Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/28/2013 8:17:58 PM EDT
For everyone who has been asking since I announced it was coming
the first issue of Be Ready! is both out on shelves and available online.
Feedback has been so positive issue #2 is already in the works.......

If you can't find it at a store near you, it can be ordered online at a higher price
https://store.intermediaoutdoors.com/products.php?product=Shotgun-News-Be-Ready-2013
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 8:56:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks interesting. I'm planning on picking it up.
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 9:15:52 PM EDT
[#2]
what stores can we find it in nationally?
12$ an issue ..
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 9:19:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought two issues last week.  One for me and one for a good friend.

At work I told like minded co-workers who I consider to be friends about the magazine.

I am very pleased with this magazine and am looking forward to the second issue.
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 9:24:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
12$ an issue ..
View Quote

Walmart and any of the large stores which carry magazines should have it.
In stores its quite a bit less than online......
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 12:23:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Interesting. Gonna see if I can find an issue tomorrow at Wally World.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 1:11:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Saw it at Kroger grocery store yesterday. Didn't buy it because I guessed all the info could be found online and in this forum anyway.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 4:24:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I picked it up at the grocery store yesterday.  Just thought I'd see if there is "anything new under the sun".
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 4:37:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I grabbed an issue last week. I was very pleased with the layout of the magazine and the information within. They have done an excellent job of breaking down some key concerns for people looking to prepare for various scenarios, whether it’s an economic collapse or a localized natural disaster. It was also refreshing to page through the articles without an overwhelming number of advertisements. The articles do an excellent job of presenting non bias product options/reviews for your preparedness concerns. I am already eagerly awaiting issue number 2.
Below is a list of the articles held within...

The preparedness mindset (jim Benson)
When it's for keeps: the Go-Bag (J.M. Peterson)
When size matters (Tim Harmsen)
Portable Preparedness: smartphones and tablets as tools (Timothy Yan)
The juice: why you need to store fuel and how to do it (David M. Fortier)
Mobile crisis medicine (Will Dabbs, M.D.)
Books rule when the power goes out (Patrick Sweeney)
Essential Eats:you've got it, but can you eat it? (Patrick Sweeney)
Get your rig disaster-ready (Aaren Anders)
Drink responsibly (Bryce M. Towsley)
Are you prepped for your children? (Scott Harrel)
Discreet rifle carry (James Tarr)
Short wave communications-a "How-To" primer (R.W. Parker)
Power supply build (David M. Fortier)
Alternative power sources for mobile devices (Timothy Yan)
The jerry can (David M. Fortier)
Iprepping: preparedness on the information superhighway (Tim Harmsen)

Link Posted: 8/29/2013 4:57:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I grabbed an issue last week. I was very pleased with the layout of the magazine and the information within. They have done an excellent job of breaking down some key concerns for people looking to prepare for various scenarios, whether it’s an economic collapse or a localized natural disaster. It was also refreshing to page through the articles without an overwhelming number of advertisements. The articles do an excellent job of presenting non bias product options/reviews for your preparedness concerns. I am already eagerly awaiting issue number 2.

View Quote

Lots of familiar names there.....Looks good. I will buy a copy.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 5:16:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Still, 9-10 bucks an issue just kills me.  I guess it is just the way it is.

Doc
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 6:05:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I've been saying for years that a new magazine like this needed to find Jim Benson and bring him on board. Hopefully they made him editor. He's an awesome guy and knows the industry.

If Jim is involved at all, than I know it will be a good magazine.

Lowdown3
Robert Henry
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 9:24:21 AM EDT
[#12]
How about a kindle version? WITH the pictures and advertising left in....
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 11:50:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 12:05:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1   I'd go for that
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 12:08:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've been saying for years that a new magazine like this needed to find Jim Benson and bring him on board. Hopefully they made him editor. He's an awesome guy and knows the industry.

If Jim is involved at all, than I know it will be a good magazine.

Lowdown3
Robert Henry
View Quote

I tracked Jim down and brought him onboard. It was great to work with him again, same ol Jim.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 3:05:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Jim is an awesome guy! Tell him Robert Henry said hello and if he ever has a chance to email me, I'd like to catch up with him.
Thanks and good luck with the new magazine!

Robert
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 5:49:31 PM EDT
[#17]
"Shoulder-stocked Glock?"

Hhhmmm....

I love the cover pic.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 7:45:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep a look out for it in my area.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 11:00:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Cool!  I quit buying magazines a good while ago because I'd gotten so jaded with the gun-rags, but this topic is needed enough that I'll buy a copy just to show some support.  If it's good, then I'll keep buying it!

