really don't blink about the rust. That just reminds me that my collecting has purpose. All oil lamps, lanterns, or heaters I buy will be useable. If they don't run they are just junk. My newest heater will definitely get used.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 3:59:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, I buy everything as users too. You have to be able to see the diamond in the rough.
Unless something has significant monetary or historical value it gets a full rehab for no other reason than to halt the ravages of time. The fact that they look good when they are done is just an added bonus.
Good luck on your FireLight........
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 5:18:08 PM EDT
[#9]
A quick word of warning.

These heaters have no tip over shut off protection. These heaters should be attended when running. If this heater should be knocked over the best way to right it quickly would be by grabbing the bail and pulling it up right. The quicker the better.

Kerosene will leak out around the wick if it's tipped over. It won't come out super fast, but it it's a hazard.

I just want those who are adverse to that risk to know ahead of time so they don't make a purchase they will regret.

I have been around kerosene heaters, oil lamps, and lanterns my whole life. I an fully aware of the risk and so is my family. I don't keep them safe by avoiding every hazard but by helping them learn to manage risk without fear.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 5:33:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Pretty awesome finds.

Do you have to leave a window cracked open for ventilation?
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 5:38:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Pretty awesome finds.

View Quote

Not at all. Our house it's pretty tight, but there it's definitely enough draft that we don't worry about it. They burn very cleanly. No smoke or fumes. No dried out eyes or throat. Good clean heat.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 5:48:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a 700 sq. ft apartment that's pretty tight. I can't help but think I'd need to crack a window. But then I've also never heated with a kerosene heater before either.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 6:08:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have a 700 sq. ft apartment that's pretty tight. I can't help but think I'd need to crack a window. But then I've also never heated with a kerosene heater before either.
View Quote

Tiny crack won't hurt. I don't bother.  It's not a raging inferno. Just a nice hot flame.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 6:37:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Cool! I might have to keep an eye open for one. New neighbors up stairs are always leaving their windows open. So my electric bill goes up, and out their window, while I have to bundle up and have a hard time keeping it even around 65*.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 12:29:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Cool scores Batman!  I don't get out much, but if I ever run across one of those priced right I'll snap it up.

I'd like to find a steal price on one with the glass globe.

I wonder if you could get a wick for them with a fiberglass top so it'd last longer?

About how long do you reckon they run with a full font?
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 4:17:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Cool scores Batman!  I don't get out much, but if I ever run across one of those priced right I'll snap it up.

I'd like to find a steal price on one with the glass globe.

I wonder if you could get a wick for them with a fiberglass top so it'd last longer?

About how long do you reckon they run with a full font?
View Quote

I don't think a fiberglass wick would work well with the design of this heater.  In the long run, I doubt any of us will store enough k1 to use up a good wick and a spare in one heater.  Forget about several.  

I figure this heater will run about .1 gallons an hour, so around 10 hours to completely empty, which is not good.  I'm going to refill every 8 hours or so.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 4:22:58 AM EDT
[#17]
I have 8 kerosene heaters now.  Two are beaters over at the machine shop. One is my garage heater. Omni 230 for the main floor.  Sengoku 77/78 for the up stairs hall and bedrooms.  A perfection for our bed room. And a few for roaming duties. Pretty crazy. ..
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 4:48:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Pretty awesome finds.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Pretty awesome finds.

The theory says yes, because it doesnt vent gases to the exterior. On the practical side of things you should have a CO detector anyway and simply check for any increase in levels. In a closed room yes, you do need to leave a window opened  a bit, but as batmanacw said there wont be a problem if kept say in a big room with opened doors, living room or hallway.
The best way to go about it is simply to monitor the CO, and dont keep it in a smallish room with doors and windows closed.
If you start to feel dizzy or a headache, make sure CO levels arent going up and ventilate.
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty awesome finds.

Not at all. Our house it's pretty tight, but there it's definitely enough draft that we don't worry about it. They burn very cleanly. No smoke or fumes. No dried out eyes or throat. Good clean heat.

Did you try it out to heat some water or cook food?
About the dryness thing, a clean burning heater will produce water vapor, about a gallon of water vapor for every gallon of kero burned so while its not a lot, it doesnt feel as dry as other forms of heating, no dry eyes, dry throat. In smaller, poorly ventilated rooms it can evlevate humidity enough to be an issue, so again opened doors or heating in corridors or hallways rather than in a small room with doors closed is a good idea.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 7:53:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

About the dryness thing, a clean burning heater will produce water vapor, about a gallon of water vapor for every gallon of kero burned so while its not a lot, it doesnt feel as dry as other forms of heating, no dry eyes, dry throat. In smaller, poorly ventilated rooms it can evlevate humidity enough to be an issue, so again opened doors or heating in corridors or hallways rather than in a small room with doors closed is a good idea.
FerFAL
View Quote

This reminds me-
I had a lot of condensation when I solely heated with kerosene heaters.  It obviously was from cooking and us too but it got to be an issue with some of my guns which were stored in cooler rooms or closets.   In the same house when I heated with the furnace there were no condensation issues.   It might be worth keeping an eye on things like that, maybe invest in a goldenrod for your safe if you don't have one yet etc...
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 8:09:21 AM EDT
[#20]
RE: CO and burning kero inside.

