Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2012 12:55:24 AM EDT
About 0210 this morning I was woke up by 3 or 4 large explosions and 2 smaller ones. They shook the house they were so strong.

From what I heard from the truckers on the CB. A car was Southbound in the northbound lanes of I-81 it collided with a big rig. The trucker and his wife got out and away. 2 ppl in the car died. R.I.P

I wasn't the only one woke up by the explosions. 3 other neighbors were as well. Plus I called and woke up Hard Rock and Bubbles and warned them. I thought the wreck was closer to them than me. I was concerned about toxic material/fumes. Turns out I'm the closest Arfcommer. It is ~1/4 mile from me.

As close as I am to 81 guess I need to acquire a gas mask. Any suggestions?

That's why a 5 day BOB lives by the front door.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:51:26 AM EDT
[#1]
i dont plan to bug out ( internet prepper voice)

issue is chemicals, full face and iirc it'll need to be p100 rated  ,but im half hung over so dont qoute me yet lol

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:51:41 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

i dont plan to bug out ( internet prepper voice)

issue is chemicals, full face and iirc it'll need to be p/n100 rated  ,but im half hung over so dont qoute me yet lol

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:15:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a couple of R95 masks as opposed to a N95 mask, for the added petroleum aerosol protection... but also have a new surplus Israeli mask in the car...I wear glasses and it clears them, though probably loose some seal.... I'm more likely to drive into a problem than at home....problem is the surplus masks typically come with an expired filter...
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:31:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Living 200 yards off of a major interstate we get a huge amount of hazmat passing by everyday. That has always been a concern. What happened the other night really brought it home.  In this case the wind took the smoke East of me. But if it had been blowing SE I would have been in trouble. With my asthma I would have been forced to leave. And this was a non toxic fire.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:05:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
About 0210 this morning I was woke up by 3 or 4 large explosions and 2 smaller ones. They shook the house they were so strong.

From what I heard from the truckers on the CB. A car was Southbound in the northbound lanes of I-81 it collided with a big rig. The trucker and his wife got out and away. 2 ppl in the car died. R.I.P

I wasn't the only one woke up by the explosions. 3 other neighbors were as well. Plus I called and woke up Hard Rock and Bubbles and warned them. I thought the wreck was closer to them than me. I was concerned about toxic material/fumes. Turns out I'm the closest Arfcommer. It is ~1/4 mile from me.

As close as I am to 81 guess I need to acquire a gas mask. Any suggestions?

That's why a 5 day BOB lives by the front door.

Get something that is good quality and fits you well. Most surplus masks  are too old or use rare filters, you want fresh 40mm canisters.
If you can afford it, get the GSR (General service respirator) or M50 Joint Service General Purpose Mask. They are expensive and the filters arent as easy to get but oy get what you pay for.
I have the GSR and it is indeed awesome. Compared to my S10 that uses 40mm cans, there's no comparison.

GSR

M50JSGPM
If on a budget something like the M40 or S10 will keep you safe as long as the canisters arent that old and the mask itself isnt very old too. Some are cracked and the rubber is rotting or the valves have dried up. Check out the different sizes and make sure it fits each family member well.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:18:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Most gas masks won't handle chemical spills.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:07:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Scott, we have a chemical factory a mile away. TheBeerSlayer Is the guy to talk to about gas masks if I recall.  

Hopefully he'll see this thread
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:22:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:23:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:25:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:51:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks beerslayer  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top