Thanks for the heads up David!
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 1:38:05 AM EDT
[#20]
gonna pick up a copy today!
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 4:14:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Very interesting looking.  Will put on my list to pick up soon, and will also look at advertising.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:25:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 10:46:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
12$ an issue ..

I will look for it. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 10:54:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
looks good, but i hate to say this, 12 bucks an issue is simply insane for information i can readily already get for free in generally better detail.

print magazines are dying for a reason.
View Quote

Thanks for the compliment.
I don't know why they sell it for so much online, cover price is $8.99 which is the standard cover price for
annuals from both the company I work for and our competition.

I know it is hard for some to believe, but while certain segments of print are withering, others are doing very well.
We are breaking sales records time and time again with our annuals. So while print 'may be dying' our sales
are off the charts. My company owns its own TV network and it would be nice to see a very well done, and serious
TV show on prepping. Not the doom and gloom and end of this world stuff, but useful stuff. Different forms of media compliment
each other, TV, internet, print.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 10:57:23 AM EDT
[#25]
$12.  Unless it comes with a $8 off coupon, screw that.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 10:58:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Here is a piece just posted by Tim at the Military Arms Channel
http://www.thebangswitch.com/be-ready-hits-the-stands/

Tim is very well known and respected on the internet, for his blog and videos.
Now he's in print as well. Imagine that, a internet person in print.....

Print, internet whatever doesn't matter.......what matters is good quality useful information that you can use.
Hopefully you will find Be Ready! to be another source.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 4:53:03 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

$12.  Unless it comes with a $8 off coupon, screw that.
View Quote
but you won't be ready until you read it. I'm mean its not like its 50 lbs of rice or anything.

It's probably the same as cozmo is to "pretty" women. It's not so much as what the information is, as it's how it makes you feel about yourself.

Link Posted: 8/30/2013 6:27:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 6:41:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Would that be the same Pat Sweeney who has written at least 2 books about the AR-15 rifle?
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 7:41:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

You do understand that a publication makes most of its money from advertising,  right?

Without it, they'd have never gone to press.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 12:54:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I don't know why they sell it for so much online, cover price is $8.99 which is the standard cover price for

I know it is hard for some to believe, but while certain segments of print are withering, others are doing very well.
We are breaking sales records time and time again with our annuals. So while print 'may be dying' our sales
are off the charts. My company owns its own TV network and it would be nice to see a very well done, and serious
TV show on prepping. Not the doom and gloom and end of this world stuff, but useful stuff.
Different forms of media compliment
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
looks good, but i hate to say this, 12 bucks an issue is simply insane for information i can readily already get for free in generally better detail.

print magazines are dying for a reason.

TV show on prepping. Not the doom and gloom and end of this world stuff, but useful stuff.
Different forms of media compliment

+1 on the TV show.

I've got the mag, and I like it.  Even though a lot of the info is familiar to me - as it probably is for just about everybody in this forum - I still like flipping through a hardcopy magazine once and a while.  I thought this was one was pretty well done.  At this point I don't really expect anything new and exciting from ANY preparedness-related publication, because, let's face it, it's not rocket science.  The basic principals of being prepared aren't going to change much.

For those complaining about the $$, take a look at the prices of some of the other 'special interest' mags on the shelf.  You'll spend this much or more on magazines about quilting, barbeque ribs, tattoos, guns (~ahem~)... they are all about the same.  Can't fault the publisher for pricing at market rates.  The online price is probably a bit high, but note it includes "free" shipping.  OK so that's a little deceptive, but again not exactly unheard-of these days.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 4:22:39 AM EDT
[#32]
A good TV show would indeed be welcome, but aside from (maybe) The Blaze, who would touch it? They just picked up "Three Gun Nation" and another, similar show, so maybe they'd be open to a well-produced, intelligent prepping show. (The other prepping show was "reality-based" and, I think, a train wreck!)

Also, the "shoot em' up/blow 'em up" nonsense on DDPR's is reaching new levels of unrealistic absurdity, IMHO. How 'bout discussing/demonstrating how & where to post LP/OPs - or, how to create & maintain effective camo in and around those and other defensive positions? How 'bout establishing fields of fire and forcing your enemy into the killing-zone? How 'bout comms and developing one's own, absolutely-unbreakable-codes? How about camouflaging your garden (sound crazy? See if you think so after you've been raided!)? How about explaining "force multipliers"? what they are, how they're deployed?

The last episode (I think) of Doomsday Idiots had a couple mis-matched kids putting up a Predator-style, log-swing booby trap. Okay. That's fine. But, how about explaining where the best to set up such a thing is - or, how to make the triggers? Or, how to create a hive or cluster of such traps - with the intention  (well-thought-out) of bashing/thrashing/stabbing/snaring/trapping - hurting badly - those who run to the aid of a stricken "comrade" (seeing/identifying the "the quickest, easiest paths" they'd likely take to go to his/her aid and then, setting traps there)? or, how to intentionally set up obstacles to guide 'em into traps?

