Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2013 12:51:57 AM EDT
So Spring is here for most that is the time to start camping and getting to the outdoors! As we all know fire is one of the key tools in survival and camping so I thought I'd do something as we all look for easy fire starting tools and that is to get a collection of fire starting tools and try them out see how long a Zippo will last on one fuel up, BBQ Flint Fire Striker. Fire Steel , Bic lighters and other fire starting tools that I hope you all can help me by telling me about them!

Yes how well each work in wet, cold and wind, also how long each one that needs a fuel will last and how many times you can light it before the flint gives out! Also how fast does it light your fire?

Needing some help and advice here on problems and pros that you have had with past lighters or fire starting tool's as I'd like to  place them all to a test and see how well they all work and what one would be the to buy in bulk or have in your BOB!

Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 1:11:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I carry a bic or two when I hike for emergencies, but i've almost entirely switched to a firesteel for everything from lighting my stove to lighting campfires, Moisture does nothing to it. You can use it tens of thousands of times.Cheap. You DO have to think ahead some and carry some tinder that is appropriate (vaseline soaked cotton balls in my case). If you end up in the woods with a firesteel and didn't bring tinder (or know where to find natural tinders that work), you can still get fire...but it's going to be a lot more difficult.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 1:31:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I carry a bic or two when I hike for emergencies, but i've almost entirely switched to a firesteel for everything from lighting my stove to lighting campfires, Moisture does nothing to it. You can use it tens of thousands of times.Cheap. You DO have to think ahead some and carry some tinder that is appropriate (vaseline soaked cotton balls in my case). If you end up in the woods with a firesteel and didn't bring tinder (or know where to find natural tinders that work), you can still get fire...but it's going to be a lot more difficult.

The boys in our Scout troop start almost all their fires with either a firesteel or a burn glass. The 2nd is often easier, but it doesn't work worth a darn if there's cloud cover.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 1:52:35 AM EDT
[#3]
i just use these in order-

bic,matches,firesteel,blastmatch

imho i think the blast match an steel are the hardest for most as technique comes into play.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 1:55:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll admit I use the firesteel more to maintain proficiency with it than ease of use. A bic is going to work fine most of the time, and you get instant flame instead of sparks. Just don't get it wet!

The way I see it is...if I can start a fire with a firesteel, starting one in an emergency with a bic if the firesteel fails will be a piece of cake.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 4:59:30 AM EDT
[#5]
A fire steel and a vaseline soaked cotton ball will get a rager going pretty fast.

I don't break those out very often though,  just a small piece of dryer lint usually works just fine.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 5:17:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A fire steel and a vaseline soaked cotton ball will get a rager going pretty fast.

I don't break those out very often though,  just a small piece of dryer lint usually works just fine.

My GF thought I was nuts because I save dryer lint until she saw how easily it will burn.  I keep a ziplock bag full in various bags, vehicles, my boat, etc.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 5:45:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My GF thought I was nuts because I save dryer lint until she saw how easily it will burn.  I keep a ziplock bag full in various bags, vehicles, my boat, etc.

Thanks for the idea.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 5:55:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Tayous:

Over the years I tried a lot of different things.  I still tend to pack two or three different means of fire starting in my kits.  However, the one absolute best fire starter I've encountered is a Strike Force synthetic flint & steel.

Bics and other lighters crap out, run out of fuel, stop sparking, etc.  Matches get used up or wet.  Pistons are toys.  There are other flint systems out there, but they often have fragile components that break, or have small diameter flints that crap out. All have limits.

I like the strike force for a few reasons.  It is self contained:  It has storage room for tinder (I use petro jelly/cotton balls and pack em in tight).  The flint is large diameter and is therefore less susceptible to breakage or wearing out.  It's stone axe simple, with no fragile components.  And best of all, it throws a huge shower of large, hot sparks, making it easier to ignite marginal tinder.  

End of the world, with no hope of resupply, and my go to starter is unquestionably the strike force.  Long after butane has been used up, smaller flints have worn out, commerical tinder is gone, the strike force will be lighting fires for years to come.

Link Posted: 3/20/2013 6:12:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
i just use these in order-
bic,matches,firesteel,blastmatch

imho i think the blast match an steel are the hardest for most as technique comes into play.

Same same here.

Link Posted: 3/20/2013 7:45:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Tayous:

Over the years I tried a lot of different things. I still tend to pack two or three different means of fire starting in my kits.  However, the one absolute best fire starter I've encountered is a Strike Force synthetic flint & steel.

Bics and other lighters crap out, run out of fuel, stop sparking, etc.  Matches get used up or wet.  Pistons are toys.  There are other flint systems out there, but they often have fragile components that break, or have small diameter flints that crap out. All have limits.

I like the strike force for a few reasons.  It is self contained:  It has storage room for tinder (I use petro jelly/cotton balls and pack em in tight).  The flint is large diameter and is therefore less susceptible to breakage or wearing out.  It's stone axe simple, with no fragile components.  And best of all, it throws a huge shower of large, hot sparks, making it easier to ignite marginal tinder.  

End of the world, with no hope of resupply, and my go to starter is unquestionably the strike force.  Long after butane has been used up, smaller flints have worn out, commerical tinder is gone, the strike force will be lighting fires for years to come.

Good post. I'd like to reiterate the red and add that carried tinder is often overlooked part of the fire kit. Having a bundle of good tinder can make all the difference.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 8:34:37 AM EDT
[#11]
A six pack of Bic lighters deployed to separate storage areas, wrapped in something waterproof, and with the button secured in the "UP" position with a twist tie or zip tie.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 9:04:21 AM EDT
[#12]
bow drill, pump drill or hand drill?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top