Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2012 4:16:57 AM EDT
I carry lighters, waterproof matches, dryer lint with vasoline, a road flare, mag firestarter and some dry tinder. What else should I carry? What are the chances that the flare will self exnite?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:26:10 AM EDT
[#1]
My father-in-law would freak because I had a box of matches next to an oil lamp, as they could start on fire
I said, "So, the match box will open, the match will jump out and tip the oil lamp, then strike itself to ignite and try to get the kero going, right?".

He looked at me with a kind of look.

On my person at any time, I have a mini fire-steel glued to a P-51 opener on my keychain.

In my GHB: 3 different types of fire steels, multiple water-proof stick matches, multiple paper match books sealed in plastic, multiple lighters. Plus you can use the battery trick with a AA and wire, cotton balls and separate Carmex, hand sanitizer (if need be, but I try to keep it for its intended use).
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:43:47 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I carry lighters, waterproof matches, dryer lint with vasoline, a road flare, mag firestarter and some dry tinder. What else should I carry? What are the chances that the flare will self exnite?

I carry about the same.

An easy addition would be a mint tin packed full of steel wool in the trunk (or where ever you keep your jumper cables).

I have never heard of a flare self igniting ever. Just buy good ones with safety features and rotate them more than once a decade and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:01:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Magnesium Rod with built in flint and striker.  Inset into a piece of African Ebony wood just because I could.    Rated for 20,000 fires.  

Even has a cheesy compas in the handle (used to hide where I held it in my lathe)

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:29:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Steel wool &9v
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:33:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Trioxane

Edit:  This wont start a fire but it will make it easier to get a real fire going once you've got an ignition source.  

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:57:36 AM EDT
[#6]
A couple of Bics, a Swedish fire steel, and a 35mm film canister with Vaseline impregnated cotton balls. My other kit has the same, along with a Blast Match and tinder cubes. I've broken a Blast Match before, so I've relegated them to second line use. It's too bad, because I really like they they can be used one-handed.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:59:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Dryer lint.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:08:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Typically carry 5 ways to make a fire....
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:54:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

On my keychain I always have a titanium peanut lighter, works very well. In ym pocket I always have some kind of lighter, these days its a Djeep lighter with a feet of Gorilla tape wrapped around it (fits perfectly)
FerFAL
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:29:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Lite my fire rod on my key chain,  at least three ways in the bags, camping gear.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:40:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I am going hunting out of town this week so I tried out the Vaseline thing you mentioned. It worked great. The ball burned for about 10 minutes. I soaked up 4 more cotton balls and put them in my pack for small survival kit.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:14:51 AM EDT
[#12]
I smoke... so i usually have 2 lighters in my pocket... a couple rolling around the floor of the truck... one or two randomly stashed in my pack. I figure if all of those fail me, it's God's way of saying i don't deserve fire.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:53:16 AM EDT
[#13]
An ST Dupont MaxiJet

I light more cigars than signal fires.  But it will work great for that too.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:07:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:27:49 PM EDT
[#15]
If I'm anywhere near some birch trees, all I need is a lighter, or some matches, and the bark.  Wet or not it'll start a fire.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:06:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:17:36 PM EDT
[#17]
In my fire starting kit located in my GHB, I've got matches with strike pad, 2 small bic lighters, swedish firesteel, cotton balls with vas, dryer lint, and steel wool.  Elsewhere in my GHB, I've got a magnifying glass on my map compass, spare set of eyeglasses, spare batteries, small gauge wire, and hand sanitizer.  If I can't start a fire with all this shit, then I deserve to be erased.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:31:08 PM EDT
[#18]
I carry in my 24 hour pack a zip lock filled with:  fire stick, small wax candle, film container filled with Vaseline and cotton and a bic lighter.  I do not carry matches.,
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:34:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Bic lighter, firesteel, cotton with Vaseline, UCO stormproof matches, and a Fresnel lens.

Edited to add:  a few extra Esbit tabs from my stove.

