Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2013 6:57:46 PM EDT
I'm putting together a first aid kit.  So far, I have quickclot, epipen, antibiotic ointment, tylenol, compression bandages, gauze, tape, silk sutures, syringe and needles, prilocaine 4% no epi,, needle drivers, gloves, tweezers, scissors, and various bandages.  What else should go in the kit?
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:07:03 PM EDT
[#1]
airway
blood loss
something to imppobilize a broken limb.
torniquet.
space blanket, neosporin and bandaids and tylenol lighter carmex liquid bandaid  moleskin for blisters, anti sting med for bug bites, etc  not everything is life threatening but the little stuff can make a difference.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:15:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Browse the Adventure Medical kits and look at their contents.  They are pretty extensive and give you good ideas if nothing else.

Doc
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:25:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out ITS trauma kits.

Keep only trauma stuff in your trauma kit.

Keep a separate first aid (boo-boo) kit.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:44:39 PM EDT
[#4]
What level of training do you have?

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:42:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Is this kit stationary or portable?  size/weight restrictions? In addition to the current suggestions, I'd like more OTC and topical meds for various ailments.  

Lots of good first aid kit videos online. Look on youtube an USNERDOCS channel at level one and level two first aid kits. Level one is portable and personal, level two is designed for a small group.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:47:40 AM EDT
[#6]
For a first aid:
Eyewash
CPR mask
Moleskin
non-adherent pads
Cohesive dressing material (like vetwrap, or 3M Coban)
Anti-doodoo pills like immodium
4x4" pads
Anti-itch cream
trauma shears

For a trauma kit:

CAT Tourniquet
Some type of chest seal (Hyfin or HALO)
Clotting material
trauma shears
Burn dressing

Above all else, if you don't already, get some training.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:56:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm putting together a first aid kit.  So far, I have quickclot, epipen, antibiotic ointment, tylenol, compression bandages, gauze, tape, silk sutures, syringe and needles, prilocaine 4% no epi,, needle drivers, gloves, tweezers, scissors, and various bandages.  What else should go in the kit?
View Quote

head lamp.  One of each from the OTC medicine aisle.  Band aids.  Bactine.  Povidone iodine.  

How long is the epipen good for?  Benadryl/zyrtec.  

All I can think of for now.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:17:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

General dentist with ACLS training.  I understand the principles of airway management, but have no hands on experience with intubation.  No real trauma experience
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:19:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

head lamp.  One of each from the OTC medicine aisle.  Band aids.  Bactine.  Povidone iodine.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Expiration date is 1 yr out.  It may be better to bring some epi 1:1000 home from the office
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:13:09 AM EDT
[#10]
For our home kits, I just built 2 separate kits: a trauma kit, and a first aid kit.

Trauma kit is for just that; trauma, and nothing else. No band-aids. No useless creams. Everything in there is for life/limb saving work.

Contents off the top of my head (I may miss a few things):

Israeli battle dressing

quick clot

trauma pads of various sizes

multi-trauma pads

gloves

surgical masks

gallon zip loc bag (for limb preservation)

hemostats

bottle contact saline (washing wounds)

airways

chest seals

lots of large gauze pads

tape

ace wrap (securing and/or applying pressure)

foam covered aluminum splint

instant cold packs (heat stroke, limb preservation)

C.A.T.

shears

skin stapler

probably a few more things I forget right now.

First Aid Kit: Has everything else. From band aids to cold packs to OTC ointments. I use a 29" duffel bag, and it is packed pretty tight. I keep a re-stock tote of the extra stuff around to re-fill as needed.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:23:05 AM EDT
[#11]
You'll get better answers if you narrow down what you're using the kit for (home/office/truck/range) and what you're going to keep it in (closet/jump bag/blow out bag).

Here's one thread on the subject:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_18/644558_For_the_uninformed___Base_Level_Med_Kit_explained__Initial_Pricing_2_post__.html&page=1

Some EMT-B training would be great for learning how to use items in the kit (e.g. principles of splinting) and giving you a better idea of what you want to keep in the kit.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:34:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You'll get better answers if you narrow down what you're using the kit for (home/office/truck/range) and what you're going to keep it in (closet/jump bag/blow out bag).

Here's one thread on the subject:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_18/644558_For_the_uninformed___Base_Level_Med_Kit_explained__Initial_Pricing_2_post__.html&page=1

Some EMT-B training would be great for learning how to use items in the kit (e.g. principles of splinting) and giving you a better idea of what you want to keep in the kit.
View Quote

Car based kit I plan on keeping in an extra Grey Ghost pack I have
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:52:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

General dentist with ACLS training.  I understand the principles of airway management, but have no hands on experience with intubation.  No real trauma experience
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about OPA and NPA training/experience?  

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:19:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would be hesitant to place either an oropharyngeal or nasopharyngeal airway.  Doing the procedure on a dummy is a little different than on an unconscious person.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:50:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
For a first aid:

For a trauma kit:

View Quote

This is what I'm finding out. You're looking at 2 kits or a division in one large kit.

One is for booboo's, you've got the poops, or headache.

The other is for OMG!!!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:04:24 AM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

Where's the cavit in your kit?
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:15:23 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm a paramedic and my simple trauma kit contains:
Duct tape
Tourniquet x 2
Super glue
14g IV catheter x 2
20cc syringe
Ziplock baggy x 2
1 roll kerlix

Small, cheap, light, and effective.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:21:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I detest cavit.  There are much better materials for temporization out there.  IRM and ZOE are much better
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:20:07 AM EDT
[#19]
epi in a car isnt going to last long. it is not temp stable and will go south quickly in the temps a car can create. as far as the NPA/OPA they are BLS skills and the only difference is one goes in a PT with a gag reflex(NPA) and on goes in a PT without a gag reflex(OPA).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top