Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2012 3:58:27 PM EDT
I was planning on getting a Remington 700 SPS Tactical before the election, I thought we were going to get a new guy in the Whitehouse. But now I am thinking maybe I shouldn't get another gun and just ammo.

I have 556 16inch barrel, 556 24inch barrel
545x39 20inch barrel (I'm selling it though)
7.62x54R bolt action.
What does the hive mind think....

handgun
G19
G23 (will be getting a 9mm barrel for it)

other guns
6.8spc
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:09:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I would get a 10/22 and a bunch of ammo instead.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:45:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree with a 10/22 and ammo, or a handgun. If you can swing it, both. Either Glock would be great. Comes down to personal preference and who would be using it.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:24:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Sell the 5.45. Buy a 9mm barrel for the 40. 10/22, 3-9x40, steel lipped mags, and ammo. Next in line would be a Rem 870. Slugs/ buck/ bird. Grab a 28" barrel with a mod choke and an extra full or super full chokes. Also a cylinder bore 18.5" barrel.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:41:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Think about the things that Obama and the Dems have their sights set on....."Assault weapons", high-cap mags, internet ammo sales, ammo sales in quantities of 1,000 rounds or more.  Beyond that I can easily see them target suppressors, body armor, and certain night vision gear.

I just picked up another 1,000 rounds of XM193 and will be getting paperwork started for a suppressor in a couple weeks.

Basically I would focus first on what they are going after first, unless you have some huge void you just must fill first.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:43:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Ammo, parts, components, and probably cleaning supplies.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:50:28 PM EDT
[#6]

A word about the G23 and the 9 mm barrel.

I have a G23 and a 9mm barrel and FYI you cant just swap the barrel and expect the sights to be on target.  I bought the barrel because there have been times when .40 was hard to get or very expensive and I wanted to be able to shoot my G23.  At one time it was my only centerfire handgun.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:10:01 PM EDT
[#7]
thank you guys for the points. I forgot to add that i do have a 22 rifle (bolt action) and sr22. at last check 2k of 22 ammo. i know it is not enough. Shot gun i do need, and mags. thank again
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:48:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Stock anything you think might be restricted, heavily taxed or banned in the future. Standard capacity magazines, imported ammo, etc. my personal preference is 15 mags for each rifle and 10-12 mags for each pistol. Dump the rest into ammo and spare parts to keep what you have running.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

A word about the G23 and the 9 mm barrel.

I have a G23 and a 9mm barrel and FYI you cant just swap the barrel and expect the sights to be on target.  I bought the barrel because there have been times when .40 was hard to get or very expensive and I wanted to be able to shoot my G23.  At one time it was my only centerfire handgun.

OS,

Could you elaborate a little on this?

I wanted a G23, but ended up w/ a G32 and a LWC .40 conversion barrel (because I shoot mostly cast bullets in 40, and already have some 357).  They print w/ in 1.5" of each other @ 15 yds, w/ the 40 going low/left –– bt this could be because of the cast handloads and reduced velocity.  

What pattern did you see w/ the 9mm conversion barrel, at what distance?  Was it far enough off to change the way you aim?  Is it bad enough to make it non-functional/useful?

I was considering a 9mm conversion barrel for this, similar to OP (sorry for the hijack).

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:18:53 AM EDT
[#10]
get the 700 in 556 and load up with ammo
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:18:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:58:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Do yourself a real favor, put the fantasy zombie invasion dreams or apocalyptic run and gun expectations on the back burner where they belong.  If you look at what may face you first in life, you are almost naked without a handgun.  

Its as simple as you can conceal a handgun.  Crime events are far more likely than any apocalyptic world where carrying a rifle in the open is a good idea or even carrying one in a guitar case is practical.  

"Wait while I go get my gun" is always answered with "How do you plan to get that gun?", like "You want me to stand right here while you get your gun and come back and shoot me?"  

Face the truth, tactical soldier is an internet pipe dream while this guy may car jack/mug me can happen today.    

I have no doubt they go after high cap rifle mags, they will pistol.  They did last time, therefore its a given.

Tj

Your thinking mirrors my own, TJ. So many times do people respond with a preconceived notion that any apocalyptic/SHTF/TEOTWAWKI use of a weapon will be a blazing rain of lead. They think every encounter is going to be a hollywood shootout - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid last stand - or a Walking Dead mow 'em down situation. I dont think they realize the more practical applications of the weapons they own.

My thoughts on the gun-grabbing left is that they will follow the money. How many guns and how many billions of rounds of ammo have been sold since the last election? Following November 2008, there was an epic amount of weapons sold, and sales have been phenomenally strong ever since. Follow the money. Will all of these gun manufacturers, retailers and ammunition manufacturers simply lay down for the Libs? Follow the money. Will they just roll over and say okay no problem we'll just stop (making guns)? I seriously doubt weapons companies are going to walk away from the robust revenue they've enjoyed over the last few years. Perhaps this time, the big fight will come from them.

Since it is all about money, I believe the Democrats will tackle guns, but I think they'll have a tougher time than they would have four years ago. I'm not saying that we shouldn't be vigilant. I'm not saying that it wouldnt be a great time to fill in the blanks in your arsenal. Any time is a good time to build an ammo fort! No, I'm here to say that we shouldnt go mental and buy things we cant eat if those bases arent covered yet.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:10:00 PM EDT
[#13]
If all of your other bases are covered-food, shelter, finances etc-I would personally build up my stockpile of consumables for what I already owned (ammo, mags, spare parts). In fact, that is precisely what I'm doing. Although I've doing that for over twenty years, I really kicked it into high gear after the AWB sunset. I won't get caught with my pants down ever again.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:18:24 PM EDT
[#14]
If I buy lots of ammo or more assault weapons its not a mad max fantasy. It is the reality of the political situation. I want more and as much as I can afford.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:13:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd buy the stuff that is most likely on the chopping block first.  "Assault rifles", mags over 10 rounds, etc.  Rim fires, bolt actions, and shotguns are probably last on the list of things to go.  If you're looking for a Rem 700, I'd wait until after the election and the price gouging has gone down some.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top