Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2013 7:06:41 PM EDT
I just had my annual CPR recertification today and part of that was AED training.  I've never had the occasion to use one, though I've done CPR more than a few times over the years.

I got to thinking, in the interests of survival, that having an AED might not be a bad thing.  I don't live very close to emergency services and if someone (myself included) were to have a cardiac event at my home an AED is probably the best chance for their survival.

Pricing them online it looks like they start at $1200 and go up.  For some reason buying the cheapest one available just doesn't sit right with me for something like this, but I don't really know anything about them.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:11:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont, but do you need a prescription for one in your state?  Willing to do p.m. On it?  What questions do you have?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:14:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I dont, but do you need a prescription for one in your state?  Willing to do p.m. On it?  What questions do you have?
View Quote

I don't believe a prescription is necessary but I must admit, that never even crossed my mind.

My only real question is what difference, if any, does the brand and model make?  

I feel like a newb asking what AR to buy...  I'm not even sure what to ask.

ETA:  A PM is fine if there is something you don't want to share in the thread.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:22:43 PM EDT
[#3]
You do not need a prescription to purchase one.
When I was looking into getting one, one of the reps was a customer of mine and she said the best deals are on refurbs. The batteries have a shelf life and many places trade in for new instead of replacing batteries. The refurbs are the ones with new batteries fitted, but are often slightly older models but often have the latest software also installed.
I never got one, but would like to have one when the financial situation changes for the better.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:43:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Depending on the State you live in you may need the prescription, however the salesman will set you up with a Doc that will write it. Get a service agreement if you can afford it. I would talk with your local EMS and find out what the paramedics carry in the way of brand of cardiac monitor/defibrillator. I would buy the same brand. That way your defib pads are compatible. they just come in and plug into your pads and continue. I am very partial to Physio Control / Medtronics. They are the more expensive but I have been using their products for over 13 years now and they are the best. They offer refurbished units too. The problem with any of them is that they are constantly updating and trying to outdate the old ones so you have to buy a new product.
I am 58 yrs old and have been in EMS/Fire/LE for 40 years. I have a LP15 in my take home vehicle and I haven't taught my wife how to use it on me, lol. In my honest opinion living out as far as I do I would spend my money on something else if I had the money.
Good luck!!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:00:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Depending on the State you live in you may need the prescription, however the salesman will set you up with a Doc that will write it. Get a service agreement if you can afford it. I would talk with your local EMS and find out what the paramedics carry in the way of brand of cardiac monitor/defibrillator. I would buy the same brand. That way your defib pads are compatible. they just come in and plug into your pads and continue. I am very partial to Physio Control / Medtronics. They are the more expensive but I have been using their products for over 13 years now and they are the best. They offer refurbished units too. The problem with any of them is that they are constantly updating and trying to outdate the old ones so you have to buy a new product.
I am 58 yrs old and have been in EMS/Fire/LE for 40 years. I have a LP15 in my take home vehicle and I haven't taught my wife how to use it on me, lol. In my honest opinion living out as far as I do I would spend my money on something else if I had the money.
Good luck!!!
View Quote

Zoll and Lifepak are also good brands, not sure if they have AED or manual nodels only.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:47:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't have one, but as you probably saw in the course, they are easy to use. Remember to shave off hair where the electrodes are placed if the victim is hairy chested; the kit should always have a disposable razor.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:07:49 AM EDT
[#7]
My mother bought one. It was a refurb. She paid around $600 IIRC.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 8:44:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I carry one, a Phillips, refurb'ed, bought it for $500.
I am a rural Firefighter, so we have stock our own  POV's:

I have it in the window there, so I can see the blinking green light that indicates it is ready to use.

I agree to check your local laws on it.  Sounds like you have , taken the classes and gotten the training with it, Awesome!. An AED + O2 can make a difference
There is a limited window (10 mins. or so) to get it going, for the survival % to stay at the highest level.  You can read about it here:
AED Stats

Cheers,
CT
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:34:31 AM EDT
[#9]
On the topic, how about oxygen?

Who has oxygen, how do you get it, and is welding oxygen the same thing?
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 10:23:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Where would I find a refurbished unit?
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 10:33:04 AM EDT
[#11]
if you do choose to buy one then please make sure you know how/when to use it.
Check with local EMS in your area they can give you a good start
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 10:40:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I have one but it is permanently implanted.

You should get one and let your insurance pay for it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 10:43:53 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Where would I find a refurbished unit?
View Quote
http://www.google.com/search?q=refurbished+AED

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 10:54:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
if you do choose to buy one then please make sure you know how/when to use it.
Check with local EMS in your area they can give you a good start
View Quote

Being a cop I was first trained on them at the academy 11 years ago and get annual refreshers.  Knowing when and how to use them is not a problem, I just don't know about the brands and features so I don't know what is most prudent to buy.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 10:58:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

O2 is a drug and is purchased by prescription except for EMS agencies with standing orders for its administration.  If you have the requisite first aid training, speak to you local EMS about getting authorized to carry some in your POV.

No guarantees with welding oxygen's purity, and I have no idea about regulator compatibility.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 11:14:57 AM EDT
[#16]
My wife has an IUD , does that count?
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 11:38:15 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
O2 is a drug and is purchased by prescription except for EMS agencies with standing orders for its administration.  If you have the requisite first aid training, speak to you local EMS about getting authorized to carry some in your POV.

No guarantees with welding oxygen's purity, and I have no idea about regulator compatibility.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Being as though my wife is now pregnant and has activity asthma, I wonder if I can get a prescription?

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:15:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Being as though my wife is now pregnant and has activity asthma, I wonder if I can get a prescription?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

probably not. O2 doesnt help when the PT isnt moving any air.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:57:14 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a Philips AED at home. It was a gift from Philips after I used one at work to save a coworkers life.  I take it on road trips in case I drop in the middle of nowhere.  The pads and batteries need to be replaces every couple of years and they are pricey.  $65 for the pads and $165 for the battery.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top