Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2013 5:03:08 PM EDT
So I have been looking for other ideas of good cheap dry items that can be bought in bulk I'm also interested in the nutrition value also. I know we have Bean,Rice,Lentils maybe Couscous. I have not had it or know much about it is why I say maybe.

I know there must be other foods out there that fit this and would like to know more and try them out. I was told of quinoa I have not tried it yet or know if it would work. Just looking for ideas and if you have a great recipe share it maybe we can make a cookbook PDF?
Link Posted: 8/20/2013 5:38:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Couscous is pasta, so it will keep a long time, probably not as long as the other things you list.

You could add wheat berries to your list.  They can be ground for flour, sprouted for 'greens', or soaked overnight then boiled for cereal.  They are the cheapest long term storage food you can get.

<edit> Quinoa is supposed to be very nutritious, but it is not cheap.
Other cheap grains are whole oats, corn, buckwheat, barley.   Bulgar wheat is a little more expensive but the advantage is that it cooks up fast like white rice.
Link Posted: 8/20/2013 5:40:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Couscous is pasta.

Add hamburger helpers and stuffing mix.  Both of these can really stretch a meal and make it more filling while adding carbs too.

Meatloaf:

2 pounds ground beef

1 box Stuffing mix

splash of milk

1 egg

1/3 cup BBQ sauce mixed in meat.

Make into a rectangle shape. slather with more BBQ sauce. Put it on a pan. Cook 40 mins at 350.

Gotta use Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce or you just as well have to chuck the whole mess in the trash.

Link Posted: 8/20/2013 6:43:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Macaroni and/or spaghetti have a long shelf life when packed properly.

Oats are pretty nutritional.
You can store rolled oats and also oat groats.
Oat groats are oat berries. They can be ground into oat flour or cooked and used a lot like rice.
Link Posted: 8/20/2013 6:44:46 PM EDT
[#4]
you might try popcorn... most recommend a couple day cold soak in the deep freeze to kill weevils .... I vacuum pack in Ball/Mason jars... a little more expensive than 5 gal buckets and mylar, but I'm single, and offers me a lot of utility... vacuum dry pack allows you to do pasta, home dehydrated fruit, raisins, potato buds, chicken bouillon, dried onion/garlic, chocolate chips etc... if you have not seen the Wendy DeWitt video, I would suggest it..

to add options to your beans... sprouting beans offers a green leafy food source in about 5 days... try it and see what you prefer...pinto beans are a little bitter compared to great northern... etc...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOLuIApyNPc
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 3:02:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Here you go.

http://www.cheap-bastid-cooks.com/
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 3:27:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here you go.

http://www.cheap-bastid-cooks.com/
View Quote

Not sure any of those foods are good for LTS.
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 4:11:51 AM EDT
[#7]
If some kind soul would please bring back my thread on "Scotch Broth" it's been sent to the archives.
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 5:23:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If some kind soul would please bring back my thread on "Scotch Broth" it's been sent to the archives.
View Quote

I do not think you can bring them back from the archives.

However, here is a link to it:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/664801_Scotch_broth_mix.html
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 8:15:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Not what you were looking for? but a discount on freeze dried foods.. dried foods
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 8:23:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I love cous cous. I regularly buy some french cous cous (the little stuff) at a grocery store for $1.99 lb in the bulk section, but I have been able to find it in bulk any cheaper.

My gf eats quinoa and I think it's terrible. When she mixes it with rice and adds a lot of flavoring, it helps mask the bitterness, but that shit sucks IMHO

Stick with the basics at first: rice, beans, pasta, sugar, salt, flour (I keep flour, LDS says it will last 10 years, screw that grain mill stuff)

The hardest thing to stock is oils. Shortening is supposed to last on the shelf for a long time, but in my experience it's only good for a few years.

I buy powdered butter and shortening for this reason.

Speed
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 11:59:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Wife and I are trying to keep are meals as close to the caveman diet as we can so we are trying not to use pasta or other items. Hell it worked for the caveman for how long so it should work for us for how long in SHTF.
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 12:09:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My gf eats quinoa and I think it's terrible.
Speed
View Quote

I agree, but my wife likes it and therefore we stock it in small quantities. I think it tastes like shit, but then again, with some Red Feather, and some Tabasco, its edible.

Hunger is the best spice.
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 12:09:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Wife and I are trying to keep are meals as close to the caveman diet as we can so we are trying not to use pasta or other items. Hell it worked for the caveman for how long so it should work for us for how long in SHTF.
View Quote

You know cavemen did not eat rice or beans, right?
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 12:17:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was going to post another time to add something of value to this thread until I saw Wishy post this.

Tay, I will only say this: If you want caveman food on the cheap, better get used to foraging - all I can say. Fruits. Nuts. Berries. Bugs. Grasses.

Do some sprouting. Get used to the flatulence.

Personally, I'd rather do rice and beans, and add whatever I scrounge and forage and grow.

Learn hydroponics. Stockpile seeds.
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 12:32:20 PM EDT
[#15]
You guys are making me hungry!

Don't forget seasonings!  Taco, chili, sugar, salt,pepper, etc.
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 12:33:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I was going to post another time to add something of value to this thread until I saw Wishy post this.

Tay, I will only say this: If you want caveman food on the cheap, better get used to foraging - all I can say. Fruits. Nuts. Berries. Bugs. Grasses.

Personally, I'd rather do rice and beans, and add whatever I scrounge and forage and grow.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, but I got confused.
He stores rice & beans, but does not want pasta because he wants to do the caveman diet... aka paleo.

Link Posted: 8/24/2013 4:19:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

He stores rice & beans, but does not want pasta because he wants to do the caveman diet... aka paleo

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He stores rice & beans, but does not want pasta because he wants to do the caveman diet... aka paleo

Can you grow pasta or find it wild? I can grow or find rice and beans in the wild yes not so much caveman but it could have been eaten by them! I'm not looking for refined simple carbs! Or starch both what pasta has! Pasta does not grow on trees!
Link Posted: 8/24/2013 7:13:46 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Can you grow pasta or find it wild? I can grow or find rice and beans in the wild yes not so much caveman but it could have been eaten by them! I'm not looking for refined simple carbs! Or starch both what pasta has! Pasta does not grow on trees!

View Quote
Last thread you had meals in bags/can, so now your paleo???

I guess you don't want wheat berries then?

Link Posted: 8/24/2013 8:31:01 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/29/2013 8:13:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats nice might make up a single batch just to see how the family likes it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:35:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Paleo calls for no grains, no dairy, no sugars, no vegetable oils and no legumes.  Sounds a little restrictive at first but I've lost 3 belt notches in two months and I feel Great!

I found a great Paleo recipe book with a ton of options.  It's really made it pretty easy.

http://getleandiet.net
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:39:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Is spam part of the paleo diet?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:23:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Is spam part of the paleo diet?
View Quote

I don't see why not.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:27:58 AM EDT
[#24]
I will tell you what I think. Most Americans are used to the hamburger helper theory of preparing food. conveneince packed foods are very expensive. HH is really nothing more than some pasta and seasonings, along with some thickener. You can make your own that tastes like what you want and is just as easy to make, and is much less costly.

There are a lot of foods you can store that are just plain dirt cheap, but require a little more preparation than convenience packed foods.

Grains - including rice, wheat, oats

Pasta - all kinds of options here

Dried beans and peas (and other legumes)

Personally, I no longer store these kind of foods since I went on a low carb diet.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top