Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2013 3:01:03 PM EDT
I'll start us off with:

Job loss
House fire

extra credit if you post how you are countering those everyday threats.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 3:06:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Teens not doing their chores. When Dad gets home the shit will hit the fan.. How are they prepping?
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 3:16:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Getting in and out of work alive is an everyday challenge. FBI rates us as the most violent city in America per capita 3 years running and it is getting worse.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 3:45:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Retirement.  Either voluntary or not.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 3:48:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 3:57:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 4:06:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 4:15:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Car accident/vehicle disabled or stuck. mild to severe depending on if location is remote or weather is extreme.

Crime. robbery, car jacking, rioting or road rage.

Injury. hunting fishing skiing w/e activity, person or someone close needing medical assistance.

Link Posted: 9/7/2013 4:50:33 PM EDT
[#8]
1.) Job loss

2.) House fire

3.) Weather events

4.) Welfare zombies.

Link Posted: 9/7/2013 5:18:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Weather
Economic
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 6:00:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For about half the population I would imagine divorce is a major disruption of life as you know it. There are ways to prepare for this without believing it will actually happen to you.
View Quote

I'm listening...
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 6:27:37 PM EDT
[#11]
health issues. could be anything from cancer, diabetes or broken bones.

eat healthy
stay fit
safety - glasses, steel toes, gloves
health insurance
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 8:06:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Yep. Health issues. Because without your health, you may not be able to work at any job, including working to survive if SHTF.  

I recently went on a "Paleo" diet. It's something I'm doing for my long term survival.  I'm sold on the theory that the typical American diet laden with sugar, wheat, and other carbs is causing a lot of health problems, including cardiovascular disease, cancer, and
autoimmune diseases.  And what's really interesting is that our government isn't telling us this. Could it be because of the economic interests of certain agribusinesses that produce wheat and soy beans (a known poison)? Naw, it couldn't be that.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 9:49:45 PM EDT
[#13]
My SHTF 3 years ago when I lost my job. It was exactly 3 months before my wife and I were expecting our first child.

I wasn't having much luck on the job hunt so I signed up on eBay and started hitting thrift stores, storage unit auctions, and yard sales looking for stuff to resell. Still doing it to this day while the wife works a regular 9 to 5. Best part is being able to raise my daughter rather than stick her in daycare.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 9:52:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Divorce
Job loss
Death in family
Forced relocation in order to keep job
Economy takes a dump
Health issues
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 10:20:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I was in downtown OKC during the Murrah Bldg bombing....got a call out to my parents before it hit cable news and the phone lines jammed.

sat Down at a BP machine in a wal-mart a few years ago and my BP was 196/112 (lost 45lbs and got on meds so Im fine now)

Lost my house in Moore, OK this past May....closing on a better one in 4 weeks

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 3:13:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Weather/Mother Nature.

Hurricanes, tornadoes, flooding, and earthquakes.

Don't live in tornado alley.

Don't live in hurricane alley.

Don't live in the 100 year floodplain or on an earthquake fault.
View Quote

I'm now living smack dab in the middle of hurricane alley, however our biggest issues would be in the form of flooding and tornados/high winds and power outages.  I don't think there is any area that doesn't have its own "threats".  If not for these there are areas prone to wildfires, drought, blizzards, volcanic activity, severe thunderstorms, damaging hail...you name it.  And then there are man-made potential threats...failing dams, bridges, nuclear power plants, chemical plants and rail transportation, political unrest etc. etc. etc.

Even with insurance, a house fire would be a PITA SHTF.  Retirement and looking for a new job will hit me in a few years.  Health is always a concern although everyone in the family is in great health and a good lifestyle.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 3:20:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Our top 10
Power failure - storm damage - winter – keep generator in order, check/maintain propane supply for back up heat and lights, keep tarps and construction plastic handy, a few 2x4’s, a couple sheets of 4’X 8 OSB, battery headlamps, battery lanterns, supply of AA’s, use a non-damaged portion of home to hole-up, or a tore up construction materials to build an expedient shelter.  Water on hand. O2 detector handy. Set up emergency propane kitchen.  Think about propane and electricity conservation.  Supply of roofing nails and drywall screws.

Power failure winter – same as above. Tarps and plastic to make a smaller room to keep heated.

Power failure - storm damage - summer – Same as above, use a couple small fans, install small window A/C if needed, keep weapons handier,

Power failure summer- same as above.

Job loss- stay valuable, work a little harder, stay a little later, keep a positive attitude, worry about my own duties, in slight times take on more work and own it. Keep at least a 3 month emergency fund, continue to sock money into the 301k, live with paid off vehicles, maintain and improve relationship with spousal/pleasure unit,
Personal accident that results in a disabling injury- being careful is about it. Using safety equipment for eyes, ears and knees, etc etc, emergency fund, stay healthy in the meantime for shorter recovery,

Crime- home invasion, robbery, carjacking, road rage, rioting: live in the country, keep doors locked at night, motion detector lights, avoid driving through certain neighborhoods to/from work, car doors locked, most the time have a handgun under the seat and a rifle in the truck.

