Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2012 12:09:16 PM EDT
I need a GRS, and cant make heads or tails of the info out there

anybody have a good reccomendation on a handheld gps with topo?

personal experience preferred, thanks
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:30:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had excellent results with the Garmin 60CSx. It has a very good antenna that works very well under tree canopy-my daughter and I use ours for geocaching

It has a micro SD card slot, and I keep topo maps on one card, and street navigation maps on another.

ETA: It's also waterproof, shock proof, has a compass and altimeter onboard, and has a pretty fast startup compared to others.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:49:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the Garmin 60csxmap.  It has never left me in the woods wondering where I am.  Also it is very user freindly. Always has a good signal reception even in heavy forest cover.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:51:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:25:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Garmin Legend HCx, small compact, pretty accurate, and didn't really break the bank.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:26:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I use a 60Csx also, but they quit making it because of some kind of dispute with the chipset mfg.  The replacement model is the GPSMAP62 series. I'd at least go one step up from the base model.  They are expensive though.

Waldo's floats and is waterproof too, but I think they all are.  I witnessed his though
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:12:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:22:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a 60csx as well.  It works and works.  If mine failed I would search for another on amazon/ebay.  For me the direct access keys instead of layers of menus on the touch screen models is the key.  I hadn't heard that there was issue with the mfg. of the chip set and assumed that they just wanted to update and push folks to their touch screen models.  Past chips have come from intel I had been told.  The 62 series has a completly diferent menu system but still has direct access keys and I assume a different cpu.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:37:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the 450T.  It's a good GPS but it eats batteries.  I have always bought Garmin, Magellan has always disappointed me.  

Garmin has been dragging their feet on introducing a really modern sate of the art GPS receiver.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:15:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've had excellent results with the Garmin 60CSx. It has a very good antenna that works very well under tree canopy-my daughter and I use ours for geocaching

It has a micro SD card slot, and I keep topo maps on one card, and street navigation maps on another.

I do something similar. I have cards for western, central, and eastern US.

I also have the GPSMAP76C for kayak use since it floats.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:26:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've been pretty happy with my GPS Map 76CSX with FOARM case, it's bulletproof.  Though I'm sure garmin has come out with a new iteration of that style by now. With the SIRF III chipset I have never had trouble losing signal or any difficulty acquiring it, even in dense forested mountain areas.

EDIT:I think the case is made by a company called GizzMoVest LLC now, but it used to be called FOARM.

http://home.comcast.net/~colonelklink/gps.jpg

That case really kicks ass!!!

I think I might have to pick one up for my Legend HCx....  I think this case will fit??
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#11]
just use your cell phone.. . .
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:35:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

And when your cell phone has no signal then what??

99% of the areas I hike have no cell service.  Hell, most of WV is that way.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:56:52 PM EDT
[#13]
You don't need cell service. However, the GPS will rapidly suck the battery dry.

I often download maps through Gaia or Backcountry Navigator and use them offline w/o any cell signal.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:40:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Most here like the Garmin GPS's.

I do too. Have a lot tied up in them.

But in the woods, I use a Delorme GPS. For quite a few years.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:27:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And when your cell phone has no signal then what??

99% of the areas I hike have no cell service.  Hell, most of WV is that way.

The GPS on my Droid X2 sucks the battery flat very quickly, and it's a very poor performer under tree canopy in the NH woods.

I have another NIB 60CSx standing by for the day our current Garmin is lost or broken beyond repair.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:43:23 AM EDT
[#16]
I have an older Garmins Vista H etrex.

To be candid, it is not the choice I would have made, but my wife gave it to me for xmas a few years ago.

No sd card slot.

No color screen.

I do not like the touch screen idea (something else to fail IMO), but navigating through layers of menus is not fun either.

I mostly use it for tracking how far and where I hike. Mostly I navigate by map and sun position. I sometimes use the GPS to check just where I am against where I think I might be. It works adeqautely although a few times I have lost signal in heavy woods, as evidence by breaks in the tracking log after the fact.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top