Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2013 7:01:56 PM EDT
Since we just got our Wondermill Jr up and going, we decided to do a little baking with some fresh flour. We purchased a bag of hard white ( I keep hard red in LTS because it sprouts, and hard white supposedly won't) since my wife doesn't care for whole wheat to begin with. I then did a combination of good cardio and upper body work cranking out a few pounds of super-fine flour.

A few things I have noticed:

I will be putting a motor on my mill .

Modern recipes DO NOT work well for fresh flour. Making our normal whole wheat bread, instead of a nice ball kneading in the mixer, we had soup. Same amount of everything. Had to add 1/4 cup more flour (on a 1 loaf recipe) to get the dough stiff enough to actually work it. It was still extremely wet. Turned out wonderfully, though! The same thing happened with biscuits, and everything else we have used it for. Seems the flour either absorbs less or has moisture in it. Kind of annoying, since now my wife must re-learn a lot of her recipes.

What are your experiences with fresh ground flour? How have you had to modify recipes?

Oh, and the taste of fresh is AMAZING. Never going back..
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:04:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Defiantly gets back to not just store food, but using it can be a whole different beast.

Even though I can hand crank flour, it would be worth every penny to run the generator for 1/2 hour to make 5-10 pounds of flour.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:25:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Good idea to keep some AP (white) flour on hand to mix with your fresh, ground, wheat.

I eat store bought whole wheat bread regularly, but when I made biscuits with my ground, red-wheat, it was an absolute shock to my system.

A co-worker who is also a tin-foil-hat type, had the same experience. Although he reported severe stomach cramps, in addition to the 2-3 hours of diarrhea.

Gotta ease into it to get used to it at first.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:39:04 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Good idea to keep some AP (white) flour on hand to mix with your fresh, ground, wheat.

I eat store bought whole wheat bread regularly, but when I made biscuits with my ground, red-wheat, it was an absolute shock to my system.

A co-worker who is also a tin-foil-hat type, had the same experience. Although he reported severe stomach cramps, in addition to the 2-3 hours of diarrhea.

View Quote
Have to say we haven't had any of those digestive problems you mention.

Thou hast a weak gut            
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 11:22:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

I like to make soda bread. I cant get used to eating whole-wheat biscuits. Its just... blasphemy. Besides, its blasphemous for us Micks to eat biscuits anyway.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:56:14 PM EDT
[#5]
We sprout hard white all the time. We have also found using just a bit, maybe 15-20%, AP flour helps stiffen your dough up. It's the enhanced gluten.

Get "The Amazing Wheat Book"

We grind a couple pounds a week. By hand. very fine. CLGM. Our current favorite recipe is from the artisian bread in 5 minutes a day book.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:52:52 PM EDT
[#6]
We have the Wondermill Jr. as well,
and yes, it is a lot of hard work to make flour.
I usually do 3-4 cups at a time.

I prefer the Stone burrs to the Stainless.

You definitely have to use recipes written for whole wheat flour.

For the cost of adding a motor to our Wondermill Jr., we plan to just buy a Wondermill.
Two is one, that sort of thing.

I have never had any problems eating whole wheat bread.
But, it is thicker and fills you up a lot faster than the hollow store white breads.

Another thing to look into, if you have not done so, is trying recipes with whole wheat berries.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:10:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

<snip>

For the cost of adding a motor to our Wondermill Jr., we plan to just buy a Wondermill.
Two is one, that sort of thing.

I have never had any problems eating whole wheat bread.
But, it is thicker and fills you up a lot faster than the hollow store white breads.

Another thing to look into, if you have not done so, is trying recipes with whole wheat berries.
View Quote

THIS.  I've followed this path.....The Jr is just the backup now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top