Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2012 2:06:00 PM EDT
predominately onsite (home/buried/available) where it is defensible vs. sitting in a bank given the economic outlook.  Not saying all of it, but who has taken drastic measures to pull from IRA's and saving's plans to make sure that there is something on hand?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:09:47 PM EDT
[#1]
when the time comes, actual toilet paper will be worth more....
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:10:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I did and now expect to be audited since I dropped 16k in my bank (separate deposits) to buy a car.  

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:12:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Okay, derivative question too.  At what point is it so bad where you trade your paper with Lincoln on it to one with a bear hugging a blanket?  Or PM's?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:44:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I keep some cash on hand, and the rest in the bank. It's hard to maintain OPSEC when you're constantly digging holes in your yard when the bills come due, and money burning up in your house is not coming back.

In before the "buy gold and silver" parrots show up.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:46:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I agree. I buy and hold "stuff" at home that has intrinsic value. That would not be currency.

Having some cash "just in case" is good for other reasons, but as hedge against sustained economic implosion ... not so much.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:18:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I keep some cash on hand, and the rest in the bank. It's hard to maintain OPSEC when you're constantly digging holes in your yard when the bills come due, and money burning up in your house is not coming back.

Buy moar ammo.  

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:21:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I would never put all my eggs in one basket.  :D
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:36:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy moar ammo.  

today it seems the best way to store wealth.

as long as you dont go and shoot it all up
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:24:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Interesting how this question or assertion is tame relative to some of the other topics here and yet very few buying in to plausibility of keeping money in banks as a losing proposition.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:52:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Interesting how this question or assertion is tame relative to some of the other topics here and yet very few buying in to plausibility of keeping money in banks as a losing proposition.

I'm not so sure about that. I think there are more and more people that are seeing their banks as not a safe place to keep significant levels of cash. It may be somewhat less now than 2009 but there are many, many people who don't trust the TBTE (too big to exist) banks, especially when they started trying to quarter and dollar their own customers to death (used to be nickles and dimes but when they grew too big for their britches it became quarters and dollars). Although the pace of bank failures has slowed considerably (after a few trillion thrown into the system), there are still a significant number occurring with shocking regularity. See here to see what I mean. Look at the dates and check the press releases to see the sizes not only of the banks that failed but how much we, the taxpayers, are on the hook for because of the failure.

I keep more cash at home in a safe now than I ever used to. Actually, I've gotten to the point where I feel far more nervous about having a big cash buildup in a bank than I do having too much cash at home. I've sold a majority of my stock holdings this year at what appeared to me to be a peak back in Sept/Oct. Turned out to be a good decision so far. But, now I've got both cash and money in accounts that are just sitting. If the economy crashes completely, I doubt there will be sufficient time to extract that cash from the various places before the system gets "shut off" for a "bank holiday". Like the one anal-yst was saying on the financial show, there's a whole lot of cash on the sidelines because people are more concerned with return OF their capital than return ON their capital. (And, guess what, I'm not alone. Lot's of folks getting out of stocks and bonds and going into cash, PMs, whatever. See this.)

I've been buying PMs periodically since 2008 and still am not really where I want to be. If I smell something bad coming down the pike quick enough, I'd have no reservations at all taking the cash out of whatever institution it's in and buying PMs and other tangible assets.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:06:39 PM EDT
[#11]
What money? I spent it all on Twinkies.

Some is readily available. Some in the bank. Some is in investments. The rest is in assets. Don't put it all in the same place.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:41:46 PM EDT
[#12]
if i did have any money, i wouldnt keep it in a bank.  i am forced to use a bank to get paid from work.  they put it in a savings account and i withdraw all of it but a dollar on payday.  banks are subject to too much government intervention.

for example. what i am going through.  my mom passed away a couple months ago.  she had a safe deposit box at the local bank.  actually 2.  one has her name and her dads name on it.  i went with grandpa down to get into the boxes because we all thought that moms will was in one of them.  once the bank teller found out she was dead, he said we cant get in.  well come to find out, one of the boxes was in my grandma's estate and mom was the executrix of her estate.  so we thought okay, we will get the paperwork legalizing me to be the executor then we can get in.  once that happens, bank teller says no, executorship doesnt pass on like that.  you have to have a new executor for grandmas estate. jeez. so now we have to wait another month so grandpa can be appointed executor of grandmas estate and hopefully we can get in.  my attorney says that the govt doesnt want anybody getting in there in case there are meeellions of dollars and you cant get away without reporting it and paying taxes.  man screw the guvment.  they have their greedy hands in everything.  all we wanted was the damn will.

oh well, turns out, moms will was in the trunk of her car  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top