Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2012 6:37:31 PM EDT
Fellow Arfcom members:

Maybe this has been discussed, but I never see any threads on the home based business after the apocalypse. Has anyone given any thought to this? If so, what is your plan? I was thinking about the Rawles book Survivors and the female charactor who started a general store from her collection of seed packets. Please don't start a rant about how Rawles sucks or his books are crap, etc. I was also interested in ideas for living in the suburbs (I live 30 miles from DC) so things like farming are out.  Has anyone here made plans to open a general store, be armed security, gunsmithing, etc.?

Jeremy S.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:13:12 PM EDT
[#1]
There have been threads about this before.
Most people have stated they would use there skills such as (carpentry,Gunsmithing,farming etc) to barter or earn money in a post SHTF world.
To be honest I don't dislike Rawles or his books I just get sick of his constant preaching.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:30:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Online trading is no good?
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:44:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Some friends and I have often wondered about a small clinic type place.  We are all surgery nurses, surgical techs, anesthesia providers, recovery room nurses and such.  Medicines would be tricky, but dressings can be easily stored or even improvised.  Many of us are very pro 2A, have taken classes etc so all the "raid the clinic" folks would have a hard time (or so we hope).  Honestly it would depend on what we could get our hands on, but the idea is pretty plausable.  

Hmm... guess that reminds me to bring this up at work again...

jim
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:33:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Some friends and I have often wondered about a small clinic type place.  We are all surgery nurses, surgical techs, anesthesia providers, recovery room nurses and such.  Medicines would be tricky, but dressings can be easily stored or even improvised.  Many of us are very pro 2A, have taken classes etc so all the "raid the clinic" folks would have a hard time (or so we hope).  Honestly it would depend on what we could get our hands on, but the idea is pretty plausable.  

jim

Jim, sounds like you and your friends need to be storing a lot of basic and even advanced medical supplies. Bandages, splints, braces, cast materials, suture kits and of course gloves, mask and gowns. I think you get the idea, something more than a band-aid.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 10:23:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

jim

I'd patronize you now.
I was trying to get my dentist to remove a mole so I could just pay him $75 and be done with it like I do for my teeth.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:45:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:00:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Fellow Arfcom members:

Maybe this has been discussed, but I never see any threads on the home based business after the apocalypse. Has anyone given any thought to this? If so, what is your plan? I was thinking about the Rawles book Survivors and the female charactor who started a general store from her collection of seed packets.

Jajajaja!! Thanks for the lols, great way to start the day.
Yes, that has to be one of the most stupid ideas I've read in a while. Exactly were has something like that worked before is a mystery to me.

Listen, it basically comes down to two things regarding making money after SHTF.
1) Provide something (goods and services)  that is no longer working well or being offered after the collapse.
2)Provide something that niches created by the crisis itself are demanding.

The doc who posted about the clinic idea, not a bad idea at all, I can say I've seen it work both in run down parts of town and rich areas.
For the poor or low middle class, if you offer a somewhat acceptable service for a modest sum of money, you're looking at doing this as a clinic where people get cover for monthly payments, that might work well. Even if you cant compete with big hospitals, you dont have to if those same people cant afford it either. as obamacare goes to hell theres a good chance of a demand for good and affordabel medical care. If it costs a thounsand buck to get a broken arm fixed or a few stiches done, then a basic meidcal cover for a reasonable fee makes a lot of sense.
Same happens with security, educaiton, transport.
On the other side of the spectrum of possibilities, maybe you focus on those that sill have money and offer esthetic treatments as botox and such. It works like crazy, yes, even after shtf.
Then the financial services, all across the world you see these microlons, from South America,to USA and Europe. why do you think it is? Its because its a good way of makign money. A decade ago it woudl have seem insane to take up a loan to buy a TV or some other appliance, or to get your car fixed. Today, ti happens all day long and those loaning the money are making a killing on it.
Think of small luxuries poor may go for, just so as to feel less miserable. These usually work very well. Guys that have a hard time making it to the end of the month will still buy fancy cell phones and other gadgets. Sam for clothes, and cheapo jewelry.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:43:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Around here a lot of folks have tools.

And they are already sorting themselves out as people you don't mind working on your stuff and people you don't let near your stuff.

To some extent I think repairing what others messed up would be useful and it will make a solid name for your work if you do good work.

I am not an expert at anything but I can build stuff decently and I know how to work on vehicles and have the tools to do the job right.