Can simple demo be explained - legally and w/o liability to publishers and/or producers? disclaimers enough? (If not, might someone explain why other aspects of prepping are okay [like those mentioned above]? I'm serious and don't mean to get us too far off-topic. Thanks!)

How about trapping various game? (Hell! You could make a whole show just on that!) How 'bout safely handling game after it's killed? or, how to dispatch trapped game; quickly, quietly, safely and efficiently? What traps to buy now, components for various snares and such... how to improvise.

How about sanitation in the field?

How about classes - ongoing - on canning? on keeping fresh produce? on raising livestock (subtly: with as small a footprint as possible)? on smoking/smokehouse designs? on primitive dehydrating techniques?

I'd guess these are all topics your magazine will cover, but I'm frustrated by TV shows ignoring the education aspect of prepping. You know? Just telling viewers/readers to accumulate as much "stuff" as possible doesn't cut it - and can, in fact, hinder efforts to learn how to use what they've got! This must be stressed.

I hope to pick up a copy of your magazine today. Thank you for putting it together! (I used to help my brother with a Civil War periodical, so I know a little of what it takes to do what you're doing! Best wishes it's a success!) Please, consider some of what I've mentioned and think about contiguous "lessons" and recurring themes. I remember well, as a kid, eagerly flipping pages till I found the "This Happened to Me!" section of "Outdoor Life". Something along those lines might be cool, you know?

I know I've gone on far too long, but I've been frustrated by what's out there for a long time and needed to vent!

Thanks again - and good luck!
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 4:47:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 4:49:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 5:20:45 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

this, the really sad thing is you can buy books with real detailed information for the same price as a fluff magazine.

View Quote
its cheaper on the net

There is a ton of actual experience on the net with practical application that just a handful of men writing a mag will NEVER be able to capture. You get the mag, get a couple ideas after reading on the crapper then toss it. The net you can get millions of actual people who been there done that in a fluid environment RFN. you also get real time feedback

Concept is okay but a magazine is gone the way of the double knit

Link Posted: 8/31/2013 5:50:57 AM EDT
[#36]
We picked one up to check out. Pretty sure it'll be like most magazines, just an excuse to advertise to a target audience. But neat to check out, anyways.
We run a little inn on the coast and I figure to toss it out on the magazine table and see what kindof interest it generates from whom. Might be good for striking up a conversation with guests. Who knows.  d:^)  Schneeks..
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 5:59:22 AM EDT
[#37]
wow "living ready" and now "be ready"

I guess I'll be ready
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 12:21:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 1:12:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Picked it up at the Gander Mountain that just opened near me...pretty interesting so far.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 1:42:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Any electronic versions?   I'd pay for a Kindle copy or even a PDF copy.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 2:48:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
A good TV show would indeed be welcome, but aside from (maybe) The Blaze, who would touch it? They just picked up "Three Gun Nation" and another, similar show, so maybe they'd be open to a well-produced, intelligent prepping show. (The other prepping show was "reality-based" and, I think, a train wreck!)

Also, the "shoot em' up/blow 'em up" nonsense on DDPR's is reaching new levels of unrealistic absurdity, IMHO. How 'bout discussing/demonstrating how & where to post LP/OPs - or, how to create & maintain effective camo in and around those and other defensive positions? How 'bout establishing fields of fire and forcing your enemy into the killing-zone? How 'bout comms and developing one's own, absolutely-unbreakable-codes? How about camouflaging your garden (sound crazy? See if you think so after you've been raided!)? How about explaining "force multipliers"? what they are, how they're deployed?

The last episode (I think) of Doomsday Idiots had a couple mis-matched kids putting up a Predator-style, log-swing booby trap. Okay. That's fine. But, how about explaining where the best to set up such a thing is - or, how to make the triggers? Or, how to create a hive or cluster of such traps - with the intention  (well-thought-out) of bashing/thrashing/stabbing/snaring/trapping - hurting badly - those who run to the aid of a stricken "comrade" (seeing/identifying the "the quickest, easiest paths" they'd likely take to go to his/her aid and then, setting traps there)? or, how to intentionally set up obstacles to guide 'em into traps?

Can simple demo be explained - legally and w/o liability to publishers and/or producers? disclaimers enough? (If not, might someone explain why other aspects of prepping are okay [like those mentioned above]? I'm serious and don't mean to get us too far off-topic. Thanks!)