I have a couple of kero heaters that I used to use to heat my home before I put in central heat.   I used a commercial co detector/combustion analyzer to check output from work.  Lowering the sensor into the combustion chamber yielded a few parts per million.  Six inches from the top of the heater showed zero parts per million.   I considered the co a non-issue after that but a sensible precaution would be to have a wall mounted detector.  

One issue that I found years later was that the ceiling in my living room did get a little discolored after several years of running the heaters.  I only observed this while painting.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 11:05:05 AM EDT
[#21]
I just bought 30 gallons of k1 undyed for $4.19 per gallon.  Not cheap!

I mix it with Walmart k1 I paid about $7 per gallon.

This stuff is not cheap, and not cheaper than the natural gas I great with, but we can concentrate the heat where we want. Makes for a happy wife! It is cheaper and more effective than electric heat for spot heating.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 12:42:56 PM EDT
[#22]
After sanding and a new coat of high heat paint!

much, much better!

The paint seemed to be half rust as I sanded. It practically turned brown. I blew it off really well and used a whole can of rustoleum on it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 12:46:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Those are very cool, nice finds! Is the new paint black, or grey as it appears?
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 1:06:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Those are very cool, nice finds! Is the new paint black, or grey as it appears?
View Quote

Flat black. It's in bright sun shine. It looks much darker inside.

The chicken was there for size reference......
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 3:00:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 3:17:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Anyone using wick-type devices, be they lanterns or stoves, should visit this site:http://www.milesstair.com/

Tons of expert knowledge contained therein, and no BS.  I have been a customer, and all transactions carried out very quickly and efficiently.  This guy is a bona-fide GURU on this sort of thing.  Read up on his site, and become an expert.--for free--before you buy.

disclaimer: no financial interest.
View Quote

That is where I'm going to order my extra wicks.  Great sight.  Wish he had more detail on perfection heaters.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 3:24:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
After sanding and a new coat of high heat paint!

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/batmanacw/gear/20131011_163312_zpsec2ca566.jpg

much, much better!

The paint seemed to be half rust as I sanded. It practically turned brown. I blew it off really well and used a whole can of rustoleum on it.
View Quote

Looks great man!  I like it!  
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 3:37:50 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
That is where I'm going to order my extra wicks.  Great sight.  Wish he had more detail on perfection heaters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Anyone using wick-type devices, be they lanterns or stoves, should visit this site:http://www.milesstair.com/

Tons of expert knowledge contained therein, and no BS.  I have been a customer, and all transactions carried out very quickly and efficiently.  This guy is a bona-fide GURU on this sort of thing.  Read up on his site, and become an expert.--for free--before you buy.

What more is there to know about perfection heaters? They are crazy simple.

Link Posted: 10/11/2013 3:45:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 3:59:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What years were the 525m made?  What years for the 730?   Distinguishing characteristics of different years.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 4:16:28 PM EDT
[#31]
If you find anything, please let me know. I looked around for the same info and had very little luck.
Your heater came out good, but you painted over the little aluminum triangle. Goin' for the stealth look, eh.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 4:19:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If you find anything, please let me know. I looked around for the same info and had very little luck.
Your heater came out good, but you painted over the little aluminum triangle. Goin' for the stealth look, eh.
View Quote

I'll hit that with sandpaper tomorrow!  
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 8:41:33 PM EDT
[#33]
I ran the heater for a few hours tonight.  The paint looks perfect!  I will need to buy a new sick for it soon,  but it seems to be working like a charm. Very pleased with our purchase.
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 8:02:27 AM EDT
[#34]
I passed on another 730 today.  It was in rough but serviceable shape for$10. I guess I really should have bought it to fix up for a give away. Some elbow grease and $6 in paint and it would be s great heater.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 3:59:50 PM EDT
[#35]
You can cook a pot of beans and bacon, with the flame on low. My Mom would cook a pot of beans that would taste soo good.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:01:05 PM EDT
[#36]
The more I run these heaters the more I like them.

Perfection almost sums it up! Very little smell. Great heat right away. Super simple.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:50:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Forgot too mention. The capacity is quite low so filling is more often with these.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:51:55 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Forgot too mention. The capacity is quite low so filling is more often with these.
View Quote
Yeah, It seems they are ALWAYS low on fuel..

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top