Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2012 9:09:44 AM EDT
I have some cash in my FSA account that I need to spend, and since first aid kits/med supplies are covered figured I would try to augment the very basics that I currently have.  Other than picking up a couple of stocked IFAKs or vehicle first aid kits, I wanted to pick and choose some specific items that would be worth having in an emergency.  I think I have read that the granulated quikclot is a no go, but seem to recall that the QC-impregnated gauze was ok.  Is Celox better/safer to use?  What else would be good for a non-trained medical person to have?  What would be good that someone of reasonable intelligence can learn to use safely?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:30:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Doesn't really answer your question, but can you buy OTC meds?  I'd think a big supply of ibuprofen, aspirin, allergy meds, anti-diarrhreal's, antibiotic salves, etc. would be a good place to dump a chunk of money.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:33:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, some OTC stuff is allowed, and those are on the list too.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:56:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks to ObamaCare, OTC meds now require a script from your doc, and you are only allowed to purchase a reasonable quantity that can be consumed within the plan year.

First aid supplies are good to go for now.  The following thread is a very good no nonsense primer on items that are most used/needed in a FAK.

Linky
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 4:32:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thanks to ObamaCare, OTC meds now require a script from your doc, and you are only allowed to purchase a reasonable quantity that can be consumed within the plan year.

First aid supplies are good to go for now.  The following thread is a very good no nonsense primer on items that are most used/needed in a FAK.

Linky

We just spent the remaining $500 left on our FSA. Without the ability to buy stuffs classified as OTC, it was difficult to spend it all. It would have been cool to also get isopropyl alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, as well as betadine solution, and iodine, and antibiotic creams. But no. Cant even spend your own gald-durn money.

We did pick up some heating pads and digital thermometers. The good thing for diabetics (of which I am not anymore ) is that glucometers and supplies are all covered. Might make for a good bartering stash?

I didnt see any blood-clotting packs or anything even close, so couldnt try for that. FWIW, the checkout clerk was sweet and very patient to help us out, so Walgreens was a decent place to go. We only spent $200 at the brick and mortar store, so The Wife™ spent the rest at the Walgreens online store. On their website, there is a little FSA symbol identifying everything you can get with a FSA card, which makes it a lot easier.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 3:07:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top