How about trapping various game? (Hell! You could make a whole show just on that!) How 'bout safely handling game after it's killed? or, how to dispatch trapped game; quickly, quietly, safely and efficiently? What traps to buy now, components for various snares and such... how to improvise.

How about classes - ongoing - on canning? on keeping fresh produce? on raising livestock (subtly: with as small a footprint as possible)? on smoking/smokehouse designs? on primitive dehydrating techniques?

I'd guess these are all topics your magazine will cover, but I'm frustrated by TV shows ignoring the education aspect of prepping. You know? Just telling viewers/readers to accumulate as much "stuff" as possible doesn't cut it - and can, in fact, hinder efforts to learn how to use what they've got! This must be stressed.

I hope to pick up a copy of your magazine today. Thank you for putting it together! (I used to help my brother with a Civil War periodical, so I know a little of what it takes to do what you're doing! Best wishes it's a success!) Please, consider some of what I've mentioned and think about contiguous "lessons" and recurring themes. I remember well, as a kid, eagerly flipping pages till I found the "This Happened to Me!" section of "Outdoor Life". Something along those lines might be cool, you know?

I know I've gone on far too long, but I've been frustrated by what's out there for a long time and needed to vent!

View Quote

Excellent idea, and I agree that The Blaze channel would be a perfect match for it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 7:56:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
A good TV show would indeed be welcome, but aside from (maybe) The Blaze, who would touch it?
View Quote

Who would touch it? It's not really an issue when you own an entire TV network............

Link Posted: 8/31/2013 7:58:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Would that be the same Pat Sweeney who has written at least 2 books about the AR-15 rifle?
View Quote

Yes,
I think he has written five books on the AR and I've lost track of all the others...........
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 8:01:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You do understand that a publication makes most of its money from advertising,  right?

View Quote

When I did our first Book of the AK47 there were six ads in the entire magazine.
It sold off the charts..........
We had ZERO advertising for Be Ready when we started, we just put together a good piece
and people have been very pleased with it. We'll add 34 pages to the next issue, add some
additional qualified writers and work hard to make the next issue even better.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 8:05:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

When I did our first Book of the AK47 there were six ads in the entire magazine.
We had ZERO advertising for Be Ready when we started, we just put together a good piece
and people have been very pleased with it. We'll add 34 pages to the next issue, add some
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like a good plan! I enjoy reading these kind of magazines. Keep them coming!
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 8:10:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks for the input and taking the time to share all your thoughts.
Much appreciated.

I agree with you on the education aspect. There is a lot which could be done, and done in such a way to share useful knowledge.
Unfortunately the shows out there have gone down a different path. But it doesn't have to be that way.
There are so many different things you could do.........its the same with a magazine or a website.
We have our first issue out, and response has been so positive (especially by professionals inside the industry)
that we are currently working on issue #2.
I'll continue to look for additional writers and see where things go.

I'm sure not everyone will like it, but that's life.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 8:22:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
its cheaper on the net

There is a ton of actual experience on the net with practical application that just a handful of men writing a mag will NEVER be able to capture. You get the mag, get a couple ideas after reading on the crapper then toss it. The net you can get millions of actual people who been there done that in a fluid environment RFN. you also get real time feedback

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this, the really sad thing is you can buy books with real detailed information for the same price as a fluff magazine.
its cheaper on the net

I agree that the interweb is an extremely useful tool, and I use it all the time to find info.
So we agree on that.
I agree with you on that to the point where I had Tim Harmsen of the Military Arms Channel/the bangswitch blog
write an entire feature article on the best prepping sites on the web so people can go to sites they might not be aware of
for additional info and research. The web is a great resource.

But

The company I work for has many internet sites and a TV network along with print.
They each bring something to the table. And while it is very hip and fashionable to declare
print dead, our sales figures state something different. There is still a place for print, maybe not in
your home, but print is hardly dead. Our SIP division is so successful its shocking.
Print......It's just another resource........

Link Posted: 9/1/2013 5:40:28 PM EDT
[#48]
8.99 at Barnes & Noble At this price you think it would be printed on better paper like Recoil Magazine
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 7:48:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yes,
I think he has written five books on the AR and I've lost track of all the others...........
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes,

He's a good writer.

I enjoyed the two AR books of his I've read.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:16:33 PM EDT
[#50]
I picked up a copy, read it and really liked it.

Info-dense magazines with pertinent and well, edited articles are a joy to read. I agree that there is a lot of info out there on the internet, but it is a chore separating the kernels of wheat from the mountains of chaff.

Are you guys accepting submissions? I wrote a bit for the old ASG and still do for the Complete Survivalist, but would love to submit some work for Be Ready.

Please feel free to drop me a PM if you'd rather not post.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top