Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2013 3:27:41 PM EDT
My search foo didn't turn anything up, but wondering about some uses for empty wine bottles (1.5 liters).  My wife likes a glass or three of wine once in a while and I haven’t dumped several empty bottles (the larger 1.5 liter glass bottles); I typically take glass into work and dump them in the recycle bin (Army post).  

We have our own well (which is inside the house) and we’re set for water with or without electricity.  I’m sure these bottles would be great for long term storage; not a ton of water but we buy a few bottles every other week and we do have the place to store them.  I was just wondering what else they could be used for.  Being clear bottles, you would need caution as to light exposure.  Any ideas?  I need another hobby like a hole in the head, but making wine would be a good idea...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 4:09:30 PM EDT
[#1]

I found a dude that used  a 3/4 pex fitting and a tiki wick to make a cheap Tiki torch. Insert into clean bottle. Fill with citronella  lamp oil and set it up so it can't tip over.  

Link Posted: 7/28/2013 4:12:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I found a dude that used  a 3/4 pex fitting and a tiki wick to make a cheap Tiki torch. Insert into clean bottle. Fill with citronella  lamp oil and set it up so it can't tip over.  

View Quote

Damn, that Tiki torch would last a week!

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 4:25:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm an avid wine drinker. I'd too be interested in a use for the empties.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 5:19:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I would use the empties to store homemade flavored vinegars, Homemade vanilla extract etc.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 5:22:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Umm.... Fill them with wine?

Making your own wine is pretty damn easy.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 5:22:55 PM EDT
[#6]
We have one from our rehearsal dinner that someone baked in a kiln, flattened, and turned it into a spoon rest...

Other than other liquid storage, molotov cocktails, candle holders and maybe for ship in a bottle projects, not too sure.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 5:24:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Ditto.. I put my peppers\w vinegar for my collards. Going to use some this year for a bbq sauce I have worked out, and I am going to use wine bottles as the vessel to gift at Christmas.

Quoted:
I would use the empties to store homemade flavored vinegars, Homemade vanilla extract etc.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/28/2013 5:40:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Umm.... Fill them with wine?

Making your own wine is pretty damn easy.
View Quote

This was the first thing that came to mind.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 9:38:05 PM EDT
[#9]
If they're the ones with indented bottoms, I guess you could follow Fankford Arsenal improvised munition handbook instructions (TM 31-210) and use them as preformed containers for your shaped charges.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 9:43:54 PM EDT
[#10]
My wife has edged the flower garden in them neck down and today we just finished up a bottle tree.  I can only hope that's the end of empty bottles.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 11:07:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Try my hand at posting pictures.

Garden

Quick learner had her burn two rods before the real thing.

Finished product

Link Posted: 7/29/2013 12:01:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Set them neck down in mortar along the top of your walls and then come back and break the bottoms off.
Broken glass is great for area denial and it doesn't rust, weather or dull with age.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 12:52:31 AM EDT
[#13]
First thing that came to my mind was molotov cocktails, but I will have to look into using them as garden edging!!
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 1:02:20 AM EDT
[#14]
I like the idea of storing vinegar; this is one item that will be extremely beneficial post Wal Mart era and electricity...just being able to disinfect and preserve are often overlooked!  Great idea.

Making our own wine...duh.  I've heard this is easier than beer, it might make a great winter project this year.

Quoted:
My wife has edged the flower garden in them neck down and today we just finished up a bottle tree.  I can only hope that's the end of empty bottles.
View Quote

That is pretty cool!

Quoted:
Set them neck down in mortar along the top of your walls and then come back and break the bottoms off.
Broken glass is great for area denial and it doesn't rust, weather or dull with age.
View Quote

Molotov cocktail, shaped charge and wall-climbing deterrent: the Molotov is the easiest, shape charge the most fun and I've seen the glass shards imbedded on top of walls surrounding homes in South America...that would be quite effective!

Great ideas all, thanks...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 4:53:48 AM EDT
[#15]
You are from GA. So fill them with (home made):
Blackberry wine
Apple wine
Peach wine
Blueberry wine

Or you can go old shcool and make a bottle tree.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 6:17:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Make great shrapnel! No really it does but I'd use it as a lamp nice long lasting lamp for power outage or anything else if all else you have a pre made molvik cocktail!
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 7:39:59 AM EDT
[#17]
I've been saving them for years.

As long as the corks are in tact. I plan on using them for home made wine as well as homebrew.

We typically only average about 1 a month though.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 8:14:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Anybody want to start a homemade wine thread?
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 8:54:17 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I've been saving them for years.

As long as the corks are in tact. I plan on using them for home made wine as well as homebrew.

We typically only average about 1 a month though.
View Quote
never reuse corks.....contamination will likely occur. Been making homemade wine for over 15 years...corks are cheap as is a wine corker

Link Posted: 7/29/2013 11:57:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 12:11:36 PM EDT
[#21]
If some of the bottles have thick flat bottoms, you could flint knap them into arrow points.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 12:21:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 1:05:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Buy a wine bottle cutter and make these.  My wife bought a set at a farmers market and she drinks wine.  Could have bought the cutter for less than she paid for 4 glasses.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 1:21:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Anybody want to start a homemade wine thread?
View Quote

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_1/171_Home_Brewing.html
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 1:27:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Keep in dark. Any light will promote growth
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 1:30:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Buy a wine bottle cutter and make these.  My wife bought a set at a farmers market and she drinks wine.  Could have bought the cutter for less than she paid for 4 glasses.
View Quote

You actually don't need wine bottle cutter. I've seen this done by soaking a string in kero and wrapping it around the bottle where you want it "cut" . You then light the string, let it burn out and then give it a sharp smack and it will cleanly break off at the place where you wrapped the string.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 1:58:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Great input all, thanks.  Looks like I'll just start storing them away and look into making wine and vinegar!  I'll just make sure the don't get stored together  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 5:34:15 PM EDT
[#28]
I use the empty bottles for the wine I make. I am now up 120 bottles and I plan on making around 120 more.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 5:52:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 5:06:12 AM EDT
[#30]
fill with water, and shove upside down in a potted plant. It will water the plant over next few days.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 7:43:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Great input all, thanks.  Looks like I'll just start storing them away and look into making wine and vinegar!  I'll just make sure the don't get stored together  

ROCK6
View Quote

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top