Health issues- get exercise, eating better, reduce stress by walking with wife, take time off, set health goals, see Dr’s Sawbones, Rootcanal, & Bigpaws, when scheduled.

Terrorist attack- back up water supply, keep food supply in check, rotate, keep a radio with batteries, plastic sheet/duct tape

Food/ fuel  shortage- go into conservation mode.

Things to add:
Propane water heater/shower, demand pump, 15 gallon container, back up sump pump, term life insurance since we are back under a mortgage, a couple of 100 lb propane tanks, trade in 4 old style BBQ propane tanks, refill 3 BBQ tanks , bump gas storage to 100 gallons over next year, a backup generator, a backup well pump, lose 30 pounds,

Things to keep doing: Keep mouth shut, rotating food and gas supplies, test generator, test propane fridge, propane heaters, cook stoves, etc etc

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:47:29 AM EDT
[#18]
A significant health event or job loss are probably most likely.

To prepare for a health event, have health insurance.  The cost of treating most major health events, whether cancer or a car accident, can be completely ruinous.  You should also know your family history and try to mitigate the things your family seems susceptible to, many diseases are hereditary.  

For job loss, have an emergency fund and try to live beneath your means.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:14:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
health issues. could be anything from cancer, diabetes or broken bones.

eat healthy
stay fit
safety - glasses, steel toes, gloves
health insurance
View Quote

I broke my femur about 6 weeks ago, this was a semi SHTF event for me. I'm getting better and Im very thankful I work for a wonderful company.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 12:11:17 PM EDT
[#20]
This is a meaningful topic of prep for survival.

Unlike so many others -like storing my ammo in zip lock bags or shoe boxes, what saiz the hive... Or the best neck knife for SHTF... Or falling into cactuses...

My contribution is something I saw today as a news article... Drudge linked to it.

Shades of the Great Depression, when vultures 'stole' folks' farms, homes, etc, for pennies on the dollar.

This should be high on our planning radar, for so many different ways we could preyed upon and taken advantage of, when we may not be as 'secure', or older.

THIS is the real deal....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/investigative/2013/09/08/left-with-nothing/

QUOTE-

On the day Bennie Coleman lost his house, the day armed U.S. marshals came to his door and ordered him off the property, he slumped in a folding chair across the street and watched the vestiges of his 76 years hauled to the curb.

Movers carted out his easy chair, his clothes, his television. Next came the things that were closest to his heart: his Marine Corps medals and photographs of his dead wife, Martha. The duplex in Northeast Washington that Coleman bought with cash two decades earlier was emptied and shuttered. By sundown, he had nowhere to go.

All because he didn’t pay a $134 property tax bill.

The retired Marine sergeant lost his house on that summer day two years ago through a tax lien sale — an obscure program run by D.C. government that enlists private investors  COMPLICIT THUGS to help the city recover unpaid taxes.

Part 2 — As federal agents investigated a sweeping bid-rigging scheme at Maryland’s tax auctions, some of those same suspects were in the District, engaging in dozens of rounds of unusual bidding. Coming Monday.

Part 3 — District tax officials have made hundreds of mistakes in recent years by declaring property owners delinquent even after they paid their taxes, forcing them to fight for their homes. Coming Tuesday.

But under the watch of  WITH GENEROUS KICKBACKS FOR local leaders, the program has morphed into a predatory system of debt collection for well-financed, out-of-town companies that turned $500 delinquencies into $5,000 debts — then foreclosed on homes when families couldn’t pay, a Washington Post investigation found.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 2:09:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I would list SHTF events in order of frequency of occurrence for your particular situation. For most people, I'd list them in frequency order as follows:

Fairly common occurrences:
Storms - local, short power outages and damage around the house
Hurricanes/tornadoes - (here there have been two hurricanes in the last 10 years and two tornadoes within 10 miles)
Car wreck- (One vehicle totaled 20 years ago, just got my truck fixed two weeks ago from being hit from behind)

Not frequent, but common occurrences:
Job loss- (some estimates indicate the 75% of all working age people have been involuntarily unemployed at least some portion of their life)
Divorce- (although the oft quoted statistic is 50%, that's misleading as it counts all marriages, including those who can't seem to stay married after their fourth or fifth time)
Major medical issue

Infrequent, not common:
Unexpected loss of spouse
Collapse of economy and/or dollar (sadly, IMHO this has shifted from the 'highly unlikely' category to the 'somewhat likely' category)

Highly unlikely:
Meteor strike
Lightning strike
EMP
Pandemic
Zombie Apocalypse

Another planning tool to consider using is the consequences of these events. Some of the likely consequences are relatively benign and/or short lived. Others can be quite severe. By considering the result as well as the likelihood, you can begin to formulate a strategy that minimizes your total risk (likelihood * severity).

