Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2012 4:54:28 PM EDT
I was in Lowes the other day getting some special LED bulbs.  I passed a table manned by a woman from FEMA. She was polite, very nice m and asked me if I had damage from Sandy?  I told her no thank you, we had no damage. She was sort of amazed so I explained to her I designed the house to handle storms like that. That it was stressed for a category 4 storm. She asked some good questions based on what I did.  I refrained from telling her about weapons, and other survival items, for the sake of opsec.
After we talked about 5 mins, she asked if I would talk to a team making a video about people that are prepared to handle castrophes. I did give them by phone number. I am concerned about opsec, but an oppurtunity to help others prepare sounds interesting. For each of us that is out of the loop of refugees means the world can send resources to where they are needed. One reason is that I believe the idea of surviving as a ;one farm is not as good as the community surviving.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 5:00:57 PM EDT
[#1]
eject eject eject

Those folks that want to know can use the net. OpSec is right - and I wouldn't consider letting them into my house without a warrent. No good can come of this. I realize that you want to help others out, but you have to find a way to do it that doesn't compromise your families safety.

Basically, start thinking a bit more selfishly. There are all sorts of predators out there. Some are neighbours. Some are in power.  I can pretty much guarantee that if you are really prepped, you'll be raising some eyebrows in organizations that won't be looking out for your well being.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 5:25:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I ran into a group of FEMA Corps at Cracker Barrel this morning.  After doing some research, I was ready to run the other way.  Although I dont think that they looked to be the best representation of our government.  And my daughter could outrun them, and she cant even walk yet.  Good luck with whatever direction you chose to go with helping them. And glad to hear your home was ok.  I have some work to put in, but my wife is coming around so that should make it easier.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 5:36:26 PM EDT
[#3]
dont go!! dont do it!! run the other way!

they just want to know who to round up first, when the 'time' comes.  or who is going to give them trouble.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 5:46:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Sort of the way I have been thinking
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 5:50:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 5:54:35 PM EDT
[#6]
RUN,  do not,  walk the other way.............
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:39:43 PM EDT
[#7]
You know I actually gave this some thought and looked for ways to give FEMA the benefit of the doubt.  But it sounds like it boiled down to one statement if you think it through:

"We'd like to know why you're not more dependent on the government."

And with that, in the current political climate, I can't imagine they want to learn from your example how to help people be less dependent.  Dependency is where this governments power comes from.  So yeah this is full of fail.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:34:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Just think of yourself as Samson and she and FEMA are Delilah. RUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:39:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't know if i agree.  Much of the current media stuff that i have seen from FEMA recently is geared toward getting people to at least have some minimum preps.  think 72 hour kit.  that doesn't sound like they are trying to keep people dependent on them.  after all it is hard to pilot your black helicoptors when you are busy handing out bottled water.

if all they want is a conversation and some general info offer to meet them in a neutral location, and print off some generic prepping info from the interweb.  i wouldn't offer to let them into my house, but i don't like anyone unknown in my house...

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:45:52 AM EDT
[#10]
You have to remember I am a first responder, I am supposed to have a super secret ID that gets me through roadblocks
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:50:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You have to remember I am a first responder, I am supposed to have a super secret ID that gets me through roadblocks

might be a good opportunity then.  as a first responder you may have to work closely with FEMA at some point.  build bridges but don't give up OPSEC
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:26:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I was in Lowes the other day getting some special LED bulbs.  I passed a table manned by a woman from FEMA. She was polite, very nice m and asked me if I had damage from Sandy?  I told her no thank you, we had no damage. She was sort of amazed so I explained to her I designed the house to handle storms like that. That it was stressed for a category 4 storm. She asked some good questions based on what I did.  I refrained from telling her about weapons, and other survival items, for the sake of opsec.
After we talked about 5 mins, she asked if I would talk to a team making a video about people that are prepared to handle castrophes. I did give them by phone number. I am concerned about opsec, but an oppurtunity to help others prepare sounds interesting. For each of us that is out of the loop of refugees means the world can send resources to where they are needed. One reason is that I believe the idea of surviving as a ;one farm is not as good as the community surviving.

Are you willing to share about storm-hardening your house here?  

I'm beginning the planning phase of building my own house.  No blue prints, but lots of notes and scraps of paper.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:20:05 AM EDT
[#13]
I wouldnt let them in your house but the idea of putting together a powerpoint or other mini presentation on simple steps to prepare for a disaster would be a great way to help the community, even if FEMA is the middle man distributing your information.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:23:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Uh... there's more than one post about Sandy talking about who waited in line for gas and who didn't. Same with the generators. They were "sold out" except for the FBI.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:27:37 AM EDT
[#15]
copy Florida's coastal building codes and you should not have a problem

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:41:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
With all the  people here who love to complain about the "sheeple" and make fun of how unprepared they are, this sounds like a great opportunity to get the word out on how not to become a victim of a disaster.  

+1
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:12:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I wouldnt let them in your house but the idea of putting together a powerpoint or other mini presentation on simple steps to prepare for a disaster would be a great way to help the community, even if FEMA is the middle man distributing your information.