Edited to add (again):  for EDC - mini Bic lighter
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:41:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Carry?  A mini bic (in a ziploc), and the firesteel on my Mora knife.  If you can't start a fire with a bic lighter, you need to freeze.  The firesteel is insurance, and it works great, even wet, but 5 ways to make fire?  The candle in the car is a force multiplier of sorts.  Light the candle, and use it to get fire going.  Oh, I have hand sanitizer in the car too, so that will definitely get things going.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:42:29 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a Firesteel.com on my keychain, Bic, storm proof matches, and a butane lighter in my EDC pack with fatwood. Most of the fires I light involve contaminated gas, diesel, and a map gas torch.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:51:45 PM EDT
[#22]
i dont smoke but i carry a zippo most of the time. in the car i keep matches, a bic, and a ferrocerium rod.   i also know how to start a fire with a fire bow, although it would take a while.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:05:12 PM EDT
[#23]
I carry a aviation firestarter (thumbwheel flint + wax impregnated tinder tabs with extra tinder tabs stuffed in) plus a bic lighter in both my carheart jacket and winter jacket. I have the pea lighter on my keychain, but it often goes dry.

Actually I carry a sterile version of the firestarter, with the label scrubbed off.  One time I had one taken by TSA because it was labeled avaition firestarter, and TSA refused to let it on, and the airline refused to check it (becase it says aviation firestarter, and what could be more dangerious on an airplane than an aviation firestarter.  And it had a NSN on it, that makes it military grade.)  It is Ironic that I was given the firestarter in an alaska ocupational survival class, and we were specifically told it was legal for plane flights unlike bic lighters (a the time).   There was even a FAA Flight standards guy in the class.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:47:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Blast match and a zip lock bag full of premade petroleum cotton balls.

Also have lighters, magnesium starters and some wet fire starter but my primary starter would be the above technique.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:45:47 PM EDT
[#25]
In my pack is a lighter, matches and a magnesium tool, with cotton and vasoline drizzled with candle wax. But for camping and backyard fires I have a 5 gallon bucket filled with sawdust ( we have a cabinet building company across the way and can get it free) dad uses the cedar shaving pet stuff, but add 1 gallon of diesel fuel ..... The stuff is awesome burns long enough to start wet wood in the rain .... I keep an old coffee cup in the bucket to scoop it out
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:52:35 PM EDT
[#26]
re: how to carry EDC gear.....I'm retired so don't have to worry about looking like I have a Batman pouch on my belt... but if you get to my age, a suggestion... in a generic multi tool pouch, I carry a Leatherman Juice S2... Streamlight TacPro 1L... plastic straw with a petroleum cotton ball inside... wrapped in clear tape, secton of hacksaw blade, Scout firesteel, heavy needle, safety pins....tweezers....a mini Bic could be substituted for the light...I have a perception of more need for the light than the fire...YMMV

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:24:47 PM EDT
[#27]
You made this?..

Quoted:
Magnesium Rod with built in flint and striker.  Inset into a piece of African Ebony wood just because I could.    Rated for 20,000 fires.  

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g326/Covertness/FireStarter1.jpg
http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g326/Covertness/FireStarter2.jpg

Even has a cheesy compas in the handle (used to hide where I held it in my lathe)

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g326/Covertness/FireStarter3.jpg

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:13:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You made this?..

Quoted:

I was very impressed with that woodwork- can always appreciate that.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:23:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You made this?..

Quoted:

I was very impressed with that woodwork- can always appreciate that.

Thank you both.  Yes, I made that.  I sell them as well but you could get three of the plastic handled ones from LaRue for what I'd charge.  Only difference is I don't know what their striker is rated for.  They come in 6,000 and 20,000 ratings usually.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:55:33 AM EDT
[#30]
I keep lighters all over the place.  In addition I keep some tinder, usually dryer lint, in my GHB.  I also pack a bit of steel wool.  A fire steel in my GHB is a good thing.  

In my emergency bug out gear box I keep a propane torch.    Since I have cylinders stored in there for a stove and a lantern it seems like a natural fit.  There's not much I can't set on fire with a propane torch.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:32:26 AM EDT
[#31]
I carry the following:

a Bic
a magnesium starter
a waterproof container of matches

This isnt EDC carry, its just for when I go out in the woods or up into a stream fishing, or any time when I remove myself from civilization. The rest of time - and lets be real about this - edc firemaking gear really is not necessary unless you are into carrying a shitload of rattling junk on you everywhere you go. I tend to rely on my resourcefulness otherwise. In civilized areas, there is always a way to get a fire going. Cars, households, industrial areas - they all provide a huge variety of ways to get a blaze up and running.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:47:01 AM EDT
[#32]
I bought 2000 lighters for cheap.

They are everywhere.

TXL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top