I like something I read about some military mission planners liking to plan in terms of PACE. Primary, Alternate, Contingency, Emergency. Primary and alternate are considered "normal" (like back in WWII when the primary target was covered by clouds, the bomb group would head for the alternate). Contingency is for when there is an event that has occurred which precludes using the Primary or Alternate (like if neither of your gas grills will work because you ran out of propane). Emergency is self explanatory.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:28:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:28:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
As a preventive measure against divorce:   Never tease your wife in front of other people, even if you think she doesn't care.
Try not to make your wife feel unsafe from something you are doing.
Buy a book on communication. It's a small investment in something even the happiest couples need help with.
Start stashing a little cash over time and never tell her about it.
Try to minimize Eliminate your contact with old girlfriends, especially on facebook.

These are just off the top of my head. I'm sure there's other minimally invasive things a person could do to prevent a divorce from upsetting their lives.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
For about half the population I would imagine divorce is a major disruption of life as you know it. There are ways to prepare for this without believing it will actually happen to you.

I'm listening...
As a preventive measure against divorce:   Never tease your wife in front of other people, even if you think she doesn't care.
Try not to make your wife feel unsafe from something you are doing.
Buy a book on communication. It's a small investment in something even the happiest couples need help with.
Start stashing a little cash over time and never tell her about it.
Try to minimize Eliminate your contact with old girlfriends, especially on facebook.

These are just off the top of my head. I'm sure there's other minimally invasive things a person could do to prevent a divorce from upsetting their lives.

This is all very good advice.

In addition,
I do not flirt with any woman except my wife.
I do not get myself into any situation where I am alone with any female other than my wife - at work or otherwise.
- this can cause complications other than a divorce, these days.

and, this one sounds simple, but your wife does not want to hear about your old girlfriends. -even if she says she does, she really does not.

and my wife shows me the same respect by not doing any of those things with old boyfriends or other males.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:52:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This is a meaningful topic of prep for survival.

Unlike so many others -like storing my ammo in zip lock bags or shoe boxes, what saiz the hive... Or the best neck knife for SHTF... Or falling into cactuses...

My contribution is something I saw today as a news article... Drudge linked to it.

Shades of the Great Depression, when vultures 'stole' folks' farms, homes, etc, for pennies on the dollar.

This should be high on our planning radar, for so many different ways we could preyed upon and taken advantage of, when we may not be as 'secure', or older.

THIS is the real deal....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/investigative/2013/09/08/left-with-nothing/
View Quote

and this is why I chuckle when people post that having silver and gold are worthless.
or don't see much value in having a stash of cash.

It is no joke to say the only things guaranteed are death and taxes.

99% of the time, government (Federal, state, or Local) will end up being the biggest threat.
- simply because you have little recourse against them.

You have a better chance dealing with any private company than the government.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:25:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Medical emergencies are a bitch. I ended up with no drivers license for a year and a half, a pacemaker, and a huge hospital bill. Not many hard preps are going to help there - I'd say short and long term disability insurance is the best bet, along with decent health insurance. But that gets expensive as well.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:29:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Home Invasion

My brother and his family went through one and my SIL never fully recovered from brain damage as a result of the attack.  To prepare, I have a very good security system, motion activated outside lights, CCTV system I can access from any TV, iPhone, ipad, or computer on the Internet.  It also FTPs video and pics to remote server so bad guys can never hide.  Then I have proper home defense guns and have taken night fighting classes.

Terrorist Attack (Nuke, Bio, Chem)

We are prepared to bug in or bug out.  A ford expedition with 6x12 enclosed trailer allow us a way to pack heavy if we could not return home for weeks, months or forever.  Otherwise, gear is secured to bug in.

Economic

Here I am poorly prepared.  If we lost jobs we would loose our home but we could survive as gypsies long enough to start over.  The truck and trailer with camping gear at least can help us survive if we had too.

Power Failure

Generator with transfer panel to power key parts of a home.  Fuel cans and supply of fuel.  Add propane stove, grill, and other camp or backpack stove for food and heat.  Kerosene lanterns and oil lamps for light and heat.  Kerosene and propane heaters for real heating needs.

Water Supply issues

We store approx 100 gal of drinking water in a mix of 15 gal HDPE drums and 20l Scepter MWCs.  To this we have several water filters, bleach, crystalline pool shock, plus ways to boil.  Supply issues could be contaminated supply, need to bug out, or anything else.
View Quote

Hmm, I would have said those were the LEAST likely.

My short list is job loss, unplanned pregnancy, house fire, car getting totaled, heart attack/cancer etc

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:53:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Medical emergencies are a bitch. I ended up with no drivers license for a year and a half, a pacemaker, and a huge hospital bill. Not many hard preps are going to help there - I'd say short and long term disability insurance is the best bet, along with decent health insurance. But that gets expensive as well.
View Quote

Buryed in ur front yard they might....

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top