The coordinator of the county CERT group here, along with the state of NH has asked me to give talks on best practices for backup power, as well as backup comms. They coordinate with FEMA, but at no time during either workshop did I feel like an anal probing was imminent. Quite the contrary actually-my information was very well received, and several attendees have gone on to get ham or GMRS licenses, and several more now have gensets and/or portable power stations. While I'd never invite a gov agency into my home to inventory my stuff, I feel that the transfer of knowledge is important

In my way of thinking, every family that I can help to make self-sufficient is one less family to worry about in an emergency. It was also a good opportunity to network and meet new people. I've been asked to do another backup power workshop, and I intend to help.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:10:11 AM EDT
[#18]
CJan, that would be a good tacked post here.
As for storm proofing a House, There are a few things I didn't do, but can at least retrofit them later. To start after  talking to a few local contractors....I was not happy with any of them. It was we build you house our way. I went with a manufactured house.  It was built in a factory, kiln dried wood, no weather exposure, and more strength.

The house is built is boxes and they are stacked on site. Each box is one structural unit, they do not rely on another unit for their strength. Outer walls are 2x6 on 16 centers. The marriage wall (where the boxes join) is two 2x4 walls bolted together. The floor is 2x10 and ceilings are 2x8. I kept penetrations in the marriage wall to a minimum to enhance their strength. Since they are trucked to the site they have to be able to handle road vibration and bumps. I had far less sheet-rock cracks than houses I had toured prior to buying, I feel that since they had all 4 walls per box the strengthen it.

The house is also built to Rhode Island code which is stricter than NJ especially with snow loads. As NJ didn;t require me to bolt the marriage wall at the top, but I did that anyway. Also I went back and did many fasteners at  closer intervals than required. One being the straps that fasten the boxes to the sill plate. one every 2' instead of 4'.

As designed at the manufacturer the house can handle a category 4 storm.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:18:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Next is the basement, Superior walls, concrete, and steel panels, R12.5 insulation with space for another R19. The center of the basement is spanned by and 8' I beam.The I beam had two Lally columns that are about 9' 6"s apart. This is not required but strengthens it.  The modules have one edge resting on it and 3 edges resting on the concrete walls. When it is bolted together They are all fastened together, making in one large stressed skin box, It is on an 8"+ bed of stones with a french drain.
The siding is Crane Board. It locks together and has an R-value of 4.5 on top of R19 in the walls. it forms a vinyl  envelope around the house. Windows are Anderson 400 Low E, the basement windows area also Low-E and tempered.
I want to have 3M window film put on the windows. The utilites are all buried to the house and trees are cut back, I have a couple more that I am going to cut down. They are leaning away from the house by the prevailing winds. They will be going and I am thinking of some pines to act as a wind break, Pines have a deep tap root and handle the wind better than the oak
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:41:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Next is the basement, Superior walls, concrete, and steel panels, R12.5 insulation with space for another R19. The center of the basement is spanned by and 8' I beam.The I beam had two Lally columns that are about 9' 6"s apart. This is not required but strengthens it.  The modules have one edge resting on it and 3 edges resting on the concrete walls. When it is bolted together They are all fastened together, making in one large stressed skin box, It is on an 8"+ bed of stones with a french drain.
The siding is Crane Board. It locks together and has an R-value of 4.5 on top of R19 in the walls. it forms a vinyl  envelope around the house. Windows are Anderson 400 Low E, the basement windows area also Low-E and tempered.
I want to have 3M window film put on the windows. The utilites are all buried to the house and trees are cut back, I have a couple more that I am going to cut down. They are leaning away from the house by the prevailing winds. They will be going and I am thinking of some pines to act as a wind break, Pines have a deep tap root and handle the wind better than the oak

Screw the fema video, you should sell a similar video.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:52:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
RUN,  do not,  walk the other way.............

This. Nothing good comes from associating with the gov. Especially FEMA.

Always remember who the biggest threat is to you and your family.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:07:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Who was the manufacturer of your home?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:24:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Never invite the man into your life.... And you re going to get raped.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:03:31 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't see a lot of downside in talking to them, though I wouldn't invite them over to the house.

My guess is you never hear from them, though.  I doubt the lady sitting at the home depot table has much pull w/ the organization –– likely not enough to convince them they should take advice from a civilian...

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:27:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Never invite the man into your life.... And you re going to get raped.

Possibly.

Anyone remember the Crow and Fox fable???

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:26:08 PM EDT
[#26]
For the sake of OPSEC?  You talk too much.  Ever wonder why Nat Geo has a steady supply of folks for their prepping shows?  Those folks like to talk too.  Keep quiet and help your family and friends.  Nothing you can tell them isn't already available to them.  Blend in with the crowd.  "I have already been helped and will make it through.  Thanks for everything you folks do."  Then walk.

I wouldn't give FEMA too much credit, but you don't know who this woman will open her mouth to, and those folks run their mouths to.  Someone somewhere will raise an eyebrow.  Seriously- some of you need to work on keeping your mouth shut.  No thank you, I am busy, have a good day.  It's no one's business but yours.

Your community is not going to change because of this.  If anything they will just whine more and blame you for being ok.  They had a weeks warning and ignored it.  You can't fix stupid.  Feel bad for you guys out there, but some of your neighbors are just plain mouth breathers who couldn't make it 2 days on their own.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top