Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2012 2:53:51 PM EDT
Hello all,
I currently am looking to get a new Iphone.  The iphone 4s is quite cheaper then the iphone 5 and seems a bit more sturdy.  The IOS 5.1 that the iphone 4s can run seems more user friendly and doesn't have the bugs that IOS6 has.  I am not an android fan so they are out.  I am only looking at these two phone.  I actually will buy a used one on ebay and run them as "pay as you go phones" on ATT or perhaps the new TMobile $30 unlimited text and web + 100 minutes per month.  I am not sure on the plan yet.

I like the iphone 4s because the plug is the same as my ipad plus it seems a little better built with not as much plastic as the iphone 5.  This also means the 4s is a tad heavier, but I always liked the heavier feel of the iphone vs android.

What do you think?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:01:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Everything in the future will move to the lighting connector, they will become more and more common. Personally I would not buy something that is already outdated, accessories and such will only get more scarce despite the current abundance. If you have not used it yet, 4G LTE is awesome and will only get more and more common.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:40:21 PM EDT
[#2]
this is in survival discussion why?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:05:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Maybe he wanted a preppers perspective on arguably the most formidable tool you carry every day.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:33:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe he wanted a preppers perspective on arguably the most formidable tool you carry every day.

then that wouldnt be an iplop. your brain is the most formidable tool you carry 24/7 not a phone.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:37:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

then that wouldnt be an iplop. your brain is the most formidable tool you carry 24/7 not a phone.

I dunno man.  I know a lot of people that are way dumber than an iphone...

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:01:14 PM EDT
[#6]
LTE is faster with the iPhone 5.  There is no big piece of glass to break on the back of the iPhone 5.  Front glass on the iPhone 5 is gorilla glass and tougher than the front glass on the 4s.  

The 4s is most definitely NOT more sturdy.  If you want it more sturdy, buy a tough case.  

Edit to add I have ios 6.0.1 and have  had zero issues.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:02:19 PM EDT
[#7]
The Samsung Note 2 or htc Droid DNA both utterly crush the current apple offerings.

Do yourself a favor and check them out before you buy anything.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:07:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The Samsung Note 2 or htc Droid DNA both utterly crush the current apple offerings.

Do yourself a favor and check them out before you buy anything.

I'll second that. I just upgraded to a Note 2 from an Iphone 4 and I love it. The size definitely takes some getting used to. It's huge. The screen is it's biggest pro and con. I think more phones will head in that direction because phones are much more then texting and calling devices nowadays. The big screen makes viewing websites and info MUCH better.

I've always been a fan of Apple stuff because of their operating systems but Android is pretty great now. I definitely would recommend the Note 2. Maybe the SIII if you don't want such a big phone, but the Note 2 has better hardware. The S4 will be out in Feb.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:27:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes I was asking to get the survival formum point of view on the 2 phones.  I figure that besides my wallet and keys, when I leave the house my cell phone is number 3 on my EDC list followed by my watch then knife.  The list continues after that, but a cell phone is definitely in my top 3 on the edc list.  I think I recall hearing that then glass on the iphon5 might have been stronger, thank you for jogging my memory on that tidbit.  I appreciate he responses, and just checked out the Samsung offerings suggested, but I really tend toward apple for phones and Tablets.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:32:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a 5, and my girlfriend has a 4s.  The 4 definitely feels a lot tougher, but I guess that's misleading.

Traditionally, I have always bought the best technology I can afford, and "run the wheels off it".  The only exception being the HTC Evo I had prior to the iPhone 5.  It was an unreliable piece of shit.  Worst purchase I have ever made, and I jumped ship as soon as I could.

I went with Apple this time not for the bells and whistles, but for the no bullshit reliability.  Maybe HTC stepped up their game, but my experience with the Evo left me very weary of buying another HTC (and at some levels Android) product again.

Hope this helps.  I plan on keeping the iPhone 5 for at least 5 years...
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:14:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I know your not a droid fan but you may want to take a look at the Motorola Droid Razr Maxx HD.  It is by far the best phone I have ever had.  I own a Samsung Tab and love it so I figured I would try a Samsung phone.  I had the Samsung Galaxy SIII for two weeks and swapped it for the Maxx HD.  The SIII couldn't even make it through an entire day without needing a recharge, I easily go 2-3 days with the Maxx HD with a light to medium mixture of web, talk, text, games, and some netflix, and I do not keep the screen dimmed down, I like it bright.....  I was getting dropped calls with the Samsung, not so with the Maxx HD.  The entire phone experience the Motorola gives is outstanding.  I cannot recommend it highly enough.  It has a water resistant nano coating and a kevlar body topped off with Corning Gorilla Glass.  Did I mention the 4.7" Samsung Super Amoled screen?  It's gorgeous and super bright.  Google now owns Motorola Mobile so updates won't be an issue.  Take a peak.  My daughter has an Iphone 4 and has begged me for a Maxx HD.  She'll just have to wait for the next upgrade.  

If there is one thing it has over other phones it is pure and simple, battery life, and that is extremely important to me.  Motorola rates the Maxx HD as having 32 hours of mixed use battery life, with 15 days standby time.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:26:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I dunno man.  I know a lot of people that are way dumber than an iphone...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top