Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2013 10:01:05 AM EDT
For those who live in the Pacific NW here's  a heads up on Paraffin lamp oil on sale at Bi Mart.

The colored lamp oil is considered Christmas stock and was an additional 50% off the marked price.

Between 2 stores I got 61 bottles at $1.65 each (for a 32oz bottle)

(Ignore the Vodka, my wife took this trophy pic and sent it too one of her friends)

We have been happy using this oil in our lamps and at that price I just couldn't walk away.

Hope this helps.

BT

Link Posted: 1/2/2013 10:13:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 10:40:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
.........as that will last forever as long as the containers stay good.  Obviously we have seen threads where guys dump this into better containers to prevent these from becomming brittle and cracking.

You bring up two good points......

1st......my wife noticed that there were two different bottle types at the store she went too (I had her check a store as she was up in town), the new bottles actually had a "best used by date" on the back.......

2nd.....we had the conversation over breakfast this morning about relocating to different containers for long term storage at the BOL. One of my friends mentioned he has lamp oil in his shed from 20 years ago still in the original container......I counted back with the fact they probably made a heavier duty plastic back then as compared to the made in china plastic we have now.......

A bag ripped open when bringing them into the house and 6 bottles went skidding out on the driveway.......I cringed thinking the worst......none broke.......... I WILL be relocating them into something more durable, better to be safe then sorry.

BT
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 10:57:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Just tell me which stores you have emptied, so I won't waste my time there

THANK YOU!!!
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 11:24:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just tell me which stores you have emptied, so I won't waste my time there

THANK YOU!!!

Wife cleaned out the Mohawk store in Spgfld, I cleaned out the Creswell store, the Cottage Grove and Roseburg store did not have any.

Call each store and ask for the candle department......and they will tell you if and how many they have left.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 12:25:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Hrmm, I need to check out some craft stores they usually have the colored stuff.....  Maybe on clearance.. hmmmmm
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 1:55:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I have had the plastic bottles get brittle over time. This happens faster if it is not kept in the dark. I put mine in plastic gal kerosene cans or cleaned out coleman fule cans.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 2:08:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks again! 24 quarts for $39.60!!!  Oregon City is cleaned out of the colored bottles  Going to Damascus on Friday if nobody beats me to it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 6:09:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 6:15:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
For those who live in the Pacific NW here's  a heads up on Paraffin lamp oil on sale at Bi Mart.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/matt9698/Paraffin_lamp_oil_zps4d7125fe.jpg

The colored lamp oil is considered Christmas stock and was an additional 50% off the marked price.

Between 2 stores I got 61 bottles at $1.65 each (for a 32oz bottle)

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/matt9698/IMG_20121231_192334_206_zps6be6ffb6.jpg
(Ignore the Vodka, my wife took this trophy pic and sent it too one of her friends)

We have been happy using this oil in our lamps and at that price I just couldn't walk away.

Hope this helps.

BT

Man, did you score.

If I can give you advice, if you are not planning on using that but storing it, get yourself a good metal container and combine them.  Those clear plastic bottles get very brittle with age and one drop you have it all over the place.

The old galvanized or painted lamp oil cans are really nice.  They feature a wide mouth to pour the fuel in and a spicket to fill lanterns and lamps.  They are a tad hard to find these days especially new one but they're still out there.  

Tj

I need to find one of those cans, would work great for filling the lanterns while camping.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 7:40:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Man, did you score.

If I can give you advice, if you are not planning on using that but storing it, get yourself a good metal container and combine them.  Those clear plastic bottles get very brittle with age and one drop you have it all over the place.

The old galvanized or painted lamp oil cans are really nice.  They feature a wide mouth to pour the fuel in and a spicket to fill lanterns and lamps.  They are a tad hard to find these days especially new one but they're still out there.  

Tj

Tj, I had saved a write up you did a long time ago about oil lamps, lanterns and fuel. You mentioned the galvanized or painted lamp oil cans then and I have been looking off and on since to no avail.

Most of that lamp oil will go out to the BOL for long term storage as I still have plenty here at the house. I'm going to ask a guy I know who works for a fuel company delivering bulk oil and see if he has anything that may work in the 1-5 gal range. I've known the guy a couple of years and never thought to ask him till tonight.....

BT
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top