I currently work security and it is amazing how few people can actually sit and watch an area for x amount of time let alone 8 hours for a shift. I think security might sort itself out quickly as well.

If you pull up old threads from the archives you will find mention of steam power for doing stuff. You will find mention of a big grinding setup, well big for a family, and renting time for others to grind their stuff. I think someone else mentioned a lister setup and taking a cut of the fuel people brought to power the engine so they could get power for whatever and they could build up a fuel stock. And being a lister it will burn about anything.

In the past I have mentioned simply being able to put power to a smart phone or laptop or camera or something and get data off it. I fall short of printing everything out because I don't stock a ton of paper and printer cartridges but being able to power up their stuff and make use of it is something I would consider.

But being able to pull a hard drive out of a desktop and having the cables to power it up and get info off of it might be worth something.

I kind of expect the slide to take a bit even if it speeds up. Right now I know people who are paycheck to paycheck and if their hours get cut or their health care costs go up they are going to have to cut somewhere.

Somebody might not be able to replace the laptop that broke, seems like the port for the power cord always breaks, but they might want someone to pull the hard drive and get the information off of it for them.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:55:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I buy and sell things for a living.

If I were living in some TEOTWAWKI type situation, I doubt that would change much...

Speed

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:01:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I have my own machine shop. Also about a hundred fifty 'trading guns' and multiple thousands of rounds of ammunition in addition to my personal stash. I'm set.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:30:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Interesting ideas so far.  I def. like the medical set-up mentioned above. As long as you have large quantities of medical supplies, you guys could be filthy rich in a post-apocalyptic world.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:45:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Depends on how dirty the fan gets...

My job is pretty stable, currently.
If things went kind of bad, I could probably find some sort of aviation job, or maybe teaching position.
If things went very badly, I might team up with a couple firearms gurus and get into instructing for security, etc.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:01:49 PM EDT
[#13]
My machine shop will do well to help me make a living. Hopefully I will have my new gunsmithing lathe before things go south.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:51:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll  come in  w/  a  backhoe  and  perform  mass  burials  @  $100  a  whack ( per   bod ) , discounts   for  20  and  up .
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:11:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Wife is in the medical field and I am an electronics and communications technician. Both of us have building skills with wood and I can work metal. Both onus also have a mechanical background so I am pretty sure we can trade skills and talents with others if need be. It is good to have a diverse skill set.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:16:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:23:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Contracting.     People need stuff now and people will need stuff after
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:25:05 PM EDT
[#18]
I was leaning towards TEOTWAWKI as opposed to a localized or temporary SHTF environment. Basically no or limited regulations for businesses that are heavily regulated (Security and the medical idea listed above) in a normal world. So things like IT in a grid down world wouldn't get you anywhere.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:42:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

jim

Are we talking mad max surgery clinic?  Or great depression surgery clinic?  LOL most Anesthesia I know couldn't keep someone indebted w/o the machine.  That art has been lost by most.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:13:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Biere got me thinking- what about a copy machine?  If you had the ability to "print" books, prayer books, newsletters, etc.  I not suggesting you buy a copy machine, but if you had a good solid one, a few cases of paper, and some toner might make you some money for a while.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:03:07 AM EDT
[#21]
My buddies plan for the apocalypse is to make beer. He makes real good beer now but it is just for friends and coworkers. When the SHTF  he says he plans on trading beer for whatever he needs. I know I would trade some bullets for a couple gallons.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:50:39 AM EDT
[#22]
My machine shop will keep me working.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:56:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My buddies plan for the apocalypse is to make beer. He makes real good beer now but it is just for friends and coworkers. When the SHTF  he says he plans on trading beer for whatever he needs. I know I would trade some bullets for a couple gallons.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:23:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Jerky.

Lots of jerky.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:44:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Grave digger. People will be dying to use your service.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:50:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Physical therapist, can diagnose and provide treatment in the event the regular doc has more pressing issues, help rehab those that lost mobility, limbs and/or injured themselves in the mass panic that ensues under either circumstance.  Doesn't sound like much, but considering just how many tendons, ligaments and muscles there are just in the shoulder joint. being able to have a full range of motion and useability can and will affect how you fit in society.

My Lady works in cardio-pulmonary, assisting Doc's during procedures, so she has her uses too ;)

I'm ex-infantry with plenty of experience, and she's pretty well trained, so we have our uses beyond the medical side.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top